test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Scheduled Maintenance (January 28, 2013)

Comments

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Wow...

9PM on a Sunday night...

You gettin' paid over-time for this BranFlakes???

If not you're getting 'a cylindrical metal rod with a helix inscribed channel spiraling around it.'
    :P
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    daveyny wrote: »

If not you're getting 'a cylindrical metal rod with a helix inscribed channel spiraling around it.'
    :P

There's something quite screwy about that description... Hm :confused:

I can't believe my HILARIOUS PATCH NOTE PARODY has been upstaged by the real thing! Darn it. :D
  • Options
    origcaptainquackorigcaptainquack Member Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    seriously, your only fixing the jem ships? what about fire at will and all the other bugs? your update notes stink.
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Nerfing all the grinders would be hilariously wrong and awful.

Your mission has a bunch of grammar errors, and the story is horrible. But I had to press F 700 times.

Great mission. That one can stay. The ones that actually copy all our own space missions in the space clusters are out. Horrible.

Doesn't seem very likely to me.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Ummm.....so only the Jem set buffs? What about the cost reductions?
  • Options
    littlemonchichilittlemonchichi Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    they never (!) reacted at critic fast like that!
    can't remember!!
    this is a really really good sign!!!!!

calm down dudes, they are supporting people they already bought the jem hadar XII set cause everyone is disapointed.
    come time, come patch ;)

don't get everything negativ!
    "Be excellent to each other and Party on Dudes!"
  • Options
    tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    themarie wrote: »
    There's something quite screwy about that description... Hm :confused:

I can't believe my HILARIOUS PATCH NOTE PARODY has been upstaged by the real thing! Darn it. :D

You know what they say, " Great minds think alike...Fools never differ :D "

You do realise that everytime the games patched,thousands of the great unwashed will be visiting the thread ready to read the latest fubar you've concocted. ;)
  • Options
    richarddoverricharddover Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I don't suppose there's any chance on a fix for BOffs getting stuck on everything and their shadows in Foundry missions? Because it's a pain in the rear to enter en enemy-filled room when you have to guide each individual BOff through the door using waypoints.
  • Options
    theultimatefunkytheultimatefunky Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    looks like my sci is going to be using the jemmy set at last since I got it 1st time round XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    scarabpoetscarabpoet Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    "Sorry ma'am. Horta ate your baby. He didn't realize it was sentient... but if it's any consolation he says it was delicious."

this is just awesome...
  • Options
    adorkabledoriadorkabledori Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    No mentioning of making the Advanced Jem'Hadar Attack Ship available for each that has only a Jem'Hadar Dreadnought, instead of owning both the Dread and Attack Ship. Coz IMHO, and I am not alone in this matter, Cryptic has crossed the line here, in being acting normal. :mad:
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    themarie wrote: »
    Its not hard, I've worked in technical positions all my life, and I've got the gift they call "lightening wit." One hilarious flash and I've ruined everything... That's why they won't let me work directly with the customers anymore. :D

Snap thats what I do lol
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited January 2013
    So, when are the Maco, Omega and Honor Guard sets getting their buffs?
  • Options
    heresincebetaheresincebeta Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Standing by for the borg mk xii deflector to provide double the aux bonus that the mk xi does...

Oh wait I guess only stats that are buffed by the lobi store get balance passes... *sigh*
  • Options
    drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Whatever, the Jem'hadar is still inferior to the endgame sets.
  • Options
    theboilermantheboilerman Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Whatever, the Jem'hadar is still inferior to the endgame sets.

As well it should be. Can you imagine the backlash if they made it as good or better than endgame equipment?

Personally, I use the Jem set and I'm glad to see it get buffed somewhat.
  • Options
    fenash3030fenash3030 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well it looks like they started on maintenance at 7am CST not PST. So, if this is the case will i be able to play at 9 CST? or will it actually last until 9PST which is 11 CST?
    really starting 2 hours early?
  • Options
    legoorlegoor Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    fenash3030 wrote: »
    Well it looks like they started on maintenance at 7am CST not PST. So, if this is the case will i be able to play at 9 CST? or will it actually last until 9PST which is 11 CST?
    really starting 2 hours early?

Yepper 2 hours early but I guess its a good thing ;)
  • Options
    badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The buffs stated in the patch notes seem...inadequate. Borticus planned much more, but I am concerned that the PvPers complained again and made him pull back somewhat...
  • Options
    vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    No word on giving those unlucky enough to buy the upgrade in the first 24hrs their 50 lobi back then. Altering the stats is one thing but to then alter the normal 'retail' price is a big no no.
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Standing by for the borg mk xii deflector to provide double the aux bonus that the mk xi does...

Oh wait I guess only stats that are buffed by the lobi store get balance passes... *sigh*

If this proves popular enough, expect premium upgrades for the other end-game gear.

Cash talks, and it's the only thing that Cryptic seriously listens to. People buy enough of these upgrades for this set, they'll do the other ones.

I'm not too thrilled with pay-unlock-pay-upgrades but we're in a better position now than we were during the Great Content Drought.

Things that DO NOT generate revenue like the plot missions are bottom priority. Those don't make money, they cost money. Therefore fixing critical-to-function bugs is not a priority until people stop leveling up and endgame revenue drops.
  • Options
    lirdeklirdek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    For a further patch note :

**Tell the guy who post the maintenance banner on website to have a look on world clocks first since he's most often wrong, and miss it always by 1 or 2 hours. :D
  • Options
    lordlalolordlalo Member Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hi Captains,

We will be bringing down Star Trek Online tomorrow, Monday, January 28th, at 7AM PST (click here to view in your timezone) for maintenance and to apply a new patch. Patch notes can be found here, and we expect this maintenance to only last for 2 hours. The test server may also be unavailable during this time.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

- The Star Trek Online Team

Firstly: Why must the servers be brought down for 2 hours for a simple upgrade to the stats of one set? Why can't these updates be compiled and aggregated into one large patch say once per week instead of every other day?

Secondly: Why are we notified only 24 hours ahead of time? What if your bosses told you you will come into work on Saturday morning Friday evening -- would you perceive this as courtesy or disrespect?
    Said NO to Arc. Gets punished by not being given a free outfit, free lobi, and free shuttle. Now forced to use Arc's site when trying to get to STO site. Still not rewards for beta testing the Arc website by force. Bravo Cryptic.
  • Options
    lordlalolordlalo Member Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Servers are normally patched every Thursday. Occasionally circumstances dictate having an exceptional patch, this is one such circumstance as paying customers are not happy. It may also be there is no mechanism to refund lobi in place so by patching now a damage limitation excercise is underway. As for the time it takes, personally I don't know why it takes 2 hrs but I suspect taking down a server farm is a bit more complex than restarting your laptop?

I've worked in server farms before. They utilize start scripts but the part that takes the most time is verifying the integrity of the database which only takes 10mins on a 20GB database.

That is beside the point, and I see what you are saying -- this is an "emergency" patch. As such I would believe to minimize the inflamed customers storming off they should at least offer to include what they have tested so far of Thursday's patch into this one and not patch again until the next Thursday.

I can understand a weekly patch -- I actually appreciate it. But I don't appreciate making plans in game to have it squashed by a patch that no one knew about until the day before -- especially to (as the patch notes said) to simply upgrade the stats on a single ship equipment set. It just seems a bit ridiculous to take the server down for 2 hours to do that....

In my time working in data centers (or server farms) when you take down a farm like they're doing, you push as much tested patch material as possible that QA will allow for because of the overhead for each patch (taking down the system, patching the clients and pushing that update, bringing up the system, testing the system, etc). Again reserving a patch for one fix/stat-update just isn't efficient use of patch time.
    Said NO to Arc. Gets punished by not being given a free outfit, free lobi, and free shuttle. Now forced to use Arc's site when trying to get to STO site. Still not rewards for beta testing the Arc website by force. Bravo Cryptic.
  • Options
    snakeswar2snakeswar2 Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    my suspicions for this patch is they are doing it because they want people to put the jem set on the ambassador class ship when it comes out
This discussion has been closed.