test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Are we ready to pay for mission pack DLC?

erraberrab Member Posts: 1,432 Arc User
Greetings all,

I posed this question to the forums well over a year ago and it was pretty much panned at that time so I thought I?d bring it up again and see what the perception is on the idea this time.

Here?s a quick break down:

Let?s say that Cryptic offers a quality series of missions or a block of one off missions that scaled to the level of the player and could be run whenever we chose to run them and were tailored to both factions.

Let?s say that the DLC also included a new Bridge Officer (perhaps someone from the story contained in the missions) and new DLC exclusive equipment and Doffs and perhaps even Ships.

Let?s say that the asking price for these new DLC was setup like this:

$15.00 for F2P

$5.00 for Lifetime and Gold subscription holders

The above is just a very rough outline but I?m sure it presents the general idea that I?m trying to get across.

ATM STO offers very little incentive to hold a membership and the above idea would help out a bit in that area.

I know that most are already saying ?members should not have to pay extra for game content? but come on we all know that that ship has long since sailed.

I don?t think anything else will ever be added to STO unless it can be seen has profitable to PWE and I fear that it also includes regular non foundry created missions and story driven content.

I has a Lifer since open beta really do not mind the idea of paying for content has long has the content is enjoyable and worth the price I?m being asked to pay for it.

Thanks for your time!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by errab on

Comments

• Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited November 2012
    There are no current plans to charge players for missions -- PWE and Cryptic's general F2P gameplay philosophy is that missions are free. This philosophy can be found currently through all Cryptic and PWE games.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This idea would work anywhere BUT here. Fact is, this game is screaming for content as it is. Making people pay for content would cause an absolutely MASSIVE uproar, especially on the Klingon side. Yes, we need content. But we don't need to PAY for content.
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    There are no current plans to charge players for missions -- PWE and Cryptic's general F2P gameplay philosophy is that missions are free. This philosophy can be found currently through all Cryptic and PWE games.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

and I personaly love that about Cryptic.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    bugshubugshu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Paying for missions has been a major gripe in Champions and Lord of the Rings Online.

I think this is where you draw the line. If you are going to be f2p then you need to allow any player to play any mission. Of course buying boxes has worked for Lord of the Rings and Guildwars and is acceptable. I like the guildwars model where they force people to buy a box and then go f2p for the rest. Lord of the Rings Im iffy about. Champions is awful in pay for content. It will be really interesting to see how Star Wars does it as they allow you to play popular missions a few times a week but not unlimited times unless you are gold or pay by the month. Star Wars botched their subscription plan and ticked everybody off but otherwise they did a few things right.

Its hard for game companies to tell players hey come try us we are free to play and then find ways to raise money and pay for the game. Rationing content is not the best way to overcome these challenges in my opinion. Nor is pay to win. I really like how League of Legends does it and I guess many agree. Of course it makes it easier when you have 32 million registrations and 5-7 million people playing daily.

I bought more STO boxes than I care to admit and a lifetime also and the last straw would be if they decided to charge me to play new content. I wouldnt be overly happy at being told I couldnt play missions with people because they spent less than I did.

Many have pointed out many good things they could charge for and make money with but new content isnt one of them. Especially when they took the millions we invested in this game and spent it building new content for NWN.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    There are no current plans to charge players for missions -- PWE and Cryptic's general F2P gameplay philosophy is that missions are free.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Thanks for the response flakes!

I?ve heard that PWE position on game content is a no charge approach; however, I need to know if this also includes non-grinding content has well?

I?ve been begging for new story progress missions and new story arcs for STO for quite some time now and it?s getting harder and harder to wait for it.

Thanks again
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    errab wrote: »
    Thanks for the response flakes!

I?ve heard that PWE position on game content is a no charge approach; however, I need to know if this also includes non-grinding content has well?

I?ve been begging for new story progress missions and new story arcs for STO for quite some time now and it?s getting harder and harder to wait for it.

Thanks again

PWE acquired Cryptic in 2011. Earlier this year, we released a 5-arc Feature Episode series, "The 2800". It was completely free to all players.
    bugshu wrote: »
    Paying for missions has been a major gripe in Champions...

"Was", not "has been" :) Adventure and Comic Packs became free as part of the Cryptic/ PWE integration.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    if im paying this much for ships and lockboxes i would happily pay for some content, but i do love that the content is free and the fluff is not. i think thats the right way to do it.
  • Options
    thomas12255thomas12255 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The fact that all content is playable for free in STO is one of the reasons I recommend it to other people, it is the best F2P MMO around in this regard.
    [SIGPIC]http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Thomas45-STO.png[/SIGPIC]

{UFP}Thomas45 - Thomas Nixon U.S.S. Majesty Unbound
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 924 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    A big "hell to the no" to paid content updates. It's one of the things that turned me off to DCUO. I so wanted to play with a Green Lantern type character....but I'll be thrice damned before I pay for the privilege of playing the type of character I wanna play....

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It was brought up a couple of times that people would pay for an expansion if it really added tons of new content.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Well nobody can complain about Free. But seems things are slow with expanding STO, like it's a little bit at a time, if you know what I mean. Could you imagine if you opened up areas of the Galaxy with enough content that kept people busy for months without repeating the same missions over and over? That be the cats meow.
  • Options
    sean2448sean2448 Member Posts: 815 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    season 8 will have featured episodes
    possibly kdf content
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    As much as I don't "get" why they don't have paid content, yes I would pay for it.
    But cryptic doesn't need kdf money judging by the # of kdf ships in the game in the last two years so it isn't going to happen.

It confuses me why paid content isn't an option for at least a little while.
    For example a 5 part fe series on the same quality as the romulan series for, I don't know, 20$. But announce it will be free in 3 months if you dot have the money.
    I would still pay the 20$'s And cryptic can still say that all their content is free!
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    seekerkorhilseekerkorhil Member Posts: 472
    edited November 2012
    PWE and Cryptic's general F2P gameplay philosophy is that missions are free. This philosophy can be found currently through all Cryptic and PWE games.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Funny last time I checked Champions Online was run by Cryptic and you DID have to use c-store credits to do special mission chains unless you were a gold member.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Funny last time I checked Champions Online was run by Cryptic and you DID have to use c-store credits to do special mission chains unless you were a gold member.

I commented about that here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=6635611&postcount=7

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 924 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Pretty sure he emphasized "was". Since the PWE merger all content has been free to download and play. For as greedy as people think PWE to be, I don't think they'd allow paid content anyway.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • Options
    direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012

I see no mission/quest content in the Champions Online C-Store.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    It was brought up a couple of times that people would pay for an expansion if it really added tons of new content.

Well nobody can complain about Free. But seems things are slow with expanding STO, like it's a little bit at a time, if you know what I mean. Could you imagine if you opened up areas of the Galaxy with enough content that kept people busy for months without repeating the same missions over and over? That be the cats meow.

Agreed,

The type of content that I looking for shows up maybe once a year.

What about new missions that fit in with the Fed missions that we used to level our Toons with the 1st time out in STO, will we ever see missions like those again?

I know that we have foundry missions but Foundry missions just do not fill the void for me.

The Klingon Alpha mission was a great one off mission and I'd love to see more Cryptic made missions like it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    overlapooverlapo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Content gated behind a paywall is a terrible idea. It divides the community, and makes the good thing of the f2p model (more people to play with) irrelevant. I suffered enough of this when I was playing Dungeon and Dragons Online, with f2p players dropping without warning when trying to get into a premium quest, leaving a party short and delaying the whole thing until a new member could be recruited into the party.

One of the best things about the F2P model of STO is that they had the wisdom to learn from the mistakes of other F2P games. A 50 level player can play the same content, no matter if it is "silver", "silver former gold" or "gold". And despite what naysayers and entitlement queens might say, this is a good thing.
  • Options
    cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

The problem with this philosophy is it ends up meaning you give us sweet FA mission content. We have to pay for ships so you manage to bash them out en masse, we have to pay for lockbox stuff so you bash them out en masse, we don't have to pay for mission content so... we get "adventure zones"... It's a nice philosophy, but it's implemented in such a way as to make it even worse than a philosophy of making people pay for said content.
  • Options
    blevokblevok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    paying for the type of missions that cryptic has written wouldn't work. while there have been a handfull of good missions, i'd say the majority aren't very fun or interesting. if i don't want to play them for free, i'm certainly not going to pay to play them, knowing that there's maybe a ten percent chance that they'll be any good. lots of people would feel ripped off when they find that its just more of the same.

however there is one area where it would probably work well... canon missions. this is something that is almost completely lacking in sto. the 2800 missions is probably the only set of missions that has truely captivated me, because it's so closely related to canon events. but it mostly wore off after playing them once when i realized that it was just a good idea wrapped in more of the same... run a million miles, fight a million mini-battles, scan a million things, etc.

i want truely well though out ways to play through iconic events in star trek history. i want to mine the wormhole, i want to fight alien TRIBBLE's, i want to destroy the xindi weapon, and i want to retake chintoka...etc.

from what i can recall from reading the foundry tos a while back, it looked like there cant be anything too canon in-game because cryptic doesn't want to pay licensing fees on additions to the game. but charging per play for the licensed content seems like a perfect way to make it work. something like $2.99 for a series of missions that represents a multi-part episode, with replays costing like 49 cents. or a monthly subscription for like $10 for the canon missions, with one new series guaranteed each month.

this kind of content selling wouldn't have worked before, but now that the game is f2p, and we have the ability to only pay for what we want to pay for, i think it would be easy for cryptic to pull it off, and make it very successful.

so please, make it so, and i'll pay cash money for it...
    Fleet: Stargate-Union
    Pizza: Pepperoni
    Kalek shel'tek!

"Do not make me look foolish by allowing yourself to be murdered" -Lord Yu
  • Options
    thef0xguythef0xguy Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    cormoran wrote: »
    The problem with this philosophy is it ends up meaning you give us sweet FA mission content. We have to pay for ships so you manage to bash them out en masse, we have to pay for lockbox stuff so you bash them out en masse, we don't have to pay for mission content so... we get "adventure zones"... It's a nice philosophy, but it's implemented in such a way as to make it even worse than a philosophy of making people pay for said content.

This is correct. Whatever they are making money from is what gets the majority of their focus. And since mission content is free, it is few and far between.
  • Options
    blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I read somewhere that STO has deep pocket players and many in game collectors.

I beleive paying for FA would and could work, as this crowd is willing to spend cash.

Look at all the ships flying around that requires cash.

That said, I would vote for Cryptic to offer pay 2 play millions if it reduced the grinds.

All the current changes to increase grind for Dilithium is to get more people to buy it.

Why can they not offer more ways to generate revenue, its only smart business.
    download.jpg
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Guys, be grateful that we get what we get! I haven't seen anything wrong with them using ships as a way for them to make money. Being able to play content for free is what makes STO great!

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Guys, be grateful that we get what we get! I haven't seen anything wrong with them using ships as a way for them to make money. Being able to play content for free is what makes STO great!
    I disagree, being able to play content for free is what's causing us to have to wait so long for said content. I'd be a hell of a lot more grateful (and spend a hell of a lot more money) if I was able to buy a steady stream of FE's.
  • Options
    shaddam01shaddam01 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I disagree, being able to play content for free is what's causing us to have to wait so long for said content. I'd be a hell of a lot more grateful (and spend a hell of a lot more money) if I was able to buy a steady stream of FE's.

100% agree
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited November 2012

this 1000 time ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited November 2012

I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in my thinking.

Sure I'm glad that we don't have to pay for the content that we're getting but I ask you outside of the last FE arc what content has been added to STO that anyone would be willing to pay for?

If it's seen has profitable I'm sure Pay for Play content would be added to STO.

It seems like story driven mission (non grind) content takes much longer to create than the fluff and fill we've been getting.

Well I'm off to consult the Rules of Acquisition :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited November 2012

I'm sure it has nothing to do with players burning though missions faster than cryptic can put out.

or FE that takes them a while to make, but takes us minutes to complete, then we are at square one again waiting.

Which is why they make these long kinds of goals, most MMO's have these.

Even if you paid them to make missions and that's how they make more money....what's to stop them from just cutting and pasting the new missions even more.

Throwing money at the missions is not going to get them faster, it's easier for the ship dev team to make ships, than it is to make missions and story, unless you want them to go hmmm we are getting lots of money for missions....lets just throw missions at them as crappy and quick to get money, and no thought on how they go to get as much money as we can....then the forums will riot...bla bla Cryptic I'm not paying for these crappy missions that are the same and not thought out etc.

As for content we got plenty of content, it's just not content some people want, but some others like it...so they can't please everyone.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    There are no current plans to charge players for missions --

ha ha

i heard that kind of LAWYER TALK plenty times before from Cryptic and usually it takes about 2 - 4 weeks until such a plan suddenly pops up from somewhere, right after such a statement was made.

BRACE FOR IMPACT!

/50% sarcasm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]