test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is your relationships with your bridge crew like?

2»

Comments

• Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I love how one of the combos says, "Danger: Do Not Mix." :D

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    sumghai wrote: »
    I think a diagram would best describe the relationship between the senior officers and crew of my ship:

http://sumghai.deviantart.com/art/Doodle-USS-Odyssey-crew-relationship-chart-353600847

;)

Heh, I should make one of those. :D
  • Options
    sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Heh, I should make one of those. :D

I used Microsoft Visio for the nodes and arrows, with STO screenshots of my BOffs photoshopped in.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • Options
    chrisedallen89chrisedallen89 Member Posts: 17,293 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Camaraderie, flirtation, and some romance. Friendship making as well.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think a diagram would best describe the relationship between the senior officers and crew of my ship:

http://sumghai.deviantart.com/art/Doodle-USS-Odyssey-crew-relationship-chart-353600847

;)

That diagram is pure gold! Awesome! :D
  • Options
    hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Nah, the relations are quite clear in my head, but I figured that a visual method would get the point across much, much quicker :)

It did! Great graphic. (I liked the rest of what I saw on your dA page, too.)

I took the OP to be referring only to romantic relationships. I've got all the others mapped out in my head as well, but it would probably require a chart like this to explain.
  • Options
    lady0mysterylady0mystery Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    hfmudd wrote: »
    It did! Great graphic. (I liked the rest of what I saw on your dA page, too.)

I took the OP to be referring only to romantic relationships. I've got all the others mapped out in my head as well, but it would probably require a chart like this to explain.

I actually meant friendships too as well... which is why I said Friendships AND other relationship types. ;)

That said, I think I may be stealing that chart idea...that was pretty good. :D
  • Options
    aleaicaleaic Member Posts: 352 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Awesome-sauce chart. :)

I think my crew would also be a Nadesico type crew, but in this case, actually 'do' deserve their ship(s). Kinda could extend into the Doffs, since I've done them so much, they too are developed as a part of the crew.

I think the basis of my crew relationships, bases from the family line that my three starfleet captains all hail from, the Kerensky family, of whom Jeain and Terrai were Starfleet officers themselves, that adopted Aleaic and Ashar, into a family that ends up with multiple sisters (genetic) one of whom, Caladeni, also ends up in Starfleet. Hikari ends up in Aleaic's crew, soon after the Vega incident, to watch out for her younger adopted brother, while Caladeni (Sci) and Ashar (Tac) end up on their own ships. All are VAs now, and have complex crews of their own.

Aleaic is in a love triangle with two fem boffs, among his command crew (twenty plus boffs, that I have accumilated,) that has lasted since Aleaic first ever remembers 'being' on Earth. (The whole sorta lost son of a homeworld way outside the Federation, in the Beta Quad somewhere not discovered, that has it's own unknown history with the Iconians... anywho...) Most of Aleaic's crew come from a rather large friendship family, that comes from Japan, Florida and Montana (since shuttles and transporters are so prevalent,) as well as attachments from all across the Alpha Quad, in the years since attaining command. (Half Romulan, Breen, Reman, Klink, Orion, Gorn... almost all bases covered race wise.) Relationships are complex, and allowed, as long as professionalism on duty is maintained. Must all work, since the crew has faced everything that game content has to offer, and thrived.

Ashar has a crew of all females, that... well... complex imagination warrented here. Caladeni has a crew that's mostly female, more of a sisterly (clean) setup here, with a Tellarite male, that is a long time friend and confidant, sorta like what Sisko and Dax had going. And all of them have a loving Father, whom (for moi directed part,) is the Ambassador to Tellar, whom keeps a keen eye on his prides and joys, as well as a Mother that is equal parts proud, and still STEAMED at them all, for the three being at Vega, when the Borg attack occured. Jeain still lets them have it, now and again about that, making three Admirals feel like kids again, each and every time. And the hooks of family reach well and deep, for most of the various crews, some with parents and sibilings in Starfleet, others in the Merchant fleet, others in civilian roles, a lot of which is 'borrowed' from many of my favorite books, series, anime, so on... (Not making any money off of this, just paying dues for the verteran perks. :p )

If anything from thus jumbo is clear, is that my scale of family and more, permeates my various crews, beyond just the second star to the right. More like five stars after that, and so on. One day I should write about this, just for fun. Probably more than enoguh one shots and characters than one can keep up with, but that's how I roll with my crews. :)
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,994 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    My character is mirror universe, his relationship with his first officer is one of brotherhood after their experience of being born into slavery, they escaped and have fought together ever since.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
      edited February 2013
      Did you ever, in your mind, actively purse a friendship or a intimate relationship with any of your bridge crew for your captain character in STO?
      Since "Star Trek: Online" is not designed in a similar manner as "Dragon Age: Origins", the only use I have for my bridge officers is strategical. "Star Trek: Online" was not designed with dialogue options and cinematics, which could be used to develop a storyline between pcs and companion npcs. My bridge crew are soulless drones. Nothing more.
    • Options
      squatsaucesquatsauce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited February 2013
      My main (and functionally only) character is Commander Khas Ker'at, an inscrutable bug-man from the future. He is the only of his species serving in Starfleet and he finds humanoids to be physically repulsive. His ideal woman bears an uncomfortable resemblance to a queen xenomorph or large tyranid.

His relationship with his female Andorian first officer Shanda is about as close to cordial as he can manage. She finds him amusing and respects his command ability, and he finds her helpful and reliable, qualities he appreciates. There are occasional flares of non-romantic interpersonal tension between them as Khas' direct, pragmatic, and unemotional orders occasionally grate with her sense of empathy and humanism. It's this exact dynamic between them that has helped the horrible alien bugman to become a more effective captain.

Khas has a functional, but adversarial relationship with his male Andorian Chief Engineer, a man usually referred to as "Piper". They work work well in a crisis situation, but Piper comes across as quietly resentful of Khas when things are otherwise fine.

Taryal, the female unjoined Trill science officer, has an odd relationship with Khas. Tarayl, who can best be described as "enthusiastically sociopathic", is delighted by Khas and his objectively horrible demeanor. Khas finds her propensity to try and weaponize as many of the ship's subsystems as she can to be a source of quiet comfort. Khas finds her ambiguous interest him in unsettling and gross, though. They otherwise enjoy a good professional relationship.
    • Options
      thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
      edited February 2013
      That's "Tyranid(tm)"

Remember, GW Lawyers will eat you faster than the Tyranids(tm) and are magnitudes more ravenous.
    • Options
      squatsaucesquatsauce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited February 2013
      That's "Tyranid(tm)"

Remember, GW Lawyers will eat you faster than the Tyranids(tm) and are magnitudes more ravenous.

I am but a simple man with nothing left to lose.

Bring it.
    • Options
      notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
      edited February 2013
      very fragile, and I am not sure if my female orion should get involved with her all Gorn tactical officers in any kind of intimate relationship.
      Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
      Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Options
      twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
      edited February 2013
      I've grown to hate all of my meat shields. They keep failing to throw themselves in front if the Tholians to save their dear captain...
      <3
    • Options
      lady0mysterylady0mystery Member Posts: 1 Arc User
      edited February 2013
      Okay, I made my own flowchart too...

only thing, is... I might had made a mess out of it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/SailorAurora/Flowchart_zps7e49994b.jpg

tell me what you think.
    • Options
      cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
      edited February 2013
      sumghai wins the thread.

I can't see photobucket at work, but I will look at your chart at home.

This is insprational stuff :)
    • Options
      hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
      edited February 2013
      linyive wrote: »
      Since "Star Trek: Online" is not designed in a similar manner as "Dragon Age: Origins", the only use I have for my bridge officers is strategical. "Star Trek: Online" was not designed with dialogue options and cinematics, which could be used to develop a storyline between pcs and companion npcs. My bridge crew are soulless drones. Nothing more.

You could try using your imagination. Or were you released without that feature, and haven't had it patched in yet?
    • Options
      lukeminherexxlukeminherexx Member Posts: 81 Arc User
      edited February 2013
      While there may be some flirtation between Captain Luke Minhere and his essential #1, there will not be an actual physical relationship unless she moves on to another ship. With that said, I like to write, therefor I guarantee nothing, and reserve the right to change my opinion as the story flows. :)

MY relationship with them is of course different. I do not consider myself the captain or the main character..etc. I am the author. The characters, much like in any story, have their place. Some I am close to and like, others I do not particularly care for but they seem to fit the "story".
      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________
      You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else. -Einstein

• Options
      lukeminherexxlukeminherexx Member Posts: 81 Arc User
      edited February 2013
      hfmudd wrote: »
      You could try using your imagination. Or were you released without that feature, and haven't had it patched in yet?

You mean..... think for yourself? But... aren't others suppose to do that? They get paid the big bucks to do the THINKING! I am not sure where you are going with this Mr. hfmudd, but thinking is not what I come here to do!!! :P
      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________
      You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else. -Einstein

• Options
      sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
      edited February 2013
      Okay, I made my own flowchart too...

only thing, is... I might had made a mess out of it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/SailorAurora/Flowchart_zps7e49994b.jpg

tell me what you think.

Took me a while to follow all the colored lines, but yeah, looks interesting :)
      sumghai wins the thread.

I can haz cookie? :D
      Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
    • Options
      bereggaberegga Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited February 2013
      I've been thinking a bit about this due to the challenge of playing a Betazoid captain and not doing either Deanna Troi (primarily active listening) or Lwaxana (intrusive, god-modding, and likely unethical.) Her compromise is generally to only call people out on their internal thoughts if she thinks it's relevant to operation of the ship. She expects her bridge crew to speak directly with honesty and candor, and will interrupt and ask questions if she's not getting it.

On the romance front, she's notorious for openly dressing down a junior officer for fantasizing about multiple members of the bridge crew. She pointed out in no uncertain terms that she was legally married (if separated), that for her to give him that kind of reputation would unethically harm his career, and that his imagined sexual prowess was likely exaggerated. The resulting ship-board rumor that she's unavailable and a stickler for rules in this area has worked well to keep those problems out of her office.
    • Options
      takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
      edited February 2013

;)

I liked this diagram. :D

As for my Main Takeshi Yamato's Bridge Crew, he's married to his Security Chief, Linda Allster (actually Linda Allster-Yamato now). He's also good friends with his XO, a Klingon named Brok'tan, and knows the rest of his Senior Officers pretty well. And his Tactical Officer, a laid-back prankster named Kevin Maxwell, always calls Takeshi 'Boss' instead of 'Captain'. :cool:

I'd probably need to come up with a diagram like yours in order to display it all, though. :o
      76561198160276582.png
    • Options
      sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
      edited February 2013
      Sometimes. The problem I have is that as good as the character creator is, there are a lot of weird limitations that prevent me from fully appreciating my Boffs. Not being able to use off-duty outfits, the Videk robes, and the M.A.C.O./OMEGA Force outfits on Boffs, not to mention the fact that you can't really make young/adolescent characters or females with chests smaller than a B-Cup, or fat people really well.

There's supposed to be three adolescent characters, one of them in robes/a dress, a fully armed M.A.C.O. unit for warzones (my captain ain't no dummy), as well as a few species that aren't in the game yet. The decided lack of those options kind of ruins the fun. :(

You can make adolescent Gorn: scale them on the shrimpy side, set stance to "creature" and leave off the head spines.

My KDF main is a deeply conflicted Gorn who yearns to free his people from Klingon oppression but is unwilling to give up the power and prestige that comes with being a celebrated general in the KDF. The one thing he hates most about Klingons is the way that they press-gang Gorn children to serve in their military, either not realizing or not caring that Gorn mature at about half the rate that Klingons do. (A 14-y.o. Klingon is a full adult, but at that age a Gorn is a pre-adolescent.) So he has rescued and adopted several young Gorn who now serve on his crew. He is extremely protective of them, but he gives them some responsibilities and even brings them along on some less-dangerous away missions.

My Fed main (human tac) had a relationship with his Andorian security chiefbut he had her reassigned when things got too hot. He hasn't allowed himself any further personal relationships with his crew, although his replacement security chief is his adopted (alien) brother.

The two of them (Ssharki and LaRoca) were close friends before the war. (Ssharki spent some time on Earth and served briefly in Starfleet as part of a cultural exchange.) They remain in close correspondence, and have arranged an informal officer exchange by swapping junior security officers.

I'm still working on developing RP for my other toons.
      16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
      - Anne Bredon
    • Options
      felixhexfelixhex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited February 2013
      My first captain ever created was Corbin Grais. He advance all the way to Vice Admiral. IN that time he met and secretly married his security officer Ashlyn Welso. Also, his best friend from the academy, Gavock, a Vulcan, joined him and eventually served as his number one. Unfortunatly, during the recent mission "temporal agent" I think it was called, Vice Admiral Grais was lost forvever. He was sucked out into space after a hull breach fighting off tholians. But, a new Captain has emerged named Jon T. Pierce. Hopefully he can hold my crew together.
    • Options
      nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
      edited February 2013
      i made my chief engineer into my partner so in my mind both my main and him are married.

i really did love the job i did with my Andorian first officer i had her since the tutorial all the way up to lvl 50 and liked her so much i saved her look deleted her and made a alt with her own command.
      0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
    • Options
      mussapiensmussapiens Member Posts: 8 Arc User
      edited February 2013
      My character, as a concept, has a problem with skin contact - she's a mnemonic vampire who involuntarily drains and consumes memories when skin touches skin. Those memories are literally consumed - they exist in her mind for a time, like food in the stomach, before being broken into component emotions and digested. There is a quicker, and more selective way to do this by attaching a tentacle of brain matter extruded from the top of her skull, lamprey-like, to the spine of a willing or subdued victim, but skin contact does it all the same. As such, she's covered completely in clothing, and will likely never pursue a romantic relationship due to the severe physical handicap. However, she 'knows what its like' to be in such a relationship, as she ate people who loved or desired others. Good enough. It'll have to be.

There's another alien on the crew, a red-skinned, orange-haired ensign who I imagine as coming from a very hot world (high vulcanism AND closest to its parent star). Both are orphans, in their way - Mnemophage is the only one of her kind that she knows of, and Seichu, despite being very religious by Starfleet standards, is the closest thing her world has to an atheist due to having even a moderate interest in the sciences. While Mnem doesn't love-love Sei, there is something of a mentor relationship working itself out in my head. Both know what its like to be outcast, even monsters, and while Mnem envies Sei for her continuity of existence (given as Mnem continuously eats her own past), she is also further advanced in both scientific pursuits and Starfleet rank due to the fact that she can osmose knowledge out of peoples' heads and effectively grow neurons at will. It may grow into mother-child, depending on how many fires Sei sets.
    • Options
      twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
      edited February 2013
      My first officer abandoned me on my way to Epohh tagging. I'd reprimand him, but I can see his position on it.
      <3