test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STF Currency Conversion Formula - Revealed!

phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
Hi everyone,

You may remember me for my thread that revealed the dilithium currency conversion formula when Season 5 launched last year. This year we have the Season 7 STF currency conversion in which all Encrypted Data Chips, salvage, tech, and requisitions will be converted to a crate containing various amounts of Omega Marks, Borg Neural Processors, and dilithium ore.

The STF currencies have been converted by assigning them a certain point value:
EDC = 1 point
Rare Borg Salvage = 1 point
Prototype Borg Salvage = 1 point
Common Borg Tech = 2 points
Rare Borg Tech = 4 points
Prototype Borg Tech = 8 points

The total you have is added up and placed in a bin, for various sizes.

Bin 1 (1-4 Points) : 250 OM / 2 BNP
Bin 2 (5-9 Points) : 500 OM / 4 BNP
Bin 3 (10-19 Points) : 1000 OM / 6 BNP
Bin 4 (20-79 Points) : 1500 OM / 8 BNP / 1000 dilithium ore
Bin 5 (80-139 Points) : 2000 OM / 10 BNP / 2000 dilithium ore
Bin 6 (140-199 Points) : 2500 OM / 12 BNP / 3000 dilithium ore
Bin 7 (200-399 Points) : 3000 OM / 14 BNP / 4000 dilithium ore
Bin 8 (400-599 Points) : 3500 OM / 16 BNP / 8000 dilithium ore
Bin 9 (600-799 Points) : 4000 OM / 18 BNP / 16000 dilithium ore
Bin 10 (800-999 Points) : 4500 OM / 20 BNP / 24000 dilithium ore
Bin 11 (1000 & Up Points) : 5000 OM / 22 BNP / 32000 dilithium ore
These will be placed in an "Omega Conversion Crate" that are unlocked at Tier 3 of the Omega Reputation System.

Uncovering this formula took a lot of data mining and I'd like to thank everyone who helped contribute. Given these values, I can understand why Cryptic would not want to release these formulas, but just like with the dilithium conversion, now everyone has access to the information.
Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    rikwesselsrikwessels Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    so 599 points equals 8k dilithium ( do I read that correctly ) ?
  • Options
    pwecanbitemepwecanbiteme Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Well done, sir.

When will devs learn that hiding the numbers is a rather futile exercise (and cowardly) when gamers will crowdsource the answer in short order.
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Thanks for the amazing effort Matt.

It's sad to see Cryptic working us over again ("just like" S5's Dil Conversion).

Oh well. I'm not surprised.

:rolleyes:

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Well done! I applaud the efforts of yourself and all involved.
  • Options
    sekritagentsekritagent Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Yes, extremely well done. This is why I heart you.

I wish they'd just published the formula instead of playing these "oh it depends" games with us. This is really simple, why obfuscate?
    dastahl wrote: »
    - The conversion will be different for everyone which is why we aren't posting a chart. When you get your crate, it will tell your character specifically how much Omega Marks, Borg Neural Processors, and Dilithium your items were converted to. If you are worried that the exchange may not be to your liking, then you'll have to make the call whether to spend or not. For the most part we are posting this blog to give you enough time to make that call for yourself.

What lies this guy tells, huh? Don't trust a word from him, ever. This is an outright and blatant misleading statement delivered by the EP. Really sad.
    Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it! No, seriously! ...Why are you laughing so hard? :(
  • Options
    redstarsweredstarswe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    So cash in everything before S7?
    A contract is a contract...(but only between Ferengi).
  • Options
    sekritagentsekritagent Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Yes, cash out, with extreme prejudice. Here's how.
    Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it! No, seriously! ...Why are you laughing so hard? :(
  • Options
    skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    redstarswe wrote: »
    So cash in everything before S7?

I'm shooting to get to 21 points with EDC. Shouldn;t be too difficult to get them in the time left. If nothing else its more DIl.
  • Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Hi everyone,

You may remember me for my thread that revealed the dilithium currency conversion formula when Season 5 launched last year. This year we have the Season 7 STF currency conversion in which all Encrypted Data Chips,

It's too bad that you're a little late in revealing this information to us, its a great source but revealed way too late. If it was posted a day earlier at a earlier time then we could have thoroughly digest all this juicy info.

Great effort though - and for those that have read this thread during the time it was made, I would digest all the info and act accordingly.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    suprcheezesuprcheeze Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Awesome work, sir. I applaud your efforts.
  • Options
    phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    stark2k wrote: »
    It's too bad that you're a little late in revealing this information to us, its a great source but revealed way too late. If it was posted a day earlier at a earlier time then we could have thoroughly digest all this juicy info.

Great effort though - and for those that have read this thread during the time it was made, I would digest all the info and act accordingly.

Cryptic did not release the conversion crates at all until November 6 (one week before Season 7's release) and even then it was very obvious that it was in everyone's best interest to get as much dilithium from it as possible. I found the conversion as a personal challenge, as a service to the community, for future reference, and to let Cryptic know that if they don't release the data then someone will figure it out.

Personally, I'd suggest everyone cash out their salvage and use their tech on any items he or she may want. I don't see a big need in saving much EDC since the conversion crates cannot be unlocked until Omega Reputation Tier 3 and by then you'll probably have an ample supply of Omega Marks and Borg Neural Processors, as well as a substantial amount of dilithium (with a few weeks of refining, at that).
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
  • Options
    romuzariiromuzarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Yes, extremely well done. This is why I heart you.

I wish they'd just published the formula instead of playing these "oh it depends" games with us. This is really simple, why obfuscate?

What lies this guy tells, huh? Don't trust a word from him, ever. This is an outright and blatant misleading statement delivered by the EP. Really sad.
    I will now translate what he is saying so that all may understand:

"We know we're cutting you guys short but I can't admit it. We want all of you to have to work as much as possible in the new system and giving you a fair conversion would just allow you to skip doing more STFs period(Editors Note: Even though people apparently love the hell out of STFs since they have so many drops laying around but we'll pretend we don't know that - Rom)for all the new gear. If you do this the more likely you'll play less and that would mean less chance of you giving us your money."

He goes on to wish he could just flat out tell us that we're lucky we're getting a conversion at all. They could just switch to the new system period. But that wouldn't be very good PR, anymore than telling us outright what the conversion rates are. At least that's how I would feel when looking at complaints. It's pretty crappy but really what do we expect? They aren't doing this for their health or because they like us. I imagine the amount of players who have enough drops laying around that they could afford a fortune in new STF drops is probably a pretty small number. I'll wager that that number includes mostly paying players in some form and it's in their best interests to keep those people playing and not so much the masses that aren't paying a dime. Otherwise I would say it hurts nothing at all for like 5% of people to get a fair conversion treatment.

So really, you better cash out your stuff and save just enough for 50 or 200 points or whatever. You know, or lose like hundreds of thousands of dil which is not such a good idea. I'd probably rather cash everything out and just refarm STFs because dilithium is becoming damn valuable. And you're going to need the hell out of it really soon. Don't lose all that dil for a measly amount of marks BNPs and dil. But whatev floats your boat, if you're so worried for a so called free ride from T3 to T5 rep.
  • Options
    mikeward1701mikeward1701 Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    SELL! SELL! SELL!

Thanks for the great work, like a nice deus ex machina, it came just in time :)
    Fleet Admiral Ward
    Commander, Starfleet Corps of Engineers • 7th Fleet
    Commanding Officer, U.S.S. HEART OF OAK • NX-1759-B • Odyssey class Star Cruiser ( Lexington Tactical Configuration)
    )
    (Steam - feel free to follow/friend me : )
  • Options
    nikkyvixnikkyvix Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    stark2k wrote: »

It's just in time for me and those like me, at least.

I intentionally held off from cashing out because I was skeptical that the surprises were over. Remembering the ordeal with Marks-to-Dilithium in which we had found early that we'd be losing currency on conversion, many decided to sell right then and there..then were burned when Cryptic announced the Veteran BOffs as a sort of apology to those that were going to be bit the worst.

I didn't put it past Cryptic to make such an eleventh-hour offering, though that eleventh-hour's come and gone and we're about to hit the proverbial midnight. And I have lots of loot to convert.

Thank you, OP. The work of everyone who contributed to this little community project (for it is probably at its core the most interesting community project in a sea of boredom to come along in months) their data points and hours of endless projection and testing is very much appreciated, and being used and disseminated by others as I write this.

Good luck in Season 7.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
    "Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
  • Options
    topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Excellent work!

Looks to me like the sweet spot here is 20 points.

Keep 20 EDCs in your bank for 1500 OM / 8 BNP / 1000 dilithium ore (which seems very fair. It has a market value of 2000 dilithium, so you're getting half that plus 1500 marks and 8 probes. Decent.)

Everything else has been converted into dilithium, and I'm sitting on a stockpile of over 200k unrefined dil which should last me for a while!

I suggest you all do the same :)

EDIT: also the fact that 1 EDC = 1 rare salvage = 1 proto salvage is utterly insane. Completely ridiculous - but there we are. Good thing I had time to log in and convert salvage and leave EDCs. Even by PWE logic 1 rare tech = 40 EDC, but in the conversion 1 rare tech = 4 EDC. Completely insane, but there we are.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • Options
    mrkollinsmrkollins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Thank you sir
    Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    you guys are focusing on the Dil alone. How much dil is 5000 Omega marks worth?

Of course you're going to conclude it's a ripoff if you only focus on the secondary benefits....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    you guys are focusing on the Dil alone. How much dil is 5000 Omega marks worth?

Of course you're going to conclude it's a ripoff if you only focus on the secondary benefits....

You have a point there.

But I think part of it is the pure and simple fact that people are ticked they didn't GIVE the direct, straight out currency conversion rate as they said they would.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Well done to the OP, and thanks. Luckily I'd sold off most of my loot except for edc's which seem to be best used for the conversion. Everything else just sell.

1 Proto tech drop = 8 EDC? Yeah, no.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    obertheromulanobertheromulan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Thank you very much for figuring this out. Very helpful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vornek@oberlerchner123 - Join Date: July 2008
  • Options
    vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Awesome work Phyrexian if anyone were to crack the conversion it would be you :D.
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Mad respect for coming out with the info.

Someone just said something interesting in the zone chat too.

Extra omega marks you can convert to dil under the new system will be worth less than converting now if dilithium takes a dive.
  • Options
    dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This time Cryptic won't rob me. While I got shafted when emblems got changed, it won't happen again. Too bad I already drown in ore, so it only will be good when I no longer play the game and just log in to say Hello...the irony of this.
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • Options
    luxchristianluxchristian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Hi everyone,

Uncovering this formula took a lot of data mining and I'd like to thank everyone who helped contribute. Given these values, I can understand why Cryptic would not want to release these formulas, but just like with the dilithium conversion, now everyone has access to the information.

That was some craptic move from the devs -.-

Sometimes I really want to know how much of this bull**** gets dictacted from PWE. The other times I wish STO would be unrentable, gets shut down and the IP goes to another developper for a new and better StarTrek MMO.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Interesting. Now I see why they didn't want to release the formula, people would have screamed about it. When a company keeps something secret, you can be sure there's a problem about it, otherwise they would brag about it. :P

1 proto tech = 8 EDCs. Nice to see a 1% chance drop, accodring to what Stahl said (which means 100 STFs), is so much rewarding. Please, Cryptic, one of my chars needs a Mk XII engine, can I have one for 8 EDCs? :rolleyes:
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    kingdoxykingdoxy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Fantastic work guys, thanks to everyone who had a part in getting this figured out. The STO community has its problems but very often like this time it will show that in many ways its still miles beyond other gamer communities.

Sold off all my borg tech but saved 20 EDCs. Like others noted that seems to be the best bang for the buck.
  • Options
    the5thchild15the5thchild15 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    There are times when i am quite proud of this community.
    Very nicely done.
    Not revealing these numbers is indeed both useless (your ignorant hamsters (Players) will find out, Cryptic) but also cowardly.

To semiquote a hot russian lady from another franchise : "If they target our wallets, we need to make them understand, they cant run, they cant hide. We keep going." :D

PS :Nerd of the day award to everyone that knows series, episode and name of the chick :P
  • Options
    darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited November 2012
    So, with what I have left, I fall between 20-79 points. I guess id best go sell the rest of my salvage as I dont get anymore above the 20 points ;)

Well done guys, really good we can once again show what liars the devs are....
  • Options
    therealfluffytherealfluffy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I love logging on and find Cryptic with their pants down. Thank you Matthew for making my day! :D
  • Options
    bubblygumsworthbubblygumsworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    **** yeah!! MATH WINS!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I drink, I vote, and I PvP!