test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Will you Stop doing Romulan Content after Rep is Finished?

Comments

• Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I look at all the Romulan content as a HUGE waste of time vs STF - as soon as I am done I won't be going anywhere near that area.

Big fails in my mind

Missions give too low marks and no dilthium:

Take Azura rescue - max 18 marks for same time as infected and no dilthium - Infected I have gotten as high as 130 marks one time + 960 dilth + some purple gear.

It is a PAIN in the behind to go over to the sector + why go to new Romulus to chase bunnies for like 5 days then back for another 5 days doffing just to get the 400 marks - lame!

There is no transwarp there - there is a "Romulan" sub-heading at Tier 3 transwarp fleet hub - but no Tau sector - but a shuttle at tier 2 Embassy - Lame - let me transwarp from the main hub.

Sector patrol does the best marks but it is 1 time per day and boring as hell.

You are lucky to get a Red alert 1 time per hour - mostly sitting around waiting and 1/10 times you show up and nothing.

What the heck is the point when the rep system is done?

If I played just to grind Dilithium, maybe; buit I play to relax and sometimes I need a change of scenery - and STFs for me have started to get real old. In fact, their probably what I'll do less of myself once I gotten all the Omega space and ground gear I feel I need for a character.

[FYI - for a quick Fleet Starbase Transwarp to Tau Dewa; I just use the T1 Fed Transwarp to the Gateway system - which puts me less gthan 2 seconds away from the Tau Dewa sector block :) - That said, a direct TW to the sector itself would be nice too.]
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    vinru821vinru821 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Ha, I stopped at T4!

I don't feel like purchasing expensive XII ultra mega rare equipment for no good reason. and boo to the T5 ability, who needs it.
    :eek:
  • Options
    curs0rcurs0r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I pop into tau dewa to do the patrol daily which consists of me afk-ing in narendra 5 times, then I'm out. That is to say, that's what I do on the days that I bother to advance romulan rep. I don't want the gear, I don't need the passives, I don't intentionally bore myself for fun, this makes the rest of tau dewa totally meaningless to me.
    I'll sell you some weapons from New Romulus. Never fired, only dropped once.
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,813 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I look at all the Romulan content as a HUGE waste of time vs STF - as soon as I am done I won't be going anywhere near that area.

Big fails in my mind

Take Azura rescue - max 18 marks for same time as infected and no dilthium - Infected I have gotten as high as 130 marks one time + 960 dilth + some purple gear.

It is a PAIN in the behind to go over to the sector + why go to new Romulus to chase bunnies for like 5 days then back for another 5 days doffing just to get the 400 marks - lame!

There is no transwarp there - there is a "Romulan" sub-heading at Tier 3 transwarp fleet hub - but no Tau sector - but a shuttle at tier 2 Embassy - Lame - let me transwarp from the main hub.

You are lucky to get a Red alert 1 time per hour - mostly sitting around waiting and 1/10 times you show up and nothing.

Short answer for me....YES
    Way too much grinding and looking forward to a long vacation at RISA :cool:
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    There are three types of content I do:
    New and interesting story/visuals
    Do stuff for rewards I want
    Engaging dynamics/gameplay

In the first case, it's worth doing everything on New Romulus -- once, maybe twice.
    In the second case, well, depends on an evaluation of cost/benefit. Personally, I mainly do the Tau Dewa patrols -- I get some loot, it's easy, and 60 marks a day is good enough to move along. Getting to T5 in Romulus gives a big whack of dil, so there's that.
    In the third case, there's not much there on New Romulus.

Now, as for the game overall, most of this applies to everything in STO. I don't replay Episodes/story stuff much unless I REALLY want the rewards (which aren't often worth it -- I still don't have my horta on my KDF main). This is a big reason I like Foundry -- lots of fresh content.

Rewards I want... well, dilithium is cornerstone, and thankfully works with Foundry. After that, it's usually Omega rep because so much endgame gear is Omega.
    As for engaging dynamics or gameplay, that might apply to some STFs and pvp, though unfortunately both have problems.

In short, I'll do Rom content at a leisurely pace until I have what I want, which will probably be shortly after hitting T5. But that isn't unique to Rom content.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I do wish the grind requirements would be lowered.

I did get to T5 Romulan Rep, but I'm still doing the daily's because I do find the new Romulan equipment to be quite good:

-Zero Point Energy Conduit - MUST HAVE console like the Borg Universal Assimilated Module
    -Romulan Hyper-Plasma Torpedo Launcher - one of the best PVE torps in the game
    -Romulan Experimental Beam Array - No firing energy drain, disruptor + plasma fire proc, +6 crit chance, and hyperflux firing mode

All of these set items are good individually. Having any 2 of them boosts plasma weapon damage.

I don't care for either space set, but the Romulan Harness set is worth while at 500 romulan marks + 15k dilithium per piece.
  • Options
    broadnaxbroadnax Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    They don't do that several times a year, and they charge for content. PWE could devote manpower to that too, if they charged for content. However, it's still a curve; the average player won't finish quest 400 the week they release the next content pack, he'll finish it long before. A lot of those quests aren't storyline, either; they're just "tag five" with some text and a might-as-well-have-been-random quest giver and location. STO could do that too; it would involve sending you to the same map for a dozen different missions that all had the exact same gameplay. It's in fact exactly what the Exploration missions are.

If you want to pay money for 400 new Exploration missions, I'm sure PWE could arrange that. I'm glad they don't.

They have full-fledged story missions, not just "exploration" missions. There are a variety of missions types of differing depths, which is fine. They range from Epic (indepth) storyline to mid-range story to light story (e.g., exploration, but more along the lines of New Romulus than random exploration missions). This is what I would like to see from STO as well. STO has this variety, just a much smaller set than other games.

Also, LOTRO has one expansion in a year, but multiple free content updates throughout the year. One free update included a total revamp of Evendim that included 140+ new quests and quite a few revamped quests, again with varying degree of storyline depth. One content dev handled the revamp while the others handled the overall update.

The point I was making is that other games -- whether via free updates or expansions -- offer new storyline content more regularly than STO. What STO has is good, it just needs more of it. :)
  • Options
    sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    As long as there is an accolade left for me to obtain, i'll go back. I won't be grinding for marks, unless there is something for me to sink them into, as it is now, i do not care for the romulan rep unlocks. -Unless there should appear a romulan bird of prey in a lockbox. Then i would have to outfit it, ofc. :D
    /Floozy
  • Options
    erraberrab Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Big fails in my mind

I can't wait to finish off both rep systems for my KDF main, I should be done with it by next Thursday.

I might head back to the zone from time to time because we have to assume that Cryptic will be making additions to the rep system at some point.

The only real fear to have if you decided to continue grinding out Romulan Marks after you hit max level in the Rep system is that Cryptic will deem that the player base has to many excess Romulan Marks and introduce a new type of Mark that our old Marks will be converted to 80 = 10 conversion rate
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    born2bwild1born2bwild1 Member Posts: 1,329 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    errab wrote: »
    I can't wait to finish off both rep systems for my KDF main, I should be done with it by next Thursday.

I might head back to the zone from time to time because we have to assume that Cryptic will be making additions to the rep system at some point.

The only real fear to have if you decided to continue grinding out Romulan Marks after you hit max level in the Rep system is that Cryptic will deem that the player base has to many excess Romulan Marks and introduce a new type of Mark that our old Marks will be converted to 80 = 10 conversion rate

Why can't they make it so that the KDF gets 1 mark for every epohh you kill with a Bat'Leth? Kind of like a tribble extrimination?
  • Options
    lolimpicardlolimpicard Member Posts: 309
    edited January 2013
    Why can't they make it so that the KDF gets 1 mark for every epohh you kill with a Bat'Leth? Kind of like a tribble extrimination?

Because the Romulans, whose favor is represented by the marks, do not look kindly upon such acts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    He's dead, Jim.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Actually it is due to the fact the Epohhs are a necessary part of New Romulus technology. They are used as food, construction, planetary defense, and have other uses. Slicing epohhs with a Bat'Leth would not provide the Romulans with any usable parts. Raising epohhs alive and humanely disposing of them gives far more parts for the Romulans to use.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Because the Romulans, whose favor is represented by the marks, do not look kindly upon such acts.

I'm sorry but most real Klingon warriors would not be running around tagging romulan bunnies!
  • Options
    john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I also stopped playing once i found out about the winter epohhs, and am now at tier 5 so have no reason to bother with the romulan content. I found new romulus mission to be boring, maybe good for people new to the game that haven't gotten into stfs yet.

The PvE content isn't bad in itself, Azura Rescue and Vault Ensnared are both enjoyable to run, if somewhat easy at times. The problem with them is the rewards, they give very little marks, no dilithium, and no items other than random kill drops. Minetrap is fun if you have a good team, but good luck getting 20 people together that know what they are doing. Minetrap should have been scaled down to 1 sector and a 5 man team, would be allot more fun that way as its easy to get a 5 man team together. Atleast Minetrap does give decent rewards, 50-65 marks in the rep hour.

I maxed out both rep systems a few weeks ago, i still run stfs daily because i enjoy them and they give good rewards, haven't touched romulan content in nearly a month.
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The content was a means to an end. Roll on Season 8. Its that simple.
  • Options
    lolimpicardlolimpicard Member Posts: 309
    edited January 2013
    nynik wrote: »
    The content was a means to an end.

The ends were using up time (aka keeping people busy at any cost). So, per definition, the content was a waste of time.

This is canon (and not new, yes).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    He's dead, Jim.
  • Options
    darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited January 2013
    The ends were using up time (aka keeping people busy at any cost). So, per definition, the content was a waste of time.

That is signature quote worthy! :D
  • Options
    corbinwolf#9797 corbinwolf Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm sorry but most real Klingon warriors would not be running around tagging romulan bunnies!

Most real anybody would have better things to do with their time, let alone a warrior race or FED Vice Admirals no less. This is a job for science ens...or someone who feels nostalgia for pokemon like creatures.

I stopped the Rom rep system half way through Tier III. I will probably complete it once I finish Omega Rep system if only for the passives. The Rep system weapons have been repeatedly criticized, particularly for PVP. So why bother? If anything, I may go for two out of the three Remen set only because of the visual effects of the shields in particular.

Compared to the majority of the content on STO the Rom stuff has felt rather infantile at times and I cant help but wonder if that is the point: attract a younger audience/generation. I know my seven year old enjoys the little bunnie like things....although I had no idea that they were being used for food amongst many things?!? Replicators broke or something?!!
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'll play mine trap occasionally, since i'm still enjoying it. I won't miss Azure nebula and the vault ensnared though, these are very easy boring combat mission with very little combat and a lot of travelling/waiting. It's not a good mix.

I'll still try to do the tholian red alert since many pugs tend to fail it because of a general lack of knowledge on ship builds. It's a good challenge! :D
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    I'll play mine trap occasionally, since i'm still enjoying it. I won't miss Azure nebula and the vault ensnared though, these are very easy boring combat mission with very little combat and a lot of travelling/waiting. It's not a good mix.

I'll still try to do the tholian red alert since many pugs tend to fail it because of a general lack of knowledge on ship builds. It's a good challenge! :D

They must have uped the power in todays patch(stealth increase) - today in 1 event my Sci tank with 50k hull - 18k shields - super sci tank as much as you can make it

GOT 1 SHOT taken out!!! 2 times - both with FULL shield and FULL hull

That has never happened before.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Meh. I'm to T3 and I haven't even visited New Romulus yet. There is a considerable amount of stuff to do in S7. It's not the Devs fault people try to burn through it as fast as they possibly can. :rolleyes:

They must have uped the power in todays patch(stealth increase) - today in 1 event my Sci tank with 50k hull - 18k shields - super sci tank as much as you can make it

GOT 1 SHOT taken out!!! 2 times - both with FULL shield and FULL hull

That has never happened before.

Tanking has never been a fulfilling career path in this game. :(
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The ends were using up time (aka keeping people busy at any cost).

...the purpose of every "content patch" in an MMO. Since the longer people are playing, the more chance that they'll pay (either monthly subs, or cash shop stuff).
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Tanking has never been a fulfilling career path in this game. :(

Yeah but 2 times in a Tholin Red alert - I was like WTF - it's not elite STF - and even there in this set-up I rarely got 1 shot killed. Insta boom should not happen with 50k hull and 18k shields + 50% resists - energy and kinetic
  • Options
    sekritagentsekritagent Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hell to the no. I am only doing it now out of curiosity. I am sending each toon on a single circuit of New Romulus, other than that it'll just be epohh tagging and maybe Tau Dewa Daily.

Once I hit T5, I'm outta there until some new section is added, which I'll send each toon through once and never touch again.

It's mindless, dreadful grind and had the potential to be so much more.
    Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it! No, seriously! ...Why are you laughing so hard? :(
  • Options
    dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    And I predicted that would be unsustainable, as did everybody else with lots of MMO experience and/or industry knowledge. And look; it was unsustainable.

The only way story content can stay ahead of the average player's play curve is with UGC; a company just can't do it with paid employees, it's not possible.

Paragon managed to roll out more major updates with new mission/story/system content for CoH than Cryptic has for STO in a similar time frame.

Of course, CoH content was far more replayable than STO content imo.

Maybe that is the problem with STO; Myopic focus on nothing but a very narrow selection of 'endgame' content.

Go back and add dilithium to every stopryline and all the various marks to the appropriate missions.

Give me a reason to start a new character or replay the missions with an existing one.

The Devs need to stop whining about 'one time content' and make a few simple changes that will make all content appealing for replay.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    dkeith2011 wrote: »
    The Devs need to stop whining about 'one time content' and make a few simple changes that will make all content appealing for replay.

Like, say, a new system where replaying the content in an area can contribute to Reputation with that NPC faction, providing access to new sets of weapons and gear with unique visuals?

Plus Dilithium for everything. I'm 100% down with that. Dilithium ALL THE THINGS.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    curs0rcurs0r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Dilithium ALL THE THINGS.

And raise the refining cap too! (24k would be great but 16k will do) YAR!
    I'll sell you some weapons from New Romulus. Never fired, only dropped once.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    This:

And This:

The Main problem that almost everyone agrees on is that other than running around for bunnies running the Romulan Content is boring and provides little rewards for the time invested.

STF at least provide a challege to most - some team play and some decent rewards and dilithium. Romulan mission - even mine trap are mind numbing and dumb - team play is not even that required in mine trap - just shoot and keep the buildings and civ's going.

And like i said getting to the sector for most is a chore as it is out of the way for most people with no easy way to get there. Add a transwarp to sector tau from starbase and really add a transwarp to sector for people who have reached 150k in Diplo/Marauading if the want to have any traffic there.

There is no place to turn in contraband, no cargo ships, not that great vendors, no exchange access

No new doff chains - and on and on

This place will become a ghost sector real quick.

And those people who have been doing the winter epohhs for marks and have not experience the 50 step program on new Romulus - you are in for a nasty suprize!!
    There is exchange access. It's one of the consoles by the main transporter. As for the rest, I've adopted a "Wait and see" attitude. It seems like the sort of place that will get expanded in the future. (And really, you actually like cargo ships? The Azura comm code is better.)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I actually haven't been to New Romulus yet. I've reached Tier 3 rep with them, and I am halfway to Tier 4 just by grinding up holiday epohhs. I actually have about a dozen sitting in my inventory right now that need to go through the GPL converter...

Once the winter wonderland is over, I will probably go and take a look at what the Romulans have been doing.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Like, say, a new system where replaying the content in an area can contribute to Reputation with that NPC faction, providing access to new sets of weapons and gear with unique visuals?

Plus Dilithium for everything. I'm 100% down with that. Dilithium ALL THE THINGS.
    I would love to have a solid Dilithium replica of the Sword of the Raptor Star. :D (Assuming it works for stabbity death)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg