test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rumors about May update with Character Creation?

Comments

• shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I heard a rumor that all rumors about STO were started by a Cryptic employee that 3 years from now turns one of the game servers into a time machine and goes back in time to attempt to prevent the KDF faction from being created. Unfortunately, another employee built another time machine and went back to stop him. Then they both got stranded in 2009 and decided to start making rumors instead.

Note to self: next time, bring sports almanac.
  • chrisedallen89chrisedallen89 Member Posts: 17,293 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Wow where have I seen trolling and PR spins before...

Oh yeah Chris Priestly from Bioware..

Still I think being straight forward with us players is more admirable than pissing us off or telling us its epic. Being straightforward and honest with no PR spin and customer relations spin.

As for the rumor at this point I play the game for a little bit and I am not enthused. Because I see this in every corner of the video game market.
  • bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Note to self: next time, bring sports almanac.

I still wouldn't put money on the Cubs.
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Wow where have I seen trolling and PR spins before...

Oh yeah Chris Priestly from Bioware..

Please don't compare this place to the Bioware Social Network. I mean, we're bad, but we're not THAT bad. It's not like there's a 4000 page thread devoted to having babies with Admiral T'nae lurking somewhere in Ten Forward. (Edit: if there is, please let me live in ignorance of it forever).

Branflakes answered my concerns promptly and politely and he has my thanks.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    But will the opportunity to select from four genders for our Andorian Captain's be restored? I always felt taking that out was a step backward.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I heard a rumor in zone chat today that we're working on a playable BranFlakes. You all get to play as me! Even run the forums, post all the news, schedule interviews, take all the screens, and much much more! 100000 ZEN. :D

EDIT: Captains, when it comes down to it, players are going to make up rumors about anything to get you talking and speculating. It's been going on since before the game launched.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    Wow, Cryptic must think very lowly of your job if its only worth $1,000.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I heard a rumor in zone chat today that we're working on a playable BranFlakes. You all get to play as me! Even run the forums, post all the news, schedule interviews, take all the screens, and much much more! 100000 ZEN. :D

EDIT: Captains, when it comes down to it, players are going to make up rumors about anything to get you talking and speculating. It's been going on since before the game launched.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I heard there was going to be a new bird of prey that can turn half a degree per second and be able to mount 10 DHCs front and 20 turrets rear with all 360 degree arcs.
  • kyuui13kyuui13 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If thats our new creator, I won't be making any more alts. Major steps backwards that is.
    Next time you log in, ask yourself this.
    dastahl wrote: »
    If you can't have fun, then what is the point?
  • mikiiymikiiy Member Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    amosov78 wrote: »
    So STO is moving over to the same character creation process as Neverwinter? Will we also get the ability to pick where we're from and the like? And if so, how would this effect existing characters?

I hope NOT.

That looks good on the first look but when looking a bit more in depth at it.. it seems like theres less options, like no tatoo scaling/moving, bust size, hip size, toon size and even the head shaping looks like its more predefined compared to the full freedom we seem to have here.

They better not spend valuable development resources on dumbing something down that everyones happy with here just to make a more cute window with less options. If they redo the character creator they better make sure that they keep every single option we have now available there too and keep existing toons compatible/recreatable in the new system.
  • chrisedallen89chrisedallen89 Member Posts: 17,293 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Please don't compare this place to the Bioware Social Network. I mean, we're bad, but we're not THAT bad. It's not like there's a 4000 page thread devoted to having babies with Admiral T'nae lurking somewhere in Ten Forward. (Edit: if there is, please let me live in ignorance of it forever).

Branflakes answered my concerns promptly and politely and he has my thanks.

Actually I wasn't comparing this forum to that one just how the mods operate. what I have noticed in wry humor.. Forgive me for my cynicism. I have just seen too many of those and plus what I gleamed those where not really answers, more of loose answers to calm. But still he is polite I give him that..

They don't want us to know what is exactly going down. I understand surprising people but sometimes the history of those is not very good.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited February 2013
    I asked around and found out that, after the creator revamp is complete, there should not be any loss of customization options -- what you see in the creator today is currently planned to remain :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • skiffy1skiffy1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

100000 Zen! Aww Brandon, if that's what PWE is paying you, you need a raise my friend. ;)
  • kyuui13kyuui13 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I asked around and found out that, after the creator revamp is complete, there should not be any loss of customization options -- what you see in the creator today is currently planned to remain :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

As much as this pains me to say, "planned" or will? Unfortunately, experience has taught us that "planned" doesn't mean "will" when it comes to things in the game.
    Next time you log in, ask yourself this.
    dastahl wrote: »
    If you can't have fun, then what is the point?
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    kyuui13 wrote: »
    As much as this pains me to say, "planned" or will? Unfortunately, experience has taught us that "planned" doesn't mean "will" when it comes to things in the game.

I planned to be an astronaut at one point, but reality came in and kicked that idea until it stopped twitching. Why should game development be any different?
    <3
  • mikeward1701mikeward1701 Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As with all rumours...

Rule of Acquisition No.190; "Hear all, trust nothing".

:)
    Fleet Admiral Ward
    Commander, Starfleet Corps of Engineers • 7th Fleet
    Commanding Officer, U.S.S. HEART OF OAK • NX-1759-B • Odyssey class Star Cruiser ( Lexington Tactical Configuration)
    )
    (Steam - feel free to follow/friend me : )
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

If it doesn't come with a "CHEERS" Emote, I Don't Want IT!!! :P
    themarie wrote: »
    ******n it if I don't get one of these (IN A SKIRT EVEN) I'm going to stop playing! :D

That would be a SCANT... and the Bran Capt. will come with a 'shaved legs' option. :cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

This was mentioned in Stahl's Anniversary live Q&A, but thanks for confirming that it's still the goal!
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Because rumors fester into yucky tar pits. I like to seal (I had "squash" there at first, but then I would get stuck in it Oo) them when I can :)

I will tell you that I was able to see some of the work on the creator recently and it is EPIC! Can't wait for you all to see it.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Since you've seen the new character creator, do you know if it will fix the numerous bugs with the tailor? Off the top of my head, I can think of the following bugs.

1. Basic body variants changing only the height and no other body options.
    2. Linked colors for certain parts.
    3. Wrong mouseover tooltips for many options.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    STO already has one of the best Character Planners.

Bran, leave it like it is. It is more than good and i haven't seen ONE complaint about it.

If you have to fix something, fix the Bio-Neural Warhead and the decloaking bugs :D
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    mikiiy wrote: »
    I hope NOT.

That looks good on the first look but when looking a bit more in depth at it.. it seems like theres less options, like no tatoo scaling/moving, bust size, hip size, toon size and even the head shaping looks like its more predefined compared to the full freedom we seem to have here.

They better not spend valuable development resources on dumbing something down that everyones happy with here just to make a more cute window with less options......

If they were to simplify the character options, it would more likely be to cut down the database space they'd need. Every slider on the character creator is at least one variable they need to keep stored, and most of the time you don't really notice their effect. Its no secret faces in STO tend to look kinda...same-y,even with the two dozen face sliders.
  • antovarasantovaras Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Because rumors fester into yucky tar pits. I like to seal (I had "squash" there at first, but then I would get stuck in it Oo) them when I can :)

I will tell you that I was able to see some of the work on the creator recently and it is EPIC! Can't wait for you all to see it.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Problem is Brandon, You think most things are awesome/epic... boy who cried wolf maybe?
    A world to defend
    A city to protect
    innocents to save
    "Why?" They ask "they hate you"
    We're heroes it's what we do.
    *patiently waiting on Paragon City*
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Once again Cryptic never listens, i wanted a Tacofangs character...ARGHHH rage!!:P
    GwaoHAD.png
  • ulfedinulfedin Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Wow, some posts in here reach "TOM CRUISE IS A REPTILIAN!" levels of nuts! :D
  • picardtheiiipicardtheiii Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Why are the thread topics being changed so much? This wasn't the topic of this thread a few hours ago... yet... now there is something different... WHY?

Just to specify I'm sure most people saw the previous "Dark rumors..." thread title... what happened to that?
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ulfedin wrote: »
    Wow, some posts in here reach "TOM CRUISE IS A REPTILIAN!" levels of nuts! :D

A Gorn wearing sunglasses and dancing in it's underwear with a need for SPEED...MAKE IT SO!!
    GwaoHAD.png
  • jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I hope I can finally be a gorn for the fed side or have gorn parts in the character creator
  • pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Cryptic has to streamline the character creator a tad bit to allow for the making of other faction races and their traits! :P
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If they were to simplify the character options, it would more likely be to cut down the database space they'd need. Every slider on the character creator is at least one variable they need to keep stored, and most of the time you don't really notice their effect. Its no secret faces in STO tend to look kinda...same-y,even with the two dozen face sliders.

My only requests really are that I can choose which legs my female characters have, regardless of the skirt (the TOS skirt and tight pants have nice round thighs, while the modern 25th century skirts have skinny ones), some cheek bone height and width control, and forehead and hairline control.

In addition to some new cool hairstyles for ladies and an actual smooth face for my Captain (I don't have a five o'clock shadow first thing in the morning and neither should my captain).

Oh and an actual dark brown eye color.
    amosov78 wrote: »
    So STO is moving over to the same character creation process as Neverwinter? Will we also get the ability to pick where we're from and the like? And if so, how would this effect existing characters?

Hmm, that looks a little cookie cutter actually. But if we can get all of those options and all the ones we currently have like Bran Flakes says then the STO character creator will continue to be top notch.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • cmdrskyfallercmdrskyfaller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Can we at least know... or this be passed up to the powers that be... that existing characters created pre-F2P who have their traits MESSED UP from the F2P conversion patch are STILL WAITING for a means to fix their character traits... will the new system allow us to re-trait (or re-species even) at least once when the patch is released?
  • bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Can we at least know... or this be passed up to the powers that be... that existing characters created pre-F2P who have their traits MESSED UP from the F2P conversion patch are STILL WAITING for a means to fix their character traits... will the new system allow us to re-trait (or re-species even) at least once when the patch is released?

It works for Blizzard.
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.