test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What's the point of Ship Crew?

2»

Comments

• tripphtripph Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've always wondered, where do the replacements for killed crew come from? Shouldn't we at least have to put in at a starbase to replace them?

(And yes, I can imagine the uproar if they ever implemented something like that.)
    _____

I'm still fairly new. If I screwed up again, let me know.
  • tfomegatfomega Member Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    tripph wrote: »
    I've always wondered, where do the replacements for killed crew come from? Shouldn't we at least have to put in at a starbase to replace them?

(And yes, I can imagine the uproar if they ever implemented something like that.)

The remaining crew have babies that grow up to become academy graduates in the few minutes that you are out of battle.

Alive crew should scale with hull damage.

Meaning.. that if you are 62% hull, you should have 62% alive crew because the hull has taken some damage and there are breeches/explosions and some crew have died. However, the crew recovery rate should remain the same as it is now... slowly regenerating while you are in battle and significantly when you are out of battle.

The only problem here how fast they die.

I AM NOT A FAN OF PWE!!!!
    MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2010
  • vinru821vinru821 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The crews are just full of scardy cats that all abandon ship once you start fighting lol
    :eek:
  • kevlintallfellowkevlintallfellow Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    After flying Vo'Quv carriers on three different KDF characters, it's pretty universal to see all 5000 crew disabled by the time I destroy the first couple of enemy ships, and if I'm spending the hour doing the Mirror Universe event, I'll have 5000 disabled crew members for that whole hour.

Currently, ship crew doesn't do much of anything at all. If you look up some of the original STO game design documents, I'm sure you'll find out what they originally intended for crew to do, but never implemented.
  • captainmikeccaptainmikec Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Crew is something I stopped paying attention to a while ago.

Here's why:

1) Noticeable effects of crew are minimal.
    2) They die too easy (seriously, they are dead all of the time, half your crew will be vaporized within the first 30s of an STF or other combat scenarios).
    3) No ship has enough console slots to dedicate slots to important things like Armor Consoles or Field Gens (large impacts on performance) and also have slots left over for things like Biofunction Monitors or Emergency Forcefields.

On a side note #3 is something that leads me to feel that we need to see combined function consoles across the board for Eng & Sci in particular. Tac is fine with specialized consoles (although it does force everyone into single energy types for best performance).

same, i stopped caring about them a long time ago, it seems the crew are made out of cardboard
    i used to use bio consoles but the ships just dont have enough console slots and i need other consoles a lot more.

and I LOVE the idea of special multi stat consoles, just like the multi stat ship and team items, they would be a great addition
    even better would be some kind of console combination system, maybe in the crafting system or something
    Console A + Console B + some extra crafting mats = hybrid console with both stats

crossing console types would be a bit much, so maybe limit it to consoles of the same class... ie science+science / tac+tac and eng+eng
    so that people cant put for example a cannon dmg stat on every console on the ship hehe
    "Tickle us, do we not laugh? Prick us, do we not bleed? Wrong us, shall we not revenge?"
    -General Chang
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Emergency holograms take over during the fighting. Once the battle is over, casualties are replaced via transporters making a new body using the last active pattern. Then ship counselors help them deal with the "missing time" in their memory.
  • nyarlathotep75nyarlathotep75 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Emergency holograms take over during the fighting. Once the battle is over, casualties are replaced via transporters making a new body using the last active pattern. Then ship counselors help them deal with the "missing time" in their memory.

Actually... I believe they are grown in a ships nursery. If you recall there was an Episode, I think it was a Voyager episode? Where an away team discovered a Borg Nursery, where the Borg where clearly "growing" new Borg Drones from infancy.

Well, Janeway brought knowledge of that technology back to the Alpha Quadrant with her and now they have EMH Chief Medic's who oversee ship nurseries where they constantly grow Red Shirt crew members at an accelerated rate, much like how the Kaminoans grew the Clones in Star Wars!

Since these Red Shirts are grown like this, they also have some limited Borg technology implanted inside themselves that allows them ALL to instantly recover from serious injuries within only mere seconds, so your ship is quickly restored to full crew capacity the moment combat ceases. any who were dead, are simply dumped into the ships recycling system where their genetic materials are used to regrow their Red Shirt replacements!

Anyway on a more serious note, after reading this thread I am rather pleased to know that I can finally do away with my Biofunction Console and have the console slot available for something much more useful! I think I'll be saving up some dilithium to grab another Field Generator! :D
  • cmdrskyfallercmdrskyfaller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    After flying Vo'Quv carriers on three different KDF characters, it's pretty universal to see all 5000 crew disabled by the time I destroy the first couple of enemy ships, and if I'm spending the hour doing the Mirror Universe event, I'll have 5000 disabled crew members for that whole hour.

Currently, ship crew doesn't do much of anything at all. If you look up some of the original STO game design documents, I'm sure you'll find out what they originally intended for crew to do, but never implemented.

actually they do ..do something. voquv hull repair is massive when crew is alive. 10 torp hits to the shield later though they're all dead.