test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Andoria... What a waste.

selraxxxselraxxx Member Posts: 89 Arc User
A wish for season 8.

It would be great if Andoria could be developed a bit more. Maybe an area that could be used as a social zone.

Perhaps a slightly more temperate and inviting area, something like winter wonderland with some locals and an Andorian tavern. Maybe an exchange, bank, etc.

Might make a good tie in with the Andorian ship.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by selraxxx on

Comments

• jtmarshjtmarsh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Andoria is just one of those failed dreams that got pushed into a micro singularity.
    Earth Solar System
    Starship interior games
    All and more can be found in that sink hole.

That is not me speaking badly about STO. All compaines have dreams/plans that just does not get off the ground. 2 letters 1 number EV1;) But who knows maybe they will have a reason to do something with it in the future. If not... its still a fun place to hike and run.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Do you realize how cold Andoria is? There's a reason why those guys are blue, IJS.

Though I do feel ya. It's like realizing that you'll never be able to wipe those pesky Klingons off Uranus.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'd like to see all of the planetary maps get the New Romulus treatment. Earth might be well tamed but there must be something out there in the Vulcan desert.
    <3
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    You ever drive past new housing subdivisions and see the Coming Soon: Swimming Pool or Coming Soon: Tennis Courts? Andoria and Risa feel like that. Where it's anyone's guess when/if the pool/tennis court is gonna ever get built. :D
  • unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hmm, me not so much, at least not for EVERY planetary map. New Romulus already has the feeling of a traditional ground-based MMO to me, except the quests are "ambient" and progress-based instead of "Do x number of y". That said, I prefer the New Romulus quest system to the Nukara Prime or Defera Invasion quest system, since you can do anything you like to get to 100% and more or less ignore the most boring (or hardest) stuff.

Rather, I'd like for SOME zones to be "New Romulus"-ized and OTHER zones, especially "peaceful" zones like Risa to get the "Q's Winter Wonderland" treatment. A medium-sized zone with regularly scheduled "event" quests that everyone can participate in.

Imagine it. Every 20 minutes, a Risa beach SHARK ATTACK where you fight sharks surfing in on the tide. And every 50 minutes, a Risa SWIMSUIT CONTEST, where only characters who bought the open jacket costumes are eligible.

And so on.
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I would love it if Andoria and Vulcan can get the New Romulus treatment. I wan to climb mohntains on Andor and hike the Forge on Vulcan. I am fine with Risa getting the Winter Wonderland treatment.
  • collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    You ever drive past new housing subdivisions and see the Coming Soon: Swimming Pool or Coming Soon: Tennis Courts? Andoria and Risa feel like that. Where it's anyone's guess when/if the pool/tennis court is gonna ever get built. :D

My personal favorite was a sign advertising a new office complex "coming soon in 1986" that wasn't removed until around 1994.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • sharyssasharyssa Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    There is so much that could be done to Andoria, as one of the founding members of the Federation it deserves a bit of love and should be more than an unused ground PvP arena...even if it doesn't get the "New Romulus" treatment a Defari treatment would be nice (not the invasion zone). I mean Andorians don't live in the wind and flying snow all of the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pingaheadpingahead Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    RISA has the best chance of a Social Zone Upgrade.

Put a half dozen mini-Vacation type missions.

And it all gets paid for by a C-Store "Vacation Wear" Custome Pack with swimwear and Hawaiian shirts.
    edited January 2013
    What we really need is the Wadi homeworld complete with cyber cafes full of gold farmers...

(kidding, kidding...) :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • init0init0 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    jtmarsh wrote: »
    That is not me speaking badly about STO. All compaines have dreams/plans that just does not get off the ground.

Yes, the companies that have dreams and plans that stay dreams and plans are the companies who's MMOs go free2play within a year after release (STO, SWTOR, POTBS etc.).

The companies that turn their dreams and plans into fun content are the ones that attract a stable and loyal player base and keep them for years (EVE Online, WOW, GW1, UO etc.).

Perhaps there is some sort of correlation between developer competence and success of the games they develop..? Who knows... :rolleyes:
  • eisenw0lfeisenw0lf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    As much as I'd like to see more developed planets I would prefer Cryptic to concentrate on content which both factions can enter, not only feds.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    init0 wrote: »
    Yes, the companies that have dreams and plans that stay dreams and plans are the companies who's MMOs go free2play within a year after the release (STO, SWTOR, POTBS etc.).

The companies that turn their dreams and plans into fun content are the ones that attract a stable and loyal player base and keep them for years (EVE Online, WOW, GW1, UO etc.).

Perhaps there is some sort of correlation between developer competence and success of the games they develop..? Who knows... :rolleyes:
    I'm sorry, but the plans and dreams for GW1 ? This game was lacking every tool current MMO have, and the ones the die hard community will be very vocal about. No exchanges, no LFG tool, no raids, no instances, not even race choice. And they never came, except for the LFG tool, which was useless. GW1 was just a l4d like game with a nice pvp. Until they broke the pvp.
    I wonder why so many stayed on it, probably because it was free and they were new to MMOs.

Back to topic, social zone are not important in this game. Some people keep asking for it, and when they are ingame, it's not enough and they want more. There are several social area, and how many people use them ? New Romulus was a difficult map to do, and yet a lot of people avoid it carefully because the fetch quests are annoying.

I'd rather see them spend more time on new quests, faction or whatever, than spending the same amount of work on a map that will be used once or twice by less than 1% of STO community.

There are already several social area ingame. Not every planet can be turned into one, or the game will seriously lack content. If your favorite planet is not a social one, I'm sorry to hear that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yes, the companies that have dreams and plans that stay dreams and plans are the companies who's MMOs go free2play within a year after release (STO, SWTOR, POTBS etc.).

Pretty sure STO lasted about a year and 11 months, it launched Feburary 2010 and only went free to play less than a year ago (17/01/12).

*Checks Wikipedia for STO's launch date*

Yup, launched 2nd of feb 2010, so 1 year, 11 months and 15 days.

If you're going to insult this game, at least do your research right.
  • zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    This is a job for... Foundry!

(There's a cool Foundry mission that starts on Andoria and involves some stuff there called Ushaan or something)
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • denizenvidenizenvi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Lol, how long did walking in stations take to be realized? And how much content is there with that now? ;)

Maybe you just weren't as emotionally invested in the features tossed around but not realized in those games. Or maybe they just don't share those ideas with the community as often as Crytpic does. Amount of personal disappointment is not an accurate measure of dev competence, especially when there are so many other factors (ie resources, team size, game-specific issues, community expectations) to be considered.

STO has a lot of things the devs talk about long before they're even possible. I like that the devs let the community voice feedback on these things, even though they haven't been really explored by them yet. But the drawback is feelings of entitlement and disappointment, and we have to keep in mind that this is expected to some extend as a consequence of the openness.

That aside, I'd love to see Andoria explored in more maps. Most of their cities are said to be underground. I can imagine an enormous cave, open to the sky at the top, where waterfalls from hot-springs fed by geotidal heat cascade past clusters of dwellings. Vegetation, sheltered from the surface winds, clings to the rock walls and forms alpine meadows in the furrows. Maybe someday we'll have a big-ticket piece of content that can bring a fraction of this to life in the game.
    Take a look at my Foundry missions!

Conjoined
    , Re-emergence, and . . .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    scififan78 wrote: »
    I would love it if Andoria and Vulcan can get the New Romulus treatment. I wan to climb mohntains on Andor and hike the Forge on Vulcan. I am fine with Risa getting the Winter Wonderland treatment.
    *puts on trekkie glasses*

Andor is a gas giant, sir. It probably don't even have a solid surface, let alone 'mountains'. Andorians are from one of its satellites, Andoria.

*pushes up trekkie glasses with finger* :D
  • selraxxxselraxxx Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    This is a job for... Foundry!

(There's a cool Foundry mission that starts on Andoria and involves some stuff there called Ushaan or something)

that might be worth checking out :)

I know there are rp environments in the foundry but those aren't persistent and only limited to 5.

Giving some of these unused worlds a "New Romulus" treatment would be nice. Missions would provide content.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I was really disappointed that Andoria only has a boring surface map. I was really hoping that we could visit the subterranean cities and caverns that were shown in Enterprise. That show did a good job of fleshing out the andorians.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • denizenvidenizenvi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I was really disappointed that Andoria only has a boring surface map. I was really hoping that we could visit the subterranean cities and caverns that were shown in Enterprise. That show did a good job of fleshing out the andorians.

Yep, sure did. Though I imagine there'd be some differences between the Aenar city we saw and the more mainstream settlements. For one, the Aenar were discovered as a dwindling population not long before, so their current city might be more of a pre-fab housing project from the Andorian government than a more naturally constructed city. Perhaps the more equatorial cities have more variety in their structures.

And Aenar live in an especially cold region (even for Andorians). Presumably the Andorians get their nourishment from some sort of ecosystem, and I would venture a guess that there's at least some vegetation growing in deep chasms below the surface. Unless their entire biosphere is based upon some sort of sub-ice planktonic autotrophs. So the more 'typical' cities might still be chilly, but in more of a conifer-dotted grotto than the ice caves the Aenar dwell in.
    Take a look at my Foundry missions!

Conjoined
    , Re-emergence, and . . .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • plasticwidowplasticwidow Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I concur that something more needs to be done with Andoria. I mean, even Vulcan has a little more work put into the mood and aesthetics.. there are npcs... and a bit of exploring you can do. Its not much, but more than Andoria. All the homeworld of the Andorians has is ice and snow everywhere.. a small area that is safe, and the rest if you walk out of the "safe" zone, is nothing but PvP everywhere.. nothing else. I would love to see more done to it. I think you'd have more players on STO if the homeworlds of each playable race has a bit more done to it than just simply a place to stand, and then fighting. There aren't even any buildings, or places of interest to see. What a waste.
  • sharyssasharyssa Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I concur that something more needs to be done with Andoria. I mean, even Vulcan has a little more work put into the mood and aesthetics.. there are npcs... and a bit of exploring you can do. Its not much, but more than Andoria. All the homeworld of the Andorians has is ice and snow everywhere.. a small area that is safe, and the rest if you walk out of the "safe" zone, is nothing but PvP everywhere.. nothing else. I would love to see more done to it. I think you'd have more players on STO if the homeworlds of each playable race has a bit more done to it than just simply a place to stand, and then fighting. There aren't even any buildings, or places of interest to see. What a waste.

^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    This...I'm not asking for a full-blown New Romulus treatment for Andoria (called Ferosan by Andorians), I really wanted to explore Andoria (I play an Andorian, favorite Fed race) ...but a Vulcan explorable content/eyecandy treatment would be nice. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2013
    I'll say the same thing here as I did about Risa. If you can get it on my schedule, I'll be more than happy to Taco it up a bit.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    I'll say the same thing here as I did about Risa. If you can get it on my schedule, I'll be more than happy to Taco it up a bit.

If your schedule is too full with other things, perhaps they should hire another developer, so you can split the workload? Or perhaps delegate some of the work, elsewhere?

You have these iconic locations in the game. Sitting virtually deserted. Something needs to be done at some point.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • onlyslightlybentonlyslightlybent Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited January 2013

You have a large Star Trek obsessed user base and the foundry. Even if the foundry is limited I am 100% certain the user base can make a better and more interesting world than what is currently out there. If you hold a competition to see who can make the best Andoria/Risa/etc and implement the winning map as the official world with Cryptic tweaks you could breath new life into these dead zones. Although I don't know the amount of work required, it certainly would be a lot less if the developers did it all themselves.
  • f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    meurik wrote: »
    If your schedule is too full with other things, perhaps they should hire another developer, so you can split the workload? Or perhaps delegate some of the work, elsewhere?

You have these iconic locations in the game. Sitting virtually deserted. Something needs to be done at some point.

If you crack the shell down the middle and split the filling between the two, would that count as two mini-taco-devs?
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • sollafsollaf Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Hey Tumor,

Thundercougarfalconbird

http://starbaseugc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/savethethundercougarfalconbird.jpg
    Sollaf: Join date Sep 2009, Lifer. Disgruntled with the JHSS, my Bug feels less shiny now.
  • rachelj88rachelj88 Member Posts: 465 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    pingahead wrote: »
    risa Has The Best Chance Of A Social Zone Upgrade.

Put A Half Dozen Mini-vacation Type Missions.

And It All Gets Paid For By A C-store "vacation Wear" Custome Pack With Swimwear And Hawaiian Shirts.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

This!! ;.;
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013

I'm expected to do the work of four people in my RL job, so I totally feel your pain. A lot of days all I have left when I get home is enough to run some doffs and just fly around the sectors randomly. :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • psymantispsymantis Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited January 2013

GW1 was subscription-free.

As for the two lists there's something that should be standing out; the games are from very different times. People accepted subscriptions fees back then more than now as there was a smaller choice. These days there are so many alternatives that mmo games need something to get people to try them and invest time (then money follows).

F2P is a system that works and pays so it makes business sense for games to adopt it. The reason they last for a year at subscription-based is either they have good intentions (SWTOR) or they had every intention of going F2P from the start and just tried to maximise initial income from subscriptions (The Secret World). The Secret World have an ingame shop to rival a F2P game at launch and sold lifetime subscriptions. Awesome game btw.

The only exception to the old mmo/new mmo trend is WoW but that now has free play up to level 20 along with so much legacy content that it's a special case. I can't think of any big mmo (other than EVE Online but I haven't looked into that much recently) that was created more than a few years ago that isn't F2P.