test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 7 Foundry Maintenance Timeline

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited December 2012 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Hi Captains!

The team and I wanted to let you all know about some important information about the Foundry and the launch of Season 7.

Currently, while we republish all missions made prior to launch, all access to the Foundry is off. This includes editing and playing. Once the republish process is complete, we will allow access to playing Foundry missions again. When we do, the ability to review missions will be temporarily disabled since we don't want Foundry authors to suffer from any possible decline in rating caused simply by the Season 7 changes.

We hope to have editing, playing and reviewing back up very shortly, and will provide updates in this thread as they become available. Also, we will be delaying this week's Spotlight on the Foundry until reviewing is back up.

Foundry authors: I made a forum post last week that gave a heads up on some important items -- you can check it out here. If you notice any unexpected issues that are not covered in that post, please let us know by commenting in that thread.

Thanks again and we'll see you in-game!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

UPDATE 1 (11/21 @ 2:21pm PST): We've enabled the ability to play Foundry missions! :) Jump in-game now and use your mission journal to find Foundry missions. We hope to have editing/creating back up next week, and then reviewing shorty after that.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• Options
    sean2448sean2448 Member Posts: 815 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    ouch here come the crying
  • Options
    castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    There will only be tears if the republish failed spectacularly and/or the republished missions are broken spectacularly.

With that said:
    DOOM!!!!!
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Any kind of an estimate on how long republishing will take?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fleetadmcassityfleetadmcassity Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Will the projects we are currently working on be effected? (... unpublished .. erased)

I have a few (unpublished) projects I still need to "tweek".
    Fleet Admiral Cassity
    Delta Fleet
  • Options
    slick97477slick97477 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    lmao... so Season 7 has affectively crashed several parts of the game so instead of postponing they shut that part down and bring the server back up...(kudos there) but however if proper beta testing was done this wouldn't be a problem
    If they make something idiot proof. They will come out with better idiots
  • Options
    markarichmarkarich Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Don't worry, they'll have the foundry up well before your able to even play the new season. I have been patching now for the last 15 minutes and am only up to 2% finished!!! I thought the "pre-patching" was to avoid this. Anyway, I doubt I'll be seeing New Romulus until sometime next week at this rate, much less any foundry missions.

Edit: Oh great, now a timeout and restart. make that 2 weeks....
  • Options
    voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    slick97477 wrote: »
    lmao... so Season 7 has affectively crashed several parts of the game so instead of postponing they shut that part down and bring the server back up...(kudos there) but however if proper beta testing was done this wouldn't be a problem

Actually this time I think it's because they made all the changes to the UI for the foundry missions. With Season 6 there were a lot of coding changes that they made.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    markarich wrote: »
    Don't worry, they'll have the foundry up well before your able to even play the new season. I have been patching now for the last 15 minutes and am only up to 2% finished!!! I thought the "pre-patching" was to avoid this. Anyway, I doubt I'll be seeing New Romulus until sometime next week at this rate, much less any foundry missions.

ROFLMAO mine just re-started also. and ashame all I do is Foundry Mission.
  • Options
    cers001cers001 Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Brandon you said you were going to extend the time for foundry challenge 5, can I suggest that it should be 2 weeks or more cause if the foundry changes in season 7 are anything like season 6 the authors may need at least this amount of time to fix things, cause coordinates form season 5 built foundry maps were not eligible after the season 6 changes, I had a lot of problems with things like door & force field placement and space beacons, asteroid placements things like that.
    CVN-65 U.S.S. Enterprise - A ship so badass it survived John McCain.
  • Options
    daxiii23daxiii23 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    markarich wrote: »

yeah almost zero traffic coming from the patch server
  • Options
    kitsmerkitsmer Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    patching is incredibly slow :(
  • Options
    markarichmarkarich Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    They may be trying to keep the patching rate slow to avoid a mass of people all deluging the game server at once. So they are slowing trickling out the patch little by little to keep only a few new people logging on the the game server at one time. I hope this is the case, because if the patch is this slow just because they were not ready for the amount of people patching; given the additional pre-patch last week, they really dropped the ball on game day.
  • Options
    slick97477slick97477 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It is for me too.. I have a 50 meg download speed on my connection and patching at less than 10 kb.sec right now...If you guys knew there was gonna be such a tremendous strain on the patch server there should be some additional resources and bandwidth available so we can update..also patch server keeps restarting because of the strain on it so you guys need to look at it to troubleshoot what is going on...Could be just the huge strain on it right now but....You never know so please try and look...We want to play Season 7 too
    If i have to wait all day Im not gonna be very happy
    If they make something idiot proof. They will come out with better idiots
  • Options
    duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    too bad. make sure you'll enable turrets as enemies!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    well .. gonna goto bed in a few hours and at this rate of download i might be able to try again tomorrow

feels like the good ol times when the modems were screaming and every bit arriving was celebrated like lindberg crossing the atlantic

things were kinda slow back then ... just saying
  • Options
    txseantxsean Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Grrrr Im on a cable modem, and have been in the downloading new patch process now for a good hour. Not bitchen, just letting you guys know. Things are going sloooowwwwwww
  • Options
    starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    LOL my Patching went into a perment Hault
  • Options
    eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2012
    As expected ... with every season, the foundry is at least 6 weeks offline. 2 weeks no playing, another 4 no editing and reviewing. It was so in Season 4, 5 and 6 as well. That's particularly inconvenient now since the foundry is one of the major features in Season 7 (featured episodes etc).
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • Options
    drphil321drphil321 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    :/ It keeps crashing while updating...
  • Options
    partizan81partizan81 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Any comment on the issue in STFs currently where no dilithium is being awarded?
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    proudly patching since more than 3,5 h
  • Options
    mewimewi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Next up, 3-5 hour missions to complete investigate officer reports (Required)!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    | Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
  • Options
    cers001cers001 Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    just to lets you know cryptic even thou we can't play foundry missions I had one left in my mission log entery the date is are displayed as DD/MM/YYYY here's the screen shot link
    CVN-65 U.S.S. Enterprise - A ship so badass it survived John McCain.
  • Options
    varrvarrvarrvarr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    So can we get more of an ETA on this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2012
    This seems to be taking quite a while, an update on the progress would be appreciated. :)
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    captakiracaptakira Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It is Star Trek Convention San Francisco weekend so don't expect a update until it is over since their offices are located in the South Bay I am sure they all are there.
  • Options
    thef0xguythef0xguy Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I would just like to point out that the entire reason the foundry is still offline is the horrible testing they do before pushing their updates live. Now, before some pleeb says it, of course it is impossible to catch every bug. But that isnt even what I'm talking about.

What I'm talking about is the fact that the foundry update was one of the very last patches to hit tribble before S7 went live, meaning it got very little testing time. Furthermore, there were hardly any foundry missions on tribble to test. They should have copied every single spotlight mission, as well as several dozen random other missions from holodeck to tribble for testing purposes.

And what makes it worse is this is exactly what happened with season 6. They always wait until the last minute to put any foundry changes on tribble, meaning they dont get properly tested before the season launches, which is entirely their own fault. And then they dont even learn from their own previous mistakes.

So again: no, of course it is not possible to catch every bug. However it is possible to test things the right way, and waiting until the last minute is not the right way.
  • Options
    eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2012
    Meow, that's just what I said ... foundry is down after every season patch, and not only a day or two, no ... it's two weeks minimum, usually a month.
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • Options
    amahoodamahood Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    (Still kind of new at this game, though I been playin it for a few months now), and only now have I got real curious bout this foundry thingy.

From what I've been told in the forums, us "silver" or "free-to-play" folk, can create foundry missions as well, (I believe).

So I'm going to give it a go, cause I got some good idea's I'd luv to share for a mission for people on the game. Yet what sucks is that it's not clickable, the "create content", and the reason is obviously because of the new season as I have read here.

Anyone know when we can click on create content yet? I wanna try this foundry stuff out!

-Aaron
  • Options
    allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    mewi wrote: »
    Next up, 3-5 hour missions to complete investigate officer reports (Required)!

That's what I fear is going to happen. But realistically I think it will be 15-20 minute missions. Either way, the Foundry is going to die. And I for one, don't care if it does.
This discussion has been closed.