test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

@Devs: Cancelling Reputation Projects

twoblindmonkstwoblindmonks Member Posts: 255
I don't know about anyone else, but I think the ability to CANCEL a reputation project should be hot-fixed into the game. Tonight. It is, in fact, such basic functionality, that I consider it a 'bug' that it is not currently a feature on Holodeck. Furthermore, the feature should refund all resources spent in the project. Resources should only be nonrefundable once a project actually commences its countdown (which you should have to click another button to start, not have it start automatically once resources are all full). I expect this in the next few days, and it is quite frankly inexcusable that it has not been patched into the reputation system, as the system is broken without it.

No questions, no excuses, just do it.

Comments

• Options
    f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    let me guess, you accidentally started the wrong project.

They've said repeatedly that they are working on it. There are some coding hurdles that have to be overcome, as well as some logistical and potential exploit issues that need to be dealt with before they can add that feature. As awesome as some of their coders are, they can't just wave a magic want and fix it, no matter how much QQing you do.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Don't believe the company line. It's really not that complicated to add in project cancellation. And LOL @ 'feature.' More like basic functionality.
    edited March 2013
    But ... what if they are telling the truth and that it's harder than anyone really knows?

I mean, I want it too. But demanding it gets done "tonight" and to "expect this in the next few days" is just going to cause stress and anger over ... a game?

Not to mention, players have been demanding this for weeks if not months already :eek:

Humbly speaking, I'd rather they spend the time to complete the KDF faction.

Good luck with your demands! :)
  • Options
    valis67valis67 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    would be nice to cancel a project.
  • Options
    thenumber55thenumber55 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    you must be hell of a programer if you think it is so simple to just do something in a mmo

with how crazy and interconnected the code is
  • Options
    eisaakazeisaakaz Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I am sure when they created it, it did have a cancel option.

... but if you make a mistake you are more likely to spend real money to make the problem go away. You might be short the 64K dilithium you need to finish the mistake so... boom! zen purchase!

so the Overlords took it out.

Eisaak
  • Options
    probe1171probe1171 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    would help me out a lot.
  • Options
    dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    A competently designed system would have had this ability in it from the start. It should have been in the fleet system as well for that matter.

The anti-exploit part is as simple as this: You can only cancel unfunded projects.

But as we all know, our Devs would rather design a crappy system so they can claim to be fixing it in the future than get it right in the first place.
  • Options
    duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    finishing the project might be the quicker alternative though..
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited March 2013
    Don't believe the company line. It's really not that complicated to add in project cancellation. And LOL @ 'feature.' More like basic functionality.

It's not a question if they can cancel a project. They can. The problem is much, much deeper.

They didn't plan for it.

Mechanism Problem One: The project management tool is universal, and used in all aspects of the game. To enable a cancel feature, they would need some mechanism to return the assets used in that project. There in lies the problem: they have no method to refund assets spent.

Assets spent were never properly tracked. Given the size of projects and the number of contributors, the dbase would be immense.

Mechanism Problem Two: Cancelling a project means that anyone who can contribute can also cancel. How would you manage players randomly (spitefully) cancelling Starbase projects?

One reasonable solution might be that only unfunded projects can be cancelled.

Herein lies the biggest problem. This is a cloud-based game with thousands of participants, spread across hundreds of instances all interacting. The updates to the databases occur in 'almost' real-time, accounting for disconnects, interruptions, and the usual garbage the internet throws at them.

Even under the most OPTIMAL circumstances, there would be no way to 'uncheck' a project effectively without creating potential errors and conflicts. It simply creates to many possible problems.

It is a fundamental design flaw and easily solved by STOP CLICKING BUTTONS RANDOMLY.

My Two Bits.

Admiral Thrax
  • Options
    duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's not a question if they can cancel a project. They can. The problem is much, much deeper.

They didn't plan for it.

Mechanism Problem One: The project management tool is universal, and used in all aspects of the game. To enable a cancel feature, they would need some mechanism to return the assets used in that project. There in lies the problem: they have no method to refund assets spent.

Assets spent were never properly tracked. Given the size of projects and the number of contributors, the dbase would be immense.

Mechanism Problem Two: Cancelling a project means that anyone who can contribute can also cancel. How would you manage players randomly (spitefully) cancelling Starbase projects?

Admiral Thrax

a solution would be - let us cancel rep projects, but resources are lost
    - no cancelling for fleet projects
  • Options
    atherrisatherris Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think to have the abbility to cancel ;)PERSONAL REPUTATION;) should be put in, but NOT Fleet!

:confused:Sorry if the big text ubove is offenceive:eek:
  • Options
    flynnflyer1flynnflyer1 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It is even more simple. Add additional tab where only reputation projects are available. That way if you click or choose the wrong one its your fault for not reading first.
    Flyer
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Why would canceling be tied to permission to contribute to projects instead of managing them?

Really, there's no need for refunds. I don't care if I lose everything I've spent on it so far. Even then it would help if you accidentally pick (or the game decided to do it for you) the wrong project.
  • Options
    thisisoverlordthisisoverlord Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Closer to the truth is probably more the fact that this has been put on the back burner for sometime because it doesn't have the potential to make revenue.

As for "Admiral Thrax" people don't intentionally click the wrong button, for example this happened to me simply because of server lag. The solution in the short term is simply add a dialogue before commit.

"Are you sure you'd like to slot 'project name here'" or even "type "omfgiwantdisprojectz" to confirm selection" as they already do when you want to delete are star ship.

The idea that they couldn't have introduced preventative measures is even more of a joke.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's really not that complicated to add in project cancellation.

Always funny to see when Johnny Random knows how "easy" it is to code something into an existing and running program. You really don't know **** about how easy or difficult it is. Comments like these really show big your lack of knowledge on the subject is.
  • Options
    eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Always funny to see when Johnny Random knows how "easy" it is to code something into an existing and running program. You really don't know **** about how easy or difficult it is. Comments like these really show big your lack of knowledge on the subject is.

Agreed. People who think this should try running a Minecraft server sometime. Then, switch to Bukkit. Then, install CommandHelper. Then, try to automate every administrative task you can think of (anti-griefing measures, protection zone creation or claiming, fast-travel mechanisms, etc.) so that you don't have to be present. It's do-able, but you'll fast learn how interdependent and complicated the code can become.

Just as an example, my INCREDIBLY SIMPLE, UNCOMPLICATED permissions checks are currently 58 lines of code, and keep growing as I add more functions and options. And that's for an incredibly simple game with virtually no overhead, almost nothing to manage/track, and comparatively very few players.

Canceling and refunding reputation projects is a lot more complex than that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    But then the PEBKAC God wouldn't get its share of wasted dil and other various resources!
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The devs have said that when they put in cancelling projects you won't be refunded and it will work for only reputation except the odd special fleet project like the Winter project that can only be cancelled by a fleet leader.
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Every time I click on a rep project I get a prompt reminding me that if I choose this I can't remove it, so if I go ahead and choose it anyway I can't blame anyone and if I contribute resources, I'm further committed. The lesson here is don't be click happy when you go into the Rep Tab, be careful and think about your choices.
    The only projects you should be able to cancel are the ones you haven't committed resources to, if you have committed resources and then change your mind, well tough, suck it up, take responsibility for your choices and finish what you started.
    If you jump into a swimming pool from the high board, you don't get to change your mind halfway to the water.

As for imperiously demanding that this be fixed, right now, good luck with that attitude.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Every time I click on a rep project I get a prompt reminding me that if I choose this I can't remove it, so if I go ahead and choose it anyway I can't blame anyone and if I contribute resources, I'm further committed.

Yep. The game is infallible.

http://i.imgur.com/mweP8jV.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/WFKHK9u.jpg

It's always players' fault. Anyway, I find it pretty incredible that they didn't add project canceling right from the start. At least they had one in the duty officer system.
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Nobody said the game was infallible and if you're going to cite examples then pick one relevant to the discussion, not picked from something unrelated just to make a point.
    Sure project cancellation should be an option, for projects that aren't started, but cancellation and resource refunds for projects partially completed should not be an option, it would be just another example of people wanting the game dumbed down because they don't want to take the time to think about what they are doing.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    calamintha wrote: »
    Yep. The game is infallible.

http://i.imgur.com/mweP8jV.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/WFKHK9u.jpg

It's always players' fault. Anyway, I find it pretty incredible that they didn't add project canceling right from the start. At least they had one in the duty officer system.

This has happened to me way too many times.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm really upset about this too, particularly since it's the character I've poured the most time into, and I don't have a carrier on her, and probably never will. :(
  • Options
    kobayashlmarukobayashlmaru Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Cryptic did plan for it. They knew it was a problem and told the community before it the changes even launched. The problem was they didn't have an easy solution to fix it and didn't want to delay the launch until they found one.

It's probably easy to simply not refund points spent in a cancelled project. But as soon as you offer that as a solution you will find another issue - someone in a "position of power" has a chance to ruin the hard work other fleet mates put on a project. The larger the fleet the bigger the problem might be. Not to mention the potential havoc leaders who do not want to leave quietly can cause.

Here is another potential issue - it offers an exploit where you can get fleet credits without having to grind fleet marks, DOff's, dilithium, etc. simply by filling up whatever you have in abundance, cancelling the project, and doing it again.

So there are two examples the dev's are faced with, I'm sure there are lots of others the devs have identified as well. Implementing the change in the code probably isn't as difficult as determining it's total impact in gameplay.
    Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I've never needed to cancel one. But it's embarrassing this system was ever released without the option of doing so. I have no idea how you even get past planning something on paper without that. If someone brings you this idea on paper and it doesn't include that, the first thing you're going to point out is "Well you have to add this, or you're going to run into problems". I have literally no idea how that doesn't occur among professional game designers.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    But as soon as you offer that as a solution you will find another issue - someone in a "position of power" has a chance to ruin the hard work other fleet mates put on a project. The larger the fleet the bigger the problem might be.

Currently they might add projects that cost dilithium which would be really bad for smaller fleets. Or they could empty the fleet bank.
    Here is another potential issue - it offers an exploit where you can get fleet credits without having to grind fleet marks, DOff's, dilithium, etc. simply by filling up whatever you have in abundance, cancelling the project, and doing it again.

Locking the canceled project slot for 20 hours could work if they feel that would be an issue. Besides I don't see how canceling could be used to abuse your personal reputation system.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

It's hilarious when Freddy Random (you) think you know anything at all about me. Like, at all. So, in the future, keep those kinds of opinions to yourself.