test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Hire a lackey!

mancommancom Member Posts: 784 Arc User
edited February 2013 in PvP Gameplay
I propose that Cryptic hire someone whose job it is to play the game 6h a day and report to the relevant people at cryptic / write bug reports the remaining 2h of the 8h workday.

There are so many issues in this game (pvp, pve and general UI) which everybody who actually plays it knows about, and yet the devs always seem to be surprised. Having someone at cryptic who plays the game and reports about these experiences could help improve this situation.

And how expensive could it possibly be to pay someone to play a computer game?
Post edited by mancom on

Comments

• Options
    disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'll do it for 11$/hr
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • Options
    maicake716maicake716 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I know why you posted this lol.

Yeah, the ignorance of the devs can be quite frustrating

I mean seriously.... It's like they never play their own game or do testing in realistic situations when trying something. It's almost like they only look at it on paper then slap it in the game.

They also need a better QA department and need to fire all who's there currently for gross incompetence.
    mancom wrote: »
    Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
    Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
    Do you even Science Bro?
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    i can pass a wizz quiz
  • Options
    keisyeakeisyea Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    *Hands over resume*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dova25dova25 Member Posts: 475
    edited February 2013
    Good idea.
    It could be done alternatively by taking suggestions/critics/remarks from players who, lets say, have done more than 1000-2000 matches on their char.Their suggestions could be taken in a separate thread by an cryptic employee.
    I think there should be a impartial person who would have to do that .If for example, the cryptic employee would be a federation fan then kdf will have to loose slowly but sure.
    (Maybe have to play half the time as fed and other half of time as kdf ?)
    "There already is a Borg faction, its called the Federation. They assimilate everyone else's technology and remove any biological or technical distinctiveness and add it to their own."
    I refuse to be content https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U
  • Options
    dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The rumour is, the devs actually play the game and even build their own starbase :P
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • Options
    havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    the common sense is strong in this thread, it must not prevail

is it may yet?
  • Options
    disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    dalnar83 wrote: »
    The rumour is, the devs actually play the game and even build their own starbase :P

I think its called Starfleet dental. Or maybe it was shut up wesly......
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    but seriously though, if the systems team had one of us hard core pvp'ers on it, it would make such a difference for ability ballence
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    dalnar83 wrote: »
    Lies!

But seriously: The chat tab / team channel bug that got introduced with S4(?) still has not been adressed. This tells me that the devs don't play this game to any relevant extent.

(And that's just the harmless stuff. The recent attempt to pull a "it's a UI issue" on us after almost a year of FAW being acc bugged was bewildering.)
  • Options
    havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Lies!

But seriously: The chat tab / team channel bug that got introduced with S4(?) still has not been adressed. This tells me that the devs don't play this game to any relevant extent.

(And that's just the harmless stuff. The recent attempt to pull a "it's a UI issue" on us after almost a year of FAW being acc bugged was bewildering.)

Nothing beats the cloak is working as intended bug, still cracks me up

is it may yet?
  • Options
    xsharpexxsharpex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'll do it for 11$/hr

i'll do it for 10.95 =)
  • Options
    kartimozkartimoz Member Posts: 57
    edited February 2013
    I propose that Cryptic hire someone whose job it is to play the game 6h a day and report to the relevant people at cryptic / write bug reports the remaining 2h of the 8h workday....

Great post - I agree 110%! ^^
  • Options
    user839020189287user839020189287 Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    but seriously though, if the systems team had one of us hard core pvp'ers on it, it would make such a difference for ability ballence

Good idea!

Maybe have a PVP focus group, too?

Judging from the game experience and until I am proven other-wise, the devs appear to not have any PVP experience. WoW BGs do not count. ;)

If they were serious about PVP in STO, I would jump at the chance to help shape it.
    "Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
    Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8
  • Options
    dova25dova25 Member Posts: 475
    edited February 2013
    Well improvements over this idea :

-2 players at least : one for federation side and one for kdf side .
    (I pinpoint again the impartiality which is very important in my opinion in such job)

-11 $/hr is too much if we take in account that in some parts of the world people work for much less so it would be easy to find 2 people to work for this rate taking in account that being an employee would give free access to all ships/gear/etc in game to such player.

About developers playing the game I think that in Red Alert channel one of them confirmed that they do actually play the game and are building a base.
    (I wonder if that has anything to do that jhas is so OP ? :)) )
    "There already is a Borg faction, its called the Federation. They assimilate everyone else's technology and remove any biological or technical distinctiveness and add it to their own."
    I refuse to be content https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U
  • Options
    maicake716maicake716 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    dova25 wrote: »
    About developers playing the game I think that in Red Alert channel one of them confirmed that they do actually play the game and are building a base.
    (I wonder if that has anything to do that jhas is so OP ? :)) )

you dont actually need to play the game to build a base..... -_-

and anything you need to play in the game has no direct impact on building abase since all of the pvp in this game has nothing to do with fleets apparently.

sure itll give dilithium from time to time, but the amount of effort to get that dilithium compiared to pve means is way out of line.
    Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
    Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
    Do you even Science Bro?
  • Options
    thishorizonthishorizon Member Posts: 1,158
    edited February 2013
    I make about $50 an hour running a 22 million dollar a year business. I employ 122 people.

I would gladly take a small pay cut and move to head up a department that would test this game and most likely have an incredible impact. I know the majority of the current pvprs in the game, and could recruit a bunch of them fairly quickly I imagine. They could work from home.

Also, video game testers make more that $11 an hour. It should be about $15.

If a dev is reading this, send a mail to @CaptainHorizon if you are interested. I have no experience creating games, but I can play anything and tell you if that **** is broken or not, and how to read the environment to fix it. It's what I do.

Have fun kill bad guys

-thrusters on full-
  • Options
    redrickyredricky Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have half jokingly suggested a kickstarter for similar things. I would contribute.

I'll say that I don't know anything about coding games or development. But, I don't know that it's fair to be so hard on devs for not personally playing.

There was a Seinfeld episode where Elaine was dating a gynecologist. He was talking about how it couldn't be a good idea because of how people get tired of work. "You know if you're a short order cook and at the end of the day you say 'If I see one more hamburger I'm going to lose my mind.'"

I've done martial arts since age 10 and it's been a passion of mine. For a few years I taught it full time and although it was rewarding I got bone-tired of certain things and it really impacted that passion.

What I'm saying is, Hilbert is right on that they need a lackey. They can't be expected to bring the same level of passion to the game when it's their job. We're concerned about balance, fairness, fun, competitive atmosphere, etc. It's awesome that bort can even come around to discuss this stuff. But some days he's going to get bone-tired too.

I don't doubt that bort and the rest love this game, but when I was teaching martial arts I also got bogged down in interpersonal issues with my instructors, parents, behavior, enrollment, getting the kid who just sneezed into his hands to go wash them before I tell him to hip toss some other kid... I never fought. I barely worked out. But I was just as drained as if I had.

We want a competitive, brilliant atmosphere because we have passion for this game, and we get to enjoy it primarily as a game. bort and the rest have to, at some point, be ok if it's functional, profitable, and reasonably exploit free. That's why it's a good idea to pay somebody to play who can worry about just that, playing, and point out issues without having them tied in their own head to the implications they hold for coding, staffing, etc.
    livinrtblivinrtb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I propose that Cryptic hire someone whose job it is to play the game 6h a day and report to the relevant people at cryptic / write bug reports the remaining 2h of the 8h workday.

Why pay someone when they have 2/3rds of opvp playing 12hrs a day and then fourm posting
    for a couple hrs at work about the bugs,exploits and genral shananigans that go on. They have a free work force...called US. If we quit posting in pvp fourms they will have no choice but to hire Hilbert...thats all we really need...VIVA LA DRIVER COIL GOD...

My wife and i have both agreed that if cryptic hires Hilbert we will both purchase Life Time Memberships...8D
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    livinrtb wrote: »
    Why pay someone when they have 2/3rds of opvp playing 12hrs a day and then fourm posting for a couple hrs at work about the bugs,exploits and genral shananigans that go on.
    While it is true that the playerbase provides enough knowledge that Cryptic could use, the truth is that Cryptic is not fully taking advantage of this.

Having a Cryptic employee fill such a position could give more weight to the obvious observations and reduce the cases where we have to battle Cryptic for months to just acknowledge that we are not simply imagining the issues. It could also help Cryptic with filtering opinions if that payed-for-playing person got close enough to the different in-game communities (space/ground pvp, stfs, foundry, doffing) to get a feeling for who you can rely on when it comes to certain things. I'm not convinced that Cryptic is currently able to reliably tell knowledgable players and notorious isolated complainers apart. (And also evaluate from which angle they are coming, even if they are "experts". Example: while I think that I do know a bit about pvp, I'm probably biased towards dps cruisers and pressure damage.)
  • Options
    devorasxdevorasx Member Posts: 693
    edited February 2013
    I wonder, can Cryptic release us the metrics so the active community can actually get a glimpse on the cold hard facts? Will even give us a chance to crunch numbers.
    Co-founder of The Spanish Inquisition TSI - Cause no one expects it!

PaxOttomana: gawd mirror event is like fighting a tsi premade, they keep comin and comin!
  • Options
    bobtheyakbobtheyak Member Posts: 374 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    i can pass a wizz quiz

You can? I've got a cup that needs to be filled - help me out, bro?
  • Options
    mrkollinsmrkollins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'll do it for 2$/hr

Or just free, what the heck, I love STO (including all the bugs), is the game i play.
    Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    bobtheyak wrote: »
    You can? I've got a cup that needs to be filled - help me out, bro?

mail me a self addressed specimen cup and we can proboly work something out :D
This discussion has been closed.