test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Billing Info Compromised?

madlad14madlad14 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Got a call from my credit card bank today telling me that my card was compromised. Upon further discussion I was told that my card was one of many that were involved at a security breach where credit card data was stolen. The charge in question was PWE Cryptic, for the amount of monthly subscription. I verified that it was indeed correct and not fraudulent, but they were unable to tell me where the data compromise occurred. Was there a breach of billing info at Cryptic? Would customers typically be notified if there was a breach?
Post edited by madlad14 on

Comments

• gbehlpnu2012gbehlpnu2012 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    madlad14 wrote: »
    Got a call from my credit card bank today telling me that my card was compromised. Upon further discussion I was told that my card was one of many that were involved at a security breach where credit card data was stolen. The charge in question was PWE Cryptic, for the amount of monthly subscription. I verified that it was indeed correct and not fraudulent, but they were unable to tell me where the data compromise occurred. Was there a breach of billing info at Cryptic? Would customers typically be notified if there was a breach?

This has nothing to do with the credit card company or cryptic. Credit card companies cannot tell you where the data was compromised because it usually happens when you use a site that is compromised. If there was a breach at a a credit card company, they are required to notify you directly, but still wont tell you where it may have happened. So more than likely, you used your card online and the website you entered your info into was compromised. I know, because this has happened to me several months ago. I called my bank, had them reverse the charges and issue me new cards. Just be careful in the future where you shop.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm sure that you contacted PWE customer support before the close of business to get your answer already? I mean, you wouldn't just post something alarmist here in the forum on holiday. Right? :rolleyes:
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    if only we where given the choice to remove our billing info.
  • collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    madlad14 wrote: »

Typically in these situations the actual breach occurs at the payment processor used by PWE and not with PWE itself. I had my credit card info stolen after I made a payment on another site. The third party processor had been TRIBBLE and several credit card numbers including mine were stolen. I didn't know anything had happened until my bank contacted me to tell me they had closed my account and issued another card with a different number. I would imagine that something similar happened to your card. I would get a card with a new account number if you have not already.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 924 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Typically in these situations the actual breach occurs at the payment processor used by PWE and not with PWE itself. I had my credit card info stolen after I made a payment on another site. The third party processor had been TRIBBLE and several credit card numbers including mine were stolen. I didn't know anything had happened until my bank contacted me to tell me they had closed my account and issued another card with a different number. I would imagine that something similar happened to your card. I would get a card with a new account number if you have not already.

What he said.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • madlad14madlad14 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    There is no issue as far as I am concerned, I was just curious to see if this was breach STO subscription base. Card was closed as I was still on the phone with them just to be safe. As a matter of fact I have a specific card that I use for most online activity just so that sort of thing doesnt hit hard, if it does hit.
  • richardevegarichardevega Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    This also happen to me a few months ago but it happen right after i made a few purchases of Zen i got the same call from the bank and had to have my old card cancelled and issued a new one