test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The "Post From Your Mobile Device" Thread

idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2013 in Ten Forward
So I finally got myself an Android smartphone (better late than never), and find myself spending almost as much time playing around with the phone as I spend by the pc.

It was hard to type on this tiny swype thingy keyboard to begin with, but am starting to get a hang of it now.. I think.

So as the thread title says, post something, perhaps share your twitter or facebook. As long as you make the post from a phone or tablet. :)

I will share my twitter thing as soon as I figure out how. Lol
signwidrona.png
Post edited by idrona on

Comments

• pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited February 2013
    Post!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • ladydragonfuryladydragonfury Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hi!

I recommend Opera Mini as a phone browser-it uses less data and looks good too! :).
    I am NEVER calling my avatars 'toons'.
    Some people buy Tier V ships and expect to automatically win. Other people buy Tier V ships and are Tier V pilots
  • angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Testing, testing. Links 2 3 4.
  • idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hi!

I recommend Opera Mini as a phone browser-it uses less data and looks good too! :).

Thanks, I'll probably give it a try. :)

So far the built-in browser seems to work pretty good though, a bit tricky zooming in on full sized websites perhaps.

Twitter Thing

+ to Brandon for fastness.
    signwidrona.png
  • amurorx0amurorx0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hence why I use chrome on mine, though the big screen helps too :)
    Ikuzo, Trombe!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm not too fond of touch screen keyboards in general. It seems like they are all made for girly twig fingers and not guy fingers. My phone is famous for making most of my texts look like Engrish at best. I miss my Sidekick 4G but it just isn't powerful enough for today's mobile use.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2013
    How about the web devs add tapatalk support? PLEASE!?!??!?!?!?! pretty please with a cherry on top? I think it's a simple free plugin on their end.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ...Can't Touch This...
    8-)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    For those of you who have smart phones (I still have not upgraded): is the voice recognition software good enough that you could post on here with relatively few typos?

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • mikeward1701mikeward1701 Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Welcome aboard so to speak. Today it's a smartphone, tomorrow a neural implant :P

Touch screen tech has come a long way since I got my first smartphone back in 2005.
    Fleet Admiral Ward
    Commander, Starfleet Corps of Engineers • 7th Fleet
    Commanding Officer, U.S.S. HEART OF OAK • NX-1759-B • Odyssey class Star Cruiser ( Lexington Tactical Configuration)
    )
    (Steam - feel free to follow/friend me : )
    edited February 2013
    LOL, I still don't have a smart phone, but I am due for an upgrade from my cell phone carrier and considering getting one.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • mikeward1701mikeward1701 Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    gulberat wrote: »
    For those of you who have smart phones (I still have not upgraded): is the voice recognition software good enough that you could post on here with relatively few typos?

I can only speak from my experience of using Siri on iOS, I've not tried voice recognition on Android or other smartphone platforms I don't know even if they have i't integrated at the operating system level. I'm currently using Siri to dictate this post.

Voice recognition has changed a lot since it was first implemented, it used to be voice recognition was voice dependent and required hours of training now it's voice independent, can pick up words relatively easily but they still the possibility of mistakes. Also where as voice recognition used to be done on device requiring very powerful system, it's now shipped out to a server that does the work and sends back the text. Error rates are much lower than they used to be but it still gets confused with words that sound similar such as the various there's, where's, it's is etc.

Although still prone to errors it is better able to recognise where it has possibly gone wrong. In dictating this message I had to correct several words, but this consisted of clarifying the intended word from a list of possibilities.
    Fleet Admiral Ward
    Commander, Starfleet Corps of Engineers • 7th Fleet
    Commanding Officer, U.S.S. HEART OF OAK • NX-1759-B • Odyssey class Star Cruiser ( Lexington Tactical Configuration)
    )
    (Steam - feel free to follow/friend me : )
    edited February 2013
    Hi!

Now posting with Opera Mobile app, and all I can say is thanks for the tip. :)

This browser is way better than what came with the phone. The zooming, menus and handling in general feels very intuitive.

*Didn't even break a sweat posting this.*
    Welcome aboard so to speak. Today it's a smartphone, tomorrow a neural implant :P

Touch screen tech has come a long way since I got my first smartphone back in 2005.

My first "mobile" phone was about half the size of a regular brick.
    signwidrona.png
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Works really well on my Android tablet :)
    edited March 2013
    So I'm trying to fill up my phone with a few good apps, and it's a crazy jungle of apps out there.
    Below is a list of a few good ones I've found so far, not including Winamp and Opera.

I still haven't found a good image program that I'm satisfied with, I'd like some kind of combo of Photoshop express and Paint.
    Please feel free to post your favorites. :)

Mobile Office

Kingsoft Office 5.3.3(Free)
    Kingsoft Office Software Corporation Limited

Kingsoft Office is the only mobile Office with full-features FREE. Support for running on Android 2.1 and above system. User-friendly & nice UI interface
    - Small Size, Stable Operation, and Special interface!
    - Support 23 kinds of files, including DOC/DOCX/TXT/XLS/XLSX/PPT/PPTX/PDF
    - Built-in file manager that can automatically organize your office document
    - Tight integration with the mail application
    - Support cloud storages such as Google Drive, Dropbox, Box.net and other services with WebDAV protocol
    - A variety of gestures operations, which make your work more interesting
    - Support different Read Mode which be closer to the users� need

File Manager (That even lets you connect easy to the PC.)

ES File Explorer File Manager
    ES APP Group

ES File Explorer is a free, full-featured file and application manager.
    It functions as all of these apps in one: file manager, application manager, task killer, cloud storage client (compatible with Dropbox, Google Drive, SkyDrive, Box.net, Sugarsync, Yandex, Amazon S3, and Ubuntu One), FTP client, and Samba client.
    It provides access to pictures, music, video, documents, and other files on both your Android devices and your computers.
    ES File Explorer allows Android users, no matter where they are, to manage their resources for free.

Task/Process Manager and Optimizer

ES Task Manager
    ES APP Group

Save Battery, Free Memory, Kill Task, Uninstall App, Speed up the phone

Mail Client for Hotmail and Outlook.com

Outlook.com
    Microsoft + SEVEN

This official Microsoft Outlook.com app gives you easy access to Oulook.com so you never miss an email. Send and receive emails in your Outlook.com account on the go from your Android device. Sign in using your existing Microsoft account, usually your Outlook.com email address and password.
    Key features include:
    - Get email messages right away with push notifications
    - Sync with your calendar and device contacts
    - View and sync standard and custom folders, including sub-folders
    - Send, receive, and view photos and other attachments
    - Use with multiple Outlook.com accounts

Wikipedia
    Wikimedia Foundation

Official Wikipedia App for Android. Wikipedia is the free encyclopedia containing more than 20 million articles in 280 languages, and is the most comprehensive and widely used reference work humans have ever compiled.
    Features: Save article to read later or offline, Search articles nearby, Share articles using Android "Share" function, Read article in a different language, Full screen search

Yes I am still only posting from my phone in this thread.
    signwidrona.png
  • mastergenera1mastergenera1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    cant tell you about most phones but on the newer nexus phones and phones like my droid razr maxx text to speech works pretty well once it calibrates itself to your voice.my brother would be driving and speaking a text into the phone and it seems to work well with sound interference such as highway noises on the maxx.(he also owns a maxx)
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. - Thomas Jefferson
    edited March 2013
    Welcome aboard so to speak. Today it's a smart-phone, tomorrow a neural implant :P

Touch screen tech has come a long way since I got my first smart-phone back in 2005.

I got my first mobile phone in Dec. of 1999...

It was a lovely little Flip, just about the size of TOS Communicator.

I was in Trek Heaven for quite awhile after I got it. :D

It finally died in 2003 and I graduated to a 'Next Generation' touch-phone...
    (I can't remember the name of it, I wasn't that impressed)

Two years ago I got an EVO 3-D and in May I'll probably switch to one of the Samsung Galaxy's.

I want a bigger screen (old age is making my eyesight wacky), though I'm gonna miss the 3D camera.

I like some of the PAD's out there, but none that I know of make phone calls yet.

I've had Speech recognition on all but my first Flip-phone.

But honestly, I don't really use it very often.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    edited March 2013
    Think I found the image editor that I'll use, called Image Editor. lol
    It has an annoying lil ad banner on it's first screen, but seems to have a crapton of features. Now I need to find a way to shrink my fingers..

Image Editor
    SkySoftware

This app is a powerful image editor designed to be the Android alternative for Windows's Photoshop or Gimp. It supports multiple projects/tabs, multiple layers and even actions. There is also the popular Image 2 Wallpaper function to quickly set photo as wallpaper, and it can be used just as an image viewer or photo editor.
    You can do all the usual canvas or layer manipulation such as resize, crop, brush drawing, erase, draw shapes, bucket fill, select, copy, paste, delete, move, align, rotate, flip and more.

daveyny wrote: »
    Two years ago I got an EVO 3-D and in May I'll probably switch to one of the Samsung Galaxy's.

I can recommend Samsung Galaxy. :) Have to save up some money and get the flagship later this year.
    signwidrona.png
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited March 2013

I can vouche for Android and the iPhone for things being good enough for users that are toally blind. However, one person in here did point out that they aren't perfect. They are better than good but there is always room for improvement.
  • ussfuryussfury Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    At least 50% to 60% of my forum posts are on my iPad. I've bookmarked the STO forums as an icon on my desktop.
  • collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Posted from my smartphone. I do a lot of forum reading on this but not much posting as the interface on my phone is kind of clunky for inputting on websites. Right now my virtual keyboard is taking up half the screen and I can only see a few lines of text.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
    edited March 2013
    Solve this mystery.

Yup I'm bored. :rolleyes:
    signwidrona.png
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    POST from ny Android.(not Data)
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    POST from my Android.(not Data)
    edited March 2013
    Guess who broke down and got that iPhone? ;-)

Been pretty pleased with it so far. Now off to get that Wikipedia app...

edited March 2013
    idrona wrote: »
    Solve this mystery.

Yup I'm bored. :rolleyes:

That was too easy...

http://sto.perfectworld.com/sto_may2013
    edited March 2013
    Guess who broke down and got that iPhone? ;-)

Been pretty pleased with it so far. Now off to get that Wikipedia app...
    daveyny wrote: »

Grats to the both of you. :)
    signwidrona.png
    edited March 2013
    idrona wrote: »
    Think I found the image editor that I'll use, called Image Editor. lol
    It has an annoying lil ad banner on it's first screen, but seems to have a crapton of features. Now I need to find a way to shrink my fingers..

Image Editor
    SkySoftware

So now I ended up removing that app cause I kept getting all kinds of errors when starting to try add layers. Now trying another image app called DroidPaint, and made my first work of art with it. :D
    signwidrona.png
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    P0sting while catching the tail end of an Angels spring training game @ Tempe Diablo Stadium.

After typing the word "Diablo", my Windows Phone automatically suggests following up with "III." God, I love this thing.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
    edited March 2013
    sander233 wrote: »
    P0sting while catching the tail end of an Angels spring training game @ Tempe Diablo Stadium.

After typing the word "Diablo", my Windows Phone automatically suggests following up with "III." God, I love this thing.

It's like.. it can read our minds! :D
    signwidrona.png