test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What Happened To Dilithium Being Our One Currency, Stahl?

darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
Back when we had all those different marks converted to dilithium, DStahl said that this new dilithium would be our one true currency we'd need in the game. A few months later, we get lobi, Omega, and Romulan now. We get fleet marks and fleet credits.

It's like we're going back in time without using the slingshot method. Heck, we can't even style with a DeLorean doing it.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
Post edited by darthstormstrike on

Comments

• daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Back when we had all those different marks converted to dilithium, DStahl said that this new dilithium would be our one true currency we'd need in the game. A few months later, we get lobi, Omega, and Romulan now. We get fleet marks and fleet credits.

It's like we're going back in time without using the slingshot method. Heck, we can't even style with a DeLorean doing it.

1000 time this since this was said we now have the new romulan / omega marks fleet marks flleet credits lobi

starting to think there is a mitt romney at the head of cryptic both flip flop
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • solomacesolomace Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Did you believe him?

I could see through all that maybelline.;)

"Judge me by record" was something you said years ago Dan. Yep, still judging.

Vanilla Ice has a better one:P
    Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
    edited November 2012
    solomace wrote: »
    Did you believe him?

I could see through all that maybelline.;)

"Judge me by record" was something you said years ago Dan. Yep, still judging.

Vanilla Ice has a better one:P

sooo very funny but yet so true to
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The game only really has 5 currencies right now, EC, GPL, Dil, Lobi, and FC. The various flavors of marks aren't true currencies any more than Contraband is....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • kingdoxykingdoxy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I should really copy N paste this some place so I can break it out every time someone complains about too much currency.

If we only had Dilithium as a currency then the game would be P2W and no one wants that. I could spend my monthly stipend score 78000 dilthium each month and own the poor silver players who would need to grind for 9+ days to keep up with what I get for free.

I know what your thinking: "But Kingdox I'm an LTS you wouldn't pwn me....."

Notice there are people who spend 100+ bucks to get one lock box ship? Imagine if they spent all that cash on Dilithium. Do you think you would have any hope keeping up with them if EVERYTHING in the game could be purchased with dilithium?
  • dilbartdilbart Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    kingdoxy wrote: »
    I should really copy N paste this some place so I can break it out every time someone complains about too much currency.

If we only had Dilithium as a currency then the game would be P2W and no one wants that. I could spend my monthly stipend score 78000 dilthium each month and own the poor silver players who would need to grind for 9+ days to keep up with what I get for free.

Notice there are people who spend 100+ bucks to get one lock box ship? Imagine if they spent all that cash on Dilithium. Do you think you would have any hope keeping up with them if EVERYTHING in the game could be purchased with dilithium?

Say the 8000 refining cap is still in place. I'd bet you'd get a LOT less than 78000 with your stipend.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Please provide a quote where they said it would be the one true currency? The elimination of marks was only to condense the level gated currency (marks) we had and introduce a non-tradable & throttled currency for a new economy.
    edited November 2012
    jkstocbr wrote: »
    Please provide a quote where they said it would be the one true currency? The elimination of marks was only to condense the level gated currency (marks) we had and introduce a non-tradable & throttled currency for a new economy.

ummm where wher you per season 5 its was all over this forums
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited November 2012

I am specifically going by how things have changed in DStahl's stance apparently from the day dilithium was brought into the game. It wasn't here at launch. It replaced a few marks we had. Now we're going back to the multiple currencies method we had back then.

So it's just a flip flop I'm addressing.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
    edited November 2012
    dilbart wrote: »
    Say the 8000 refining cap is still in place. I'd bet you'd get a LOT less than 78000 with your stipend.

Not sure where my math is off:

500 Zen Stipend * 157 Dil (basic market price) = 78500.

And the Dil you get from Zen is already refined. You don't have to re-refine it, so the 8000 Dil cap is moot.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Quoted for truth.

While a lot of currencies can be complicated and bizarre, having multiple currencies is to prevent bored rich players from using the "I win" credit card. They have to do this. Particularly since this is no longer a Pay to Play game.

And that's a decision I am okay with.

What I am not okay with, is that all currencies are not worth earning. Multiple currencies are fine, it's just when they are not created equally, then we start to have problems.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2012

And the Dil you get from Zen is already refined. You don't have to re-refine it, so the 8000 Dil cap is moot.

This is true as well.
  • dilbartdilbart Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited November 2012

500 Zen * 50 Dil (adjusted market price) = 25000

explanation: People will want more Zen for their Dil as its worth more. Unless Cryptic sells Dill directly...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    jkstocbr wrote: »

It was said all over the place in these forums when dilithium was bring brought in. And the site. Now I am not going to search through millions of posts under a fake user name "Archived Post" to find it. If this was the old forums we could search by his name. But alas, we can't. If you don't remember it or didn't see the many times it was said, then sorry about your luck.

edited November 2012
    daan2006 wrote: »
    ummm where wher you per season 5 its was all over this forums
    I was in the foundry... :p

But jkstocbr is correct. Dil was introduced to REDUCE the number of currencies not to compress everything into 1 currency.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited November 2012
    Quoted for truth.

While a lot of currencies can be complicated and bizarre, having multiple currencies is to prevent bored rich players from using the "I win" credit card. They have to do this. Particularly since this is no longer a Pay to Play game.

And that's a decision I am okay with.

What I am not okay with, is that all currencies are not worth earning. Multiple currencies are fine, it's just when they are not created equally, then we start to have problems.
    I agree. GPL is not worth much right now. It's good to have some for the handful of doff missions that need it, but nothing that you buy with GPL is actually worth using.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited November 2012

What world do you live in that 50 Dil gets you 1 Zen? Even if the Dil market does take a hit from the changes. The STF changes aren't going to be as bad as originally projected. And trust me folks so far have found ways to make Dil in season 7.

So it's just a flip flop I'm addressing.

If you're going to get mad every time a business makes change in their original decision you're going to have crappy life. Dan doesn't own STO, PWE does. Business back track and "readjust" all the time. Its like Apple telling the Beatles they won't get into the music industry. Business changes their mind about stuff all the time. So try to not be so mad about it.
    edited November 2012
    I was in the foundry... :p

But jkstocbr is correct. Dil was introduced to REDUCE the number of currencies not to compress everything into 1 currency.

then like he asked of the OP i ask the same of him link plz
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited November 2012
    What world do you live in that 50 Dil gets you 1 Zen? Even if the Dil market does take a hit from the changes. The STF changes aren't going to be as bad as originally projected. And trust me folks so far have found ways to make Dil in season 7.

If you're going to get mad every time a business makes change in their original decision you're going to have crappy life. Dan doesn't own STO, PWE does. Business back track and "readjust" all the time. Its like Apple telling the Beatles they won't get into the music industry. Business changes their mind about stuff all the time. So try to not be so mad about it.

then tell that to all the QQers crying there dill was takeing away
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • willy01pwewilly01pwe Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The one true currency in Star Trek Online and the only currency that dstahl and the PWE overlords are concerned with is the currency they receive when you use your credit cards to buy Zen points.

Everything else is to distract the players so they will enter their credit card info...
    --
    No Star Trek Series went past Season 7.

Will Star Trek Online survive Season 7?
    edited November 2012
    willy01pwe wrote: »
    The one true currency in Star Trek Online and the only currency that dstahl and the PWE overlords are concerned with is the currency they receive when you use your credit cards to buy Zen points.

Everything else is to distract the players so they will enter their credit card info...

This we can't deny.

edited November 2012
    daan2006 wrote: »
    then like he asked of the OP i ask the same of him link plz
    Here's some Stuff d'Angelo posted about it:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=242552
    http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?name=sto-node-2638
    http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?name=sto-node-2657

here's something related: http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?name=sto-node-2653

I like this quote: "I have told the team that it?s better to be quiet than to post answers that turn out to be different from what we actually end up doing. Misinformation can be worse than silence in some cases."
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • izdubar6izdubar6 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Do you think you would have any hope keeping up with them if EVERYTHING in the game could be purchased with dilithium?

Everything at endgame is now tied to dilithium.
  • graysockgraysock Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited November 2012

explanation: People will want more Zen for their Dil as its worth more. Unless Cryptic sells Dill directly...

where can I get this rates please? :)
    edited November 2012
    izdubar6 wrote: »
    Everything at endgame is now tied to dilithium.

I thought they removed the dilithium requirments from the reputation systems. Even then its again it tied to Dilithium, you still need Fleet marks or some other currency to get end game gear. You just can't buy with with ONLY dilithum.
    edited November 2012
    Here's some Stuff d'Angelo posted about it:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=242552
    http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?name=sto-node-2638
    http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?name=sto-node-2657

here's something related: http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?name=sto-node-2653

I like this quote: "I have told the team that it?s better to be quiet than to post answers that turn out to be different from what we actually end up doing. Misinformation can be worse than silence in some cases."

Stahl left not too much before S5. So he was around for the build up. You linked that clown D'Angelo who only served the purpose that showed us how much Stahl actually wasn't that bad. As a matter of fact, S5 was released not long after Stahl left.

But link 1, what was the point? That was about the conversion process.

Link 2 helps me actually even though it's a different person saying something else. But mentions how the game will now only have 2 currencies of EC and dilithium. So now we're going back towards pre-S5. Thanks for posting that.

edited November 2012
    Stahl left not too much before S5. So he was around for the build up. You linked that clown D'Angelo who only served the purpose that showed us how much Stahl actually wasn't that bad. As a matter of fact, S5 was released not long after Stahl left.

Link 2 helps me actually even though it's a different person saying something else. But mentions how the game will now only have 2 currencies of EC and dilithium. So now we're going back towards pre-S5. Thanks for posting that.

1000 times this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i now know 3 flip floper :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    What happened to the one currency?

Just a ruse to explain why they were doing away with marks and emblems and what ever else got combined so they could redo the system into something that they could better manipulate to their advantage.

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
    edited November 2012

He talks about how they were trying to improve the balance of the in game economy by merging a giant stack of currencies into one.
    Really? Are you SURE you actually read those? ALL three were posted by D'Angelo. The second one does NOT say anywhere that the ONLY currencies would be Dil and EC. In fact the only place where it mentions EC is the first paragraph of "Other Notes" where it mentions that all game functions that used to use Starfleet Merits or the old Marks would now use either EC or Dil. It said nowhere that those were the ONLY currencies.

"One Currency to Rule them all" is a myth. If it was actually true then the Dil conversion would have given everyone EC and dil would never have been part of the game at all.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited November 2012
    He talks about how they were trying to improve the balance of the in game economy by merging a giant stack of currencies into one.Really? Are you SURE you actually read those? ALL three were posted by D'Angelo. The second one does NOT say anywhere that the ONLY currencies would be Dil and EC. In fact the only place where it mentions EC is the first paragraph of "Other Notes" where it mentions that all game functions that used to use Starfleet Merits or the old Marks would now use either EC or Dil. It said nowhere that those were the ONLY currencies.

"One Currency to Rule them all" is a myth. If it was actually true then the Dil conversion would have given everyone EC and dil would never have been part of the game at all.

If I said D'Angelo made the comment then sure. But as said many times, it was DStahl. I even remember him saying it on a podcast that I am trying to hunt down prior to his leaving. And the second did say they were going to the 2 currency of EC and Dilithium by D'Angelo. But again, we're not talking about what D'Angelo said because he's not EP anymore. And glad he's not because he was the bottom of the three this game has had. Now if you want to make a thread about that hack, go for it. This thread is about Stahl the former at the time he made the comments about the then upcoming conversion and current EP. Nice trying to deflect this into a thread about that hack D'Angelo.