test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Priority One Supplemental Interview

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited February 2013 in Galactic News Network [PC]
In part one of a supplemental episode of Priority One, Lead Designer Al "CaptainGeko" Rivera stops by to answer community submitted questions.

Link to the interview.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I listened to this earlier and i enjoyed it. looking forward to part 2 next week. a few interesting things come out of this.

spoilers (if people like to listen before hearing about what was discussed)

i guess the biggest things for me are; he talks about wanting to add the xindi ships. might not be this year but these are ships I would love to see and im glad its on their radar, especially if they tie it to story missions.

the next update could be around 4 times the size of previous seasons (he does go on to say that might be overselling it) but its a rough idea of what they are aiming for, based on time and staff levels compared to earlier seasons.

the idea of why they stopped FE for the time being to fill up endgame that needed filling, and that the new update will see a return of story content in a big way.

of the new ships they are working on, there are around 20 that he cant tell us what they are for. adds more weight to the romulan faction speculation.
  • usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    the next update could be around 4 times the size of previous seasons (he does go on to say that might be overselling it) but its a rough idea of what they are aiming for, based on time and staff levels compared to earlier seasons.

so 4x the amount of bugs that may never get fixed ? , it is all well and good adding new ships etc but what about the bugs ? , with each of the added seasons or what ever you want to call them the bug list grows more and more . surely time has come to rid this game of all/most of the bugs before you loose all the loyal fans , saying this will proberly fall on deaf ears when $$$ is involved . cryptic claim to listen but have proven they dont time and time again , dont get me wrong as i like new toys to play with but enough is enough (incoming flame from elite fanboys now)
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • redvinestudiosredvinestudios Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    In part one of a supplemental episode of Priority One, Lead Designer Al "CaptainGeko" Rivera stops by to answer community submitted questions.

Link to the interview.

Thank you for the interview. I have taken the tools available to us in the character creation system and created as closely as possible, a Reptilian Xindi officer serving in Starfleet.

I would love to speak with someone on the design team about submitting the design for review.

-Tim
  • molen#7916 molen Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    To all parties involved since you seem to be confused...the fleet Guramba is not out yet so feel free to release it at any time, been waiting for that.
  • eisenw0lfeisenw0lf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Wait, did he really mention a Fleet Chimera? Isn't this the Fed veteran ship? Wow, if this is going to be a broad release to everyone the Lifetimersubscibers will get really mad ...
  • darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited February 2013
    Looking forward to seas.....[redacted]......

I am known to cause a few problems for the Mods and Brandon on the forums and sometimes on twitter, but I am genuinely looking foward for what is to come... :D

Will Listen to the interview tomorrow :D
  • tehjoneltehjonel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    this is an excellent interview. pretty much the kind of interview i was waiting to hear (as a free to play'er) since i haven't been following the game since release.

keep up the good work. i really enjoyed the interview, and it makes me appreciate the game a lot more. gg.

@tehjonel
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Wow. He really doesn't like paying for cable.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As a Sci captain I guess I should be excited about the Fleet D'Kyr but I'm really not. I think the Vesta will still be a better ship.

I bet the KDF are excited about the Fleet Guramba though.
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Nobody geeks out like Al. =) But seriously... no questions about the info-graphic? NONE? How about a question concerning those 2 million captains (not that I'd expect a straight answer). :rolleyes:

Thanks P1
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As a Sci captain I guess I should be excited about the Fleet D'Kyr but I'm really not. I think the Vesta will still be a better ship.

Like all Starfleet, you talk and you talk, but you have no guramba! ;)
    GwaoHAD.png
  • carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Again I wonder why these podcasts even have devs like Al and Dan Stahl on their show,they constantly repeat the same things a thousand times over,things that no one wants to hear....and the questions we all want answered are swept under the rug.

These guys are like politicians.....and everybody just "loves" politicians right?:rolleyes:
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Like all Starfleet, you talk and you talk, but you have no guramba! ;)

I thought that was what you said...

/picard_sweeping_strikes

:cool:

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Wonderful interview! :)

I really like to hear interviews from the devs, and the fact that they are so excited about the game they are working on. I am so pleased that STO is doing well, expanding its workforce and increasing its game play quality and quantity.

These interviews really give a 'feel good' factor. Please do more of them, even if it's just talking about how much you enjoy your job.

Thanks for asking (and answering) my question too!
  • chandlerasharichandlerashari Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    nynik wrote: »
    Nobody geeks out like Al. =) But seriously... no questions about the info-graphic? NONE? How about a question concerning those 2 million captains (not that I'd expect a straight answer). :rolleyes:

Thanks P1

dude listen to the last episode, 2 million captains = 2 million accounts.

That said some of them can be troll accounts etc.

:p
  • alexhurlbutalexhurlbut Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Vesta is already fleet level with her 10 console slots.
  • betawatcherbetawatcher Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Wow. I just listened to his interview and when they asked him what the biggest things about the game that needed improvement in 2013 he didnt even mention the KDF. That is just pathetic.
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Some more hints to whats in store for the KDF wouldve helped started defusing an sore playerbase, thats for sure.
    Hopefully part two will hold more info for the KDF fans.

Overall he does sound very excited about the upcomming year.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • elijahmreelijahmre Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hey Captains!

The best way to make sure you don't miss out on Part 2 of our interview w/ Al Rivera is to subscribe to our RSS Feed or find us on iTunes!!

feeds.priorityonepodcast.com

In Part 2, Al Rivera answers community submitted questions!!

Thanks for all the amazing feedback!!

Sincerely,
    -Elijah
    edited February 2013
    elijahmre wrote: »
    Hey Captains!

The best way to make sure you don't miss out on Part 2 of our interview w/ Al Rivera is to subscribe to our RSS Feed or find us on iTunes!!

feeds.priorityonepodcast.com

In Part 2, Al Rivera answers community submitted questions!!

Thanks for all the amazing feedback!!

Sincerely,
    -Elijah

Yeah I'll be listening, but answering community questions doesnt change the fact that when asked what big things he thought needed improving in 2013 he didnt even mention the KDF.
    edited February 2013
    Yeah I'll be listening, but answering community questions doesnt change the fact that when asked what big things he thought needed improving in 2013 he didnt even mention the KDF.

There are more important things than the KDF.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

There are more important things than your very own preferences, but who cares, this post is just another troll. :rolleyes:
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
    edited February 2013

Maybe, but it is certainly one of the biggest things that need improvement in 2013, which was the question that was asked.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Clearly you didn't think this through before posting it.

While I agree that there are more important things, there's... not many. Maybe one or two. General player retention as mentioned by Geko being one of them.

But finishing the KDF is, and rightly should be, one of the forefront issues that should be addressed, and it is rather irksome that it wasn't even mentioned in the interview.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Link to the interview.

Found it interesting Al talking about another Tutorial Revamp and how people still get lost on ESD.

Now, not to say "I told you", but I told you Cat's signs just wasn't good enough since the signs only say what's in the next room, not where everything is relative to the entire ESD.

Here were my versions of the ESD Maps that I felt was more appropriate:

ESD Map 1
    ESD Map 2

And the tutorial itself, it tells you how to move a character, but not a ship. Really does not touch the basics, only people who are versed in games have common enough senset to rebeind keys or change settings. So all of these should be covered prior to you sending players out to battle.
    edited February 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Clearly you didn't think this through before posting it.

While I agree that there are more important things, there's... not many. Maybe one or two. General player retention as mentioned by Geko being one of them.

But finishing the KDF is, and rightly should be, one of the forefront issues that should be addressed, and it is rather irksome that it wasn't even mentioned in the interview.

There has been more updates to the KDF than PVP in over 3 years, The KDF is not dying PVP on the other hand is a joke, and needs a major overhaul.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    if sto has a steep learning curve eve online is brain surgery :D
  • tebsutebsu Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    things like autofire (rightclick on weapon) should be included in the tutorial (if it is, its included at a bad point). you may guess how many times i was hitting spacebar.. until level 10 or something when i first played that game. It may be common to other MMORGP?s but as i usually do not play something like that, i didnt know.
    What ? Calaway.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ESD is overwhelming?!? :eek:

*facepalm*

Waiter, we're gonna' need a couple of bottles of brain-juice, please! :rolleyes: :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited February 2013
    There has been more updates to the KDF than PVP in over 3 years, The KDF is not dying PVP on the other hand is a joke, and needs a major overhaul.

Like I said earlier, the KDF may not be *THE* biggest issue, but it is certainly *ONE OF* the biggest issues that needs improvement in 2013, and that was the question he was asked.