test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Tholian Reputation

coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
I'm surprised this doesn't already have a thread, so I decided to make one myself.

From the teaser site *clears throat*
THOLIAN REPUTATION

Join the fight against the Tholians in this new Reputation and unlock exclusive rewards and benefits for maximum level captains.

So, new rep system. Yay! Boo! (delete as appropriate).

I'm hoping the content is like Tholian specific STF style missions - Tholians are some of the toughest enemies to fight in the game, and they are perfect for elite group missions. Not so happy about having to grind Nukara if there is no new content.

And what shiny new toys could we get? What passive perks?

Let us speculate!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• humblesheephumblesheep Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Rep systems, Boo!

Sorry, until they change the click-slide, click-slide over and over again interface, I'm not impressed. Its not a starbase project with lots of contributors adding stuff when they can, its just so boring - especially for multiple toons.

Write some new code, cant be that hard.
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    New Reputation System, meh.
    New toys, yay!
    Tholian STFs, boo!

I hate fighting Tholians, they're annoying as heck. It's not that I have trouble with them, but that it's really annoying having to deal with their webs and shutdowns.
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    As with everything else in Not-S8, it's going to come down to implementation.

If it's done in a way that doesn't emphasize pointless grind and repetition, while at the same time adding in spiffy new QoL powers and items it'll be great.

If we're running around Nukara tagging lava-bunnies...not so much.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Tholian Bridge Officer please... :P
  • lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I like the current reputation system in concept, but the prices are too damn high!!! (Insert meme here).

The Tholians are indeed anoying. I can deal with the webs but every 2 hits or so from their tetryon beams always seems to knock out a system.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • voxinvictusvoxinvictus Member Posts: 261
    edited March 2013
    Personally, I can't stand Tholians. An entire faction based around slowing everything down with shutdowns and space walls. Meh. Maybe if/when there are some decent rewards for fighting them it will feel better.

Should be fun trying to grind out three reps at the same time on a Romulan while building a starbase.
  • defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Go to Nukara Prime and tag 30 lil spiders. :P
    edited March 2013
    Am I right in assuming that the Tholian reputation will be for FEDs and KDF as well as Romulan?

While that is the implication, I've seen no confirmation of it yet.
  • voxinvictusvoxinvictus Member Posts: 261
    edited March 2013
    Am I right in assuming that the Tholian reputation will be for FEDs and KDF as well as Romulan?

It would be fairly ridiculous to assume otherwise.
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    hypl wrote: »
    Tholian Bridge Officer please... :P

ooh! .. now!...YES!.... I'll go for this please :D
    server_hamster6.png
  • pointedearspointedears Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    defalus wrote: »
    Go to Nukara Prime and tag 30 lil spiders. :P

says the person afraid of spiders :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • alarcarespalarcaresp Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Maybe Tholians not as bad as it looks, if they constanly shutdown systems we are going to need something to tank the CC so this will make the cruisers/engs/scis more valuable something that this game really need , to be honest I am starting to get bored to the DPS-STFS.
  • calaminthacalamintha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sorry, until they change the click-slide, click-slide over and over again interface, I'm not impressed.

I can't but agree. Who came up with the idea in the first place?
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I can't really say I enjoy fighting them(the way boffs practically run towards radiation crystals and mines on ground is about as bad as the lockdown-spam in space), but I wouldn't mind having their torpedos and such actually be readily accessible.
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Uggh, more grind, more rediculous set item powers to further ruin any semblence of fun in pvp and no doubt more buffing passives that will no doubt have ludicrous timegates attatched due to being part of a rep system...

...my guess...the web generator will be turned into a torpedo/mine weapon that'll drive every pvper to despair, there will be a tholian console (I reckon it'll be some kind of power bonus with added crit/defence) and some widow drone in place of a rear weapon slot (or some kind of thermionic weapon beam turret type thing)

As to weaponry...a tetryon/polaron hybrid energy type weapon set seems most likely..

In any case, I'm really not looking foward to a whole new slew of rep trash to contend with
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This might be the reason why we haven't seen Advanced Tholian Widows in the Dilithium Store. They are saving it for Tholian reputation.
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yes, Tholians are a royal pain in the butt to fight. Which is why they would make great end game elite mission material. They would be a challenge, not a 10 minute blast through ISE with optionals.

I also suspect that if this were the case, the rep system itself would offer equipment that would protect against disables or other Tholian trickery - kinda like how all the Omega stuff comes with strong plasma resistances.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hope there are Tholian STFs.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
    edited March 2013
    coupaholic wrote: »
    Yes, Tholians are a royal pain in the butt to fight. Which is why they would make great end game elite mission material. They would be a challenge, not a 10 minute blast through ISE with optionals.

I also suspect that if this were the case, the rep system itself would offer equipment that would protect against disables or other Tholian trickery - kinda like how all the Omega stuff comes with strong plasma resistances.

The cheese factor of a given enemy type doesn't make them good opponents. Endlessly Spamming disables doesn't make Tholians good opponents, it makes them stupidly annoying. Just like crazy stacks of health and idiotic one-shots don't make Borg good opponents.
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hope its getting STF-like and not new Romulus-like.
    I like the Tholians, one of the most squishi opponents in the game. The only thing preventing them from total anihilation with the first salvo is their weapon disabling. But pretty easy to counter.
  • nabuborianabuboria Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm no Tholian expert, what possible new toys could we get? :P
    [SIGPIC] Element CKY Electric [/SIGPIC]
    "similar to our already generous free-to-play philosophy" - Insert Keith Lemon laugh
  • tribbleorlfltribbleorlfl Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Keeping my fingers crossed for more Phased Tetryon weapons.
    edited March 2013
    nabuboria wrote: »

Off the top of my head...thermionic torpedoes, temporal thingamabobs, possibly widow fighters, advanced tetryon weapons, web doohickeys probably.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    How long before we get an actual Tholian Assembly Faction?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    nabuboria wrote: »
    The Tholians were keeping one of these in their other timeline.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • enterprise629enterprise629 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I hope Tholian points will be given on Nuka Prime also. It would make sense, well, from my point of view.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm not looking forward to more grinding, especially on 9 characters (3 being future Romulan characters).

And honestly, I'm sick to death of the Tholians.
  • originpioriginpi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    And that weapon that the Dreadnoughts use that causes their target to involuntarily subspace jump :D

Though that does, admittedly, have limited application.

The KDF already has that, on one of the Bortasqu varients. Called Subspace Snare.

Only use I've found is to troll KASE by teleporting Donatra so people get hit by thalaron weapon.