test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Reality Check for the STO PvPer

naz4naz4 Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
edited November 2012 in PvP Gameplay
Just a curiousity question for the remaining pvper's out there. No hidden agenda on this question whatsoever. Me just being curious.

What makes you stay in STO for pvp?

Possible answers:
Too much invested financially in it to leave.
Too much invested time wise to leave it.
Love the way STO is right now.
I believe what the devs are promising will happen.
No other alternate out there.
PvP is only 1 part of the game I enjoy.
Most enjoyable game out there.
Friends in game.

For me it was the friends I made in game that was the last thing that kept me in the game. Previously, in years gone by, it used to be all of the above but sadly, over time each one disappeared apart from the last one and now most of them have gone / going.
Post edited by naz4 on

Comments

• Options
    pveheropvehero Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    naz4 wrote: »
    PvP is only 1 part of the game I enjoy
    ^^ that
    And: The wide variety of ships, skills, weapons, doffs etc. that allows for almost countless possible variations. That was always what I loved about STO...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited November 2012

I'm not sure that's why I'm here now. Without being able to do the quick STF runs to grab Borg/MACO/Omega - I'm not taking my rerolls anywhere near PvP. I'm not doing PvE because I enjoy the PvE - I'm doing it because it's a gated grind that I need to do if I want to PvP again somewhere down the line. So, I'm still here with the hopes of doing PvP again...

...or something like that, eh?

Then again, by the time I get anywhere with the grind - who knows - they might actually do something about PvP...

...okay, that was just silly of me - them do something about PvP - lololololo...

...oh well, back to Archer so I can fight next to the Enterprise!
  • Options
    devorasxdevorasx Member Posts: 693
    edited November 2012
    Friends in game.

These really. Else I would be playing GW2 way more.
    Co-founder of The Spanish Inquisition TSI - Cause no one expects it!

PaxOttomana: gawd mirror event is like fighting a tsi premade, they keep comin and comin!
  • Options
    dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Actually, I will probably never "leave" STO. Make breaks often yes, as I dislike the grind...but all of the MMOs I have played, this is the only one I regularly return to and pay money for.
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • Options
    ilhanskilhansk Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I hate the grind but I love the pew pew... even if pvp has problems currently.

And I also made friends in this game... people I'd never met otherwise, from other cultures all over the world...

BTW Naz come back to STO we need playas
    Visit the Inner Circle YouTube Channel to watch some STO pew pew PVP action!

• Options
    brandonflbrandonfl Member Posts: 892
    edited November 2012
    I was online for about 4 hours last night. Why? I was chatting. Played 2 matches. 1 against cheese, made me think about logging out. I started chatting so stuck around, I really do like a lot of people in this game. The 2nd (almost 4 hours later) was against a KDF team that was using skill instead of cheese. That match was fun and reminded me why I kept playing as long as I did. The problem is fun matches are not the norm anymore.
    LOLSTO
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    brandonfl wrote: »
    The problem is fun matches are not the norm anymore.

You wait anywhere from 5-10-15+ minutes. When you get in there, the following is likely:

Your team has an AFKer or AFKers.
    Their team has an AFKer or AFKers.
    Your team has folks breaking out the cheddar.
    Their team has folks breaking out the cheddar.
    Both your team and their team has an AFKer or AFKers while the remaining members of both your team and their team have folks breaking out the cheddar.
    Etc, etc, etc, etc, etc...

Faint memories of fun matches is not enough to make the gamble, take the risk, in bothering to queue...
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    HOPE

Hope that PvP in STO will one day reach it's potential.
    The PvE game is just a way to prepare for it.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    alax2011alax2011 Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    HOPE

LOLOLOLOLOL are u serious? PVE in this game is a joke, you get mobs that are triple the hull of urs and dont use the skills PvPers use so how is it prepareing for PVP? just think...if they gave the npc's the ability to use our skills at the right time (Better AI) all the PVErs will cry "this game is way too hard" <<< OH wait, they do that now and the AI sucks
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    alax2011 wrote: »
    LOLOLOLOLOL are u serious? PVE in this game is a joke, you get mobs that are triple the hull of urs and dont use the skills PvPers use so how is it prepareing for PVP? just think...if they gave the npc's the ability to use our skills at the right time (Better AI) all the PVErs will cry "this game is way too hard" <<< OH wait, they do that now and the AI sucks

$$$ to buy PvP gear
    ...and of course that lucky purple gear drop.

PvE is so mindnumbing simple it's all about the grind for gear and passives, nothing more.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    webdeathwebdeath Member Posts: 1,570 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I don't PVP in STO right now..

Because I want to get my Reputation stuff done first.

That and I'm not happy with the way PVP is currently.
    You think that your beta test was bad?
    Think about this:
    American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rdm1958rdm1958 Member Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Just a curiousity question for the remaining pvper's out there. No hidden agenda on this question whatsoever. Me just being curious.

Possible answers:
    Friends in game.

For me it was the friends I made in game that was the last thing that kept me in the game. Previously, in years gone by, it used to be all of the above but sadly, over time each one disappeared apart from the last one and now most of them have gone / going.

i want to be the one that people dread running into in PVP. i'm not that guy now, but working towards that goal.
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Freinds mainly but to be completely honest I'm now treating STO like my Booty-call PVP source for when I can't get better somehwere else.
    When the itch hits I jump into the game but quickly become bored knowing that not much actually exists PvPwise in it and what does is woefully unbalanced on several levels.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    HOPE

Though this is why I linger (and the lifer sub)
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    My LTS.
    I like shooting or healing stuff with my ships.
    I can't completely abandon all of my effort in the game.

I don't have any expectations of any improvement to the gametype.

I only see more lockbox additions and z-store additions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xtremenoob1xtremenoob1 Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited November 2012

PvP is THE ONLY part of the game I enjoy.
    Friends in game.

I've never been a gamer (being a code TRIBBLE has been a lot of fun for me for many years) but the few games I have enjoyed are Fight Night (a local bar used to have tourneys which was a lot of FUN!) and UFC. But only against other players.

Supreme Ruler 2020, SOASE and Supreme commander were somewhat enjoyable as well. Never did any multiplayer with them but wanted to try. However this game came out around the time I picked them up, so STO has been a real time killer for me for almost 3 years!

That said, seeing the general direction and lack of any fixes on THE MOST BASIC stuff is pushing more and more of my friends off this game. We're suppose to be trying to help players get into PVP and the constant QQ is getting more and more frustrating. Just this morning, I was teamed with Qin, and apparently the fact that I team with a friend is EVIL and I guess ... W/E.

I have about 5 friends who regularly queue KDF and I only get on to team with them now. I will say I have had a couple really fun matches against the 110th, a Italian KDF premade, and a couple fairly fun pug matches the last week. That doesn't change the fact that 99% of the matches are MEH!

Otherwise the general state of the game is absolutely appalling, whereas, about two years ago kerrat and pugging arenas was just a absolute blast. Granted it could be frustrating getting a pug group teamed at the start! But still more fun than pugging now.
    -X-/Pandas - Pheo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    omgrandalthoromgrandalthor Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    brandonfl wrote: »
    I was online for about 4 hours last night. Why? I was chatting. Played 2 matches. 1 against cheese, made me think about logging out. I started chatting so stuck around, I really do like a lot of people in this game. The 2nd (almost 4 hours later) was against a KDF team that was using skill instead of cheese. That match was fun and reminded me why I kept playing as long as I did. The problem is fun matches are not the norm anymore.

That was one of the best matches I had all day. Had great pvpers on both sides and was a hard match both teams going back and forth. And what no tric mines no voldi wow hmm so if cryptic fixes this stuff or people don't use it pvp is fun?!

Quit licking your windows cryptic!
  • Options
    gradstudent1gradstudent1 Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Possible answers:
    Friends in game.

- Friends
    - Ability to customize builds in highly unique ways
    - I still feel like I am learning a lot from the whole PvP experience
    - I am a die-hard Star Trek fan and would simply have a hard time putting time into a non-Trek-based MMO.
    - I have hope for the future of STO PvP
  • Options
    zorena#3961 zorena Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Given up long ago, then Gozer said hes going to fix it but we all know how that went.
    Noone.
  • Options
    omgrandalthoromgrandalthor Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    zorandra wrote: »
    Given up long ago, then Gozer said hes going to fix it but we all know how that went.

He lied and decided to lick windows!
  • Options
    paxottomanpaxottoman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It's Star Trek.

As crappy as the state in which PvP is in, I'm not sure if I can bare the thought of lightsabers, goblins, mechs, or rifles on my computer screen.

I like my starships. Always have. Always will.

From what I recollected from the bootcamp conference call was the limited help being provided to us. However, they want us to bring more players into PvP even knowing the current state in which it's in. I don't know if this is going to work, but it's something to do on the side I suppose. I also can't say it will be easy.
    Turkish RP Heroes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    naldorannaldoran Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    In-game friends (even if you've mostly abandoned me for MWO :P ) and a hope that things will get better.

That said, I play more EVE now than STO, and doing so is making me appreciate just how broken and neglected things are in STO. :(
    12th Fleet | Sad Pandas | Starfleet M.A.C.O.
  • Options
    stevehalestevehale Member Posts: 437
    edited November 2012
    There are a lot of people I like flying with and against.
    Space: The Final Frontier.
    Doffemon (appeals to my obsessive compulsiveness).
    I remember how fun PvP and have high hopes for how fun it could be, if...
    Alcohol:D and self loathing:(.
  • Options
    pveheropvehero Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    paxottoman wrote: »
    However, they want us to bring more players into PvP even knowing the current state in which it's in.

Yeah, it's like if Ford tried to sell you a car, saying...

"yeah, we haven't got the brakes to work, the steering is a bit on and off, and we haven't installed seats yet, but give it a try and if you like it and drive it for a year, we may fix those things!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dant158#3249 dant158 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    From an outsider perspective, I (now) really don't know why I stayed as long as I did to be honest.
    naldoran wrote: »
    That said, I play more EVE now

Holla!
  • Options
    paxottomanpaxottoman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    pvehero wrote: »
    Yeah, it's like if Ford tried to sell you a car, saying...

"yeah, we haven't got the brakes to work, the steering is a bit on and off, and we haven't installed seats yet, but give it a try and if you like it and drive it for a year, we may fix those things!"

Even worse, Ford is trying to get it's customers to sell that car...
    Turkish RP Heroes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Too much invested time wise to leave it. <- I've been playing virtually since the game was released and it seems a waste to leave all that accumulated knowledge and items behind. My covariant Mk X cap x3 sits on my virtual mantle piece, reminding me of the old days before the dark times.

No other alternate out there. <- This is probably the main reason I'm sticking with STO. For all it's issues, I do like it's SFC inspired space combat. It's also one of the few games available that has a fully fleshed out ground and space combat system.

A majority of other MMOs just don't interest me due to most of them set in medieval fantasy worlds. SWTOR forgets the star wars bit of the Star Wars IP and I have never been interested in dark sith or Jedi outside of Luke and Vader. Eve meanwhile is too much like a second job. The only one that REALLY interested me is Secret Life... But that seems to have gotten mediocre reviews.

I certainly won't play a FPS, totally not my kind of game.

Friends in game. <- I wouldn't call people I meet in an MMO friends, but yeah people I know in game are pretty much the second reason I'm sticking to STO.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    joestylesjoestyles Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I came back for the PvP only to find out that the new owners have butchered it...

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    smeagolsneakysmeagolsneaky Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    For me is a PC preformance issue

Guild wars 2 doesnt run on my Laptop :(