test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Solar Wind map is horrible please replace or just eliminate

glassguitarglassguitar Member Posts: 427 Arc User
edited November 2012 in PvP Gameplay
I have a fairly decent graphics card and keep my setting somewhere in the middle. Aside from an occasional lag when every single high graphic special effect is involved (warp plasma, grav well, tyk rift etc. all piled on me) I rarely lag.

The MOMENT Solar Wind PvP map load my FPS drop DRASTICALLY due to the incredible processing needed to display the solar winds dings.

I have noticed the vast majority of people complain about this as well. Sometimes, one or more players decide to just work on doff assignments or something and die fast to get it over with.

This graphic to simulate the solar wind serves NO PURPOSE and only slows down the FPS which is already under pressure in PvP.

Thank you for (hopefully) listening.

(it is lovely to look at but even that is annoying while trying to sort out visual information in a well fought battle through all the noise it provides)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Nooo don't remove it. We already don't have enough maps to play in! I know it sucks that it's laggy, but don't ask them to take it out as they might be daft enough to actually do it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • thishorizonthishorizon Member Posts: 1,158
    edited November 2012
    i say take it out.
  • pveheropvehero Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I say /remove too. The 3 arena maps are pretty much identical as far as gameplay goes. They might as well be empty space, as all the action quickly spirals to the top of the map. I can get a better FX experience a lot of other places in game, between PvP matches.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Drop some spawns in all those exploration maps - and - pull this blight on humanity!

edit: BTW, wasn't there a recent thread suggesting the same thing? And one before that? I'm detecting common theme!
  • shimmerlessshimmerless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If I were Bela Lugosi this map would be my crucifix. If I were Stone Cold "3:16 Says Ah Just Laid Teh Smack Down on Yo' TRIBBLE" Steve Austin, this map would be my debilitating addiction to Milwaukee's Best six packs.

Seriously I break into hives when I see it's loading. F you Solar Wind
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
  • stevehalestevehale Member Posts: 437
    edited November 2012
    I wouldn't miss Solar Wind one bit. I do fear the unintended consequences that often stem from tinkering with the queues though.
  • naffoffpwenaffoffpwe Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    We have far too few maps to play on as it is already, so I would not support removing Solar Wind, unless there were a few new maps coming to replace it.
    The user formerly known as DogsBody.
    Here before PWE (and hopefully) here long after PWE is gone.

What this game needs is PvP, NOT PWE.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pveheropvehero Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Remember back when we could que up for each map seperately.... Solar wind was a quiet place back then! :)

(and that's the only good thing I can think of about that old que system)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aetam1aetam1 Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I don't really have a problem with the map. Although yesterday someone tbr'ed my heal cruiser into the station in the middle. So i was stuck for about 1-2 mins and could not get back into the fight.
    It's really sad for a healer to see your team die while your heals are rdy but you can't reach them because you are stuck :(

My stomach is clear and my mind is full of bacon!
  • murmurhem187murmurhem187 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    never had a problem with the map and dude Ive got a crappy dell:eek: spend more money on pc less on game:rolleyes:

Oh, keep the map its the awesomeness
    Koopa27 -X-treme
  • evilito8evilito8 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This is my favorite map. I've never had any issues with it. It's beautiful. Nvidia cards rule!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Seven of Eleven
    "live long enough to be assimilated, resistance is futile"
  • glassguitarglassguitar Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    evilito8 wrote: »
    This is my favorite map. I've never had any issues with it. It's beautiful. Nvidia cards rule!

I have a very nice NVIDIA card, a 40 MG dedicated line, and more than enough processing speed and RAM. No matter how well your card handles this map, I am sure it lags more than others. IMO a PvP map should have the minimum number of bells and whistles to allow the smoothest gameplay for all.

(note: I am only talking about the actual solar wind graphic dings. That graphic element alone probably uses more resources than the entire rest of the map. The actual map, minus the wind effect is gorgeous. Just the wind itself needs to go ((or be rendered in a way that is way easier to process)) IMO)
    edited November 2012
    naffoffpwe wrote: »
    We have far too few maps to play on as it is already, so I would not support removing Solar Wind, unless there were a few new maps coming to replace it.

We def need a LOT more maps, and more scenario types for those maps. The maps should be simple maps though as far as resource demands go, to enable the players with less than uber systems to go in and have good gameplay.

Important to note that in multi player zones the overall lag can be affected by a lot of things including the lag from other players underpowered system trying to deal with a resource intensive map. How much this affect the STO game engine I do not know. I know that in other games this has a strong enough effect that in one particular game I played, a player could intentionally join the battle with a dial up connection and cause anyone withing viewing range of them to lag as the client tried to update the location etc. of that persons toon.

Maybe I am getting really unlucky with the teams I wind up a part of on this map and that is contributing, I truly do not know, I just know when matches are starting on this map, I usually see at least three people complain about the lag.
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    So if we accept that Solar Wind is 'horrible' what would we replace it with? How would we put a new map in, with the current PVP mechanics, and make it more interesting than what's currently there?
  • stevehalestevehale Member Posts: 437
    edited November 2012
    I know I'm in the minority but I couldn't care less about replacing it or getting a new map. Unless there are elements that can be used strategically it is just window dressing. That being the case, we don't need more than one. I don't know exactly why that map is the 1 of 3 that creates a problem for some but losing it no major loss.
    edited November 2012
    tobar26th wrote: »
    So if we accept that Solar Wind is 'horrible' what would we replace it with? How would we put a new map in, with the current PVP mechanics, and make it more interesting than what's currently there?

How about a Fluidic Space map...?
  • broken1981broken1981 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    wait wtf........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry but i really love the map and i never get lag. just the normal ammount of lag on any map when u have 50 million pets on a screen.
    I can throw [Fireworks] at you and hope you catch on fire and burn to death lol
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    theres always some lag in every map for me, haven't noticed this being any worse. i don't even notice the moving background at all, all i can focus on is the ships flying around.

new C&H- the space map from the 'alpha' mission

new arena- the space map at the beginning of the last story line mission were you go into fluidic space with the diplomat. it had the rings of 2 planets combining, and just looked cool.
    edited November 2012
    new arena- the space map at the beginning of the last story line mission were you go into fluidic space with the diplomat. it had the rings of 2 planets combining, and just looked cool.

Yep, something along those lines would be pretty nifty.
    edited November 2012
    I think when there a few places to hide and a few obstacles to use is when the map gets good. Less is more so to speak. I would really like it if there were a handful of possible strategic elements that were randomly placed each time the PvP map generated.

Something like:

First main element - background

Could be maybe ten different backdrops that look nice. Everything you see there is basically out of the field of combat, just window dressing that makes a base toset the map up in.

second main element - obstacles

These can be anything from disabled or destroyed craft, planetoids, asteroid fields. A certain number would be randomly placed on one half the map then mirrored to the other side. These would need to be put in spots where they were useful for strategy, discouraging everyone from just flying up and away from the map. (all this does is make it take forever to get back to the fight, which is good for the team with the upper hand but really bad for the underdog)

Other than the actual useable elements, the rest of the central portion of the map should be really clean.

On my dream map, being close to the center would present some sort of advantage so neither team would benefit from hanging back. Maybe put some sort of SMALL buff to whichever team has the most control of the middle. (the best map of all to me functionally that we have right now is capture and hold, where you have to stay in the meat of the map to win) It might be extremely hard to program my dream map. I don't know a lot about this game's code and how it works other than what I have used in the foundry, so I am not sure what the devs can do that the foundry can't.

Mostly, what I think all the maps need is to look nice without being cluttered unless the clutter actually is something that get's in the way and so can be used strategically. (you know you love it when you enemy, while trying to get you out from his blind spot, manages to fly face first into a planet) On the Solar Wind map you have a resource intensive graphic that serves no purpose. If we had to avoid those "needles" of Solar Wind or suffer some ill effect and they were in waves that could be avoided, THAT would justify the graphic.
  • gardatgardat Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    You people who say you're getting lag on this map - mind posting your CPU, GPU and RAM so we can see whether or not you're trying to run this on an Intel Xtreme 3000 or an actual gamer card like a GTX680?

Because I love Solar Wind: it looks great and I NEVER get any slowdown or lag.
    486 DX2/66Mhz, 4MB SD-RAM, 16KB L-1 cache, 120MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 2x CD-ROM, 8-Bit Soundblaster Pro, IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard, Microsoft trackball mouse, 256KB S3 graphics chip, 14" VGA CRT monitor, MS-DOS 6.22
    edited November 2012
    EVGA NVIDIA GeoForce GT 610
    4 Gig Processor Quad Core
    8 Gig Ram
    40 MG Dedicated Line

Running game at about half max quality, just high enough to get the shininess on things that should be shiny.

I get excellent performance on every other map. For whatever reason processing all the wind dings on that map I can literally see them ticking along rather than moving smoothly. It seems to me that each ding is a separate graphic element from the way it affects things.

Only other thing I can think of is I am on running vista so it's not using DX11 it's DX9 but according to game spec requirements that shouldn't be a problem, unless the dings are reliant on DX11 somehow.
    edited November 2012
    It's your entry level notebook video card.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-610M.63759.0.html

In short, you need a computer that is actually suited for games and not basic multimedia.
    486 DX2/66Mhz, 4MB SD-RAM, 16KB L-1 cache, 120MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 2x CD-ROM, 8-Bit Soundblaster Pro, IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard, Microsoft trackball mouse, 256KB S3 graphics chip, 14" VGA CRT monitor, MS-DOS 6.22
  • snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Even mid range setups get subpar performance in this game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Last night my machine had such a graphics overload on this map, with no warning there was a heart-wrenching "sigh" from the CPU, and my screen just when dark.

I took from it that the poor thing was exhausted :o Though it took about 4 secs for my mind to register the fact, as I was still frankly banging on the keyboard.
  • zorena#3961 zorena Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Easy fix for people with ati cards
    , go to shadow option put it to none and then disable dynamic lightning.
    Noone.
  • marctraiderzmarctraiderz Member Posts: 539 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Solar Wind, most boring map ever.

I wouldn't cry a tear for removing it.

It's really not the map to blame for the frame drop though, but Cryptic's unoptimized engine. I never ever managed to fully utilize any of my High End hardware with this game in certain areas.
    gardat wrote: »
    You people who say you're getting lag on this map - mind posting your CPU, GPU and RAM so we can see whether or not you're trying to run this on an Intel Xtreme 3000 or an actual gamer card like a GTX680?

Because I love Solar Wind: it looks great and I NEVER get any slowdown or lag.

i7 3770K
    GTX 670

The only way not to get my FPS below 60 is disabling Dynamic Lightning, Shadows, etc.
    Again, unoptimized engine. The UI/HUD drawing process is also bound to two cores at most, and is obsolete compared to other games (Which all have the UI accelerated mostly by the GPU these days.

Lets not begin with the disappearing visual effects that have been happening since the day this game launched.
  • cakeballscakeballs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    snoge00f wrote: »
    Even mid range setups get subpar performance in this game.

2008 computer,
    Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6700
    6 GB memory
    Nvidia GeForce 9500GS

Seriously? This computer is considered subpar. It hasn't been upgraded at all, the memory and everything is still stock.

Either you don't know what you are talking about or you don't have a subpar computer.

I'm sorry, but this map has no problems with me whatsoever. Aside from feeling disoriented when playing it the first time, I have no lag or anything. The 20-fleet players map is still what lags me, but that's it.

This map doesn't need to be touched. Leave it as is. If your computer sucks, then get a new computer. Mine was "average" in 2008, it is considered "old" right now in late 2012.

So in all honesty, your computer isn't subpar. It is terrible.
  • snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    cakeballs wrote: »
    2008 computer,
    Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6700
    6 GB memory
    Nvidia GeForce 9500GS

Seriously? This computer is considered subpar. It hasn't been upgraded at all, the memory and everything is still stock.

Either you don't know what you are talking about or you don't have a subpar computer.

I'm sorry, but this map has no problems with me whatsoever. Aside from feeling disoriented when playing it the first time, I have no lag or anything. The 20-fleet players map is still what lags me, but that's it.

This map doesn't need to be touched. Leave it as is. If your computer sucks, then get a new computer. Mine was "average" in 2008, it is considered "old" right now in late 2012.

So in all honesty, your computer isn't subpar. It is terrible.

I have a GTX 470, and an AMD quad core setup. I have never gotten smooth play out of it. To me smooth means no slowdown when there are a lot of objects on screen, no slowdown in activation of powers.

I have to turn down most options just to get it to feel better. My other games run well (30-40fps or higher at high to max settings)at my native res 1080p. I run Windows 7 64-bit. It's just this damn game that gives me problems.

There were old threads 1.5 years ago that detailed the problems people had with this game and mid to high end cards like 470-570 series cards. Those people got awful performance in the game at anything other than really low settings.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    The (powered down) desktop I store under my desk for data archival purposes was my old gaming tower. It had a Penryn quad core running at 3Ghz and the CPU would still bottleneck performance from the 4870x2 inside.

Even AMD's top of the line latest generation CPUs are significantly slower than i3 or i5 in gaming applications http://www.anandtech.com/show/4955/the-bulldozer-review-amd-fx8150-tested/8

The 470 was never top of its class but it was moderately powerful at the time. You can bet on your CPU holding you back. It does tend to choke on DX11 too http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/nvidia-s-geforce-gtx-480-and-gtx-470-6-months-late-was-it-worth-the-wait-/11