What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Disappearing NPC Contact

chaddy18chaddy18 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
Mission Title: Life Absorbed
Author: @chaddy18
Project ID: ST-HLLM8HQEV
Map: Deck 3

Since the season 7 republish this map has now become incompletable. If you explore the map to do the additional tasks, the npc contact that is required to complete the map disappears and doesn't reappear when nearing the objective. This may be caused by moving too far away from the contact, but this didn't happen while it was published in season 6.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• commanderleetacommanderleeta Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Exact same thing happened to my mission, "Orion Trilogy, part 3: Rebellion" :(

Addendum: I've confirmed that it is a distance issue -- when you move too far away from NPCs and Contacts, they disappear and do not come back.
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I also have a missing npc in "The Return to Terra Nova." Spawn point is pretty far away from him, and he is nowhere to be found on the first level of the ziggarut. The ones on the second and third level are fine. It's not a big deal for this specific mission, but if it is affecting my other missions, then it's a big deal.

There is not a talk to him objective. He is just far away and nowhere to be found when I get close to him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    See my post in the other thread. It's a matter of distance. Move far enough away from any NPC (good, bad, or contact) and they disappear.
  • rogueeenterpriserogueeenterprise Member Posts: 299 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I also am having this happen, on my mission "Clean Sweep".

Is this happening exclusively on custom maps?
  • castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Keeping up with the J'sens
    ID: ST-HRJGPHDQ7
    Map The Wel'Cha Main Deck #1

Issue: Contact disappears after first interaction

Loading on the map, the first storyboard interaction is to speak with the captain. Once you do this a series of complete interactions are called by the storyboard. On completing those tasks, you are speak with the captain again, but the NPC disappears sometime between the initial interaction and your return.

Digging in the Past
    ID: ST-HGE2R20B0
    Map Havrashran Station

A NPC is supposed to become visible at the end of a combat sequence but is not spawning. This might be possible because the player is within a room interacting with consoles and does not have direct LOS on where the NPC spawns
  • woodyvalleywoodyvalley Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Seems Chaddy beat me to the mark. He was my posting about it.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=459251
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Maybe it was a bad idea to publish a major patch right before a holiday weekend. The missions are all going to be broken for at least 5 days. :(

I really hope it's true that ratings are currently disabled.
    edited November 2012
    I also have a missing npc in "Relics." My renaissance man is nowhere to be found on the alien ship. He is not in his stasis chamber.

This isn't an issue of distance for me. In both "Terra Nova" and "Relics" (and probably others that I have yet to check), the npc just isn't there. These are not npcs set to spawn or despawn. They don't have any tasks or objectives attached to them. They just aren't there.

Hopefully, it's an issue with the y value or something. "Relics" can still be completed, but it will confuse the player. The entire plot is about finding a guy in stasis, and now that guy is nowhere on the ship.

Yet another reason that I'm nervous about hitting that submit button. This is a spotlight. I need the ability to fix my mission when Cryptic breaks it or mucks it up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    OK, yes this is a really terrible bug, and it does seem to be related to distance, although some of my npcs do not seem to have spawned at all.

Project: "The Needs of the Few" Third map is a compound with about 100 npcs. As I wander through it from end to end, npcs begin to disappear one by one, until there is not a single npc left in the compound.

The mission cannot be completed.

Some of the npcs never appear, like a preacher on a platform, although the crowd around him is there. Others disappear after I get out of range.

ST-HMXXUBCKU
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ckembleockembleo Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Same thing happened to me on 3 different Foundry maps. Probably wont be fixed until they re-open editing.
    edited November 2012
    ckembleo wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me on 3 different Foundry maps. Probably wont be fixed until they re-open editing.

I'm not sure if we'll be able to fix on our end, if somehow the npc is set to auto disappear once it's out of range. Every single mission that has a npc that you must return to after a fetch quest is now broken. Every mission with a large site to casually explore... the same.

The only missions not affected are the most linear of all types of Foundry missions. If you have to visit a spot on the map more than once, then it's borked.

I can't imagine a spotlighted mission that isn't plagued by this show-stopper of a bug.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • picapica74picapica74 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I find it almost impossible to complete Foundry missions at present (since S7 relaunch of foundry) due to consistent despawning of enemy group NPCs.

Is anyone else having this problem?
    edited November 2012
    picapica74 wrote: »
    I find it almost impossible to complete Foundry missions at present (since S7 relaunch of foundry) due to consistent despawning of enemy group NPCs.

You mean the enemies are disappearing? We've been having lots of issues season 7 with regular npcs disappearing when they get out of sight. I haven't heard that this happens with enemies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    In the Foundry missions:

"Deadly Intentions Part 2/3" at the "Discover the Fate of the Task Force" stage, the final group of 3 Borg enemies always seem to lose a group, rendering the mission impossible.

"The Computer's Daughter" at the "En Passant" stage, the final group of Klingons is missing.

"Deep Space 11" at the "Breaking the Siege" stage, the 4th group of enemies always seems to go missing.

Those are just a few of the ones that I've been having a problem with. I haven't encountered the missing NPCs thing yet (thankfully), but it seems like a related issue.
    edited November 2012
    In the Foundry missions:

"Deadly Intentions Part 2/3" at the "Discover the Fate of the Task Force" stage, the final group of 3 Borg enemies always seem to lose a group, rendering the mission impossible.

"The Computer's Daughter" at the "En Passant" stage, the final group of Klingons is missing.

"Deep Space 11" at the "Breaking the Siege" stage, the 4th group of enemies always seems to go missing.

Those are just a few of the ones that I've been having a problem with. I haven't encountered the missing NPCs thing yet (thankfully), but it seems like a related issue.

The issue with the npcs works like this: If you get too far away from a npc contact or even random npcs, they despawn forever.

I have issues in my missions where it seems like some npcs never spawn at all, even if my spawn point is close to them.

Could it be an issue where you maybe get close to the enemy mob on the other side of a wall, and then the hallway takes you too far away from them so they disappear?

Seems like the same problem, but we didn't know that it was also affecting enemy mobs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    Ok, I've replayed "Deadly Intentions, Part 2/3" and followed your advice to never let the Borg enemy group that would despawn get out of sensor range.

This worked and all groups remained in the mission to be defeated, allowing a successful completion.

I believe you are right, enemy groups (and most likely NPCs as well) are spawning in, despawning when they go "out of range" and not respawning when their spawn locations come back "into range."

Thank you for your help. Hopefully a more permanent solution to this problem will be implemented by our STO devs, but until then, your solution works for me.
    edited November 2012
    Ok, I've replayed "Deadly Intentions, Part 2/3" and followed your advice to never let the Borg enemy group that would despawn get out of sensor range.

This worked and all groups remained in the mission to be defeated, allowing a successful completion.

I believe you are right, enemy groups (and most likely NPCs as well) are spawning in, despawning when they go "out of range" and not respawning when their spawn locations come back "into range."

Thank you for your help. Hopefully a more permanent solution to this problem will be implemented by our STO devs, but until then, your solution works for me.

Well, I'm glad it worked in this case, but it's not a solution for a ton of missions out there. Some of my own just cannot be completed because the player has to return to a npc after exploring a map.

It's a terrible bug for a lot of us. I would be surprised if you are able to complete 80% of the missions, even when knowing what you know about the bug.

Thanks for playing our missions and not blaming us for stuff that we can't control or fix.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    Yeah, I pointed out in one of the other threads here that the enemy mobs in my missions are disappearing when you move too far away from them, just like the friendly NPCs. This is particularly problematic in space battles, when players will frequently "fly away" from the battle in order to recharge their shields, etc. Get a little distance away, and the enemy ships vanish, never to return!
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm okay with this bug since it makes those "Kill Five" patrol/ cluster missions less tedious.
    <3
  • patcrowpatcrow Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Yes. Happened to me twice. It's not just enemy npc but also friendly ones.

YOU GUYS NEED TO FIX THESE!!!
  • diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I encountered this for the first time last night, and then again tonight on two seperate missions, 'To Helna and Back', and 'Brains Before Bounty'. Both of these had objectives involving talking to NPCs that had totally vanished, and were therefore impossible to complete.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • logitech007logitech007 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
    Logitech007
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,148 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Mirror Wars

- Npc contacts not showing
    - Npc groups (hostile and friendly) not showing up
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited November 2012
    Hi Authors,

I let a few of you know via Twitter when you sent me messages, but I've passed along this information to the team. Thanks for the reports :) We're back in tomorrow so hopefully we can track down this issue quickly.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • stasia124stasia124 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    diotw wrote: »
    I encountered this for the first time last night, and then again tonight on two seperate missions, 'To Helna and Back', and 'Brains Before Bounty'. Both of these had objectives involving talking to NPCs that had totally vanished, and were therefore impossible to complete.

its has happened to me also but now it wont allow me to even get into the foundry:confused:
  • diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Hi Authors,

I let a few of you know via Twitter when you sent me messages, but I've passed along this information to the team. Thanks for the reports :) We're back in tomorrow so hopefully we can track down this issue quickly.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Thanks for the update, Brandon. Hope you guys had a nice relaxing Thanksgiving weekend, so you can be all refreshed for bug stomping on Monday! :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • zer0niusrexzer0niusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    We should have a fix for this up on Tribble soon. (And thenceforth to Holodeck.)

:)
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,148 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    fix it, fix it, fix it! I wanna build stuffz!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • duntyrduntyr Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Exact same thing happened to my mission, "Orion Trilogy, part 3: Rebellion" and now I'm getting 1-star reviews. >:(

Addendum: I've confirmed that it is a distance issue -- when you move too far away from NPCs and Contacts, they disappear and do not come back.

It happened to me in part 2 of the Olympus Trilogy as well as some of the other missions by the same author both space and ground. A shame too since I'm really enjoying this author's work.

Addendum: I was working episode 10 of the series that continues from the Olympus Trilogy last night, the one were you go to Qo'nos for the Batlith tournament and the part were I am to go meet the team in the locker room I saw on the little map as I got to the middle of the bar my NPC contact icon disappear. I picked up early on with the previous missions that it was a bug issue and usually I could abort the mission then come back in, skip through the already completed steps to the point were I left and pick up the contact/trigger. However in "The Big Tournament SO/10" there is only one way to the destination to pick up the contact and halfway to it it disappears.
    edited November 2012
    This is still broken. My npcs disappear post patch.

Example "The Needs of the Few" Project id posted earlier in the thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.