test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Would you guys like to see a new class?

xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
Ive been playing mmo's for sometime now. Ive played SWG, played some... WoW for abit, then rushed out the door on that one, and finally was hooked on this. Over the course of a games life, Ive always noticed game dev's would always try to spice thngs up abit, try new approaches and new avenues. One thing I have found that tends to happen frequent in an MMO's life span is that they tend to bring out new classes for their games.

My question to you all is.. is it time to bring a new class into the game "spice things up", and what class would you like to see come forth?

For myself Id really love a "Command" class. We have Engineers, Tactical Officers, and Science Officers, just seems to be the right approach to bring forth a Command Class.

\discuss
borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
Post edited by xlocutusofborgx on

Comments

• Options
    elandarkskyelandarksky Member Posts: 1,013 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    short of a name, what would a 'command' class entail?

(if anything command class feels like "playable character".. but thats jsut me ^^)(that or command class sounds like someone who has to shuffle papers :D)
    [Combat (Self)] Your Bite deals 2378 (1475) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother.
  • Options
    xigbargxigbarg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sounds like something for carriers.

For a new captain class, I say not a person with abilities but with a bunch of passives. With a boost in achievement, reputation, and trait passives as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    short of a name, what would a 'command' class entail?

(if anything command class feels like "playable character".. but thats jsut me ^^)(that or command class sounds like someone who has to shuffle papers :D)

In my eyes (sorry i cant stop lauphing at the shuffle paper work comment) the "Command Class" would offer more command abilities to groups. Maybe see more group formation abilities/buffs, maybe the ability to enhance a groups weapons performance, which I kinda got the idea when Cpt Picard took control of the fleet during first contact and ordered the fleet to fire on the set of coordinates on the borg cube. Maybe take this further, abilites that could find weekness's in the enemies the group is fighting.

Same principles would go with the ground. Im sure it could get expanded alot further.
  • Options
    csgtmyorkcsgtmyork Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Command Class? How about Operations? That just sounds... better.
    "Correction. Humans have rules in war. Rules that make victory a little harder to achieve, in my opinion."
    Elim Garak
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    csgtmyork wrote: »
    Command Class? How about Operations? That just sounds... better.

For sure that could go as well. Defenetly.
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Intelligence officer? Might be a kind of tac/sci hybrid; sort of a stealthy caster class.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    capnmanx wrote: »
    Intelligence officer? Might be a kind of tac/sci hybrid; sort of a stealthy caster class.

Ohh i like that idea, and its something we really dont have in this game. Something with a "stealth/lurk in the shadows" if you will profession/class.
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hmm.. an interesting idea.. although I imagine the abilities thing could possibly be covered through the rep system - perhaps a 'leadership' one you advance by doing group content.

Personally, I'd rather just have some more tactical variety with our loadouts. Rapid fire missiles, long range artillery and channeled beam weapons as standardized equipment, etc.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    what class would you like to see come forth?

Wizard. I'd love to finally do some real space magic. They can even expand Starfleet Academy to have a Hogwarts Annex.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Trek nerds would march on Cryptic and burn it to the ground if they added another division

Factions are the way forward, more power to them
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I really can't see another class in STO within the Military Structure.

Now if Cryptic actually implements a Civilian / Merchant / Freelancer faction, I could see them adding that as a fourth option. Of course you wouldn't be doing Starfleet Military missions and such.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I would prefer to see something analogous to prestige classes or something like that.
  • Options
    lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited March 2013
    No,
    I would rather have them remove all classes altogether. We are captains, we are in the command chain. We don't pilot our ships our self, we don't fiddle with the engines our selfs, we don't fire our ships weapons our self. We tell our flunkies to do it.
  • Options
    delsabereduxdelsaberedux Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I would prefer to see something analogous to prestige classes or something like that.

I like this idea a lot. Kits kind of allow players to specialize to some degree but it's not enough as-is. Getting the ability to prestige and further specialize our classes into subdivisions would be great, at max level or anywhere else. Especially if it has an effect on non-combat gameplay like crafting and such.

Maybe the Rep system should be the start of this, or Prestige/Specialization/Whateverwecallit could be an entirely new tab on the character sheet.

As an Engineer primarily I'd love to see Fabrication Engineer become an official Prestige class. But all three classes should ideally have at least three possible Prestige paths. The existing kits form the groundwork, but that could probably be expanded upon.

This would be especially great if we could use Prestige options to create hybrid characters.
    Relax.
  • Options
    malclavemalclave Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Trek nerds would march on Cryptic and burn it to the ground if they added another division
    Just make the default uniform color the same as Kirk's lime green wraparound in TOS and they'll quiet down.

A "Command" class might also be concentrated on group abilities... buffing all team damage a certain percentage, or crit chance, or shield strength. They'd be weaker solo, but good additions to teams.
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's an MMO so it has Tank, Healer and Fighter specializations. The game has different captains because the series had different captains. Kirk was a tactician, Picard was an archeologist, Janeway was an astrophysicist, Sisko was an engineer and I suppose you could call Archer another tactician, although I'm more inclined to think of him as a blundering idiot.
    I understand that in MMOs part of the reason for division of abilities is to encourage/force player interaction but I honestly hope no more classes are introduced and would much prefer if existing specializations were moved into the skill trees so players had more flexibility with their captains capabilities. The needs of commanding a combat capable spaceship that is used for a variety of purposes in deep space should require captains that are cross trained in a number of different disciplines. The demands of command are the completion of orders while guaranteeing the survival of ship and crew, everything else is and should be side professions.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    speciesonespeciesone Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'd like them to split each of the existing player careers into the same categories that duty officers have:

Tactical: tactical officer, security officer
    Engineering: engineer, operations officer
    Science: science officer, medic

They could add a whole lot of fun stuff to the game by doubling the careers available and adding new abilities to each.
  • Options
    adamma1701adamma1701 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I can't think of any way to really shoehorn another class into the game. Rogue, Shaman, Jedi, Bounty Hunter... nothing works. I suppose the Doff System has already split each class into 2 divisions. Military/Security Eng/Ops Sci/Med. So they could follow that theme, but then your really just dividing the existing kit powers between 2 very similiar classes, they would need to come up with a whole bunch of new unique, balanced, and useful kit.

Cheers
  • Options
    thomasangelisthomasangelis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I would say that there should be Command, Operations, or Medical Specializations. This could be a Level cap requirement that you achieve or gain after you reach max level or a certain level. So in essence a specialization opposed to Hey Im a Tac Officer or Im and Engineer. In TNG Worf was in the command trac then transferred to operations then back to command each one had its own requirements and special skill sets, that would be nice in the game.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Like someone mentioned earlier, it could even be a non combat class as well, more civilian in aspect. There some valid points in not having another military class. Id still love to jump at the chance on having some new to tinker around with.

In SWG we had a variety of different non combat classes, crafter, entertainer, maybe something along those lines could be introduced. Maybe allowing them to branch out also to have military abilities so they could par take in combat activites. I know later in SWG's life they introduced a tree for entertainer that allowed them to be combat orienated.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I thought about expanding the civilian classes and giving the Tuffli some friends. Things like Prospectors, Mining vessels, Survey Ships, Transports, and Luxury Liners. Things like that.
  • Options
    acoldtacoldt Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    They should break the classes into their parts, engineering and operations, science and medical, and tactical and security. I'd also like to see two class modifiers that work as kind of a "hero" class. We already have one, it's called ambassador. I'd also like to see an intel officer.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I thought about expanding the civilian classes and giving the Tuffli some friends. Things like Prospectors, Mining vessels, Survey Ships, Transports, and Luxury Liners. Things like that.
    There are all kinds of hurdles that would need to be overcome for a merchant class. Its not possible in the sims-in-space game model.

Just for starters, ships dont have cargo holds, instead everything goes into character inventory. How do you have merchant class when an unarmed Tuffli and a heavily armed Defiant carry the same amount of cargo? Their revenue model depends on selling backpack space and bank space ($10 for a row of cells, they know exactly how much the demand is). There is zero chance of them adding a ship with a cargo hold--everybody would use it for supplemental storage.

Also the fact that there's absolutely no risk to being a merchant, so no room for a risk/reward model. Sector space does not support combat (its a lobby not part of the game space), and even if there was you can transwarp everywhere via several mechanisms. No room for the traditional risk-reward when there's no room for risk.

Really all you could do is have some missions that fake it. Must use ship class to land, pick up a token, take it to another place, fight off the gorn and nausican pirates, and dock. Boring.

Its not an MMORPG
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Wasnt there some talk about a revamp in the crafting department..?

If so why not.. make a trader class, that you could obtain a tuffi (though would neglect the whole thing from the dof packs) at max level and you would be allowed an option to visit "special" locations around each sector that contained an asteroid where you could go on there and mine eather the special crafting traces, or dilietheum itself and you could unlock a varied set of new shematics even some rare ones (which of course could be a very hard drop rate). Could also have boss fights for "traders" that they eather have to team up to take down and also drop special loot.

Maybe even allow traders to help other none trader classes refine more dilitheum at a cost, say refine up another 3-5k.

Just thinken of ideas :P
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    speciesone wrote: »
    I'd like them to split each of the existing player careers into the same categories that duty officers have:

Tactical: tactical officer, security officer
    Engineering: engineer, operations officer
    Science: science officer, medic

They could add a whole lot of fun stuff to the game by doubling the careers available and adding new abilities to each.

This is good. I can see them being split more for Space/ Ground focus. Tactical gets more of the Attack Patterns and Security can use Lunge like a TRIBBLE.
    <3
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Anyhow, the only class I'd like to see added is Ambassador.

But then the exploration missions would have to be greatly expanded. And there'd have to be a mechanic for talking your way out of a problem added to all of the missions. And let's face it, those Borg aren't the negotiation types.
    <3
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    There are all kinds of hurdles that would need to be overcome for a merchant class. Its not possible in the sims-in-space game model.

Just for starters, ships dont have cargo holds, instead everything goes into character inventory. How do you have merchant class when an unarmed Tuffli and a heavily armed Defiant carry the same amount of cargo? Their revenue model depends on selling backpack space and bank space ($10 for a row of cells, they know exactly how much the demand is). There is zero chance of them adding a ship with a cargo hold--everybody would use it for supplemental storage.

Not really. Just give it equipable slots that accept everything, but do nothing. Tah-Dah! Instant cargo ship!

As for supplemental storage, A. People do it anyway, and B. It's a pain in the butt, so people buy bank slots anyway.
    Also the fact that there's absolutely no risk to being a merchant, so no room for a risk/reward model. Sector space does not support combat (its a lobby not part of the game space), and even if there was you can transwarp everywhere via several mechanisms. No room for the traditional risk-reward when there's no room for risk.

Really all you could do is have some missions that fake it. Must use ship class to land, pick up a token, take it to another place, fight off the gorn and nausican pirates, and dock. Boring.

Its not an MMORPG

Sector space needs a revamp anyway.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    twg042370 wrote: »
    Anyhow, the only class I'd like to see added is Ambassador.

This already exists.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Wizard. I'd love to finally do some real space magic. They can even expand Starfleet Academy to have a Hogwarts Annex.

How can you get more magical than pulling a Tychen's Rift out of nowhere?
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon