test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Con is On - Fleet Defense

warbird001warbird001 Member Posts: 246 Arc User
I have just got through playing "Starbase Fleet Defense", the Fleet Action with a team of 5 of my Fleet mates via Teamspeak. We do this every week because we find this to be the most viable source of Fleet Marks, offering anywhere within the range of 80-100 Fleet Marks per encounter. Which is good because it takes a little while to complete.

However today, the first time we have played this particular Fleet Action since the patch last Thursday and for completing ALL the Objectives with no casualties to the Starbase, Facilities or Freigthers. We were awarded a mere pitiful 40 Fleet Marks each.

I think it is pretty obvious what has happened here, Cryptic has tweaked this mission to reduce the number of Fleet Marks and not included it in the Patch Notes. This concerns me greatly, because no other MMO I can think of, makes "adjustments" to content behind the players back.

Has anyone else had this experience? I am just amazed at how stupid Cryptic think we are...
Post edited by warbird001 on

Comments

• Options
    cptvanorcptvanor Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    warbird001 wrote: »
    because no other MMO I can think of, makes "adjustments" to content behind the players back.

First off, if this did happen it's most likely a bug of some sort. No MMO company including Cryptic makes stealth nerfs, because the fall out is far to great. If they put it in the patch notes people might be upset about it.

But not nearly as upset about it if it's a stealth nerf. So no one, including Cryptic does such a thing. There's no reason to, because there's no way they'd ever actually get away with it.
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    cptvanor wrote: »
    First off, if this did happen it's most likely a bug of some sort. No MMO company including Cryptic makes stealth nerfs, because the fall out is far to great. If they put it in the patch notes people might be upset about it.

But not nearly as upset about it if it's a stealth nerf. So no one, including Cryptic does such a thing. There's no reason to, because there's no way they'd ever actually get away with it.

You weren't here for the beginning of S7 were you?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    You weren't here for the beginning of S7 were you?

Yes as a matter of fact I was. If there were some stealth nerfs I'd like to hear about them. Keep in mind you'd have to provide something that actually resembles facts... Not vague statements that can't actually be backed up.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Well then, if you do not believe me, play it yourself...

Forgive me but you are so wonderfully niave, I really wish that I could get some of what your smoking. :D
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Yes as a matter of fact I was. If there were some stealth nerfs I'd like to hear about them. Keep in mind you'd have to provide something that actually resembles facts... Not vague statements that can't actually be backed up.

Remember that whole day where people thought STFs not paying out dilithium or loot was a bug, only to be told that it was a design decision that they didn't put in the patch notes? That facty enough for you?

It's happened before.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I really wish that I could get some of what your smoking. :D

I don't smoke anything. I'm simply not some cynical person who has nothing better to do then post thread after thread bashing Cryptic for everything they do.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I suspect this was a bug or someone has made an error in the numbers. I see no reason to adjust this one down to 40 as a maximum when other shorter missions reward more for doing less. people would just stop playing this in favour of the others. it gains nobody anything.

it also does not make much sense as they have said they are looking to adjust the rewards up and add more ways to earn fleet marks, to compensate for taking away the foundry.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Remember that whole day where people thought STFs not paying out dilithium or loot was a bug, only to be told that it was a design decision that they didn't put in the patch notes?

It's happened before.

Its also magically convieniant, considering they removed the Fleet Marks from the IOC... giving out just 40 shows that they do not want anyone earning over 50 Fleet marks for any one individual mission.

If it was a bug, why did it happen to all 5 of my Fleet members? Honestly, go and play it and its not a bug because it was working fine BEFORE the patch, since we did it the night before that went live.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Remember that whole day where people thought STFs not paying out dilithium or loot was a bug, only to be told that it was a design decision that they didn't put in the patch notes?

Vaguely. I had just started again about a week or so prior to S7 so I wasn't playing STF's.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    If it was a bug, why did it happen to all 5 of my Fleet members?

Because a bug is normally going to effect everyone, not just random people.

Perhaps this a undocumented change. But that's not the first conclusion I'd jump to.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

I'm sorry, I do not buy the "Bug" explanation because there would be no reason for Cryptic to touch that mission from the recent patch. Besides, if it is a "bug" then that shows Cryptic's incompetence, rather then their unadulterated greed so whichever it is... its bad.

I urge people to play this mission for themselves and decide.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have just got through playing "Starbase Fleet Defense", the Fleet Action with a team of 5 of my Fleet mates via Teamspeak. We do this every week because we find this to be the most viable source of Fleet Marks, offering anywhere within the range of 80-100 Fleet Marks per encounter. Which is good because it takes a little while to complete.

Let me get this straight, you're doing Fleet Defense with only 5 people? Right there's your problem, you're 5 maning a 20 person event. :rolleyes:

BTW, I've done a couple of Fleet Defense runs in the last few days, and gotten between 90 to 110 Fleet Marks, so it's running fine.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    If it was a bug, why did it happen to all 5 of my Fleet members? Honestly, go and play it and its not a bug because it was working fine BEFORE the patch, since we did it the night before that went live.

thats pretty much how a bug works.

works fine before the patch. then the patch breaks something and it works incorrectly after.

everyone in the mission will be awarded from the same reward table, so if there is an issue with the table it will affect everyone.

bugs dont tend to be random. they work off calculations. if it affects 1 it usually affects all under the same conditions. thats not to suggests every play through will be the same. perhaps getting a perfect score is causing the problem, which is what you did?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Vaguely. I had just started again about a week or so prior to S7 so I wasn't playing STF's.

Short version: while S7 was on Tribble (two or three days prior to it going to live in fact) Dstahl had what seemed to be a very productive conversation with the playerbase. Among the things discussed was the fact that dilithium and loot rewards, which had been removed as part of S7's initial stay on Tribble, would be changed to what we have now (480 D for normal, 980 D for Elite) along with a few per-character random drops.

Fast forward two days, and it turns out that entire conversation ended up being one big lie. But it took almost a full day to get Cryptic to admit that yes, they had ninja-nerfed STF loot without saying a peep.

Long story short: It's happened. Do I think this is a similar ninja nerf? Honestly, I don't. The timing is just wrong.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Let me get this straight, you're doing Fleet Defense with only 5 people? Right there's your problem, you're 5 maning a 20 person event. :rolleyes:

BTW, I've done a couple of Fleet Defense runs in the last few days, and gotten between 90 to 110 Fleet Marks, so it's running fine.

No, 5 people in my TEAM! Read it... the others were taken up by Que people and no, its not working fine. I wish people were not so quick to bury their head in the sand.

It may be a bug, but its a bug that has cost my fleet development time and its also highlighting Cryptic's incompentant system of maintenance.

Besides, due to their track record and the timing... the whole thing seems a little too conviniant
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    No, 5 people in my TEAM! Read it... the others were taken up by Que people and no, its not working fine. I wish people were not so quick to bury their head in the sand.

It may be a bug, but its a bug that has cost my fleet development time and its also highlighting Cryptic's incompentant system of maintenance.

Besides, due to their track record and the timing... the whole thing seems a little too conviniant

By logical deduction we can determine this is a bug. If one player is getting 100 or so marks post patch and you got 40, then its not a 'convenient' change. its not working right but its not deliberate either.
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    First off, if this did happen it's most likely a bug of some sort. No MMO company including Cryptic makes stealth nerfs, because

Let me interrupt you right there, because, because holy unprotected matrimony Batman, that's worthy of a bad 60's Robin joke.

The S7 STF dilithium/loot was mentioned. Patch notes and dev posts said it was temporarily disabled, then it was listed as returned in the last minute patch, then S7 went live, and Nope not back and working as intended!

That's not all, though. Cryptic have made numerous small "adjustments" to powers as well as NPCs that were not mentioned in patch notes but were acknowledged as intended changes. Some of them were even buffs.

Not only have most MMO developers done so (I can list multiple such undocumented nerfs Blizzard did to just ONE spell, during ONE expansion pack - Conflagrate's history during Wrath of the Lich King was a train wreck of documented and undocumented nerfs because its original form scaled out of control and was widly OP), not only will they continue to do so, but most companies PERIOD do and will, they're not limited to MMOs.

if you're studying Public Relations, there's actually classes you can take in college on how to handle passing off undocumented changes to a product and managing the response when they're found out. Classic example: The size of Cadbury Cream Eggs has been reduced over a dozen times. It only gained public notice two years ago, when it was passed off as "confused memories." It wasn't until some TV personality found a 20 year old Cadbury Egg under their fridge that it was actually confirmed, and at that point it had been going on for longer than most people still eating the things had been alive.

Heck, anyone who's ever worked retail, even the lowliest grunt, should know the system of marking an item down to it's regular price while simultaneously raising the normal price - most consumer product price increases are masked by false markdowns this way, because it works.

I agree with Revo, this isn't one: If it was, it would be consistent with all people across all teams and it is not. However, that's a far, far cry from saying they don't happen.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Well you should fix your OP then.

Like I said, it worked fine for me only a few days ago. So you either ran into a bug, or you had an event full of incompetiant people who failed to protect the objectives and resulted in a low score.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    By logical deduction we can determine this is a bug. If one player is getting 100 or so marks post patch and you got 40, then its not a 'convenient' change. its not working right but its not deliberate either.

Of course, you cannot blame me for thinking that... since as most players are aware, Cryptic are masters of lying through their teeth. I mean, no offense but as a paying customer of this game, my opinion of Cryptic is so low, I do not think they could impress me if they repaired the Galaxy Class.

I am just sick and tired of always wondering... are these exciting promises for change, just another pack of lies? I get called a Cynic and "If you don't like it, don't play it" but the thing is... this is the ONLY Star Trek game currently on the market and I love my Star Trek. :D

So why does Cryptic have to dissapoint at every opportunity?

No, it was not a low score as I stated before, all objectives were complete so please don't blame the players.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Well you should fix your OP then.

Like I said, it worked fine for me only a few days ago. So you either ran into a bug, or you had an event full of incompetiant people who failed to protect the objectives and resulted in a low score.

He said All were saved. so assuming he is correct, we can rule out a bad team.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    He said All were saved. so assuming he is correct, we can rule out a bad team.

Perhaps, but I think damage accounts for the score too, but looks like there is a bug and the OP should file a bug report.
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Haven't stopped giggling.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Sorry, I'm not much of a computer wizz and I have limited understanding of how bugs effect a game.

Anyway, whats the point of filing a bug report. Cryptic don't read them, or even do anything about it. The Broken Invisible One Shot Borg Plasma Torpedo is still in the game after numerous attempts to fix it.

I would be all onboard with Cryptic if there was not so many broken promises and broken stuff in the game. I just want this game to have the same appeal to me that Bridge Commander or Armada did... I know they were single player games but they are classics and were fantastic
  • Options
    picardtheiiipicardtheiii Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Trust me, there are great forces at work here regarding the fleet mark systems and some plan to sell something on the part of Cryptic believe me
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Trust me, there are great forces at work here regarding the fleet mark systems and some plan to sell something on the part of Cryptic believe me

Was that sarcasm or did you actually mean that?
  • Options
    mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I ran Fleet Defense last night. Got 84 Fleet Marks for it.
  • Options
    picardtheiiipicardtheiii Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Was that sarcasm or did you actually mean that?

That was not sarcastic at all.

Think about it for a moment. All these nerfs to fleet marks and such makes no sense you are really upseting a lot of the player base. Why?

Why would a company do this? Must be part of a larger plan is only explanation.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~syberghost
  • Options
    edited February 2013

yes if its under the same conditions. Usually the only way you can find them but having the exact steps to reproduce something.

if a player reproduces those exact steps it should occur every single time, as it all comes through calculations and code, not random flips of a coin.

sometimes its easy for one player to get hit with a bug while another does not, and it may look random but player A has done something slightly different to player B but wont be noticeable to either of them.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    That was not sarcastic at all.

Think about it for a moment. All these nerfs to fleet marks and such makes no sense you are really upseting a lot of the player base. Why?

Why would a company do this? Must be part of a larger plan is only explanation.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~syberghost

Unfortunately, democracy does not exist on the internet, although I think it is sad that the mass of the player-base is ignored while the "elite" of the playerbase are listened to by Cryptic and have their ideas incorporated into the game. The recent changes to the Foundry were a result of this.
  • Options
    kahless2001kahless2001 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've actually believed that too... Cryptic has always tried to silence people who speak truthfully about the game under the guise of "Forum policy".

Ah yes, I recall your comments on one of the main updates on the front page. You declared that anyone who had positive comments about the update were PWE employees. :rolleyes:

OP, sounds to me like you either got a bug there (intermittent perhaps) or something didn't go quite as well as you thought in the mission.

I suggest running it again and see what rewards you get :)