test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A Must Read For Apple Device Owners

keeny75keeny75 Member Posts: 319 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Ten Forward
Apple listen to there customers and its this reason that the team behind the IOS Jailbreak has started a petition asking apple to open there IOS.
This would allow apple devices to support flash media and open the App Store to a wider range of content.

Please go to twitter and sign the twitition
#weWantAnOpenIOS
http://twitition.com/mdinc/#.UOXdX7Hpz_o.twitter

Or go to Facebook and like the group

We Want An Open IOS.

Please share this as much as possible.

See you out there.
Keeny
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by keeny75 on

Comments

• Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Heh... have fun with that. People have been trying to get Apple to play by rules amenable to hardware and software developers since the Apple II. Sure, the assembler and basic interpreter were compatible with the other major computer brand, but the disk drives were not. Good fun hand-copying twelve thousand lines of somebody else's poorly commented code.

Even when the possibility of them disappearing as a viable company loomed, it took Motorolla dropping their CPU line to get them to switch to an open hardware standard for the Macs, and they still try really hard to make sure nobody's running a different OS on their hardware or vice versa.
  • Options
    cdiederichscdiederichs Member Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    How about you stop screaming at the moon? Seriously, there's no shortage of open mobile platforms: Maemo, Tizen, Meego, Ubuntu touch, hell even Android phones mostly come with open boot loaders now.

If you really want open, vote with your wallet and stop buying Apple stuff with the other iSheeple.
  • Options
    tepistepis Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    hevach wrote: »
    Heh... have fun with that. People have been trying to get Apple to play by rules amenable to hardware and software developers since the Apple II. Sure, the assembler and basic interpreter were compatible with the other major computer brand, but the disk drives were not. Good fun hand-copying twelve thousand lines of somebody else's poorly commented code.

Even when the possibility of them disappearing as a viable company loomed, it took Motorolla dropping their CPU line to get them to switch to an open hardware standard for the Macs, and they still try really hard to make sure nobody's running a different OS on their hardware or vice versa.

Apple will let you run any operating system you want on any desktop or laptop computer.

The iOS is a different issue and sadly will probably never be opened up.

As an active web developer I'm finding the need for Flash less and less. It's pretty much dead Jim. Even Adobe is moving on to better technologies, like HTML 5 and the rest.

Just my two cents.

Cheers!
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    tepis wrote: »
    Apple will let you run any operating system you want on any desktop or laptop computer.

As an active web developer I'm finding the need for Flash less and less. It's pretty much dead Jim. Even Adobe is moving on to better technologies, like HTML 5 and the rest.

Just my two cents.

Cheers!

I second all of that... Flash is a dying horse, fighting to survive... in a few years, no one will remember it..
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    keeny75keeny75 Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    tepis wrote: »

Just my two cents.

Cheers!

If I wanted the tool of a pikey I would have brought one of the above models. The fact is if you want the quality and something that's going to hold its value when you come to sell it, then you can't beat Apple.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    My wife got a Star W007 the other day, which is a visual clone of the iPhone 4, but runs Android Icecream Sandwich as its OS...
  • Options
    trahltrahl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    keeny75 wrote: »
    If I wanted the tool of a pikey I would have brought one of the above models. The fact is if you want the quality and something that's going to hold its value when you come to sell it, then you can't beat Apple.

Even though its value is not based on its actual condition.

The only reason apple computers appear to last longer than other computers is because they're being compared against the dells you buy by the pallet.
    Construct a PC out of quality parts and it will last just as long and at half the price.
  • Options
    quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    What's the deal with XBoxes being so locked down? Why doesn't Microsoft allow me to install whatever I want on my console? I mean, it's my console. I should be able to play whatever I want on it.
    w8xekp.jpg
  • Options
    cdiederichscdiederichs Member Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    quintaris wrote: »
    What's the deal with XBoxes being so locked down? Why doesn't Microsoft allow me to install whatever I want on my console? I mean, it's my console. I should be able to play whatever I want on it.

It's "your" console that you purchased at a highly subsidized price so that M$ can earn money on every piece of software you buy for it. The only console manufacturer that earns any real profit on the console hardware is Nintendo and even they have accepted a lower percentage of that in the Wii U then in previous generations of hardware.

Why would any company sell you hardware at near cost if all you're going to do is NOT use it to buy stuff from them?