test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What Happened To Dilithium Being Our One Currency, Stahl?

Comments

• darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    What happened to the one currency?

Just a ruse to explain why they were doing away with marks and emblems and what ever else got combined so they could redo the system into something that they could better manipulate to their advantage.

The way the game is set up now, we may as well kept those old currencies, huh? Even those who are trying to go against my asking why the change from the previous stance seem to not care if we stayed in the old system since they see nothing wrong with the multi-currency system.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • holibrae581#2435 holibrae581 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The game only really has 5 currencies right now, EC, GPL, Dil, Lobi, and FC. The various flavors of marks aren't true currencies any more than Contraband is....

I agree it's not really a currency but more like "points" towards differant goals. Heck even dilithium isn't a real currency because currency would be tradeable and part of an active economy... well unless you consider the ability to sell it and buy it for zen. In reality dilithium is what it is, a resource, and a BoP unless you sell it kind :P
    Zadesca - 23c Andorian Eng Officer
    Raychul - Remen Sci Officer
    Lumba - Ferengi Eng Officer
    Vadesca - Orion Eng Officer
    AKA: Yavin_Prime
    edited November 2012
    starbear wrote: »
    I agree it's not really a currency but more like "points" towards differant goals. Heck even dilithium isn't a real currency because currency would be tradeable and part of an active economy... well unless you consider the ability to sell it and buy it for zen. In reality dilithium is what it is, a resource, and a BoP unless you sell it kind :P

The thing is we went from many down to two to streamline it. Now we have grown more again and this will continue at the rate this game is going. Soon we'll be right back where we started so we may as well just left it well enough alone back then.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Can you really count GPL as a currency when all you can get for it is useless holoemitters?
    edited November 2012
    scififan78 wrote: »
    Can you really count GPL as a currency when all you can get for it is useless holoemitters?

I hadn't even listed that but actually one more to the list. Just because it's not as valuable doesn't make it not a currency. Before the issues with the USD, we used to say that about the dollar from Canada.

• defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Tl:dr answer. Would you really want every single thing in the game paid for with dilithium when there's an 8k refinement cap per day limit, and as it stands we have less currencies than we did in season 6.

Or do you want everything in the game paid for with dilithium so you can buy it outright?
    Tl:dr answer. Would you really want every single thing in the game paid for with dilithium when there's an 8k refinement cap per day limit, and as it stands we have less currencies than we did in season 6.

Or do you want everything in the game paid for with dilithium so you can buy it outright?

I would answer the question but it has nothing to do with DStahl's change in what he said was the reason behind the change.

Basically if a politician says to you "vote for me and there will be no new taxes" then he brings forth new taxes once he's elected. And at a town hall meeting someone steps up and asks about the change, do you then question why the person asked about the change? Do you ask the person who questioned, "Would you rather have a sales tax or a property tax?" Do you not hold the politician accountable for his flip flop?

• defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Basically if a politician says to you "vote for me and there will be no new taxes" then he brings forth new taxes once he's elected. And at a town hall meeting someone steps up and asks about the change, do you then question why the person asked about the change? Do you ask the person who questioned, "Would you rather have a sales tax or a property tax?" Do you not hold the politician accountable for his flip flop?

I fail to see the relevance of this, I do see the point you're trying to make though.

My point is, that we are better of with not having a limited and time gated currency (and one that can be bought with real cash) being the one and only currency in game. He may have flip-floped on only having one currency to rule them all, but we are better off.

Uh, yeah... I don't see this going anywhere unless you find that quote you keep ranting about. Given the evidence I have available, I see no reason to beleive the devs ever intended to eliminate all currencies other than dil.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Uh, yeah... I don't see this going anywhere unless you find that quote you keep ranting about. Given the evidence I have available, I see no reason to beleive the devs ever intended to eliminate all currencies other than dil.

you evidence dont hold up ether for the reason there was nothen in them post saying dill will be the money for now till later
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited November 2012

You supplied what D'Angelo said but he wasn't the one who brainchild dilithium. He took over just before it was released. As a matter of fact, DStahl was doing the Podcast rounds talking about what dilithium will and will not do before he left and we even knew D'Angelo would become the EP.

And those quotes didn't say it was temporary. They said those would be the two currencies in the game. Not one said "for now". Or that would have caused people to say, "Why even change it then if this is only temporary?"

• thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It was supposed to be, to reduce all the currencies. Now, they keep removing ways to get it, plus adding in new currencies.

What are they thinking, what is their goals and reasons for this? I don't understand their thinking patterns.

My avatar's expression says it all.
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    What happened was the same thing that always has happened with Cryptic since the game launched: THE PLAN CHANGED...

"The plan changed" and "working as intended" are Cryptic's trademark catch phrases for 2012.

I, too, am fed up with all of the different currencies we see. It would be nice if we could convert romulan marks and fleet credit back into EC or di. It would also be nice if lobi crystals go stored in the invisible wallet where our EC and Dilithium is stored. No, scratch that. Replace dilithium and lobi entirely with GPL. GPL should be the one currency that unifies and binds STO players in the end.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    MMOs do one of two things, change regularly or die....

Change may or may not be good but it is inevitable. In STO, currencies change periodically. And the plans associated with those currencies also change.

Resisting the inexorable changing climate in an MMO is futile.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited November 2012
    MMOs do one of two things, change regularly or die....

Change may or may not be good but it is inevitable. In STO, currencies change periodically. And the plans associated with those currencies also change.

Resisting the inexorable changing climate in an MMO is futile.

Looks up at markhawkman with a sad but hopeful face, "please sir, can I have some more?"

"The grinding wasn't enough, eh!?!??!?" says Markhawkman lifting the ladle to strike the hungry Federation orphan.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
    edited November 2012
    um, seriously? I hate to do a Joker quote, but.... Why so serious?

It's a computer game...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • anonymoose666anonymoose666 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    um, seriously? I hate to do a Joker quote, but.... Why so serious?

It's a computer game...

Looked like a joke to me, which is the complete opposite of serious.
  • tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    starbear wrote: »

Exactly. I think we are forgetting what Currency means.
    cur?ren?cy (k?rn-s, kr-)
    n. pl. cur?ren?cies
    1. Money in any form when in actual use as a medium of exchange, especially circulating paper money.
    2. Transmission from person to person as a medium of exchange.

(BTW Medium of Exchange basically means a system (the medium) allowing trade of items (the exchange).)

The only system in STO that is directly transferable from person to person is EC.

Dilithum, FC, Marks, GPL are only exchangeable for items from the game itself. Any actual trade between parties is very limited as there are only a few items in STO that those currencies can buy that are not bind on pickup. Those currencies really form another system much like the XP system. You put in effort and receive points to allocate sectors for additional abilities. Omega/Romulan Marks are very much a form of XP allocation, I put Marks in to a project to receive a higher ability (or non-tradeable item). At no point can I directly trade Marks to another player making any sort of economic value attached to them almost non-existent.
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
    edited November 2012
    tlamstrike wrote: »
    Exactly. I think we are forgetting what Currency means.

(BTW Medium of Exchange basically means a system (the medium) allowing trade of items (the exchange).)

The only system in STO that is directly transferable from person to person is EC.

Dilithum, FC, Marks, GPL are only exchangeable for items from the game itself. Any actual trade between parties is very limited as there are only a few items in STO that those currencies can buy that are not bind on pickup. Those currencies really form another system much like the XP system. You put in effort and receive points to allocate sectors for additional abilities. Omega/Romulan Marks are very much a form of XP allocation, I put Marks in to a project to receive a higher ability (or non-tradeable item). At no point can I directly trade Marks to another player making any sort of economic value attached to them almost non-existent.

Except that you just proved how dilithium, FC, marks, and GPL fall into the first definition of the word-1. "Money in any form when in actual use as a medium of exchange, especially circulating paper money." It's used as a medium of exchange because we exchange those tokens (whatever you want to call those currencies) for items. Just because we can't trade those currencies to other players, doesn't preclude it from being a currency. It's as simple as there are items on the STO market that are in demand, and we are using some medium of exchange to purchase those items.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
    edited November 2012
    It was supposed to be, to reduce all the currencies. Now, they keep removing ways to get it, plus adding in new currencies.

What are they thinking, what is their goals and reasons for this? I don't understand their thinking patterns.

My avatar's expression says it all.

They may as well left it alone since they are heading back to the same thing they had before. So many things that we have to start using a spreadsheet to know what goes with what.

It was a waste of time and energy converting things to dilithium knowing what we know now.

edited November 2012
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    Except that you just proved how dilithium, FC, marks, and GPL fall into the first definition of the word-1. "Money in any form when in actual use as a medium of exchange, especially circulating paper money." It's used as a medium of exchange because we exchange those tokens (whatever you want to call those currencies) for items. Just because we can't trade those currencies to other players, doesn't preclude it from being a currency. It's as simple as there are items on the STO market that are in demand, and we are using some medium of exchange to purchase those items.

Don't you just love when people use stuff that actually helps you instead of them? :D

• daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    They may as well left it alone since they are heading back to the same thing they had before. So many things that we have to start using a spreadsheet to know what goes with what.

It was a waste of time and energy converting things to dilithium knowing what we know now.

indeed this ^^^^^^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I just find it funny that the one canon currency we have is a joke in the game. Dil is supposed to be super rare, even the flagship of the Federation doesn't carry spare crystals around for backup!

Energy Credits should be for the basic stuff and ships, and GPL should be for the high-end/specialty stuff. (I don't count the reputation system as currency.) And that's all there should be. Dil should not even be a currency.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2012
    Why not merge GPL and Lobi, GPL isn't needed for anything anymore, they are both Ferengi currencies, allow us to convert GPL to Lobi in the same way as Dil to Zen, maybe the same rates as well.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I just find it funny that the one canon currency we have is a joke in the game. Dil is supposed to be super rare, even the flagship of the Federation doesn't carry spare crystals around for backup!

It doesn't need to.
    Since Star Trek IV they can regenerate Dil Crystals.
  • darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited November 2012
    I will let you guys into a little secret. Currency consolidation was not to help the game by making it easier with less currencies. It was to simply rob the playerbase of any saved up currency they earned in that system.
    It has happened twice now, and each time has robbed us of more than the previous!

The first was the great Emblem robbery where the top 10% were the only ones to be mostly affected.

The second was the latest Borg currency into Marks that will be forever known as the the Great Dilthium Robbery.
    Nearly everyone was affected this time, and had their hard earned currency stolen unless you were wise enough to cash it in prior to it going live.

Cryptic likes to cover it up with a lie saying look at the new content etc, but the real reason is to just make sure everyone starts from zero again....
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I have no complaints about currency ;P

What about the exchange, you want to kill that too ?

Albeit I will say for the people doing fleet stuff, going for lockboxes and doing 2 rep's, I will admit there is a lot to do...
    edited November 2012
    darkenzedd wrote: »
    I will let you guys into a little secret. Currency consolidation was not to help the game by making it easier with less currencies. It was to simply rob the playerbase of any saved up currency they earned in that system.
    It has happened twice now, and each time has robbed us of more than the previous!

The first was the great Emblem robbery where the top 10% were the only ones to be mostly affected.

The second was the latest Borg currency into Marks that will be forever known as the the Great Dilthium Robbery.
    Nearly everyone was affected this time, and had their hard earned currency stolen unless you were wise enough to cash it in prior to it going live.

Cryptic likes to cover it up with a lie saying look at the new content etc, but the real reason is to just make sure everyone starts from zero again....

That is not really a well-kept secret. ;)

• puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    its only a matter of time before they have some sort of way to purchase all the various marks (omega, romulan, fleet, etc.) through the zen store..

they wont directly sell it, but we will either get some sort of exchange, or they will start putting it in the duty officer packs or soemthing..

u can always spot a pay to win player as they have all the latest stuff and maxed out on endgame equipment, but usually they are the first to TRIBBLE it all up. lol...

my problem with adding all the marks is it made this game too grindy. there are very few missions if any at all that give you more than one kind of currency *stf's come to mind. i can get dilithium and omega marks..

the problem is say i have a 4 hour window to play say half the week. so ill round up to be fair and say 4 days. to keep up with the changes, and to keep up with the other players, i have to log on, do the romulan daily's to get my romulan marks, theres about an hour there, then i have to do some stf's to get omega marks and i get some dilithium out of it.. to max my dilithium now i have to run quite a few, so lets say 2.5 hrs worth. (that is the most efficient way as i can get 2 currencies at once) now i need fleet marks so i can get fleet credits. (since the payout on dilithium and fleet credits is much higher than anything else, again, being efficient). assuming there is a fleet mark event up. i have run at least 3 or 4 fleet missions to get enouph to make it worth while..

what sucks about this is i spend less time playing in the foundry, or running missions with my friends and fleeties (sure they will do the stf's with me and what not, but the point is that i play a game, not log on to upkeep for 4 hrs. i dont mind a game having rules that i have to fallow, its what makes a game, however, i do not like being told where and when i spend my time. pre s7, i found myself logging on almost every day, my fleet and freinds and i had found events and what not we liked doing.. since s7, i find myself not caring weather i log on, this isnt an i quit rant as i wont quit, but so far s7 has detached me from the game.
    edited November 2012
    misterde3 wrote: »
    It doesn't need to.
    Since Star Trek IV they can regenerate Dil Crystals.
    Yeah, they're still expensive though. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing