test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Free Respec for Subber/Lifer.

darkfader1988darkfader1988 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I think (And i think most subbers/lifetimers will agree with me) that it is simply unacceptable for most long paid subbers and loyal lifetimers still having to buy respec tokens off the Zen store or otherwise have to grind endlessly to get the required dilithium, its insane.

I came back from a while of playing SWTOR and there you can simply do unlimited respec's now as long as you are a subber.

Is this really too much to ask? This really doesn't help much people at all and its even worse for the current PvP community.

On top of that adding the Reputation system to the part of respeccing didn't help matters either.

I seriously suggest removing this obnoxious restriction and give us something back.
MT - Sad Pandas
Post edited by darkfader1988 on

Comments

• lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,866 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Trouble is they aren't *free* even in TOR...they have a rising credit cost each time you respec. If they were to do them like they do in TOR I imagine it would start a millions of EC because lets face it without at least a 7 digit price tag they would be giving it away.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • darkfader1988darkfader1988 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Trouble is they aren't *free* even in TOR...they have a rising credit cost each time you respec. If they were to do them like they do in TOR I imagine it would start a millions of EC because lets face it without at least a 7 digit price tag they would be giving it away.

Wrong. Since they went free to play subbers get UNLIMITED FREE respecs.

Isn't it simply a reasonable request for Lifers and subbers?
    MT - Sad Pandas
  • kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Subs and lifers get 400 Zen a month. Respec cost 500. Thus, with the Zen allowance and a little dilthium, you have a free respec. Or you can simply wait a month.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • webdeathwebdeath Member Posts: 1,570 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I wouldn't have anything against this my self. Although I personally feel that Life time Subscribers should get more then the same features as a Gold Subscriber. Not much more mind you, but just something a little more then the A typical Gold Subscriber to give a reason to want to become a Life time Subscriber.. But of course that is a topic for another day. ;)
    You think that your beta test was bad?
    Think about this:
    American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cmdrskyfallercmdrskyfaller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think (And i think most subbers/lifetimers will agree with me) that it is simply unacceptable for most long paid subbers and loyal lifetimers still having to buy respec tokens off the Zen store or otherwise have to grind endlessly to get the required dilithium, its insane.

I came back from a while of playing SWTOR and there you can simply do unlimited respec's now as long as you are a subber.

Is this really too much to ask? This really doesn't help much people at all and its even worse for the current PvP community.

On top of that adding the Reputation system to the part of respeccing didn't help matters either.

I seriously suggest removing this obnoxious restriction and give us something back.

Moral of the story: Never buy lifetime sub or pay monthly for an MMO that is owned by Perfect World.
  • kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Subbers and Lifetimers also get 500 ZEN each month. Which coincidentally is the same price as a respec token...

I would say just plan your skill build ahead of time. You shouldn't be changing it 5 times a week.
  • sheppardussheppardus Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think you will find that if you are a lifer or depending on how many days you have subscribed, you get respec tokens free at certain ranks, so VA can have 3-5 respecs, you shouldn't really need more than this per toon, and if you do, like others have mentioned, your monthly 500 stipend will cover buying another one
  • solarixeclipsesolarixeclipse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Subbers and Lifetimers also get 500 ZEN each month. Which coincidentally is the same price as a respec token...

I would say just plan your skill build ahead of time. You shouldn't be changing it 5 times a week.

Right now PvP consists of people having to painstakingly put builds together for fear of making a mistake and having to redo it. In PVP games, the ability to adapt, learn from mistakes and change skill builds is a necessity. It is necessary to experiment with build configurations and reconfigure as needed for the situation at hand, especially for premades "lemme switch to my tank skill sheet and hop in my tank ship...".

League of Legends, a competitive online F2P MOBA, offers "mastery pages" which are effectively free respecs.

Guild Wars, which is also heavily PVP focused, offers free or cheap respecs.

Yes, yes I know THIS IS NOT THAT, but think about the implications of respecs costing money (also LoL is (one of) the most popular online game right now, don't ignore it):

Because respecs cost money, the overall tactical strategies of PvP cannot evolve. They remain stagnant. It gives an advantage to players with deep pockets who can adapt to PvP things simply by opening their wallet. Players who are not willing to do so can only adapt ONCE A MONTH off their Zen stipend? That's insane.

Now I know you might say "just make multiple characters" -- but that is not taking into account the time investment involved. They have to go back from level 1 to 50 all over again, grind up their Omega and Romulan reputation all over again, and farm items all over again (because of Character Bind on Equip). That is just not reasonable to ask a PvP player to have to do.

So while on the one hand I understand perfectly where you're coming from if one were doing PvE and had a solid idea of where they're going with a ship and build, PvP is a much more demanding environment that demands careful tweaking and research from battle testing. Respecs costing Zen are shooting PVP in the foot.

TL;DR: Respecs costing money is the cancer that is killing PvP.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited February 2013

500... not 400
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Respecs costing money is the cancer that is killing PvP.

Right now PvP consists of people having to painstakingly put builds together for fear of making a mistake and having to redo it. In PVP games, the ability to adapt, learn from mistakes and change skill builds is a necessity. It is necessary to experiment with build configurations and reconfigure as needed for the situation at hand, especially for premades "lemme switch to my tank skill sheet and hop in my tank ship...".

League of Legends, a competitive online F2P MOBA, offers "mastery pages" which are effectively free respecs.

Guild Wars, which is also heavily PVP focused, offers free or cheap respecs.

Yes, yes I know THIS IS NOT THAT, but think about the implications of respecs costing money.

Because respecs cost money, the overall tactical strategies of PvP cannot evolve. They remain stagnant. It gives an advantage to players with deep pockets who can adapt to PvP things simply by opening their wallet. Players who are not willing to do so can only adapt ONCE A MONTH off their Zen stipend? That's insane.

Now I know you might say "just make multiple characters" -- but that is not taking into account the time investment involved. They have to go back from level 1 to 50 all over again, grind up their Omega and Romulan reputation all over again, and farm items all over again (because of Character Bind on Equip). That is just not reasonable to ask a PvP player to have to do.

Nah I think it's fine as it is. Allowing players to change their skill builds so easily would defeat the point of having a skill system in the first place. Every skill build should have a weakness in it, that's why we have a skill point cap, and if your build doesn't then it's just proof that players have access to too many skill points.

Having a weakness, and playing together with other players that have weaknesses, creates more strategic combat. Being able to change or eliminate your skill build's weaknesses makes combat less strategic. Combat becomes FPS-like, where you just press buttons and everything that would defy you blows up. There is no thinking, no working together, no depth of gameplay.

Once a month is fine. That's enough to counter changes in gameplay mechanics as a result of patches.

Actually this is the primary reason I love games with skill trees. As much as I love playing the game, I also love sitting down and doing research on skills, abilities, and gear, and planning out everything my character should have to be successful.
  • bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited February 2013
    I think it would be a good idea to give a free respec token monthly or something to those that have subscribed either for 1 month or for a lifetime. It would be a good way to encourage diverse builds and experimentation, you might even find less people crying nerf as a quick change to skills might alleviate the problem. Also with the number of buffs and nerds that happen in a month if you want to be competitive in PvP you will probably have to respec at least every few weeks.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • deyvaddeyvad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    We already receive 1 token per rank, the problem is when you sub/lifetime when your main is at 50.
  • tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    bpharma wrote: »
    I think it would be a good idea to give a free respec token monthly or something to those that have subscribed either for 1 month or for a lifetime. It would be a good way to encourage diverse builds and experimentation, you might even find less people crying nerf as a quick change to skills might alleviate the problem. Also with the number of buffs and nerds that happen in a month if you want to be competitive in PvP you will probably have to respec at least every few weeks.
    Free respec tokens are included as part of the veteran rewards scheme at certain increments. ~every 200 days IIRC. This plus stipend and/or having levelled the toon while subbed leads to a large number of respec tokens. I just levelled a new alt as a subscriber and I have 7 respec tokens I will probably never use on her. Shame I can't transfer them to other toons that do need respecs.