test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

TRIBBLE Maintenance and Release Notes - October 16, 2012

zer0niusrexzer0niusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
We will be bringing the Tribble server down for maintenance to apply a new update.
ST.25.20121009e.8

General:
  • Added patrols to the Foundry.
    • This time for realsies.
  • Various server stability improvements.
  • Resolved several issues with Mine Trap that prevented successful completion of the mission.
Post edited by zer0niusrex on

Comments

• Options
    castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    guessing no fix for delete a project CTD then
  • Options
    rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Are you serious? j/k Nice avatar btw...
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    We will be bringing the Tribble server down for maintenance to apply a new update.
    ST.25.20121009e.8

General:

YAY! Thanks!

And you crack me up, Zero.
  • Options
    maddinm214maddinm214 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    When comes new Updates by the localisation for the german and french gamers?
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    castsbugc wrote: »
    guessing no fix for delete a project CTD then

Not yet.
    It requires a programmer to diagnose and fix that particular problem.

Adding in the patrols was a much simpler thing, since it was something that we had put in, but blocked off access to previously because it was crashing and such. So I was able to unblock them, at least for now, so we can get more testing on them. :)
  • Options
    tebsutebsu Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    still crash at startup. ticketid: 14454386

if you guys would like to debug on my machine, just contact me via my account mail
    What ? Calaway.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ST.25.20121009e.8

General:
    [*]Added patrols to the Foundry.

Pinky swear? :eek::D:P;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    admiralbrenanadmiralbrenan Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    when will we be able to go into the new sector block even if there aren't any missons i still wana fly around the new sector :)
  • Options
    l3dz3p85l3dz3p85 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ST.25.20121009e.8

General:

What does this mean? What are "patrols"? How are they different from normal missions?
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    l3dz3p85 wrote: »
    What does this mean? What are "patrols"? How are they different from normal missions?

Patrols are an author feature.

They allow the author to control where enemies go. Like having them walk along a hallway in a circle. Eventually, maybe have them change route based on things the player does or have mission contacts follow the player or walk from place to place.

One thing that occurs to me with patrols. Wasn't the Foundry changed forever ago so that enemies only spawn when the player gets close? And things out of range despawn?

What good is a patrol if it has to begin its route close to the player?
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Patrols are an author feature.

They allow the author to control where enemies go. Like having them walk along a hallway in a circle. Eventually, maybe have them change route based on things the player does or have mission contacts follow the player or walk from place to place.

One thing that occurs to me with patrols. Wasn't the Foundry changed forever ago so that enemies only spawn when the player gets close? And things out of range despawn?

What good is a patrol if it has to begin its route close to the player?

When NPC groups and contacts spawn hasn't changed since I've worked on the Foundry.
  • Options
    kalanikalani Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    When NPC groups and contacts spawn hasn't changed since I've worked on the Foundry.

His point still remains. The group has to be within 100m of a player to be on the map and thus following their patrol.

If this number could be increased we could actually make NPCs that seem to respond to the current mission objectives by placing their patrols near the objective but if they have to start within 100m of the player an author cant take it for granted that a player will be close enough to trigger the NPCs so they can follow the new way point.

Edit: Also I don't mean this to slight this feature. I can still think of quite a few interesting uses and Im really glad were getting it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Well, I was playing on my laptop so maybe I just didn't notice the beam-ins.

I could have sworn I used to be able to place a contact on a ledge, walk 200 yards away, and drop the contact off a cliff before the player returns. Whereas now they respawn/despawn.

Also was sure I used to be able to place enemies in an obscure corner of the map and use them as a "kill timer" for events in the mission.

My testing is sporadic so I'd be talking spring 2011 or maybe beta.

That would have been before you were a producer, I think, but you've been involved with the Foundry in some capacity longer than I have. So if I'm wrong, either I was exploiting bugs or I'm totally misremembering things.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    kalani2 wrote: »
    His point still remains. The group has to be within 100m of a player to be on the map and thus following their patrol.

If this number could be increased we could actually make NPCs that seem to respond to the current mission objectives by placing their patrols near the objective but if they have to start within 100m of the player an author cant take it for granted that a player will be close enough to trigger the NPCs so they can follow the new way point.

Edit: Also I don't mean this to slight this feature. I can still think of quite a few interesting uses and Im really glad were getting it.

My big concern is that there's a good chance the patrol will never even be a factor before the player enters combat, which makes the work with patrols a TON of work that would be wasted. I KNOW devs have spent months on this and if nobody notices it, then at best it's a placeholder for doing the same thing with friendly mobs, where it WOULD be noticed.

Assuming they don't just sporadically despawn when they get over 100m away.
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,804 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ST.25.20121009e.8

Various server stability improvements.

Dare I ask how many more crashes that means?! :P
  • Options
    designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Props for use of "for realsies".
  • Options
    scottapricescottaprice Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Could this be what has killed the in-game Voice Chat?

Nobody seems to have this capability right now. What's the scoop?
  • Options
    usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    jcsww wrote: »
    dare I Ask How Many More Crashes That Means?! :p

0.3 %

edited to remove the smilies that did not work
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • Options
    odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Since we can see the patrol movement in preview, does that mean we'll be able to see the wander movement in preview? If not, I may use patrols for friendlies instead of wander, as it may be easier to use. Patrols is definitely a great addition either way.
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    deleted for being redundant.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    reinstalled again today and still same problem. once i click on engage, the game crashes and that window opens where i can put in some text. also what i dont like is the collection of data in the background without notification. i am sometimes using my UMTS and my dataplan does not have unlimited megabytes. a notification here would be good.

/edit: after the last crash, a 210 mb update came in, i installed it and now it works !!
    What ? Calaway.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    ok i revert back to where i was. it doesnt work anymore (again). It worked once, then i quitted the game (and was happy to try it out at home). Once at home, the same crashes at startup came back. :(
    What ? Calaway.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Not yet.
    It requires a programmer to diagnose and fix that particular problem.

Adding in the patrols was a much simpler thing, since it was something that we had put in, but blocked off access to previously because it was crashing and such. So I was able to unblock them, at least for now, so we can get more testing on them. :)

What about the ages old problem with trying to add more than one dialog to a "Dialog Prompt Reached" condition causing a CTD? I've been delaying a mission that depends on that for months now.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    soleta63soleta63 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Thanks Zero-Cool for the updates loving the game. Rome wasn't built in a day STO is coming alone fine. Now if only we can get more players to fill-up the Ques on tribble for the Romulan Ground events.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    so i found out how to run this game (for all those who have a ctd when clicking on engage). if you should use windows 7, activate windows xp sp3 compatibility mode and it should work. maybe run as administrator too
    What ? Calaway.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    tebsu wrote: »
    so i found out how to run this game (for all those who have a ctd when clicking on engage). if you should use windows 7, activate windows xp sp3 compatibility mode and it should work. maybe run as administrator too

None of that is necessary for me.

Where do you have your game installed to?
  • Options
    boglejam73boglejam73 Member Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Where do you have your game installed to?

my guess... a patato.

but thats just a guess.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    tebsu wrote: »

If you have to do that then you have a software problem of some sort making that necessary. Could be something as simple as really outdated drivers Windows having some setting wrong or not even having Internet Explorer installed on your PC.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    kalani2 wrote: »
    If you have to do that then you have a software problem of some sort making that necessary. Could be something as simple as really outdated drivers Windows having some setting wrong or not even having Internet Explorer installed on your PC.

It could also be something like installing it to Program Files or Program Files x86, which Win7 doesn't like.

Better to use our default, which is like, users/public/games, or some such thing.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    It could also be something like installing it to Program Files or Program Files x86, which Win7 doesn't like.

Better to use our default, which is like, users/public/games, or some such thing.

I never thought about that but then again I hate putting much of anything in program files anyway. Ive got mine in C:\Cryptic Studios\..... and I don't have any issues.

I've had problems with using program files with other games so at least Windows doesn't discriminate against STO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]