What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Enterprise B

2»

Comments

• alexhurlbutalexhurlbut Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    wunjee wrote: »
    I always found it kind of funny that Starfleet was able to assemble a fleet of modern, heavily-armed ships, while losing the Dominion War, when they couldn't assemble a decent fleet during peace time at Wolf 359.

I wish we knew more about the Typhon engagement and what happened while the Enterprise was dinking around at the Neutral Zone. The Cube took a lot of damage, and there's no way it could've gone from the Typhon expanse to Earth in such a short amount of time without using transwarp (It's an 8 day trip from Starbase 4 to Earth at Warp 9.99...), so I'm sure there's an interesting story there..
    Thats what I said about the battle, it was a drawn out, long fight. It apparently took so long that the Enterprise-E arrive just in time from the Romulan Neutral Zone. The FC Cube was apparently detected early enough (By the DS9 right?) that the Defiant was able to join the Typhoon Task Force despite her LOW maximum warp speed (it's quite under Warp 9 isn't it?) before the Cube reached Earth. In the Dominion War, it was war so they had a lot of assembled task forces charged with protecting sectors so they could check any possible raid deep into the interior of UFP. And their shipyards were churning out ships like there was no tomorrow. Of course the breens managed to razed Earth before the Starfleet wiped them out.

The Wolf 359 fleet was hastily assembled, many starships still had a lot of civilians aboard! As I said it was the equivalent of being caught with your pants down for Starfleet.
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It was Deep Space 5 that detected the FC cube and teh Defiant has some seriously overpowered engines. During her testing days, she was so powerful, her engines nearly ripped the ship to pieces just by going at maximum warp.

Before Wolf359, Starfleet hadn't really fought any long bloody wars. Sure, there were skirmishes, things like the Cardassian war, but they were obviously not as big as the Dominion war. It was still primarily a peaceful organisation.

Wolf 359 changed that. After that battle, Starfleet realised they needed to build warships specifically to defend them from this kind of thing happening again. That's why we started seeing things like Defiants, Promethius, Sovereigns, Akiras and so on. They stepped up production to create a defense. Shelby said they could get the fleet back up and running in 6 months. Considering how long it took to build the Enterprise-D, this clearly indicates they intended to change their starship construction policy. That's why we saw so many more ships in the Dominion war. In the intervening years, Starfleet just kept churning them out, like they were building tanks in Command and Conquer.

I too would like to see the full battle of the Typhon Task Force. Though the Borg had clearly changed their construction designs in teh intervening years as well. The FC cube was stated as having extensive damage to it's hull and that the targeted system 'does not appear to be critical'. The Wolf 359 cube had no critical systems to target. It had no centralised power structure, no bridge, no engine room, no weapons system. It could take 79% damage and still be fully operational. If that cube was in FC, it's possible the Typhon Task Force would have been wiped out as easily as the Wolf one was.

And yes, Mr Shatner did make the correct decision in getting that ending changed.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The thing to note too (IMHO) is that the FC cube was not there to assault Earth directly. It's purpose was a delivery vehicle for the sphere. It did not have to withstand a sustained assault for an extended period of time. It just needed to last long enough to deliver it's package.

Also, Starfleet's ships and weaponry were greatly improved too in the time between Wolf 359 and FC.
  • jcp26jcp26 Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    age03 wrote: »
    The fate of the Enterprise A was never known and will never be much could be said about B.I would assume that the Enterprise A is at the sitting the Presidio.Starfleet wanted to retire this ship as they wanted to do with the one Kirk stold and destroyed.It is just the replacement as Starfleet wanted to to use it as a museum for all and what it has done and now Voyager sits beside it.

Yes, it was. Scotty mentioned that the old girl had been mothballed. A shame if you ask me. A ship like the Enterpise belongs in the fleet museum, not sitting idle in a shipyard.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Soooo what's any of this have to do with the Enterprise B?:confused:
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited December 2012
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Soooo what's any of this have to do with the Enterprise B?:confused:
    This is a paranormal activity know as T.D.R. (Topic DeRailment):cool: Nothing to see here! (Men in Black moves in)
    edited December 2012
    Well, on topic of the Enterprise B...Diamond Select Toys is releasing The U.S.S. Enterprise B http://www.toyark.com/news/attach/5/1/9/0/8/ncc1701_1349323448.jpg

also the B'rel BOP.
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited December 2012
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Well, on topic of the Enterprise B...Diamond Select Toys is releasing The U.S.S. Enterprise B http://www.toyark.com/news/attach/5/1/9/0/8/ncc1701_1349323448.jpg

also the B'rel BOP.
    *twitches* must...not...incur...debt....

They're also releasing Enterprise D.... and wait! the All Good Things Enterprise D is COMING BACK?!
    edited December 2012
    edited December 2012
    edited December 2012
    Why does it say I'm an ensign?:mad: I'm a level 50 Vice Admiral in command of an Odyssey! I'm Tier 1 Omega Force. And if they are making a toy of the B, why not an explanation as to what happened to her?
  • collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    jcp26 wrote: »
    Why does it say I'm an ensign?:mad: I'm a level 50 Vice Admiral in command of an Odyssey! I'm Tier 1 Omega Force. And if they are making a toy of the B, why not an explanation as to what happened to her?

Forum rank is independent of game rank. There are a lot of vice admirals in game who have never posted on the forum and would be ensigns if they chose to post.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • gemackgemack Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    grylak wrote: »
    Or C) She's abandoned, drifting in space.

And the mission involves finding out what happened to her.

I'm up for more adventures of the Ent-B.

This would be good!
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes, it was. Scotty mentioned that the old girl had been mothballed. A shame if you ask me. A ship like the Enterpise belongs in the fleet museum, not sitting idle in a shipyard.
    That is what I said at the Presidio (sp) which is where Yoyager sits now.I am only going on conjucture here as to what was done in Generations and Relics.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
    edited December 2012
    That is what I said at the Presidio (sp) which is where Yoyager sits now.I am only going on conjucture here as to what was done in Generations and Relics.

So mothballed equals museum? Not wasting away in a scrap yard?
  • cowbertcowbert Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I like how the music in Winter Wonderland this year is reminiscent of the one you hear during the holiday dream scene that Picard has after first being transported into the Nexus.
  • rickysmith1rickysmith1 Member Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    So mothballed equals museum? Not wasting away in a scrap yard?

Im in the Navy so this is my time to shine! lol
    Ships only become museums if they are majorally historical, such as HMS Victory or HMS Britannia in the U.K.

Normally ships are scrapped and sold for money or the shells of the ships are sold on to other countries for a tidy sum.
    It makes sense to; where do you think all the long term Miranda's in service get those specailised components from, Refits and Retrofits are only so good, there are alot of things you can't just replace before it all becomes a waste of resources and money... sorry E.C. lol
    Hell the Enterprise-A's components were probally used on other ships for a good thirty years after she was De-Commissioned. :D
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
  • seerisowseerisow Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Hit the nail on the head there.

When it all boils down to it, the Harriman part of the 'Generations' story suffered from 'James T. Kirk' syndrome. It happened numerous times in trek - three obvious examples:

STV: We were supposed to believe that Starfleet thought it better to field an almost inoperable Starship simply because Captain Kirk was in Command. We were therefore expected to believe that there were no other ships that could've dealt with it.

STVI: The Excelsior shows up during the battle between the Enterprise-A and General Chang's BOP, but they couldn't possibly have Sulu come to Kirk's rescue, and Kirk HAS to be the one to 'save the day' so we end up with Sulu saying "Now they've got something else to shoot at" and the Excelsior simply sitting there and getting shot at.

STVII: Kirk makes the modifications to the Enterprise-B deflector and saves the day. And were were supposed to ignore the fact that he wasn't an engineer and that the Enterprise-B had at least one officer aboard (Scotty) who could've done the job better and faster, not to mention that there MUST have been engineers in the ship's engineering section, which would be closer to the deflector control room than the bridge.

in STV: yes they fielded an aging ship, the mission involved was of a political hostage
    situation not a ship to ship confrontation. therefor simply load the vessel with negotiators and assualt squads. doesnt require a top of the line cruiser for personnel transport.

STVI: no argument there, sulu was in command of the excel, federations newest design they should have had a sensors officer detect the bop since klingon cloaking is less effective than romulan models.

STVII: Ent-B was initially let out to do a lap around the solar system, since it was essentially intended to only be an impulse engines test. command had no need to equip it with even a proper skeleton crew or a decent weapons loadout, hence the tuesday jokes.(nevermind how in hell theres no fully equipped ships in the heart of federation space within range.) As for kirk i wanna know how in the frak did he reconfigure a deflector dish on an excel retrofit when (A) hes not an engineer. (B) hes been retired so hes fallen behind on official starfleet training. thats like telling a retired former captain of the real enterprise nuclear carrier to come onboard the new ford class..send it out to sea..get called for a rescue mission (with no coast gaurd on duty) then have a cascade series of technical failures go down and he offers to help get the reactor starting again..
  • admgreeradmgreer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Beacuse Deflector design is pretty straight foward and prob hasent changed much since the Enterprise A's time. Or Scotty told him what he needed to do, and any experienced officer would be knowlageable in basic starship design and operations.
  • timpantstimpants Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    admgreer wrote: »
    Beacuse Deflector design is pretty straight foward and prob hasent changed much since the Enterprise A's time. Or Scotty told him what he needed to do, and any experienced officer would be knowlageable in basic starship design and operations.

So why didn't Scotty go and reconfigure it himself?

By the way, if you think those movie examples are bad, try reading Shatners novels. They're not too bad, but the Mary sue-ish levels Kirk gets raised to can be difficult to stomach. For example, he has to avenge Sarek's death (it turns out he was murdered) because he's a much better son than Spock was, due to them mind melding once when Kirk was a kid (apparently it's a logical Vulcan custom for sons to avenge their fathers)
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    timpants wrote: »
    So why didn't Scotty go and reconfigure it himself?

By the way, if you think those movie examples are bad, try reading Shatners novels. They're not too bad, but the Mary sue-ish levels Kirk gets raised to can be difficult to stomach. For example, he has to avenge Sarek's death (it turns out he was murdered) because he's a much better son than Spock was, due to them mind melding once when Kirk was a kid (apparently it's a logical Vulcan custom for sons to avenge their fathers)

Same reason Kirk didn't take the Captain's chair. He wanted to be useful, and not feel old anymore (the deleted skydiving scene explains this). He wanted Scotty to keep the ship together, since he was the most experienced Engineer there, and has command experience, so if something happened with the ribbon, Scotty could work out some fancy pants way to free the ship.

Which novels did that Sarek thing take place in? I've read the first 6, and don't remember any of that.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • deianirrahdeianirrah Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The fate of the Enterprise A was never known and will never be much could be said about B.I would assume that the Enterprise A is at the sitting the Presidio.Starfleet wanted to retire this ship as they wanted to do with the one Kirk stold and destroyed.It is just the replacement as Starfleet wanted to to use it as a museum for all and what it has done and now Voyager sits beside it.
    Actually, there is some expanded canon written by none other than William Shatner himself:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Ashes_of_Eden

Both the book and the comic adaption tell the story of Kirk and his crew between ST VI and ST VII - and of course what happened to the Enterprise-A. In short: she gets destroyed in battle, defending a planet against an ambitious Starfleet traitor.

Taskforce 47 Falkenwacht (Federation) / Greifenreiter (KDF)
    (at) deianirrah
    Free Gear and where to get it
    edited December 2012
    Enterprise B soooo what about her.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • admgreeradmgreer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The Star trek Destiny Trilogy should have been made into Movies that would have saved the franchise. They were so good.