test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dilithium is out of control!

dassemstodassemsto Member Posts: 792 Arc User
Seriously, to get any perks at all in game now, you have to quit your job and become a full-time Dilithium grinder.

I log into STO to do what I think is fun. Do I earn Dilithium from it? Some, but nowhere near enough. If I used all my in-game time to grind Dili, it still wouldn't be enough, and on top of that I wouldn't have any fun.

Spending 1-2 hours in game every day, doing what I like to do, should honestly be enough to buy me a lot of things, but at the current Dilithium rate I'd have to play a year on one toon to be able to afford a RA ship. That is, if I had nothing else to spend Dili on at all.

Is this the goal for STO? Becoming just another asia-grinder? If so, we're almost there already...
Post edited by dassemsto on

Comments

• joxertm2joxertm2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    You can always buy dil with Zen.
    And that's the point of upcoming changes.
  • dassemstodassemsto Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    joxertm2 wrote: »

I did that a while back, but now the extreme increase demand for Dili has driven the Dili cost on the exchange so hig, I just can't justify how little Dili I get for my Zen anymore. Putting in a little $ to get a small reward in game i can live with. Having to dish out huge sums of $ is just not worth it... :(

I fear the current Dili demands are driving players away from STO. This is indicated by the Dili exchange, where the last months have shown that the demand for dili has increased in relation to how much has is being produced, driving the Dili price up. By driving the Dili prices up further, we will see players leaving STO until the Dili demand reduces the index to a more reasonable level.

For PvE play, gear doesn't matter all that much, but for the already small PvP community, having access to the best gear is essential. And to get it, they'll have to grind PvE instead of doing PvP. And doing PvP is the reason they play STO at all. I think the if the devs doesn't open up more avenues to earn Dili faster, STO will suffer badly from loss of players.

That's how I see it, anyhow.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    joxertm2 wrote: »

Not everyone has money as dirt.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • luxchristianluxchristian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    In every MMO (subscription or F2P) you have to spend a lot of time to achieve to get the best gear.

Just in STO you only need money. In WoW you need a lot of time AND skill.
  • rdm1958rdm1958 Member Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    when i first started playing the game it was a lot of fun. i did not worry about dilithium, gear, etc. then i started "grinding" to get stuff and it was not as much fun.

i'm now back to playing for fun. i may get gear and dilithium slower, but it is fun again. or more fun i should say.

i'm certainily not going to buy zen to get dilithium. just be patient and acquire it over time.
  • kylesal24kylesal24 Member Posts: 312
    edited October 2012
    What is the Dil/C-point rate at now? I forgot to check last time I logged in. Thanks!

Kyle
    Delta Fleet Command
  • joxertm2joxertm2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    anazonda wrote: »
    Not everyone has money as dirt.
    All players know that. Cryptic doesn't.
    In (insert any decent MMO) you need a lot of time AND skill.
    Skill in STO? Who needs that. A TRIBBLE monkey will nail your backside with Lobi store items any day. Unless you pay a fortune yourself to get 'em.
    rdm1958 wrote: »
    i'm now back to playing for fun. i may get gear and dilithium slower, but it is fun again. or more fun i should say.
    In another words, you're not a cow to milk but a human being.
  • jnohdjnohd Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    kylesal24 wrote: »
    What is the Dil/C-point rate at now? I forgot to check last time I logged in. Thanks!

Kyle

156? something like that.

So, the cap is up to 8k per character. Without going grind happy, I can nail about half of that in a casual night or so, just picking missions that pay decent Dilithium and trying not to get too grind happy. The key is, I have to be single minded about where I intend to spend it. I'm focused in on feeding my Fleet's Starbase. I can't lead without being willing to put the Fleet first. Maybe later as we get more folks in and it can run itself, I'll redirect onto playing the rest of the game. ;)

Someone in TTS last night complained the new Omega system would cost 80,000 Dilithium. So, apparently its "unfair" that it would take me a whole 10 days grinding at the Dilithium cap, 20 if I take a more casual but efficent approach, maybe 2 months if I take my normal lazy approach. 2 months of Dilithum, which last I checked is dolled out in small amounts for nearly everything I do in endgame? I can take that.

Now, I get the point here on the forums and clogging up the chat channels - There are suddenly 5 or more things pulling at our Dilithium stores and income that we all want at least 3 of. We're spoiled - there used to be only 1 thing, ships. Season 6 brought in Starbases and Fleet gear. We're barely 25% of the way through that content when lo and behold, 3 new cool things to spend our time on (where Dilithium == time) - 2 rep systems (with promises of many more) and an Embassy of questionable value, but shiny none the less.

If you view Dilithium as I do - a measure of time spent in game - I have no issue really running missions for a month or so and being REWARDED for it with a variety of things to earn.

I do my best not to focus in on the idea that I *can* buy Dilithium - I certianly don't *have* to though, at 2-4k Dil a day with no real effort. I'm doing rather well now a days, and despite having more than enough money available to funnel into my STO hobby, I *choose* to instead *play* the game, and get rewarded for my time.

Personally, I think they need to kill the Zen/Dilithium exchange once and for all, and just duplicate all C-Store items in a new Dilithium store, so the *perception* that you *must* pay instead of actually play the game for 20 days over a month+ is erased.

The killer for me is the grinder pricing.

I have no issue with the pricing, AND the cap where it is, but I need to see a 2 hour play session filled with so many various Dilithium rewards that I hit at least 4k Dil just playing a wide variety of missions, 8k if I try hard.

I also NEED to see a big review of how DOffs are being dolled out. I recently opened over 300 Engineering Duty Officer boxes I got from my Fleet vendor, and of those 60 were Engineering Department, the rest Operations.

Less than 20%? When the projects called for a 1:1 ratio?

That's bull. And they are going to need to fix it before S7.

In short: make sure the casual player sees at least half the cap, and make sure the grinder isnt absolutely NEEDED just to get a 1:1 ratio of DOffs for projects. THEN they can jack prices to keep the top 5-10% of Dilithium hoarders in check, after they ensure they aren't also killing off the little guy.

EDIT: an aside - at 156 Dilithium/Zen, and 1 Zen == $0.01 USD... and people hitting 8k caps in 3 hrs? 0.17 USD/hr
    Wampaq@Jnoh, Fleet Leader: ..Bloodbath and Beyond [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 'Iw HaH je Hoch!
    ALL HOLDINGS FINISHED! - Starbase 5-5-5-5 || Embassy 3-3-3 || Mine 3-3-3 || Spire 3-3-3
    A laid back KDF fleet welcoming independent, casual, & part-time players and groups. Roms & alts welcome.
    Send in-game mail to Wampaq@Jnoh, visit our recruitment thread and FB page for more info.
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I did that a while back, but now the extreme increase demand for Dili has driven the Dili cost on the exchange so hig, I just can't justify how little Dili I get for my Zen anymore.

it dropped like a rock, from nearly 400 to around 158. that is the exact opposite of 'driving the dilithium cost high.' you are getting an average of twice the amount of zen you would get before from dilithium. thats not a major hike in cost
  • pantsmaster916pantsmaster916 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The price of Zen has been steady around 155-160 for a few weeks now. A steady price is indicative of a steady economy.

We'll see what happens when S7 lands. But for now, things look OK. Maybe not perfect, but there certainly doesn't seem to be a reason to panic.

I'm a bit frustrated by hearing from the folks that complain about Dilithium earning being a "full time job" sort of thing. So you don't earn 8,000 per day? That doesn't mean you'll "never" get the items you want, it simply means you will take longer to get there than somebody that does.

Every F2P model these days tends to have some balance of people with a lot of Time vs. people with a lot of Money. Most average players fall somewhere in the middle (hence being average), and can spend SOME Time and SOME Money on their advancement, and this is where F2P games make the bulk of their earnings - not from the whales that buy everything, because they are few in number.

If you do not have a lot of Time, then it is expected of you to have a lot of Money. Or vice versa. If you cannot meet either of these extremes, or a balance of both, then you should expect your progression to lag behind others that do.

There will never be a game that exclusively caters to the lowest common denominator in either category, because it would not be financially sustainable.

So, if I could make a request, I would like people that complain about the Dilithium "grind" to think about what they actually want, and balance that against what they could get if they had either more Money or Time. If you find yourself falling into a category that does not have an abundance of one or the other, or a balance of both, then I'm of the opinion that your expectations are not realistic.
  • darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited October 2012
    Welcome to PWE gaming....

Very sad isn't it :(
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    With the standard setup of characters (1 Fed, 1 KDF), one can already get a combined 10k+ Dilithium plus an ok amount of EC a day with spending less than 10 minutes ingame.
  • kagurazaka77kagurazaka77 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    darkenzedd wrote: »
    Welcome to PWE gaming....

Very sad isn't it :(
    And yet you choose to stick around and cry about it.

Much like everyone else instead of realizing the proper way of showing your displeasure is through your actions, not your pointless, constant whining.

You people want to make a point to Cryptic.

STOP LOGGING IN. Quit.

When their subscriber base drops by 75% (rofl) then they will either make the changes you've been demanding, or they will die.

Either way, you people won't be upset from having to play a game that is obviously hurting you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    500 years in the future and we still look like schmucks when getting our ID photos taken...
  • warbuiltwarbuilt Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    there isn't a reward for being a loyal player. just rich ones. you can spend your way to the top in hours what it takes the loyal gamer months to do. That's whats wrong here. no rewards that can't be purchased.

and yeah, in PVE your equipment matters very little unless you play elite... and there is no reward for playing elite... why bother?

and face it, STO will never develop its PVP system. too many other priorities.
  • hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I higly recommend KDF alts, if you don't mind the twenty to thirty minutes it takes to have three KDF characters do an Omega Leonis-Eta Eridani-Regulus-Pi Canis lap to pick up marauding assignments and military offensives for the prisoners, to send to work in the Forced Labor assignments in those sectors and adjoining star clusters. You'll get some contraband in the process, trade those in, or drop them in the account bank for your feds, and that's an easy 15 to 24K a day.

Which they can then prompty turn over to the Federation war machine. Mine, my dilithium monkeys! Mine! :cool:

You don't even need to level them that much.

KDF's got it pretty easy, when it comes to duty officer dilithium generation. Fed characters take a lot more work to accomplish the same. And we have hardly any assignments to get rid of prisoners. (Prisoner exchange, interrogate prisoner, turning them over to the security officer on ESD two at a time for little to no reward, and the four rare colonisation assignments in the Cardassian block. And they're now worthless to dismiss. And what even happens when you 'dismiss' a prisoner anyway? I know what I'd like to happen, but there's a thin line between science and warcrimes. Then again, I'm not sure those Paradan contractors are entirely on the up-and-up.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave