test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

It's such a shame

johhannejohhanne Member Posts: 41 Arc User
In many ways this has been the best season launch yet - technically the server has been stable - I even got to play yesterday which to be honest I wasn't expecting. New Romulus is beautiful, many of the new missions are fun.

But it's all been overshadowed by the great dilithium snatch. Players should be talking about the great new content. Instead Cryptic has caused angry and upset players complaining - justifiably - about dilithium and in a stroke made their 'end game content' irrelevant.

It just didn't have to be this way. It really didn't.

Why?

Jo
Post edited by johhanne on

Comments

• stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Cryptic's operating philosophy:

If we don't find a way to infuriate our playerbase, we did something wrong.
  • adon333adon333 Member Posts: 304
    edited November 2012
    There end game content is rehashed and worthless GARBAGE. It prolly took them 2 hours to make during snack time and they removed all rewards for it as well.. they didnt even have a reward system or loot table to balance. lol Working for this company must be a joke, noone ever does ANYTHING.

New fake IP breaking, Fed copy pasted content Romulus is garbage as well. All rehashed laziness thrown together like grandmas 17 layer leftover 17 day meatloaf.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    johhanne wrote: »
    in Many Ways This Has Been The Best Season Launch Yet - Technically The Server Has Been Stable - I Even Got To Play Yesterday Which To Be Honest I Wasn't Expecting. New Romulus Is Beautiful, Many Of The New Missions Are Fun.

But It's All Been Overshadowed By The Great Dilithium Snatch. Players Should Be Talking About The Great New Content. Instead Cryptic Has Caused Angry And Upset Players Complaining - Justifiably - About Dilithium And In A Stroke Made Their 'end Game Content' Irrelevant.

It Just Didn't Have To Be This Way. It Really Didn't.

Why?

Jo

Qft

Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    adon333 wrote: »
    There end game content is rehashed and worthless GARBAGE. It prolly took them 2 hours to make during snack time and they removed all rewards for it as well.. they didnt even have a reward system or loot table to balance. lol Working for this company must be a joke, noone ever does ANYTHING.

ROFL

Sure glad I wasn't drinkin anything when I read this (so is my computer)
    :D
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    In many ways this has been the best season launch yet - technically the server has been stable - I even got to play yesterday which to be honest I wasn't expecting. New Romulus is beautiful, many of the new missions are fun.

But it's all been overshadowed by the great dilithium snatch. Players should be talking about the great new content. Instead Cryptic has caused angry and upset players complaining - justifiably - about dilithium and in a stroke made their 'end game content' irrelevant.

Why?

Jo

I support this post.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    New Romulus and the new STFs (haven't played all of them) are all incredible on a gameplay and technical standpoint. They're all new things that we haven't seen before, definitely not stuff that only took a lunch break to build.
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • adon333adon333 Member Posts: 304
    edited November 2012
    zorbane wrote: »
    New Romulus and the new STFs (haven't played all of them) are all incredible on a gameplay and technical standpoint. They're all new things that we haven't seen before, definitely not stuff that only took a lunch break to build.

Sorry.... 2 lunch breaks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Season 7 is the most disappointed I ever been with Cryptic. I swear that they are intentionally trying to shut the game down so they can move on to Neverwinter. They didn't just nerf Dilithum income, they completely DEVASTATED it!

Honestly, Cryptic / Perfect World just shot themselves in the foot and blew it off.
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    .... great dilithium snatch......

I can usually have fun with snatch but this new grind has me liking the fact that my STO-citement to play has been lackluster of late.

I can handle grinding mind you though I think this recent turn of events is too much and is an attempt to once again control the economy that got away from them.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Season after season they screwed up their base thinking they will get another type of player. Unfortunately I have seen the same posts 7 times already... people complaining of how dissatisfied they are with a new season patch. PvP, ground play and now STFs tie with the Dilithium inflation are the ugly step children of Cryptic...what did expect? Their main focus is to make your virtual life full of TRIBBLE time after time....:mad:
    DUwNP.gif

• crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Somehow, according to DStahl, the new system is supposed to put more dilithium in our banks. I'm not seeing it.
  • erraberrab Member Posts: 1,434 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I?m kind of glad that I don?t really play this MMO anymore after the latest Cryptic stunt.

I was trying to get myself in the mood to give STO a try again when season 7 went live but I could not keep myself logged in for more than 20 minutes.

STF?s were the only way I ever earned Dilithium and now if I wanted to play and needed Dilithium I?d be forced to run into Fleet Actions that I never enjoyed doing since their introduction!

If this no Dilithium for STF?s ?is working has intended? Cryptic needs to man up and let it be known.

I think the biggest problem that I have is that if it turns out that was always what Cryptic intended to do with STF?s and Dilithium then they once again told us all a bold faced lie that they?d only be reducing the Dilithium payouts on Normal and Elite STF?s.

Time after Time Cryptic never ceases to disappoint me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Cryptic's operating philosophy:

If we don't find a way to infuriate our playerbase, we did something wrong.

^^^^ This exactly. They're always looking for ways to anger the playerbase, but not so much that they cause everybody to rage quit.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Hehe I think its funny that a thread that was pointing out that the new additions are being forgotten over the dilithium change has turned into another thread complaining about the dilithium change.
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • izdubar6izdubar6 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    ^^^^ This exactly. They're always looking for ways to anger the playerbase, but not so much that they cause everybody to rage quit.

Oh I think they found it.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    crusty8mac wrote: »
    Somehow, according to DStahl, the new system is supposed to put more dilithium in our banks. I'm not seeing it.

Maybe he meant their banks? :rolleyes:
    zorbane wrote: »
    Hehe I think its funny that a thread that was pointing out that the new additions are being forgotten over the dilithium change has turned into another thread complaining about the dilithium change.

Oh so the new Dilithum change is good for us?
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    yes geting rocks is so fun!!!!!!!!!!1
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Maybe he meant their banks? :rolleyes:

Oh so the new Dilithum change is good for us?

Cryptic wants you to spend all-day in their game. It's supposed to be your second or third job is how they do things.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • willy01pwewilly01pwe Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Season 7 is the most disappointed I ever been with Cryptic. I swear that they are intentionally trying to shut the game down so they can move on to Neverwinter. They didn't just nerf Dilithum income, they completely DEVASTATED it!

Honestly, Cryptic / Perfect World just shot themselves in the foot and blew it off.

They lost at least one long time, used to be loyal, gold subscriber since day 1 of launch (33+ months uninterrupted, 1015+ days the old fashioned way not grandfathered in during the $200 LTS money grab promo). Yep, I canceled my subscription after seeing the mess that Season 7 is. Sad, really because I wanted to play through my third anniversary in Feb 2013. Oh well.

And get this: most games make you jump through hoops to cancel your subscription, wanting you to fill out surveys which usually ask stuff like what % chance that you will return (0%) etc. In Star Trek Online, I clicked a button and the green "Active Subscription" text on my Account page went red showing that I canceled, and that was that. No survey, not even a link to leave feedback.

It took me 30 minutes to find a link to feedback and it wasn't a Cryptic or STO specific page, it was on the PWE page, and we all know THEY don't care as long as your credit card was valid during your most recent billing cycle or Zen purchase. Well, those two things won't happen again.
    --
    No Star Trek Series went past Season 7.

Will Star Trek Online survive Season 7?
  • rayusrayus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Agreed. I wanted to be excited for Season 7, and I really was when it was all heresay, rumors and hints of whats to come. When I saw the reality of it, I was quite dissapointed.

A new season all about story content? Great! Oh.. no episodes? Just more grind & queue events? :(

New STF(s)? Awesome! I've been waiting for the Hive for over 2 years now. But, with rewards nerfed across the board, and no real cohesive story behind it all anymore, I can't even find the motivation to log in and play through it.

Then you have the dilithium devastation being discussed here, which is just icing on the cake, and the final nail in the coffin of my S7 excitement...

I do like the new sector block, and that there is atleast more variety in the ever growing grind, but it's a far cry from what I envisioned after hearing what Season 7 was going to be all about (I was even thinking small, being used to the "normal" in past releases). New Romulus is a beautiful map, but the content within has failed to captivate me in the slightest.

Here's hoping 8 will be better. Until then, I'll be struggling to find a reason to log in as usual. I guess I just have much more fun in games that offer more immersive story, in game rewards, and proper motivation to keep going. STO doesn't offer much of that at all, anymore, unless I'm missing something. :confused:
  • dastahldastahl Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Why?

Jo

I completely agree with this and it is one of the primary reasons why we are reversing our decision about Dilithium. Players should be having fun with Season 7 - it is awesome - not worrying about Dilithium.

Thank you (and everyone else) for speaking up about this. It means a lot to us.
  • bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    dastahl wrote: »
    I completely agree with this and it is one of the primary reasons why we are reversing our decision about Dilithium. Players should be having fun with Season 7 - it is awesome - not worrying about Dilithium.

I'm sorry and I really don't want to be snarky but we have already gone over this two weeks ago http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=424701 and then you changed your mind.

You need to do something to get back player confidence. Something beyond changing your mind again.
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Season 7 has been a mess.

Bugs are rife and Cryptic are already having to look at this STF Dil problem after the streams of negative comments turned up on here, and it won't be surprising to me if they just hack in some barely functional solution and leave it at that - or just nerf something else in the process and get people angry again.

At this point they can do no right, they are damned if they attempt to fix things and certainly damned if they don't bother. I certainly don't envy their position.

If they last until season 8 they're gonna need to pull something pretty special out of the bag to earn some small slither of respect back from players, a feat made harder considering it is supposed to finally be the KDF overhaul they have been promising forever.

Sad thing is it would have been far more successful if they didn't rush to get this out before the 13th, and if they were upfront about the Dil change and managed to snip the problem in the bud before release.
  • diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Dan, I do appreciate the new content. I played a lot of New Romulus stuff last night, and I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. However the changes to the Dilithium currency have basically made it next to impossible for me to continue advancing my fleet projects. I just can't make enough of it. The last day of season 6 I made 10,000 Dilithium Ore, and refined 8000. The first day of season 7 I made 4000 Dilithium Ore. I don't have time to grind Marks (both Fleet and Romulan, not even attempting Omega Force yet) and Dilithium, and yet suddenly I need significantly more of both.

I am in a small fleet. Currently, I am about the only person actively working on the Starbase (and now the Embassy). I can't afford to recruit DOFFs any more. It was already bad enough with having to split my Dilithium between Starbase projects, and the special project we have going. Now I need it to recruit, advance the embassy, etc, etc, etc.

Please reconsider these additional fees. They are killing all sense of progress for me, and I suspect, many others who are in my position.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • captyoung01captyoung01 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    errab wrote: »
    I?m kind of glad that I don?t really play this MMO anymore after the latest Cryptic stunt.

I was trying to get myself in the mood to give STO a try again when season 7 went live but I could not keep myself logged in for more than 20 minutes.

STF?s were the only way I ever earned Dilithium and now if I wanted to play and needed Dilithium I?d be forced to run into Fleet Actions that I never enjoyed doing since their introduction!

If this no Dilithium for STF?s ?is working has intended? Cryptic needs to man up and let it be known.

I think the biggest problem that I have is that if it turns out that was always what Cryptic intended to do with STF?s and Dilithium then they once again told us all a bold faced lie that they?d only be reducing the Dilithium payouts on Normal and Elite STF?s.

Time after Time Cryptic never ceases to disappoint me.

Much like you I participated in the STF's for the dilithium and the loot. The dilithium to earn my cap for the day and the loot to turn in for EC's. I don't like nor do I want to praticipate in the Fleet Actions, it just not what I built my ships for.

I hear tell, that Stahl now tells us the Dilithium will be put back into the STF's, 480 normal and 960 elite. . But what about the loot?

Maybe most of you don't really care for the loot/gear at the finish of an STF and that's fine. But it was mostly my only way to make EC in game. Not all of us can pump $100.00 a week on the game you know.
  • captyoung01captyoung01 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    diotw wrote: »
    Dan, I do appreciate the new content. I played a lot of New Romulus stuff last night, and I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. However the changes to the Dilithium currency have basically made it next to impossible for me to continue advancing my fleet projects. I just can't make enough of it. The last day of season 6 I made 10,000 Dilithium Ore, and refined 8000. The first day of season 7 I made 4000 Dilithium Ore. I don't have time to grind Marks (both Fleet and Romulan, not even attempting Omega Force yet) and Dilithium, and yet suddenly I need significantly more of both.

I am in a small fleet. Currently, I am about the only person actively working on the Starbase (and now the Embassy). I can't afford to recruit DOFFs any more. It was already bad enough with having to split my Dilithium between Starbase projects, and the special project we have going. Now I need it to recruit, advance the embassy, etc, etc, etc.

Please reconsider these additional fees. They are killing all sense of progress for me, and I suspect, many others who are in my position.

Well on that note. Yes the progress of many small fleets will be haulted by the new season and its new system. Didn't anyone think about this before pushing a new season? obviously not. .
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Much like you I participated in the STF's for the dilithium and the loot. The dilithium to earn my cap for the day and the loot to turn in for EC's. I don't like nor do I want to praticipate in the Fleet Actions, it just not what I built my ships for.

I hear tell, that Stahl now tells us the Dilithium will be put back into the STF's, 480 normal and 960 elite. . But what about the loot?

Maybe most of you don't really care for the loot/gear at the finish of an STF and that's fine. But it was mostly my only way to make EC in game. Not all of us can pump $100.00 a week on the game you know.

I kinda agree. It's far less important than dilithium to me, but it was still nice to get a purple Acc*2 phaser DHCs once in a while.

(Another victim of Season 7.)
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • dilbartdilbart Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    coupaholic wrote: »
    Season 7 has been a mess.

Bugs are rife and Cryptic are already having to look at this STF Dil problem after the streams of negative comments turned up on here, and it won't be surprising to me if they just hack in some barely functional solution and leave it at that - or just nerf something else in the process and get people angry again.

At this point they can do no right, they are damned if they attempt to fix things and certainly damned if they don't bother. I certainly don't envy their position.

If they last until season 8 they're gonna need to pull something pretty special out of the bag to earn some small slither of respect back from players, a feat made harder considering it is supposed to finally be the KDF overhaul they have been promising forever.

Sad thing is it would have been far more successful if they didn't rush to get this out before the 13th, and if they were upfront about the Dil change and managed to snip the problem in the bud before release.

What's hilarious is they had ample feedback in the Tribble discussion forum.

They see 10 threads that praise New Romulus and they think everything's sunshine and butterflies but neglect the 200+ post thread on Doff grinder prices and Dilithium nerfs.

This is just a complete PR disaster right now. 80% of the threads on the first page of Discussion and Feedback are negative.

Somebody needs to be fired.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012

I don't want to harsh you mellow, but the problem really is deeper than just a few missions and their payouts. It's your whole design document for dilithium. If I didn't know better it's a copypasta from another type of game for a different kind of audience. But that's besides the point, it's ultimately a type of social engineering that rarely succeeds, even more so in a game that has been limping along for 2+ years. You've got a playerbase that is used to the game being a certain way, that meshed well with their busy adult lifestyle. Thinking that people have to grind for 4 hours a day in a certain way before they can think of having fun is a complete failure in game design and doesn't serve your customers well. STO is a good game, but it's not good enough to enforce a grueling grind on players. Season 6 was rough for my small fleet, but we took it as a challenge. Your changes to Season 7 saw my fleet disband.

Things you should do to fix things:

Don't be so anal about how/when/where people get dilithium. Instead of removing, you should be adding sources. The 8k cap for refining should be all you ever need.

Your metrics only tell you part of the story of what your customers are doing. Half of all MMO players are over 30. How many of your players are over 30 and have busy lives?

There is a useless quest on the player starbase that gives a measly 5 fleet marks. Up the payout to 50 fleet marks and 1440 dilithium. It's not an instant payout, it gives people the baseline they had before, and it gives the starbase a function instead of it being a resource wormhole and occasional store.
    edited November 2012
    dilbart wrote: »
    They see 10 threads that praise New Romulus and they think everything's sunshine and butterflies but neglect the 200+ post thread on Doff grinder prices and Dilithium nerfs.

You see that a lot with game developers. Lots of people warned Bioware/EA that there were serious problems with SWTOR -- no one listened. And now it's a $200million failwhale going F2P. It's pretty amazing though since it's direct customer feedback which some companies pay thousands to get.