What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is the cost of ships a bit much?

2»

Comments

• richandrewsrichandrews Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    At current exchange rate 8 Weeks of grinding Dilithium = 2500 Zen
    Obviously the amount of time it takes to grind goes up as the exchange fluctuates and as you have to spend refined DI on Starbase etc.

As 2 months isnt a long time to wait for a ship, so I think ship prices are fine as they are.

However I feel there needs to be more "micro transaction" items from cryptic...stuff that costs only a few pounds (maybe not even using ZEN but instead use real world money)!

If you get lots of players each spending a very small amount of money it quickly stacks up and lines PWE's pocket, whilst not leaving a huge dent in gamers wallets.
    I think the EVA suit would have been a good way to sell a cheap item to the masses but instead they charge 700ZEN!

I am a F2P player and so far I have purchased 2 ships for DI, and 1 ship for ZEN (converted from DI) and I am 600ZEN towards my next C-Store ship.
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I am put off by the costs to the KDF playerbase in ship modules.
    It seems that some of our fleet ships should have the Module break as well, even if they are of lessor rank than T5.
    The Ning'Tao exists in the Cstore, so why is it full modules required?
    The Kor'T'inga ( a K'Tinga derived vessel) is in the Cstore, so why is full modules required?
    and the Vor'Lang ( a Vor'cha derived vessel) is in the Cstore, so why is it full modules required?

Seems that Cryptic could cut a break to the unwashed masses of KDF players who purchased these vessels from the Cstore and allow then to buy the fleet designed matches with the single Module purchase.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • praghaspraghas Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I don't think zen store end game ships cost too much, but I think the ones you level on do. If it is a level 10-30 ship, it should be half the price it is now. Each of those ships are only good for 10 levels, which since the leveling changes, is only a few hours. Its hard to spend $10 to $20 on a ship i'm going to disharge after a week or so. The end game ships however are at a good price, especially considering they are account wide.
    Cloaking generators break down at first sign of language.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I agree with the general opinion that ship prices are too high.

I know I'm pretty unlikely to pay $20 per ship per character, no matter what the stats on the thing are.

I might consider paying $5 per ship per character for the fleet version of a C-Store ship I already own, for specific characters. Even that would cut into my budget severely, for more than a single character.

Single character unlocks shouldn't be more than $5-10 on the average and $15 tops, IMO.

I can't understand why Cryptic isn't going for volume pricing in a F2P game. You'd think they'd make more sales and overall profit?

But what do I know about marketing? :D
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This thread wasn't really about Fleet Ships, even though that's what people want to seem to talk about. I agree that $20.00 for a per-character ship is ridiculous; though I have no issue with $20-$25.00 C-Store account-wide ship.

But at the same time it's a free-market system. At the end of the day only Cryptic knows how many $20.00 per-character ships they've sold. And the cost is never going to come down if people are willing to blindly buy them. That's the way a capitalist economy works: if something is too expensive and no one is buying it the cost generally goes down. So really the onus is on the players here to not buy things they think are too expensive.

The only thing Cryptic, PWE, and PW care about are the P&L statements at the end of the month - which is what all businesses care about from Ma and Pa Diner all the way through GE. And the only way you're going to affect change is by affecting that bottom line.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • krylmkrylm Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    They are worth what people will pay for them...and people (including myself) are paying for them. Everybody sees Cryptic as some sort of big goon but look at what they give you versus what they want (notice its want, not make) you to pay for. I'm very happy with the purchases I've made. If you don't like the prices youare very welcome to play the free portion of the game...unless free isn't good enough for you and you want them to pay you to play?

Granted the Fleet Modules are priced in the insane category...but I doubt many people will purchase them and that alone will drive the price down. They want to make money like any other person and they will do what it takes to accomplish that!
  • cptskeeterukcptskeeteruk Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Not sure why ppl say micro transaction in mmo's there is nothing micro about anything over a few quid and 2500 points for a ship is just overkill.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Not sure why ppl say micro transaction in mmo's there is nothing micro about anything over a few quid and 2500 points for a ship is just overkill.
    But what do you think is paying for the costs of F2P???
    edited August 2012
    I get a new ship for free every month, simply from playing 2-3 hours every day. Free is the most Micro you can get. :)

As I said above, somewhere, the price listed in the C-Store is assuming most people aren't playing full-price. Even a guy who only does 8,000 Dilithium per day is making around 1,200 Zen per month; meaning a $25.00 ship only costs them $13.00 - and if you can wait for 2 months to buy it only costs $1.00.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    As I have said many times, part of the reason for the cost of ships, and other items in the C-Store, is due to the fact that it's easy to earn Zen in the game. The average player, earning his 8,000 Dilithium per day can convert that to around $10.00 in Zen per month. That means the $25.00 ship really only costs $15.00 - and if you're a Gold member you get another $5.00 in Zen per month from that, which reduces the cost even further.

Between Stipend and playing I generally earn around 3,000 Zen per month - meaning I have no issues getting a new $20-$25.00 ship per month for free. In fact I have not purchased any Zen on this account in almost 7 months now and currently have over 15,000 Zen. So just by playing people are earning themselves C-Store discounts anywhere between 10% and 100%.

This is definitely an interesting perspective. I have to say I prefer when a Defiant cost 1200CP lol.
    edited August 2012
    tobar26th wrote: »
    This is definitely an interesting perspective. I have to say I prefer when a Defiant cost 1200CP lol.
    The Defiant used to cost $15.00. Now it costs $20.00 and you have an in-game way of getting it for free - or, at least, less then $15.00 it used to cost.

If Dilithium were something difficult to get I could see where the problem is but, virtually, everything we do at VA earns us Dilithium: STFs, PvP, Dailies, Foundry Play, etc. You almost need to intentionally try to not make Dilithium to miss out on it. :)

I used to spend months grinding for Emblems and Marks just to get a free ship: back when you could buy a single-character unlock ship for 500 Emblems. I can now buy anything I want from the C-Store by doing the exact same thing I was doing prior to FTP. What can I say... I prefer the new system. :)
  • yellowalertyellowalert Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    nynik wrote: »
    Another factor is that with the exception of fleet ships, all of the cstore ships are single purchase-account unlocks only. So they only ever get 25 dollars from you for that ship.

Imagine your local green grocer could only ever sell you one melon. Sure you could then claim another melon as a replacement when you ate the one you had before - but how does the green grocer stay in business?

They could probably sell them for cheaper each if they were single unlocks and they were assured that you had some reason to buy them again and again and again.

Considering it is a digital item rather than a physical item, a more correct analogy would be if you paid to download a song/video through iTunes.

If you delete the item or log into your iTunes account somewhere else, you can download the song/video again at no extra cost. Steam games also would be a good example of paying once and being able to access it again if something happens to the original.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kathornnkathornn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    As I have said many times, part of the reason for the cost of ships, and other items in the C-Store, is due to the fact that it's easy to earn Zen in the game. The average player, earning his 8,000 Dilithium per day can convert that to around $10.00 in Zen per month. That means the $25.00 ship really only costs $15.00 - and if you're a Gold member you get another $5.00 in Zen per month from that, which reduces the cost even further.

Between Stipend and playing I generally earn around 3,000 Zen per month - meaning I have no issues getting a new $20-$25.00 ship per month for free. In fact I have not purchased any Zen on this account in almost 7 months now and currently have over 15,000 Zen. So just by playing people are earning themselves C-Store discounts anywhere between 10% and 100%.

Wrong... if you have 8000 Dil... you will get like 50 Zen = $0,50 per day... so if you can make 8000 Dil/day... and a good ship is 2500 Zen... you will have to play 50 days, getting 8000 dil/day... To get it free...

And, if you can do $10/month... A 2500 Zen ship will cost 2 month of game play plus $5...

And dont get me wrong, just cuz you can get the Zen in the game, i dont think it is a free Zen... its a work/time Zen... I dont think the game need to change the ways we get Zen.... But i think 500 - 1000 Zen is the fair price for a Ship... Even if you can get it "for free" after play every day for a month...

I dont think its a fair price, cuz you cant even sell the ship in the game...
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Dude (Dudette?)...

No Zombies Allowed...
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • kathornnkathornn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The fleet ship modules...

If im not wrong... they cost is 500 Zen/un... and you need 4 to get a ship... so its like give your Fleet Credits plus 2000 Zen($20)... They could just ask for 1 and sell for 2000 Zen, but it would look expensive lol, so they make it for 500 Zen and ask 4... good trick...

If i will give $20, i dont think i need to give any other thing to get my ship...

The 2500 Zen ships could have more then 1 or 2 weapon slots and one more console...

I think if you gonna pay $25 or play 2,5 months to get something, it have to be THE SOMETHING...

You have to think when you pay $25 for a ship, you are getting just a little better... as other people said there is not a big improvement in the C-store ships...

In the game "The Duel", i wanted an item that could make my sword a "light sword"... it was like $2,5... just like that...

In the game Shogun Total War 2... i wanted the "more blood and violence" improve... $1,5...

And what about the NPCs in fleet base selling things that cost Fleet Credits Plus 10.000Dil - 30.000 Dil....? What mad developer had that idea?

EDIT: This post has been closed due to being a "necro" thread. Remember, if a thread has not been posted to in over 30 days, please start a new thread to discuss a topic :) Thanks! ~BranFlakes
This discussion has been closed.