test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sending Tells to Non Friends Bug

c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
edited November 2012 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
I've been playing since F2P launch and tonight while on New Romulus and trying to reply to a Tell I received from another player, I found myself unable to reply via a Tell. When trying to reply to a player I got a message across my screen to the effect of "Cannot send tells to non-friends on a newly created account". I tested by trying to send tells to other players that weren't on my friends list and got the same thing.

The wording of the error message above may not be exact because I'm typing this from memory... But I guess you devs know where I'm coming from? Right? ;)

Anyway... this is the very first time since I started playing STO that I've received this error message. I've never had a problem sending a tell to a non-friend before. Therefore, it must be a bug!

My account is far from "New" considering I have 4 lvl 50 toons and 4 more well on their way to the max level. And as I said, I've been playing since F2P launch.

I would be very grateful if you could look into this because it is very difficult at the moment to help people on New Romulus with accolade hunting etc. by not being able to reply to their Tells.

Thanks in advance!

@c0nd1t10nr3d

PS: I've yet to try and send tells to non-friends outside of New Romulus. I have a feeling that the error is confined to that system. As I said, I've never experienced it before.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Just tested again after exiting the game and back.

I still can't send tells to non-friends on New Romulus. However, I can send tells to non-friends while on ESD.
  • Options
    endafreshendafresh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    You should only be able to send PMs (tells) to people on your friends list if it is a new account. After 20 hours or so (I forget the exact number) it unlocks your account for zone chat and so on.

Something might've been borked on your end so experiment to figure out what's goin on.
  • Options
    snovernsnovern Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Another, though unlikely, possibility is that the people you were trying to send tells to had set strict Privacy Settings.

You can take a look at the possible privacy settings through the following steps:
    1) 'o' hotkey (or open Social UI)
    2) Navigate to the "Search" tab across the top
    3) Click the "Privacy" button at the bottom right

I've met players that could trade me, but I couldn't trade them. These privacy settings are the best reason I can come up with for why such 1-sided situations would occur (other than the 20-hour probationary period).

Of course, if the tells issue you are describing does end up being confined to New Romulus, then these privacy settings could just be getting screwed up for random players when visiting New Romulus.