test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Loot Table For Gold Members

commadorebobcommadorebob Member Posts: 1,223 Arc User
Okay, this may tick some people off, but what else is new?

I think it is time to consider adding a third loot table to all kills (on top of the standard loot table and the lockbox loot table). This table will be for all Gold Members, regardless they are LTS or not. Silver members will notice no change at all. Gold members will simply have an extra "roll" after each kill.

The loot table would look a little like this (ie for example):
95% Nothing
1% 3 Lobi
1% 1 Master Key
1% 10 Romulan Marks
1% 10 Omega Marks
1% 100 Dilithium Ore
So every twenty kills or so you would get at least one of the above.

This still fits into the goal of going F2P, mainly that all content is earnable without spending a dime. But at the same time, it does throw a little bit of a bone to those willing to support the game financially. It isn't much, but at the same time it would be nice to get one of the above every now and then.

This loot table would only apply to Cryptic-designed missions. Foundry missions would be excluded (to avoid exploits). But all STFs and Fleet Actions would have this loot table overlap the existing drops and these would be locked to the player who got the drop. So no "Need/Greed."

As for bounding, I'm all for the above to eventually become account locked rather than character locked. And so all items would follow the existing bounding rules.

Anyway, this is my thought. Stahl had mentioned adding more for Gold members and this is my suggestion.
"If you have never used Cello, I'm not interested in your browser opinion."

Comments

• Options
    captmack001captmack001 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Dude once again you hit the nail on the head i like it
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I find your proposal intriguing. The chance may have to be adjusted a little, but the devs have more practical data than I.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I find your proposal intriguing. The chance may have to be adjusted a little, but the devs have more practical data than I.

The percentages are open to negotiation. As you said, they have more data than I am privy to.
    edited February 2013
    Speaking as a sliver player. I'd actually consider going gold for something like this.
  • Options
    picardtheiiipicardtheiii Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Awesome idea but they will never do this.

Lot's of lifetime subscribers buy lock box keys and you start giving them a free key 1/100 kills it will hurt the bottom line and only thing cared about around here is bottom line.
  • Options
    starhoundstarhound Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Great idea. I love the F2P model but I recently went gold and once it expires I wont be renewing it as it just isn't worth it.

Cryptic REALLY need to reward people who support the game via subscription. Its a ridiculous over-sight in my opinion that they have went this long giving Gold members no real perks.
    We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes. - Gene Roddenberry
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Starbase 24 would become the be-all and end-all.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cptvanorcptvanor Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    starhound wrote: »
    once it expires I wont be renewing it as it just isn't worth it.

This is so true. I bought STO some time ago, back when it was still a sub only game. This back around season 2. The game really didn't hold my interest then and when the second month was done I didn't bother renewing.

Came back just before S7 and find the game much more enjoyable. But I have found very little reason to bother subbing. I have the inventory space, Boff slots, ect... of a gold player on my 3 characters because I was gold.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Interesting idea. I think this is something that should be applied for all members though. Silvers would not get lobi or master keys, Gold should have higher chances of drops, and Lifers should get higher chances than Gold.
  • Options
    weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

I completely <3 this idea - it's genius :)

Golds and Lifers should get exactly the same deal though since some Gold subscribers have actually paid a lot more money to Cryptic than a lot of Lifers have.
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • Options
    admgreeradmgreer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    well i stopped my gold membership out of protest because of the last patch, but after some thinking why every reactivate it? I have 20 ship slots 15 Boff slots 300 Doff cap, 1 bill EC cap, If i need Zen i can just buy a game card. So what reason do high level players have to keep a gold membership. What exactly am I paying $14.99 a month for? What benefit would i get over a F2P membership?
  • Options
    cptvanorcptvanor Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    hypl wrote: »
    Silvers would not get lobi or master keys,

I don't see them giving out either of those things, not as long as they're making so much money off them.

Again speaking as a sliver player, sliver accounts shouldn't get anything more then they already do. We already get so much stuff and only really pay for stuff Gold people pay for as well that there's almost no reason to sub to this game.
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    1% key drops is insanely high over the entire scope of the game. Like... unworkably insanely high.

.1% you might be able to sell them on. Maybe.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited February 2013

I think it is time to consider adding a third loot table to all kills (on top of the standard loot table and the lockbox loot table). This table will be for all Gold Members, regardless they are LTS or not. Silver members will notice no change at all. Gold members will simply have an extra "roll" after each kill.

The loot table would look a little like this:
    95% Nothing
    1% 3 Lobi
    1% 1 Master Key
    1% 10 Romulan Marks
    1% 10 Omega Marks
    1% 100 Dilithium Ore
    So every twenty kills or so you would get at least one of the above.

This still fits into the goal of going F2P, mainly that all content is earnable without spending a dime. But at the same time, it does throw a little bit of a bone to those willing to support the game financially. It isn't much, but at the same time it would be nice to get one of the above every now and then.

This loot table would only apply to Cryptic-designed missions. Foundry missions would be excluded (to avoid exploits). But all STFs and Fleet Actions would have this loot table overlap the existing drops and these would be locked to the player who got the drop. So no "Need/Greed."

As for bounding, I'm all for the above to eventually become account locked rather than character locked. And so all items would follow the existing bounding rules.

Anyway, this is my thought. Stahl had mentioned adding more for Gold members and this is my suggestion.

Interesting suggestion. I like the concept anyway.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    1% key drops is insanely high over the entire scope of the game. Like... unworkably insanely high.

.1% you might be able to sell them on. Maybe.

Again, the percentages I proposed are for illustrative purposes. I'd imagine they would have more accurate numbers. They need to drop enough for us to see they are there, but obviously not so much they circumvent any other game mechanic.
    edited February 2013
    Meh. Why? I like having to play to get my stuff.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    Meh. Why? I like having to play to get my stuff.

This wouldn't change that. These are randomly dropped items that Gold members would get while participating in the game. They are enough to make me go "cool" but not enough to throw the games balance out of kilter.

My suggested table can be changed to match whatever they happen to be pushing. Make it a Romulan themed table in May with Romulan Marks, Gold Romulan Lockboxes, Epohh Tags, etc. And then change it when the next FE comes out.

The idea is to add an enticement for you to go Gold. If you decode not to, nothing changes for you.
    edited February 2013
    Why should gold members be special as those f2p players are buying Zen and more than what your gold membership costs?It should be equal especially those who came over from other PWE games.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • Options
    mcconnamcconna Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Think this would hurt the zen market, which is where they make most of their money. Since it isn't hard to grind kills for loot. They would probably lose more money than make money with subs, since people will stop opening lockboxes for lobi and stop buying keys from the c-store to sell. Since people will be able to loot them for only 15 dollars a month.

Other than that, it's a nice idea if the lobi and master keys weren't involved. lol
  • Options
    c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm a Silver player and agree that Gold or Lifetimers should get that little bit extra and the idea that the OP has suggested seems fair to me. I support it! ;)
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    gold members have already paid. Sorry. Cryptic has there money.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    chalpen wrote: »
    gold members have already paid. Sorry. Cryptic has there money.

Don't you mean "Lifetimers"? Gold members can cancel at anytime. lol.

(yes I know, Cryptic already have Gold's monies too but they can choose to give no more!) :D
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Don't you mean "Lifetimers"? Gold members can cancel at anytime. lol.

(yes I know, Cryptic already have Gold's monies too but they can choose to give no more!) :D

and we all know the answer to the "choice"
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    corbinwolf#9797 corbinwolf Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Awesome idea but they will never do this.

Lot's of lifetime subscribers buy lock box keys and you start giving them a free key 1/100 kills it will hurt the bottom line and only thing cared about around here is bottom line.

I actually received two free master keys and lockboxes from some strange little NPC Ferengi in Earth Space Dock a few weeks ago! The key has a shade of green as did the lock boxes and could not be used on anything other than the lockboxes supplied. The loot was only one item per box. So this is a possibility.

As for the OP's idea, sounds good!:)
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I'm not going to debate whether it is good to give Cryptic money or not. This is only an attempt to provide a suggestion to a move that Dan Stahl has already said would happen.

The items I put on the original list are just examples. But it needs to be premium type loot. No batteries, etc. Any of the Marks, Lobi, Special DOffs, etc would make a great contribution to the list. Dilithium and other stuff would also make great contributions.

And again, the percentages listed are for demonstration purposes only. I know they will put more realistic numbers in. In fact, I would imagine there is a single random number generator that determines what you get (for example):
    0-94 = Nothing
    95 = 3 Lobi
    96 = 1 Master Key
    97 = 10 Romulan Marks
    98 = 10 Omega Marks
    99 = 100 Dilithium Ore
    So you aren't really going to get one Master Key per 100 kills. But even if you did, wouldn't it be worth it to Cryptic if it meant you would buy a sub (or enough to go Gold)?

My OP was designed to show a possible way to sweeten the pot for Gold members while not throwing the entire game's economy into disarray. You will not destroy the C-Store by giving away one Master Key to people already paying you. The same goes for the Lobi.

This is meant to just be a supplement to what we already get. A minor reward that requires participation to earn but isn't guaranteed. You play, you get 10 Romulan Marks after killing a Cardassian and you go "Yea! I can half fill up one of my Romulan Reputation projects" and then you keep playing until you get another random prize.

In fact, the prizes could just be a roll on another loot table (like special weapons designed specifically for the Gold loot table or instead of 3 Lobi, you roll a loot table full of Lobi).

Buying a Gold sub just allows you access to the loot table. It doesn't promise you'll get anything from it all the time.
    edited February 2013
    All I'd like to know is would this apply to Gold accounts that is "Inactive" on the subscription?

Cause that's what I am currently, and I don't know how to add subscription time since I have no credit card. <-- Yes I will keep pointing this out every now and then all over these forums until fixed. :P
    signwidrona.png
  • Options
    theofficialmip#7339 theofficialmip Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Bad Idea. Why:

- This will cause Cryptic/PWE to loss money.

- Plus gold members already get a lot of benefits, including free ships, the 600 and 1000 day rewards. Plus the other rewards and 500 zen/month.

- BTW the average invested F2P player spends more then the average Gold Member now. Why do you think there's not going to be a subscription option in Neverwinter.;)

Right now lifetime subscribers who bought their subscription at launch and no longer buy zen are actually sucking money out of Cryptic/PWE with the rewards they are still receiving, which everyone else is paying for.
    One of the 0.7%ers Markus Urelious 16000+ Accolades [Fed Tac FA] + Several More
    Forum Member Since Feb 2010
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This wouldn't change that. These are randomly dropped items that Gold members would get while participating in the game. They are enough to make me go "cool" but not enough to throw the games balance out of kilter.

My suggested table can be changed to match whatever they happen to be pushing. Make it a Romulan themed table in May with Romulan Marks, Gold Romulan Lockboxes, Epohh Tags, etc. And then change it when the next FE comes out.

The idea is to add an enticement for you to go Gold. If you decode not to, nothing changes for you.

This game is already very light on "grind" requirements, except for fleet content (it's completely beyond sanity in this case but it's another topic). Getting over the refinement cap is easily achevied in under 1h. I still have 80k to refine on my KDF and it grows slowly unless i do not play him at all. I played no romulan mission in weeks and get to T5 rep in a month and a half. ECs (and keys) are also incredibly easy to acquire.

Most of my gaming time is being idle in sector space doing something else than playing STO. Because there's nothing to do when you play regularly, let's say, an average 3-4h a day. :D Seriously, i'd rather see the devs working on actual challenging content instead of making new boosts for something that is so easy to achieve.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    since lobi is only obtained via real currency (since someone has to pay for the keys somehow) I doubt you will ever see lobi or keys drop as loot.
  • Options
    logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I do not even bother putting forward any ideas like this anymore because the probability of it happening is near zero.

I limit myself to not making comments about their monetization scheme because, while they may listen to players about gameplay, I have see no evidence since their sale to PWE that they listen to players on the forums whatsoever regarding monetization schemes.