test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Despite all the complaints about STO....

disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Ten Forward
As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
Post edited by disposeableh3r0 on

Comments

• Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited March 2013

I had seen this earlier and had the same thought.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Ah EA....the Killer of dreams and great franchises and developers:(
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I wonder how many Trek Cities will be created when they finally work the kinks out?
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    thebumblethebumble Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2013
    Their banning Origin accounts for people asking for refunds as well.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/378869

EA, the killer of all games good.
  • Options
    thisisoverlordthisisoverlord Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    EA can go to hell for what they did to Command and Conquer.

There is a reason they one worst company in America in 2012

However I think people are forgetting just how bad this game was a launch...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • Options
    ferdzso0ferdzso0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    wait. sto dont need no internet connection all the time? I gotz to try that

10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2
  • Options
    kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    An MMO is one thing. It is a multi player only game. People dislike when a single player game requires a connection. I tend to agree, tho less vehemently. I just don't give those games money.

There is a reason I don't use Steam or Origin or such. This is it. TRIBBLE locking out my entire game collection because some temp in a call center decided to ban my account...
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • Options
    kobayashlmarukobayashlmaru Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    They will fix the servers. But what they can't fix is the strong community of modelers/builders who will leave once they find only official DLC mods are allowed.

This is one game I'm sad to say I'm not touching until they allow me to build my custom mods again. :(
    Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Obviously the best way for EA to combat piracy is to make piracy the only way to actually play the game.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    darkjeff wrote: »
    Obviously the best way for EA to combat piracy is to make piracy the only way to actually play the game.

Yeah or ruin game franchises like C&C so bad that no one wants to pirate the game in the first place :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • Options
    kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sim City on Amazon

^ I thought that was so funny that I took a screenshot of it. I have never seen a game get 1 star so fast so quickly after its release. I read on Gameinformer.com that Amazon even stopped selling copies of it.

Here's the Gameinformer article if you want to read it:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/03/07/simcity-fallout-continues.aspx
  • Options
    ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Now I remember why I haven't bought an EA games in a LONG time. Threatening to ban your origin account for asking for a refund? Wow... just... wow. Way to go EA, talk about shooting yourselves in the foot. Only so much TRIBBLE a community will take before it hurts your public image, and right now that's not looking very good either.

Just feel sorry for the folks who bought this game, it's wasted money until they manage to sort out the server issues (if they do). Another instance of a game requiring always online DRM for SINGLE PLAYER!

/facepalm
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    ufpterrell wrote: »
    Now I remember why I haven't bought an EA games in a LONG time. Threatening to ban your origin account for asking for a refund? Wow... just... wow. Way to go EA, talk about shooting yourselves in the foot. Only so much TRIBBLE a community will take before it hurts your public image, and right now that's not looking very good either.

Just feel sorry for the folks who bought this game, it's wasted money until they manage to sort out the server issues (if they do). Another instance of a game requiring always online DRM for SINGLE PLAYER!

/facepalm

the sad part is EA can carry on doing as they please as long as the Sims and FIFA football series are making huge cash.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2013
    I have played maybe 2 hours, by myself. I've spent 4 or 5 trying to play with others and failing.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    djconcentusdjconcentus Member Posts: 177 Media Corps
    edited March 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    I have played maybe 2 hours, by myself. I've spent 4 or 5 trying to play with others and failing.

I've spent at least 7 hours going "I told you so" and getting a cheap laugh from all the people on the Internet who have doubted us cynics when we warned them about the always-on DRM and lack of client-side save features.

So all in all: Sim City (EA's Take On It) - Bad for people trying to play it, Fun for those of us who are on an EA boycott.
    The opinions expressed in my posts are not necessarily those of my employer or Subspace Radio.
    Host of the Borg Boombox, 0300 GMT on Fridays on Subspace Radio
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited March 2013
    "Play 2 hours, spend 4-5 trying to play." Reminds me a bit of the first week of STO open beta. Still, that was beta, you expect issues, not like a live launch.

In any case, yeah EA is terrible. I had such annoying problems trying to get Battlefield 3 to update and Mass Effect 3 to work at all through Origin that I refuse to get any more games that use it. I wish Dice and Bioware would or could get out from under EA.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I've spent at least 7 hours going "I told you so" and getting a cheap laugh from all the people on the Internet who have doubted us cynics when we warned them about the always-on DRM and lack of client-side save features.

So all in all: Sim City (EA's Take On It) - Bad for people trying to play it, Fun for those of us who are on an EA boycott.

This is just another step in big media's desire to try to force us all into having pay-per-access entertainment, or something similarly expensive and draconian.

Hopefully things like this will cripple them before they get us irretrievably far down that route.

At this point I'm thinking of digging out my old copy of SimCity 2000 and sticking it on DOSBox for old time's sake, because there is no way I'm going to be purchasing SimCity 5 or anything with similar copy protection.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    And they say you should feel guilty about pirating from game creators......
  • Options
    csgtmyorkcsgtmyork Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh............ EA...... Now you remind me why I never want to buy another one of your horrid games ever again.

Except maybe Dead Space 3. Maybe.
    "Correction. Humans have rules in war. Rules that make victory a little harder to achieve, in my opinion."
    Elim Garak
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    red01999 wrote: »
    This is just another step in big media's desire to try to force us all into having pay-per-access entertainment, or something similarly expensive and draconian.

Hopefully things like this will cripple them before they get us irretrievably far down that route.

At this point I'm thinking of digging out my old copy of SimCity 2000 and sticking it on DOSBox for old time's sake, because there is no way I'm going to be purchasing SimCity 5 or anything with similar copy protection.

Hehe I still play Dune 2000 [RIP Westwood]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I don't see why you need a new sim-city game anyway -- I still play the hell out of 2 and 3. :)
  • Options
    kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I loved Sim City 4, and would have considered getting the new one, but I read that because your city's save file exists server-side, all changes to it are permanent. Which means you can't build up a booming metropolis of 1 million people, and then rain fire and death down onto it for fun, and then reload your city. You could do that in previous versions because your save files were on your PC.

Meh. It's only a matter of time now before some other developer makes a better city builder without DRM, and everyone flocks to it as the fore-front city simulation.
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Which means you can't build up a booming metropolis of 1 million people, and then rain fire and death down onto it for fun, and then reload your city.
    They've also had people lose hours of work because of EA's server fails. Apparently the connection broke while they were playing, and they had no way of knowing - other than when they next managed to get back into their single player game, at which point they discovered a giant chunk of their previous session was never saved.

What's needed is a public shaming campaign - on behalf of American troops on foreign soil. Clearly always-online DRM is anti-Freedom, denying the troops downtime while they're busying dying for 'Murica.

:P
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    darkjeff wrote: »
    They've also had people lose hours of work because of EA's server fails. Apparently the connection broke while they were playing, and they had no way of knowing - other than when they next managed to get back into their single player game, at which point they discovered a giant chunk of their previous session was never saved.

What's needed is a public shaming campaign - on behalf of American troops on foreign soil. Clearly always-online DRM is anti-Freedom, denying the troops downtime while they're busying dying for 'Murica.

:P

One of the things I find hilarious is the claim from the gaming industry that piracy was killing the industry. It's hilarious because piracy has been around since the dawn of gaming, many of us cloned tapes and disks in the 1980's did it kill of the industry? no... it continued to reach ever greater heights. The reality is Piracy has never had an effect on the bottom line or growth of the marketplace, I don't think you can say the same for DRM :cool:

To quote a famous princess... "The more you tighten your grip the more worlds will slip through your fingers"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hehe I still play Dune 2000 [RIP Westwood]

As do I! :D

When the pirated copy happens to run better than the real deal, you know there's an issue. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I will never buy a single-player game that requires an internet connection.

With STO, I know what I'm getting into; if the server's down, or my internet is being my internet, I can't play. But I knew that going in.

SimCity? No. Just no. I don't even care why it needs a connection; DRM, content I'll never use, whatever. TRIBBLE that.

I can still play SimCity 2000, now over twenty years old. You won't be able to play SimCity 5 twenty years from now. Its authentication servers won't exist anymore.
  • Options
    redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hell, I still remember playing the very first SimCity game. It only required a 1.4Mb floppy disk back then...
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I played The Sims for a while before I got into STO. I pretty much only play STO and on occasion Spore now.

I uninstalled The Sims and threw it away when I looked at my internet usage logs from my ISP and saw that The Sims used up twice as much data as STO. In single-player mode! With all possible internet connection options turned off!

I thought about trying the new Sim City, but as long as I have to have an always-on internet connection in single-player mode, it's not happening.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Hell, I still remember playing the very first SimCity game. It only required a 1.4Mb floppy disk back then...

Lol yeah the big time games back then like Monkey Island 2 or Fate of Atlantis required 5 disks :D with groundbreaking VGA graphics and Sound Blaster stereo or Adlib!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Lol yeah the big time games back then like Monkey Island 2 or Fate of Atlantis required 5 disks :D with groundbreaking VGA graphics and Sound Blaster stereo or Adlib!!!!

And people were darned proud of their massive 250 MB hard drives!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.