test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dilithium Changes and their Consequences.

maliusnightmaliusnight Member Posts: 30 Arc User
http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=747851

So you grasp that this change means STF are not going to be run?

We were told it would be kept at 940 on the test server, but according to this diary the lack of Dilithium rewards from STF is not a bug but in fact working as intended.

STFers will simply get the needed omega marks to finish out their rep and then stop running them. 1000 Dilithium for 10 elite runs? That is just not going to be enough dilithium to keep players involved. Even with 50 marks becoming 500 its still not enough especially given that theres going to be a cool down involved in those conversions.

With Dilithium costs already rising between Star Bases, two reps to raise, and an Embassy, we could spend every ore we refine and now the hardest missions in the game no longer return a sustainable amount of dilithium. This isn't going to work.
Post edited by maliusnight on

Comments

• matridunadan1matridunadan1 Member Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The STO team has consistently ensured that there is enough missions and systems in the game that any player should be able to earn 8000 Dilithium per day if they focus on Dilithium based missions for about 4 hours. By the way, the average level 50 player plays approximately 3.5 hours on a given day.

That's nice. That means the average level 50 player has -0.5 hours a day to play any actual story missions, foundry missions, social events and other non-dilithium events. New Romulus comes to mind. STFs, too.

Such a BRILLIANT and "thoughtful" design strategy.

That was sarcasm, by the way.
  • commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    There is just so much doublespeak and illogical and irrational arguments in that dev blog is just blurs the mind. There are so many points where their view of how they want things to work are highly skewed to how they actually function in the game environment to the player. I am too tired this evening to even begin making a counter-argument.

This being said it is at least satisfying to see them admit now that dilithium is not a true time based currency as it was told to us it would be and as they intended it to be. Dan has gone from saying it was a "time-based currency" in the state of the game thread, to now it is a "time-based currency for select content".

Here are just a few of the major items I cherry picked out in one pass of reading:

It appears 1 BNP = 2 EDCs, where 10 EDCs used to give you 1440 dil, now you only get 1000. Also, in 2+ months when we get to tier five we can earn more, just not now. You know how burned out people will be running these same missions ad infinitum? Burned out enough where that 50 OM for 500 dil will not be used by the majority of the playerbase. So, very clever way to remove dilithium without really removing it...put it behind a huge time barrier.

You cannot equate the in game 5-Officer DOFF pack to the C-Store packs because the in game pack only gives you 5 Officers with rares and very rares at a very low probability. You will mostly get whites and if you are luck, very luck 2-3 greens. The C-Store packs are a different beast, in that, they offer 7 officers, 1 will be green or better, and 1 will be blue or better. The C-Store packs offer guarantees the in-game packs do not. The C-Store packs also have a higher chance of dropping Blues and Purples in general.
  • vaernminavaernmina Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I dont think they thought this through very well. If Dilithium becomes more rare then the price per Zen will go down as those people who were previously selling dilithium stop doing so.
  • maliusnightmaliusnight Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Your math is off 1 BNP=100 dil (1/10*1000). Basically an elite run is now worth somewhere between 600-700 dil after the use of two cool downs.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    That's nice. That means the average level 50 player has -0.5 hours a day to play any actual story missions, foundry missions, social events and other non-dilithium events. New Romulus comes to mind. STFs, too.

LOL. And when you add in this quote...
    Prior to Season 7, the average amount of Dilithium refined by an active level 50 player was 3100 per session...
    That means the average player was playing for 3.5hrs and only making 3100 Dil. If you assume that they were doing nothing but Dil grinding then we should have an increase in overall Dil production, right?

But I would bet 'active players' were making that 3100 at a faster rate than the 2000/hr they propose for S7. So the 'active' player was actually PLAYING (aka not grinding) during their 3.5hrs. Assuming players keep the same ratio of playing to grinding, we are going to see a huge decrease in Dil production. The complete opposite to what Cryptic thinks is going to happen.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • admiralq1732admiralq1732 Member Posts: 1,561 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    yes, already a gold member is saying he's quitting. And after playing the new STF and New Romulus I was greatly dissapointed. I will be playing less soon and I will NOT give them anymore of my money.
  • pwefailpwefail Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    agreed stfs are going to die,just like my love of the game.
    so sto is destined to die in season 7 like all trek before it ?
    The player formerly known as Chunter.
  • endafreshendafresh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I love developer blogs. I've been studying game design theory in my spare time (along with watching several Extra Credits videos) and have come to the conclusion that a disappointingly large majority of game designers have no damn clue how to do their job properly.

You know how people say the 'good old days' of 'retro games' were better? That isn't just nostalgia talking. Older games were indeed made BETTER because the design philosophies behind them were more well thought out.

Lemme give you a quick and funny easy example.

I love those videos. It breaks it down and lets everyone know just how terribad things are for most games today. Some are really good but the 'blockbuster' mentality of the AAA industry (and MMOs) has resulted in a profit > fun motive.

There's also the design forum, including extensive methodology behind the game design systems of Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6. Read them (or skim them) and learn more about why things are so terrible for so many games now.

When your design is based upon abusing Skinner-box techniques to extract profit instead of designing a fun experience, there are deep and disturbing sacrifices to be made (the current S7 grind).

God help us if the Chinese Ferengi had been involved in the design of Skinner-Box games back in the home console days. >_>
  • megacharge07megacharge07 Member Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Indeed, if you havent already, you might want to sign this petition.

http://www.change.org/petitions/perfect-world-entertainment-cryptic-studios-star-trek-online-return-to-the-previous-dilithium-reward-consoles-drops-for-stf-s
    tumblr_mt0cmzAQpC1rm3hhlo2_500.gif
  • vx989vx989 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I wonder how many pm's, posts and emails Cryptic have gotten that pretty much say:

"Dear Cryptic thank you for making yet another stupid decision, proving you are still a bunch of morons who seem to only care about TRIBBLE over the players that actually play your game.

Yours,

The Player Base."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pwefailpwefail Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    What i can't get my head around is the fact that the rep/romulan stores require dilithium to buy from....but the missions to get the rep marks don't reward dilithium.
    So whilst a player plays all the shiny new romulus "content" he'll have no dilithium to buy anything with.
    Stupid stupid stupid.
    The player formerly known as Chunter.
  • drewfromoregondrewfromoregon Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    pwefail wrote: »
    What i can't get my head around is the fact that the rep/romulan stores require dilithium to buy from....but the missions to get the rep marks don't reward dilithium.
    So whilst a player plays all the shiny new romulus "content" he'll have no dilithium to buy anything with.
    Stupid stupid stupid.

Actually, it's Genius!..if you're a Ferengi who's forgotten rule of acquisition #57 ("Good customers are as rare as latinum -- treasure them")

Look, gamedevs, if you're being so greedy even a fictional race that basically worships greed would say you've taken things too far, you're doing something horrifyingly wrong.
  • defcon1776defcon1776 Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    agreed stfs are going to die,just like my love of the game.
    so sto is destined to die in season 7 like all trek before it ?

I commented on this very note somewhere in these forums pre season...

Probably tho they are going by thr PT Barnum theory of entertainment:
    'There's a sucker born every minute.'
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." Q
    Join the 44th Fleet. [FED and KDF] Apply Online: startrek.44thfleet.com
  • pveheropvehero Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    the rep/romulan stores require dilithium to buy from....but the missions to get the rep marks don't reward dilithium.

^^ this... is the epitome of stupidity...

"Hey, Dili is a time-currency! You play the game, and you get Dili! Except, uhm.. you don't get any dili for playing the fun parts of the game....or from the new parts.... if you want Dili, we have some busted old content you got sick of a year ago, that rewards Dili... now go grind and don't bother me!"

mind-numbing...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • maliusnightmaliusnight Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    As a point if you go through the patch notes, it never actually says they removed the dilithium reward from STFs. Which makes it a stealth nerf. Which is no surprise but there it is.
  • cotp0maurafeycotp0maurafey Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2012

=== You are so right, I want to spend my time farming for Dilithium and nothing else for 4 hours a day. Um, Phook that, not happening. STO is dying, someone please save it.
    Covenant of the Phoenix - Fed | Covenant of the Phoenix - KDF www.cotp.info

“What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite.” —Bertrand Russell
  • williammarshaelwilliammarshael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I got a few words for the Devs after their changes.

First: BYE BYE

Second: EVE Online has a a new FREE patch I think I might go check it out.

Third: MechWarrior online is really fun and free I think I'll spend my 4 gaming hours there.

Last: Change STO back and add some real new content/features and I might even come back.

P.S.

You might want to fire the brain child behind Season 7 (just a suggestion).
  • scoustarscoustar Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    You might want to fire the brain child behind Season 7 (just a suggestion).

He's been given a HUGE pay rise
  • ajstonerajstoner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I have been a game-modder for over 15 years and during that time I have noticed a clear trend in the gaming industry toward rampant greed, scape-goating, and demonization (Mega Upload anyone?) It happened in publishing, it happened to films, it happened to music, and now it has happened in video games:

The industry is pioneered by artists, becomes profitable, and is then usurped by the most mindless, soulless beast on Earth: the bean counter. And its not just in creative endeavors linked to commerce either. Every surface has an add plastered on it. Neil degrass Tyson notes in his book, Death by Black Hole, that a major financial company once called him to inquire how they might project their logo on the moon.

All art has been replaced by advertising; all culture with commerce. The direction this game is going in is indicative of the same sickness that permeates human civilization today: Pathological and self-destructive greed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • scoustarscoustar Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    ajstoner wrote: »
    I have been a game-modder for over 15 years... same sickness that permeates human civilization today: Pathological and self-destructive greed.

Epic post, beautifully put.

I can only apologise for removing great chunks of it from the quote to keep my post small.

Any chance you're a secret billionaire who'll buy Cryptic from the evil money hoarders and release the developers to produce content that inspires us to spend? I promise you'll still make a profit from it, just not another billion a week.

Please?
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Basically what I get from that blog is people like me that were constantly spamming elite STFs on many characters and capping 6 characters on dil refinement per day like me or more for some people were the cause of the dil nerf. We apparently aren't supposed to farm dil in ways out of reach of average players because it takes being invited to private match channels to get near 100% success rate. Thing is I can keep spamming fleet actions on multiple characters more then average players too, so if they nerf that they are nerfing something that average players need to earn dil.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    marc8219 wrote: »
    Basically what I get from that blog is people like me that were constantly spamming elite STFs on many characters and capping 6 characters on dil refinement per day like me or more for some people were the cause of the dil nerf. We apparently aren't supposed to farm dil in ways out of reach of average players because it takes being invited to private match channels to get near 100% success rate. Thing is I can keep spamming fleet actions on multiple characters more then average players too, so if they nerf that they are nerfing something that average players need to earn dil.

Or basically...we're being punished for THEIR mistake?
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • sensorghostsensorghost Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The total inequity of this system is becoming more and more clear with every line i read The simple math is, they added or increased Dilithium costs across the board while simultaneously removing the vast majority of common methods to gather Dilithium, and EC to some degree.
  • chuckwolfchuckwolf Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The biggest factor isn't how much dilithium a person can grind the limit is the fact they are limited to 8000 refined dil per day per character. I don't know about you but despite being a lifetime subscriber most of my gameplay is on 1 character.
    I would think the average f2p player who is limited to 2 characters anyway plays much the same. the f2pers make up 75% at least of this games player base. That is people that don't put a single penny into this game as far as real world money, and z-store purchases they make are from earned Dil converted to zen.
    Of which I don't blame them, I did the same before I got my LTS and will continue to do. The problem is now perfect world wants these same players to spend even more of the limited Dilithium they can refine on in game things like fleet ships, doffs now, upgrading doffs, when they were converting same into zen to buy the occasional key for a lockbox, of maybe a doff pack etc.

I think we as players ought to go on strike by undermining their source of dil to zen conversion. by either dropping the dil cost to zen to the absolute minimum so zen/per dil becomes worthless or by maxing the price out so getting enough zen for the average player becomes a pain. This whole game's dil/zen system revolves around the fact that someone paid for the zen that is available on the dilithium exchange. so those players are in effect "buying" z-store purchases for other players. By making z so expensive or so cheap that it throws off the balance of the games economy it might teach Perfect world a lesson.
    @Powerblast in game
  • sensorghostsensorghost Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    chuckwolf wrote: »
    The biggest factor isn't how much dilithium a person can grind the limit is the fact they are limited to 8000 refined dil per day per character. I don't know about you but despite being a lifetime subscriber most of my gameplay is on 1 character.
    I would think the average f2p player who is limited to 2 characters anyway plays much the same. the f2pers make up 75% at least of this games player base. That is people that don't put a single penny into this game as far as real world money, and z-store purchases they make are from earned Dil converted to zen.
    Of which I don't blame them, I did the same before I got my LTS and will continue to do. The problem is now perfect world wants these same players to spend even more of the limited Dilithium they can refine on in game things like fleet ships, doffs now, upgrading doffs, when they were converting same into zen to buy the occasional key for a lockbox, of maybe a doff pack etc.

I think we as players ought to go on strike by undermining their source of dil to zen conversion. by either dropping the dil cost to zen to the absolute minimum so zen/per dil becomes worthless or by maxing the price out so getting enough zen for the average player becomes a pain. This whole game's dil/zen system revolves around the fact that someone paid for the zen that is available on the dilithium exchange. so those players are in effect "buying" z-store purchases for other players. By making z so expensive or so cheap that it throws off the balance of the games economy it might teach Perfect world a lesson.

If I buy 2-4 Character slots outright I'm still considered F2P. If I buy anything outright I'm Still F2P. Its not just the Dil either its the general random Loot awards, it's the ability to generate EC. It affects everything.

I do not want to do the remaining content for Dilithium I in fact hate most of that content for the aggravation of travel, or effort not equalling reward. I want to grind my Dil from STFs when it strikes me to be in the mood to do it.. Simple and straight forward, enjoyable.
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    edited November 2012

I really wish you good luck with this petition. Cryptic has a habit of not "listening to people". If you need help lets go viral with this...my fleet would happily help as well
    DUwNP.gif

• hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I really wish you good luck with this petition. Cryptic has a habit of not "listening to people". If you need help lets go viral with this...my fleet would happily help as well

They're semi-adept at rationalizing. Petitions and message boards are "just disproportionately vocal, minority groups," so there's no reason to pay attention to them.
    :rolleyes:
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I was actually enjoying the game, playing what I wanted to play, and hitting the refining cap making >8k dil a day enjoying elite STFs, before my earnings were kidnapped and held for ransom in a crate.

This change is simply stupid.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fireshot00fireshot00 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The fact of the matter with the new patch is that dilithium farming is very effectively in its entirety being block by the game.

in order to get any amount of dilithium one needs to first level the omega marks system up significantly, which costs EC, which again by the way is being effectively reduced as there are now no sellable drops from STFs, then after that, in order to get 1 id's 8000 dilithium, a player needs to run as many as between 12 and 30 STFs a day because the number of Omega marks seems to defer per run on an unknown formula.

This has several intended and unintended consequences top of which would be a drastic reduce in the amount of EC inflow into the fed side, a blockade on dilithium inflow on the fed side.

The increased difficulty of the STFs, whereas is welcome, means that now public/non communicative players will destroy all public ques for STF elite because either they have not the resources or knowledge to make ships that can survive a single hit from a borg npc, they simply dont care and are trolling the STF.

There are suppose to be alternatives to STFs, unfortunately they are either broken of bugged, eg: Klingon scout force spawn delay has been increased as they npc ships do not respawn until there is no one in sensor range of that spawn point, Starbase 24 kicks player randomly on entry and so does gorn minefield

I am not talking about the Klingon side as I am still new to it.

It looks like either Cryptic/Perfect World find and give a usable solution to dilithium/EC farming on the fed side or the game will die.
  • gralerongraleron Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    You could get a million signatures and nothing will change as long as their metrics (including the most important one of Average Monthly Revenue Per User) say that people have accepted it.
    Vice Admiral Elaron, USS Hard Light