test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Here's the thing that offsets my interest in gaining new ships;

momawmomaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
So, new lockbox and new ships. They come hand in hand. Representing rather steep investments in resources to acquire, unique and powerful, there's just one small problem.

Bound. To. Character.

Much of the most "expensive" content is tied to single characters, which forces people who want to participate to choose only one character to participate with. I like the looks of the new dreadnaught carrier, but the question.... What character should get it? I have 3 characters I play heavily so that's 2 chances to regret my decision. Plus, what if I ever wanted to add more characters?

Lockbox ships and lobi ships are far far more expensive than any Z-store ship, and yet, you functionally get a lot less for your money. Z-store ships can be used by any character you have without restriction. You can discard them, bring them back, it doesn't matter. Once you buy the ship it's yours. Lockbox ships? Forget it. You spend more, to get a ship that can only be used by a single character, and can never be retrieved if discarded. Why? Surely lockbox type ships should be cheaper, since you are effectively buying one single copy of one single ship, while buying things from Z-store comes with a service agreement of sorts.

I don't get it.

It's frustrating and depressing and tempers my enthusiasm for gaining new ships.

And I'm not alone in this either. My fleet leader has boxed ships that he's had for months, paralyzed by indecision about which of his characters the ships should be irrevocably bound to.

All of this goes for fleet ships, as well. Fleet ships cost more than Z-store ships once you account for the oceans of material that goes into upgrading your shipyard, and yet they are also bound to a single character and cannot be retrieved.

I thought at first that the character bound ships was to limit the proliferation of ships that don't actually belong to the Federation or the KDF, a line of reasoning often put forward, but this immediately fails when you consider that fleet ships which are by definition "faction correct" are also penalized in the same way.

One might be tempted to think that this is a crass and transparent attempt by Cryptic to squeeze more cash out of the players. Character-bound ships across multiple characters requires multiple purchases. But that also breaks down when you consider that recent Z-store offerings like the Vesta offer the same very high level of performance that the lockbox and fleet ships do. You don't NEED a lockbox or fleet ship as opposed to Z-store ships that do their jobs perfectly well, nor is there even a strong drive to WANT one, from a performance standpoint. So it's a master of taste and style, and not necessarily "pay to win". It's just.... pay to pay?

I just don't get it. I don't understand Cryptic's strategy. All I can see is my options being limited by insanely high resource costs for no apparent reason. I wish we could have a nice civil conversation about this with people that matter.
Post edited by momaw on

Comments

• Options
    foxfire2000foxfire2000 Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I dont understand people not yet getting Cyptics/PW game plan....they have been doing it from the very first day the game went F2P.........max profit, min effort....i mean there comes a time when even the most enthusiastic lockbox fan must notice this....but its not as if they hide their release schedule.

Lockbox, lockbox,lockbox,lockbox,lockbox,Lockbox,lockbox,lockbox,lockbox,lockbox,grind update,Lockbox, lockbox,lockbox,lockbox,lockbox,Lockbox,lockbox,lockbox,lockbox,lockbox. lol

And if the majority of the present STO player base are happy buying the keys and PW/Cryptic are making tons of cash from them, then why should they alter that course, or not refine the lockbox thing to get even more profit from willing buyers.......and i doubt that will change now at this stage......the game will simply continue along on lockboxes now until the player base gets so low that lockbox sales no longer make a profit for PW.......then the dead horse will stop twitching at last.
  • Options
    duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    i tend to have an exclusive ship for every toon.

there is only one setup i really like to play in PVP/PVE - so i have 2 toons with almost identical setups.. (for the 8k daily dill on both through PVP)

FEDS:
    sci - wells (love the ship)
    tac - defiant
    engi - constitution enterprise (iconic)

KDF
    engi - d'kora (imho the best lockbox ship)
    2xsci in b'Rel (the best ship ingame)
    sci - Kar'fi
    sci - Jem'Hadar Dreadnough Carrier
    sci - Tholian Orb Weaver (slightly better than wells)
    tac - Scourge
    tac - Fleet Somraw Raptor (a very nice fleet ship)
    tac - Breen Ship (didn't really test this one)

and i am ok with that :D looking forward having another 5 Romulan ships on my Romulan toons when they finally release the faction ...
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Overally I agree. I could accept a restriction such as "you can claim it on one character at a time on your account" but the current limit is annoying. We can't even discharge it to reclaim it later, which is a shame!

I'm not sure about fleet ships. They are some sort of fleet achievements. But anyway, why not.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I understand the lockbox ships being single character, and I can see that with the 200k dilithium fleet ships. But in both cases, it makes sense for them to be an unlock, which you can dismiss and reclaim at will.

The fleet ships that cost 4x modules and thus $20 should be treated exactly like zen bought ships, because they functionally are.
  • Options
    sekritagentsekritagent Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    momaw wrote: »
    So, new lockbox and new ships. They come hand in hand. Representing rather steep investments in resources to acquire, unique and powerful, there's just one small problem.

Bound. To. Character.
    I dont understand people not yet getting Cyptics/PW game plan....they have been doing it from the very first day the game went F2P.........max profit, min effort....i mean there comes a time when even the most enthusiastic lockbox fan must notice this....but its not as if they hide their release schedule.

Lockbox, lockbox,lockbox,lockbox,lockbox,Lockbox,lockbox,lockbox,lockbox,lockbox,grind update,Lockbox, lockbox,lockbox,lockbox,lockbox,Lockbox,lockbox,lockbox,lockbox,lockbox. lol

And if the majority of the present STO player base are happy buying the keys and PW/Cryptic are making tons of cash from them, then why should they alter that course, or not refine the lockbox thing to get even more profit from willing buyers.......and i doubt that will change now at this stage......the game will simply continue along on lockboxes now until the player base gets so low that lockbox sales no longer make a profit for PW.......then the dead horse will stop twitching at last.

All quoted for truth. I'm not putting another RL dollar into this scam.

Despite the fact that it supports the game, it's both funny and sad that so many people still put hundreds of dollars into lockboxes after being burned so many times.
    Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it! No, seriously! ...Why are you laughing so hard? :(
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I agree. It's the same with the costumes. I seriously doubt people buy for more than one character anyway. :(
  • Options
    lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm not putting another RL dollar into this scam.

Technically, it's not a scam, as you know precisly what you are getting into. It's just that people constantly feeding into it isn't going to break the cycle of lockboxes substituting for content updates (although I am guilty of opening boxes for lobi at irregular intervals and selling unwanted stuff).

In regards to darn near everything being bound to character, I've always suspected that Cryptic is counting on those OCD people that must have everything on every one of their toons.

When it comes to one time only stuff like the Breen cruiser, I can't really understand that being bound to character. As it stands I have three extra of those things (I had nothing else better to do but run the race, 5 minutes isn't that much) in the hope that one day the devs will make them account bound, or (to really make my day) letting me put them on the exchange, as I can only see me keeping one of them.

Another one of those wierd design decisions; they should change the title to Restrictions: Online given the amount of stop signs you run into.. I would love to dump my extra dilithium into my one toon that has reached Omega Tier 5 and have him craft for the rest of my toons (you know, like an any other MMO known to man), but again, bound to character.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    +1

I'm like your fleet leader in that I have all the lockbox ships (except the JHAS) still in their original packaging as a collection, but I just can't bring myself to open, bind, and use them. I'd really like to take a shot with a Recluse on a fed engineer, but I just can't justify dropping 80 million ec on one character. If it were account-wide sure, but one toon, just makes me nervous.

As for fleet ships, I'm mixed. I completely splurged on a KDF tac with a Fleet Vorcha with fleet weapons, and it is an absolute monster, but doing that on my other 6 toons just isn't in the cards. Ships where a discount is possible though changes the equation, because then I get the base ship available for everyone, plus the fancy fleet one for only 5 million more. Since everyone gets something out of the buy and its 'only' 5m for the upgrade, its okay. (Unfortunately that completely screws my KDF toons, but thats off-topic.)

If this stuff was account unlock I'd have to buy more ship storage slots. But high-priced single unlocks just feels too much like a full-on ripoff instead of merely self-indulgence.
  • Options
    sekritagentsekritagent Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Surely if you've gone to the expense to collect all the lockbox ships, you've already gone well past the "good value" exit and leaving them boxed in a bank somewhere is just not a good use of funds. Smart money would be on making a Vorta toon, attaching him to Starfleet (say he's in a trial Officer Exchange program) and equipping the Jem'Hadar stuff. Another interesting one might be making a time traveler toon making use of the timeships.

Anyway I completely agree about the fleet ships (but I likely won't buy Fleet Weapons, I got loads of Borg Mk XII items before the S7 conversion). I would buy a few more of those if they weren't such pricey per-character unlocks.
    Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it! No, seriously! ...Why are you laughing so hard? :(
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Surely if you've gone to the expense to collect all the lockbox ships, you've already gone well past the "good value" exit and leaving them boxed in a bank somewhere is just not a good use of funds. Smart money would be on making a Vorta toon, attaching him to Starfleet (say he's in a trial Officer Exchange program) and equipping the Jem'Hadar stuff. Another interesting one might be making a time traveler toon making use of the timeships.

Well I never said I was sensible, more like OCD. That said, still in the box if I ever settle on a character I can transfer them, or if I get bored resell them. Once unpacked though, that ship is bound to that character forever, and that is a large and expensive commitment for something so absolutely permanent, the point I was trying to make. Not that I'm sensible (far from it), but that once done its done, and I can never delete and reroll or change my mind and put it on a different character or anything like that ever again. If they were 80 million but account-bound, say I still only get one Recluse but I can trade around who's using it at the time, then it would be a different story.

PS
    Not to sound like I'm whining or anything, more like 'wouldn't it be cool if things weren't quite so permanent for such an expensive investment?'
  • Options
    cyresofbsgocyresofbsgo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I have 8 KDF toons.

I bought 1 2K zen B'rel

2,000/8=250 zen per toon

I DOUBT, that I would get a lockbox ship, with 2.5 masterkeys on average, that's not even considering the B'Rel can be disbanded and reclaimed.

needless to say.... I don't do lockboxes for ships.

what I would like to see s a lobi for Dill, or lob for Zen, if I could buy lobi with Zen and NOT have to frak with the lockboxes at all, I would do that.

but *shrugs* that would simply turn lobi store into a Zen store, might as wel offer all lobi store stuff in zen store,

till boxes drop more lobi I'm not going to open any with keys I bought from Zen store, 4 lobi + some useless feldercarb for 100 zen is NOT enough lobi.

not opening 200 boxes for enough lobi to get a lobi ship that requires a lockbox ship from a lockbox that doesn't even drop to work proplerly. simply NOT HAPPENING!!! (not even if it's with my 500 a month Zen.. that BTW would take a year to add up to enough Zen to buy 200 keys.
  • Options
    cipheriumcipherium Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Bound. To. Character.

More general binding would be better, and make you feel more like you own what you've paid for, I agree.
  • Options
    darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited January 2013
    That is why I only play one character now. I have deleted most of my alts because of bound to character...
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Basically, I've learned the hard way that I don't open lockboxes just for a ship.

I open a lockbox because it provides certain rewards (like DOFFs) as cheap or cheaper than I can obtain them in other ways, and because there is potential for something much more valuable.

If I don't like a certain type of lockbox as a whole, I'm less enthusiastic about opening it. I could care less about the ships in the Dominion lockbox, but some of the other rewards are a bit more tempting.

Right now I'm saving up Zen for a Vesta bundle and not likely to buy anything else until I get it. The only lockbox ships I really want are the Wells and the D'Kora, but I can sit on the lockboxes in my cargo bay indefinitely and Master Keys are generally better used to generate EC on the Exchange.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    actually the lock box ships arent bound to character. I opened a box with my eng and got the Dom HEC. I gave it to my tac.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    macerukmaceruk Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I don't like the lock boxes but its like all the new ships are going in to boxes.

I have just come back after a 6 month break and everything has changed, not sure i like it yet.
    The last ship i bought on the C-store was the multivector and its like they haven't put anything better in the store.

I like to get new ships but i don't agree with the lockboxes its just gambling nothing more and not for me.

And they have changed the way you collect stuff to get weapons so now its going to take ages to get anything, as i used to like logging in playing a few STFs and messing with my weapons but i can no longer do that which kinda writes the game off for me shame as i like the space combat again! much preferred the old way and random drops.
  • Options
    alexhurlbutalexhurlbut Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    khan5000 wrote: »
    actually the lock box ships arent bound to character. I opened a box with my eng and got the Dom HEC. I gave it to my tac.
    You've missed the point. The point was that once you open the *PACK* the ship is in, it's BOUND to the character only and you cannot reclaim it if you discharge it from your character's ship slots. C/Z-Store ships are account wide and can be reclaimed any time you discharge them.

Once you open the ship pack, it's bound to the toon forever. So you're screwed down in the road if you changed your mind about having the ship on *that* toon.
  • Options
    dktokyodktokyo Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Similar to this, if I'm leveling up a toon that's level 30~40ish, and have a crapton of boxes (over 40 atm) and want to give them any rewards...

Do I have to open the boxes on another fully leveled toon? is there a disadvantage to opening the boxes when you're not level 50?
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Basically, I've learned the hard way that I don't open lockboxes just for a ship.

I open a lockbox because it provides certain rewards (like DOFFs) as cheap or cheaper than I can obtain them in other ways, and because there is potential for something much more valuable.

If I don't like a certain type of lockbox as a whole, I'm less enthusiastic about opening it. I could care less about the ships in the Dominion lockbox, but some of the other rewards are a bit more tempting.

Right now I'm saving up Zen for a Vesta bundle and not likely to buy anything else until I get it. The only lockbox ships I really want are the Wells and the D'Kora, but I can sit on the lockboxes in my cargo bay indefinitely and Master Keys are generally better used to generate EC on the Exchange.

Bolded for great truth and justice.

Seriously, i've come to the conclusion that buying Keys with Dilith and then selling them is a much more viable method of obtaining lockbox or Lobi ships. For example, take the new Jem'Hadar Dreadnought. It costs 800 lobi crystals, right? So at a minimum of four Lobi per box, you need a minimum of 200 keys.

However, at this point they're now around 80 million EC - pretty much par for the course for the other Lobi ships. If you can sell them at 1.5 million EC, you only need approximately 53.33 reccurring keys.

So if all you want is that ship, dump those boxes and buy one off the Ex.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    valoreah wrote: »
    I do. Spend money on keys, open lockboxes, get ship for character. Spend more money on keys, open more lockboxes, get ship for next character. Rinse and repeat. It's all about the money.

I open lockboxes to get Lobi and to get stuff to sell. I plan on using either the Lobi or the EC to buy the ship I want. If I happen to randomly get the ship along the way, then cool; I got it quicker. I do not expect to ever get the ship from the boxes.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    dktokyodktokyo Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Anybody? do the lockbox 'rewards' scale with level?
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    dktokyo wrote: »
    Anybody? do the lockbox 'rewards' scale with level?

Not exactly.

If you open a box of equipment -- say for example a deflector/shield box -- the item you get will match the Mark level you should get for your character's level. Generally why you should wait until max level to open these if you can.

Mark level gear does not scale with level and remains the same as when you opened it.

Some of the rewards, like DOFFs and special consoles, are "levelless". Technically they don't scale either, but they remain effective no matter what level you are.

Lockbox ships are generally VA-level ships, meaning you have to be a Vice Admiral to claim one. They don't scale, but they don't need to.

It's possible that a lockbox might contain auto-scaling gear (that would ordinarily be Mk-something), but I don't recall them ever doing that in any lockbox so far.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »

Lockbox ships are generally VA-level ships, meaning you have to be a Vice Admiral to claim one. They don't scale, but they don't need to.

Yet. If Cryptic are serious about raising the level cap, are these ships going to remain VA ships or will we get new, Fleet Admiral/Dahar Master (or w/e) versions of the lockbox ships that we'll then have to open lockboxes to get a top-tier version of a ship we already own?

Remember, this is Cryptic we're talking about here.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    valoreah wrote: »
    Sounds like you already answered your own question. ;)

Well yeah. I was hoping to float that idea right now to get people thinking about it before that oh-so-inevitable announcement is made.
  • Options
    momawmomaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Like I said, I'm not really sure that it is just all about the money, since the last Z-store offerings are pretty amazing and do not punish players for buying them.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Like I said, I'm not really sure that it is just all about the money, since the last Z-store offerings are pretty amazing and do not punish players for buying them.

Why do you think I buy them? :P
  • Options
    sudoku7sudoku7 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    johngazman wrote: »
    Yet. If Cryptic are serious about raising the level cap, are these ships going to remain VA ships or will we get new, Fleet Admiral/Dahar Master (or w/e) versions of the lockbox ships that we'll then have to open lockboxes to get a top-tier version of a ship we already own?

Remember, this is Cryptic we're talking about here.

Well, did we have to buy lockboxes to get an 10-console version of the JHAS?

Although, honestly, I suspect that the 10-console ships are going to be the ships we get to use Fleet Admiral/etc. In part because of the lockbox ships, and what happened with the JHAS.
  • Options
    talos85talos85 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I've just returned to the game after a long time, I left just after they added the Klingon faction, so I was wondering what are the major things I've missed?

It won't let me post a new thread, so I thought I'd piggy back this one if it's ok?