What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Graduation Test: Please Submit Your Ideas

2»

Comments

• bronbron Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    thissler wrote: »
    Create a match of any size, with only the students on one side being tested.. Doesn't need to be students only, that would be punitive. It just needs to be understood by the test administrators that only the students on that side are being tested.

On the opposite side, in amongst the rest of the crew, you put Mini.

Anyone he pops, fails. Anyone he can't pop, passes.

Why? Because if you're heads up enough to see that coming AND take steps to protect yourself I'd say you're all good.

Anyone can answer a test question. Not everyone can put the knowledge to use in the brief window of time an alpha strike gives you.

Cheers and happy flying!

And yes I'm totally serious.
    Does this mean I auto pass stage 4 then, hmm? Mini already did an alpha on me and we know he can't one shot me.
    Proud Pre-Launch CO and Pre-Launch STO Lifetime Subscriber.
  • gradstudent1gradstudent1 Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    bron wrote: »
    Does this mean I auto pass stage 4 then, hmm? Mini already did an alpha on me and we know he can't one shot me.

Only if mini blew up both you and himself simultaneously!=)
  • thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    bron wrote: »

Well that's a start, but it needs to be in the test situation. If it was a one on one passing that test means you're awake and your cats not sitting on your keyboard.

The test situation would be a bit more hectic. Way more hectic.
  • bronbron Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Funny Sargon. Like that will ever happen. Heck, you were there.

It was definitely a 1v1, thissler. Also I wish I had a cat.
    Proud Pre-Launch CO and Pre-Launch STO Lifetime Subscriber.
  • drudgydrudgy Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    These are good points, Naz. I wonder if we might re-frame the testing element as an evaluation with personal feedback from coaches. What I mean is that our students could be put into a combat scenario, which the coach would then observe (perhaps even a 1 v 1). The coach would then provide the student with "next steps" to help him/her achieve her next level of ability in PvP. What do you think about this? I am just thinking out loud a bit, but I share your concerns for sure, Naz, and like how you are thinking about these things.

We have a coahces meeting this Saturday, when I would like to discuss this further.

I've been in the class with Naz a few times and I really enjoy listening to his lessons. I agree with what he said, and think as a student myself a simple match, with some constructive feedback can go a long way.

The other think I thing to consider is that if you stick 2 cruisers in a match together.... ;)

What I would do, is set up a match, and split up the teams into their own TS channel. Give them each 5 min to discuss strategy as a team. The coaches should just listen and provide some small feedback, but at this point all us students should have a good idea of what needs to happen. Then start the match, and see how some basic preparation based on the previous sessions works with the students.

Once the match is complete the coaches can provide some feedback on each member of the team. One thing I liked in Naz's last session is he asked us what we think we did right, and what we did wrong, and provided feedback for us to think about.

Really if the teams are balanced enough and each member takes into account the lessons of the previous sessions, no one side should get totally steam rolled, and a good fight should be plenty.

Anyway just a student's suggestions here... :)
    f3wrLS.jpg
  • havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    drudgy wrote: »
    I've been in the class with Naz a few times and I really enjoy listening to his lessons. I agree with what he said, and think as a student myself a simple match, with some constructive feedback can go a long way.

The other think I thing to consider is that if you stick 2 cruisers in a match together.... ;)

What I would do, is set up a match, and split up the teams into their own TS channel. Give them each 5 min to discuss strategy as a team. The coaches should just listen and provide some small feedback, but at this point all us students should have a good idea of what needs to happen. Then start the match, and see how some basic preparation based on the previous sessions works with the students.

Once the match is complete the coaches can provide some feedback on each member of the team. One thing I liked in Naz's last session is he asked us what we think we did right, and what we did wrong, and provided feedback for us to think about.

Really if the teams are balanced enough and each member takes into account the lessons of the previous sessions, no one side should get totally steam rolled, and a good fight should be plenty.

Anyway just a student's suggestions here... :)

I think giving the students the chance to come up with a team is a good exercise in itself for the last session.

This would also greatly help with getting many students through the last session in a timely fashion.

For more advanced students its time to be the target caller. All in all i like the picture you paint here.