test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 7 Foundry Maintenance Timeline

Comments

• doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Heres a radical idea Cryptic. How about taking the Foundry down 2-3 weeks BEFORE the launch of a new season! You guys look incompetent every time you do this. Announce a cutoff day to play and create/edit missions. Then spend those weeks replublishing and testing foundry with the newest season's code and have the Foundry fully ready on RELEASE DAY of a new season. Its like you guys enjoy letting your foundry author/player customers down every new season.
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • mrdarksabremrdarksabre Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    That's what I fear is going to happen. But realistically I think it will be 15-20 minute missions. Either way, the Foundry is going to die. And I for one, don't care if it does.

Now this post just really annoyed me. If you don't like the Foundry then fine, don't use it, at no point in the game are you forced to interact with it. However, a significant amount of the playerbase are in fact interested in playing or creating Foundry missions, and if what they enjoy does not negatively impact you, then they should be allowed to continue.

Your allowed not to care about the Foundry, but I must ask then why you would go out of your way to make that opinion known on a thread where the Foundry's survival is the main topic.
    Krovennan Darksabre: Commanding officer of the U.S.S. Blacksabre-E NX-973484-E

I earned my Vet rewards with commitment, not cash.
  • neos472neos472 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    That's what I fear is going to happen. But realistically I think it will be 15-20 minute missions. Either way, the Foundry is going to die. And I for one, don't care if it does.

sir that is really rude i like the foundry the fact that it is down does make me sad since i have been wanting to play some foundry missions since S7 came out but i can wait and i can understand why it could take up to 2 weeks for all of the missions to be republished: there are so many mission on the foundry.

Simply put we will have to wait. I am sad not getting to play foundry mission and be wowed by player creativity but hey that's how the cookie crumbles.
    manipulator of time and long time space traveler
  • numbdreamernumbdreamer Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I love the foundry missions! Best content there is in my humble opinion. I even play the 2-3 hr missions sometimes, but most of the time I pick the shorter ones.

I hope the foundry's back online soon
  • koihimenakamurakoihimenakamura Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Heres a radical idea Cryptic. How about taking the Foundry down 2-3 weeks BEFORE the launch of a new season! You guys look incompetent every time you do this. Announce a cutoff day to play and create/edit missions. Then spend those weeks replublishing and testing foundry with the newest season's code and have the Foundry fully ready on RELEASE DAY of a new season. Its like you guys enjoy letting your foundry author/player customers down every new season.

Uh. No, they don't. And no, that'd work only if you want a new season to be delayed by a few months. For those of us who rarely play foundry missions, you'd annoy .. well, us.
  • allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Now this post just really annoyed me. If you don't like the Foundry then fine, don't use it, at no point in the game are you forced to interact with it. However, a significant amount of the playerbase are in fact interested in playing or creating Foundry missions, and if what they enjoy does not negatively impact you, then they should be allowed to continue.

Your allowed not to care about the Foundry, but I must ask then why you would go out of your way to make that opinion known on a thread where the Foundry's survival is the main topic.
    neos472 wrote: »
    sir that is really rude i like the foundry the fact that it is down does make me sad since i have been wanting to play some foundry missions since S7 came out but i can wait and i can understand why it could take up to 2 weeks for all of the missions to be republished: there are so many mission on the foundry.

Simply put we will have to wait. I am sad not getting to play foundry mission and be wowed by player creativity but hey that's how the cookie crumbles.

I never once said that I hate the Foundry. I enjoy playing the missions that you guys make on there. I however do not care for missions that are wall of text missions that take me 2 hours to complete. Those are not fun. 15-20 minute missions are what I play most days, when they were up. I know you all put time and effort into these things and appreciate all of them. But, if it is going to come down to the point that those are the only missions that we can play for our dillithium, then I will stop playing them all together.
  • amahoodamahood Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012

<Put's on Diplomat Coat> Ahem... First , let me start out by saying, that allyoftheforce and mrdarksabre and indeed everybody here:

Let us remember that we are all a part of Starfleet or the KDF. We all enjoy this game. If we did not we would not play it obviously, and we would not get so passionate about talking about it.

allyoftheforce, I agree with your post, you did not say that you did not hate the Foundry. And also, too that I would not want to play a Foundry mission that took over 30 minutes as well, you are correct.

mrdarksabre,
    I agree with your post as well, that people who have negative opinions about somthing such as the Foundry, do not need to spread that negativity, You are correct as well.

Yet like all dialogues and conversations, we must be aloud to express our opinion freely without fear that we are not aloud to share our view or feelings. Without this Right, we , as Starfleet or indeed KDF, would never build alliances or indeed come together in any way for such a universe (game) to exist.

Obviously I do not know either of you personally, yet I think I can safely say that you are both (as most of us are), quite passionate and feel strongly and deeply about the game.

It is good to share different view's, to maintain a balance of some kind within our universe (game), yet perhaps it can be suggested, that we be sensitive towards each other and perhaps, if we have offended anybody, we can at least say to each other, "I'm sorry if I did so", and the other party replies with "that's alright".

Then Peace can perhaps bring forth a more productive outcome to this important topic we are discussing.

Also , though I do not know precisely what a "Starfleet Veteran" has done to earn that title, I imagine it was not easy and took alot of time, so I must also say to allyoftheforce, Well Done Admiral!

Anyhow Live Long And Prosper Everyone!

-Aaron
  • smathewsmathew Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Removing foundry missions is bad for players who DON'T have the time to play xx hours each day to reach the dill day cap.
    personally (and i consider me an average player) i have 3 chars ,2 feds and 1 kdf and as it is now i gain around half the max dil each day on each of my toons and i do some stf's and some other pve's for romulan marks.

At least with the foundry missions we got 1,4k dill each day.

Please bring them back soon and please let the community decide what missions will be played (yes even the 1-2 mins ones) ...

Cryptic and PW, foundry missions are a part of the game that the majority of the average gamers who DONT have the will or time to play endless hours on stf's enjoy, bring them back and fast!!
  • qutothqutoth Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Please let us know if the Foundry will be back this week or next.

As this is a short work week in the US, it would be nice to be able to play foundry missions during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.

Happy Holidays!

Path to 2409: Martok made the definitive statement of the Klingon Empire's view of the Romulan Star Empire in 2388. "
    The Klingons will offer no treaty, no aid, and no hand that is not holding a blade"
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I certainly hope it's back soon. I just got an awesome idea for a mission, and I'm itching to get started. :)
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm itching for the return of the Foundry, I have two missions planned out to make, and Investigate Officer Reports is my single most reliable source of Fleet Marks, I'm hurting without it! >_<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • allikitten80allikitten80 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Can we please get an update on the progress of the restoration of the foundry? It has been a week now, since Season 7 launched, and I never expected it to be down this long.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It has been a week now, since Season 7 launched, and I never expected it to be down this long.

You weren't here for Season 6 launch, were you. ;)
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I assume the delay is related to resources being spent on addressing the issues that arose with Season 7, particularly the gamebreaking bugs. If they manage to get a patch out this week then I'm sure we'll see the foundry follow next week (if the automatic republishing itself is not encountering problems).
  • bortjinxbortjinx Member Posts: 397
    edited November 2012
    Aren't they making some changes to the way rewards work in Foundry missions? Given how many missions there are out there, ranging from 3-second click activation to 3-4 hour epic story arcs, is it any wonder it is taking a while?

Each one of those missions will need to be checked to see if matches whatever criteria they are using for the new rewards system.

And all of this is on top of the usual ironing out of bugs.

Take your time devs, and do it right :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2012
    bortjinx wrote: »
    Aren't they making some changes to the way rewards work in Foundry missions? Given how many missions there are out there, ranging from 3-second click activation to 3-4 hour epic story arcs, is it any wonder it is taking a while?

Each one of those missions will need to be checked to see if matches whatever criteria they are using for the new rewards system.

And all of this is on top of the usual ironing out of bugs.

Take your time devs, and do it right :)

There is no new reward system as far as I know. From what has been said, the missions which will grant reward (in that they complete the Investigate Officer Reports) will be the 'featured missions'.

The last time for season 6 it took the better part of a month, so that has nothing to do with the delay.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • xcom43xcom43 Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Can we please have the foundry back please it has been well over a week.:mad::mad:
    The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The second this is back up I'll probably be doing foundry missions exclusively, because once it does I will be thoroughly bored with the rest of the game.

I do hope it's soon.
  • anonymoose666anonymoose666 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    bortjinx wrote: »
    Aren't they making some changes to the way rewards work in Foundry missions?

Not individually, no. They are adding a new foundry spotlight reward, but that is no different than adding any other generic daily reward. They are not doing anything to individual missions, so there is no reason it should be taking this long.
  • davianbradodavianbrado Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited November 2012
    We've reenabled the ability to play Foundry missions! :) Jump in-game now and use your mission journal to find Foundry missions. We hope to have editing/creating back up next week, and then reviewing shorty after that.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • cerberusfilmscerberusfilms Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    We've reenabled the ability to play Foundry missions! :) Jump in-game now and use your mission journal to find Foundry missions. We hope to have editing/creating back up next week, and then reviewing shorty after that.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

YAY I won the bet :D :P
    Foundry Enthusiast
    Machinima Person
    Did some things back in the day

Now a Games Developer and Researcher
  • maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

any word on new doff pack ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    OK, so... the Foundry missions are available again, and this is a good thing.

And the new change, where only some of them qualify for the Officer Reports mission, is now live... and this is, fundamentally, also a good thing, because those "click the panel three times to get dilithium" things were, well, a bit of a cheek.

But... I've just spent more than an hour trying to get through two Foundry missions, and in both cases it wasn't possible, due to a bug - a missing NPC contact in one, a non-responsive waypoint marker in another.

So I had to drop them both, and didn't get to complete my Officer Reports today... which makes me make my "sad puppy" face, and which also makes me wonder if this sort of thing needs to be dealt with.

I mean - it's frustrating for me (because I don't get to finish the story), and it's frustrating for the Foundry developers (because I don't get to see how good their story is, and if reviewing were available, I would be marking them down for having a non-finishable mission), and it's a strong disincentive to using the Foundry, because I only have a limited amount of time to spend on STO, and spending that time on stuff I don't get rewarded for - well, I would be better off doing STFs or hitting New Romulus, wouldn't I?

It does look rather as though some bugs have crept into some Foundry missions, because the two I was trying have been around long enough to collect a substantial number of (mostly positive) reviews, which they wouldn't get if they didn't work.

But this has always been an issue, especially if (as I do) you try the relatively untested missions on the "Review Content" tab... because a lot of those don't work properly. So, you can wind up spending a darn sight more than 15-20 minutes on a Foundry mission, and get nothing out of your efforts, because of bugs, or poor design, making them impossible.

Now, I'm not entirely sure what could be done about this, but I feel inclined to say that Something Should Be Done. Anybody got some constructive ideas as to what?
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Well, you're not getting the cheek, you're now getting the opposite end. Those did serve a nice purpose when one spent all that time and got hit with a bug, they could make up the time on the quick ones. After reading how bugs can TRIBBLE you, no interest in playing Foundry missions now.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    OK, now, enough is enough.

I've just tried three Foundry missions in succession, all of them well-received, with reviews in the tens of thousands... and only one of them was finishable; the other two were both bugged, with NPC objectives or enemy groups vanishing from the maps.

Even if there weren't any gameplay rewards involved (beyond the pleasure of exploring new content), this would still be incredibly frustrating - very little is more frustrating than a story you can't finish or a puzzle you can't solve.

Guys, you seriously need to revisit this maintenance timeline, with a view towards maybe taking the Foundry missions offline again until these bugs are found and killed. That would be my suggestion.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • oneandonlyrecceoneandonlyrecce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I've been trying the "Spotlight" Foundry missions.
    I can't believe that these had been Spotlighted due to the number of problems I've been having.

Objectives not completing. The NPC not turning up. Very laggy. Map / enviroment rendering very laggy, so you see the room being constructed and populated around you.

On "The Longing", I can't even get the 1st "Enter Orbit" objective to complete. Very frustrating.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I recomend avoiding the foundry altogether until it can be fixed.

Just played through my missions.. and.. well... I have npc groups/contacts and a few props going missing.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2012
    I hope you guys realise that bugged Foundry missions is normal after a new season is released. Sadly because Foundry editing is turned off just now, people can't fix their missions, that's why they keep comments disabled for now so people wont rate unfairly on missions which have been broken by the patch and can't be fixed until Thursday at the earliest.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited December 2012
    Hi Captains!

An update for you: In order to resolve the issue with some NPCs disappearing from Foundry missions, we are currently republishing all of the projects on Holodeck.

More updates as they become available :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
This discussion has been closed.