test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How did you guys get into playing STO?

lirvaevoli07lirvaevoli07 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
Like the title says, I'm wondering how people got into playing STO. Do people play because they enjoy sci-fi mmorpgs, are huge fans of star trek, or just stumbled upon this game and decided to try it out.
Post edited by lirvaevoli07 on

Comments

• Options
    jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I needed Trek after I finished Star Trek legacy, and with Christmas so far away, I was not going to get TOS so I could start watching Star Trek for the first time. (do not ask but I had never really watched Trek before that point, but I was a massssssive Trekkie / Trekker ) I had some money from my Birthday so I decided to buy the collectors edition version of the game. This was back in season 3. One of the best ?30 I have spent in my life.
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've been waiting for this game since 1966.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    mn03mn03 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I watched some Star trek Online images from Perpetual Entertainment and got hooked to it (plus, I'm a Star trek fan).

Edit: Not that current STO is bad, but just look at these images:
    * http://gaming.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/startrekonline/screens/perpetual/IntScreen.jpg
    * http://www.kill-more-people.de/images/games/star_trek/StarTrekOnline_scr1.jpg
    * http://www.trekkies.cz/storage/obrazky/2007/200712131200_to.jpg
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Got talked into trying it after it went F2P and our Orion Pirate campaign writers stopped writing new PvP campaigns since the main body of our players were moving to OS's that didn't support our game.

Long Live DYNAVERSE !!!
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Steam advertisement one year ago.
    mn03 wrote: »
    I watched some Star trek Online images from Perpetual Entertainment and got hooked to it (plus, I'm a Star trek fan).

Edit: Not that current STO is bad, but just look at these images:
    * http://gaming.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/startrekonline/screens/perpetual/IntScreen.jpg
    * http://www.kill-more-people.de/images/games/star_trek/StarTrekOnline_scr1.jpg
    * http://www.trekkies.cz/storage/obrazky/2007/200712131200_to.jpg

The UI looks nice on these screenshots, too bad something like that has been dropped during the development process. Abilities icons are a lot better. :D

And now we know that at the concepts of space combat have been developed at perpetual's studios and not under cryptic's rule, which is ironic if we consider they claim it to be their most successful element in the game.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    crappyforumnamecrappyforumname Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I got into playing STO by typing in a user name and password.
    edited February 2013
    I got a Beta invite (from having a CO lifetime) to STO, once it released I got a Lifetime to it and been playing casually ever since..
    draxonflynw1.jpg
  • Options
    mcconnamcconna Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Fan of star trek yet cheap, so didn't join till it went f2p. lol
  • Options
    dom1941dom1941 Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Looked intersting. loved it ever since:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've been a trekkie/trekker since the 60's. Played some ST games over the last few decades. Got into playing MMOs with EnB. When an ST IP based MMO came out, I became interested.
    Wound up with a beta invite to STO and been playing it ever since.

Lifer since the first day offered. Owner of multiple copies for the exclusives. Whale of a contributor to the growth of STO for a while now.

Just need some playable Romulans with a TOS Romulan BoP to complete my collection of TOS ships. :P
  • Options
    variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I was interested in it since it was first announced. I've always been a huge Star Trek fan, but I was hesitant about STO since my other forays into MMORPGs (WoW, EVE) ended up seeming like jobs. I felt like I was essentially paying a monthly fee to play a game that felt like a second job. When STO went F2P I wasn't able to resist, though.
  • Options
    vinru821vinru821 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I loved Star Trek since I was little ( 28 now ), my uncle started me off watching TNG.

Played a heap load of PC and console star trek games, think the only series I didnt bother with was that Voyager FPS

Once I bought myself a new gaming laptop 3 years ago ( yeah looking for a new one ), I downloaded this game ASAP and the next day bought a lifetime sub lol.

been playing on and off ever since.
    :eek:
  • Options
    lirvaevoli07lirvaevoli07 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    I've been waiting for this game since 1966.

waiting since 1966? i wasn't even born then! haha. i've never been a star trek fan myself. never even saw a movie or show until the latest movie that came out (noob). when this game came to perfect world i decided to try it out.

vinru821 wrote: »
    I loved Star Trek since I was little ( 28 now ), my uncle started me off watching TNG.

Played a heap load of PC and console star trek games, think the only series I didnt bother with was that Voyager FPS

Once I bought myself a new gaming laptop 3 years ago ( yeah looking for a new one ), I downloaded this game ASAP and the next day bought a lifetime sub lol.

been playing on and off ever since.

bought the lifetime sub the next day =O
  • Options
    vinru821vinru821 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

bought the lifetime sub the next day =O

Yeah i was thinking if i should admit that or not lol :D
    :eek:
  • Options
    starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I heard about the game at its launch, and heard all the bad press, so decided to give it a miss.

Then I saw STOked on YouTube, saw Chris and Jeremys enthusiasm for it, and decided to give it a try in November 2010. That same month, I bought a new computer specifically with STO in mind.

So, in short... it was the STOked pod/videocast! :D
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have been watching 'Star Trek' all of my life. In fact, my father used to hang 'Star Trek' and 'Star Wars' ship models over my crib. So, yeah. I heard about the game, which was under Perpetual Entertainment at the time, and followed it.

Then the IP transferred to Cryptic. I followed it then, too. I was kinda saddened by the change in format. I was looking forward to the Ships-Are-Clans idea. I wanted to play a Doctor. Still, it looked like it could be fun. So I preordered the game and the Lifetime Sub to go along with it.
  • Options
    z69evermoonz69evermoon Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Huge fan of Star trek Star fleet command series.

So when they used that eng. I jumpped on boad.

So far it started out bad. Then the fan started yelling because they were paying money for a TRIBBLE mog. The dev. team added some of are suggestions to the game and now its much better in fact they won a award this year. Star Trek online is really the first mog that the fans have had direct control over dev. Its like a infant that we bullied into a now lazy pimpled pre teen.

Right now they gone back to Star Trek 5 the final frontair the Holodeck has buggs were running out of new things to do. Old things are breaking and not being fixed.

We need fresh weekly episodes.
    More Bridge officer abilitys like suicide shuttles
    More Weapons
    More Ships
    More C-store items
    Race specific ships
    Terror dome on the que system
    Better PVP
    The list goes on

Right now the dev. team is down to a skeleten crew, most of the officers are lost in the woods. The rest are singing Row Row your Boat. At some point I sure they will distract us with a 55 year old woman with feather fans or the rock suits will come in untill then you have to keep the pressure on them so your time and money are not wasted.

Thanks
  • Options
    mrkollinsmrkollins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Looking for an new MMO, hear about STO going F2P so here i am.
    Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    thomas12255thomas12255 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It was a Star Trek game.
    [SIGPIC]http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Thomas45-STO.png[/SIGPIC]

{UFP}Thomas45 - Thomas Nixon U.S.S. Majesty Unbound
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I heard about STO and joined the beta. I was curious, and wanted to play a Sci Fi mmo. I'm not really a Trek fan, only seen some movies as a kid when I first started to play.
    When the game get released, I didn't buy it, because I though it was far from finished, and closer to a solo game than a MMO.
    When the game went f2p, I tested it again, and they did work a lot of the game, so I play.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    claransaclaransa Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I seriously burned myself out beta testing MOTU for DDO and couldn't face doing it all over again on live so I was looking for a new home and some one told me STO went free to play.

Now I'm a lifer and one of these years i'm gonna have to get back to DDO just to say hey to the old guild, their gonna wonder what happened to me.
  • Options
    cyckathcyckath Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Star Trek fan, like sci-fi games/MMOs over fantasy TRIBBLE. Played the trial, loved it. Bought a heavily discounted Gold Edition box about 6 months before F2P and subscribed til I hit VA on my main toon.
  • Options
    sparklysoldiersparklysoldier Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    City of Heroes, the game that introduced me to MMO's, shut down (and on a tangent, way to make us CoH fans feel welcome, Jack! :rolleyes:) and I began my search for another MMO. What I loved about CoH was the character builder and ability to write your own backstory, and, though I'd heard a lot about Star Trek Online and was mildly curious as a fan of the shows, the setting just didn't feel right to me as an MMO.

But when the same friend who talked me into City of Heroes told me that STO has an amazing character builder, and you can write your own bio, and you can create your own race with its own planet and history, my imagination was sparked and I was sold on at least giving it a try. And after creating a character I really like and seeing practically every detail from every series thrown together into a crazy smorgasbord of Trekdom ("...and so after I met Naomi Wildman at Deep Space K-7, I went to the P'Jem monastery to fight Species 8472!"), I had to stick around and at least see what else is around the corner. You know, like pulling the Enterprise-C into an alternate future ruled by the Dominion and the Tholians... :)
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Was always a Star Trek fan. I heard it was coming out back when it was first announced. Been playing since launch.
  • Options
    aurigas7aurigas7 Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I googled for pictures/info of the Andorian battlecruiser Kumari. Found a discussion on STO forum about the "soon to be released" ship.
    This was the point were I finally decided to give it a try. Two or more years ago. :mad:
    Vorcha_forward.jpg
  • Options
    lterlter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've never played an MMO before, but since I'm a huge Star Trek fan I decided to try it when it went F2P. Before of that I didn't tried cause generally I'm not willing to pay for a game that its not translated and supported into Spanish (my language), and now that I know this kind of games, with more reason.

The next year, if the things remain that way, I'll go to Star Citizen.
  • Options
    madmanmoonmadmanmoon Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I got a nasty chest infection and was home sick for what ended up being 3 weeks. Discovered STO went F2P about the 3rd or 4th day in. By the time I went back to work, I'd leveled my first character (Tac) to 50, and my second (Eng) to 25 or so. I bought a LTS during the sale sometime last year. I've never been so hooked on a game before.
  • Options
    jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Star Trek Fan from way back ... follows the game on and off when Perpetual had it ... played it, loved it LTS ... 3 years latter I am still here.