test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

would this be nice to have in sto

extremis0extremis0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
just finish playing star trek legacy for the first time in the past 4 years and i notice that the the game play space i engine is way better than the one on sto .you can hit 90 degree angle upwards or downwards and i even notice phaser fire and torpedo cause visual damage to your ship and its not like in the same spot or your ship hull reaches a point of lvl and its visual changes. theres also a point if you take to mush of a hit your warp engines fall off http://oyster.ignimgs.com/ve3d/images/00/31/3174_star-trek-legacy-review-pc-20061211013904621.jpg is it possible for somthing like this to be implemented into STO.

have to say i almost forgot how mush of a f tard of bugs that was in this game :P
Post edited by extremis0 on

Comments

• anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Ironically, the engine for legacy is just an enhanced Armada2 Engine, wich is WAY older than the engine STO uses.

However, that damage, is actually just as pre-determined as the one in STO... There are just several possible combos for textures... but even that would be an enhancement.

If you want to see REAL damage, try Bridge commander... GOD I loved slicing thoose galaxy classes into neat little pieces.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This engine could definitely do any and all of the above if the devs wanted to, the issue is is that it's an MMO, and there can be far too many ships on screen, on too many different systems of varying power, to even begin to calculate how they could allow this in any way.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • boglejam73boglejam73 Member Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, sorry - MMOs aim for as wide an audience as possible so they shoot for middle-of-the-road graphics. That way, they don't cut out the players who will limp a 5 year old computer along.

As far as MMO graphics go, I don't find STO to be that bad in most regards.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • trenttylertrenttyler Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    extremis0 wrote: »
    just finish playing star trek legacy for the first time in the past 4 years and i notice that the the game play space i engine is way better than the one on sto .you can hit 90 degree angle upwards or downwards and i even notice :P

The reason we as players were told for limited axis movement way back when in closed BETA was, The Alpha testers would often get disoriented and confused on what direction they were oriented to, so they limited axis movement to what we have now.

Same with the Skill Tree change the weekend before the game went live, too much freedom of choice and ability to eventually get every skill. Though if they had developed new skills continually it would have worked fine, same with the movement, but alas, what is is what it is.
  • xenor002xenor002 Member Posts: 424
    edited October 2012
    extremis0 wrote: »
    just finish playing star trek legacy for the first time in the past 4 years and i notice that the the game play space i engine is way better than the one on sto .you can hit 90 degree angle upwards or downwards and i even notice phaser fire and torpedo cause visual damage to your ship and its not like in the same spot or your ship hull reaches a point of lvl and its visual changes. theres also a point if you take to mush of a hit your warp engines fall off http://oyster.ignimgs.com/ve3d/images/00/31/3174_star-trek-legacy-review-pc-20061211013904621.jpg is it possible for somthing like this to be implemented into STO.

have to say i almost forgot how mush of a f tard of bugs that was in this game :P

I actually asked this question during the first Las Vegas convention that Cryptic / STO team went to....

...they laughed at my face pretty much.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
    I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
    Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
  • geoff484geoff484 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    boglejam73 wrote: »
    Yeah, sorry - MMOs aim for as wide an audience as possible so they shoot for middle-of-the-road graphics. That way, they don't cut out the players who will limp a 5 year old computer along.

As far as MMO graphics go, I don't find STO to be that bad in most regards.

I'm not asking this to be a smart TRIBBLE, and don't make fun of me because I honestly don't know that much about video game software - But isn't that why we get the option to change graphic settings?
    banner_zpsowioz7sn.jpg
  • stockwelldaystockwellday Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    This only affects your graphic rendering display, if they added localized damage they would pretty much had to redo every single ship model and texture to apply it.

Which would go against their corporate moto, "Do more with"

I assume they meant Do more with less, but they must have been released that under developed like everything else.