test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Omega Cutting Beam looks like a pocket laser pointer

shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Graphical and Sound Issues
Just curious as to why the Omega Cutting Beam only draws a narrow red line to the target whenever it shoots. Its graphics remind me of a pocket sized laser pointer. Is there any way for Cryptic to enhance its visual effects? Perhaps a narrow rotating laser cone over the target, similar to the Enterprise-D's first encounter with a Borg cube?
Post edited by shar487a on

Comments

• mastergenera1mastergenera1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    yea it would be a bit nice as it is now it looks like a blander AP beam.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. - Thomas Jefferson
  • saltypineapplesaltypineapple Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Well in "Q-Who" the beam was whitish in color not sure why Cryptic made it a light red. Now within the game if you have the beam you should have noticed that when the beam is hitting hull it carves a circular pattern which I thought was a nice touch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#It'sJustaGameAndAFreeOneAtThat!
    Come Visit the 44th Fleet
  • shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Well in "Q-Who" the beam was whitish in color not sure why Cryptic made it a light red. Now within the game if you have the beam you should have noticed that when the beam is hitting hull it carves a circular pattern which I thought was a nice touch.

I have the Omega Cutting Beam, but I'm guessing that the circular pattern it is drawing over the target is a bit too small to been seen without zooming in. Perhaps they can enlarge the effect to make it more readily visible?
  • adamrezeau1982adamrezeau1982 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I wanted to weigh in on the visual effects related to the cutting beam. At this point, I don't want to touch the discussion related to how powerful it is, although I think I was expecting something a little more in line with the beam that decompressed Main Engineering on the Enterprise-D during The Best of Both Worlds in just a few seconds...but that's beside the point.

As it stands right now, the cutting beam effect looks like a special effect out of The Original Series. Now, that's not to knock TOS, for their time those effects on the show's budget were great. But let's face it, it's 2012. I think we can make it look better. While antiproton beams in STO typically look red, if this weapon is inspired by the beam in Q-Who and Best of Both Worlds, I'd expect to see a sharp white beam wielded with scalpel like precision. If not updates to appear more like the effect that inspired it, what about updating it to match the appearance of the old yellow antiproton beam. It would stand apart from any other beam in game (except may phasers), and it would look like something that's delivering a devastating attack.
  • illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2012

You would remember it as a white-ish color, but it's not. I rewatched the episode recently, and it's definitely red.
  • thanatos9tthanatos9t Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited November 2012

"I walked away from the last great Time War. I marked the passing of the Time Lords. I saw the birth of the universe and watched as time ran out, moment by moment, until nothing remained. No time, no space. Just me!"
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    One thing I do like about the cutter is that if the enemy is moving at speed, theres a trail of molten metal (I presume it is) that flows off into space..its a nice effect that makes it look like it is actually cutting the hull with a beam capable of melting hull armor
  • saltypineapplesaltypineapple Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    thanatos9t wrote: »

Well what do you know, it is! Mistook the borg's white "environmental" tractor beam for the color of the KCB.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#It'sJustaGameAndAFreeOneAtThat!
    Come Visit the 44th Fleet
  • bohiapbohiap Member Posts: 535
    edited December 2012
    I got my cutting beam today and I can't see any animation for it. According to the chatbox it is doing damage, I just can't see it. :mad: