test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is No One Watchng the "Live Space Jump?"

xenor002xenor002 Member Posts: 424
edited October 2012 in Ten Forward
Tad surprised just a historic moment is not being talked about here.

Discovery channel is covering this, as well as other stations, etc.

The jump from the Stratosphere shall be the highest in history.

UPDATE: Jump being made at 128,000 ft +
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
Post edited by xenor002 on

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Somewhat saddening that the SW:TOR forums have a huge thread there...yet on a Star Trek forum no one seems to care; yeah I just started this thread, but seeing that no one had any focus, let alone knew about it probably is saddening. :(

Dec '07 Account
    I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Well, strange thing about that was, a few days ago I kept seeing it pop up as I'm surfing the channel guide, but it wasn't actually airing.

But if it's airing now, GREAT! :D
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    hypl wrote: »
    Well, strange thing about that was, a few days ago I kept seeing it pop up as I'm surfing the channel guide, but it wasn't actually airing.

But if it's airing now, GREAT! :D

Indeed good you found it.

Dec '07 Account
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Getting close to landing now.

Dec '07 Account
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Safe on the ground now from around 128,000 ft jump.

Dec '07 Account
  • Options
    captbiptocaptbipto Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I thought this would be one of the most talked about events on these forums. But sadly its not. Way to go Felix and his team, for this world record breaking and inspiring space jump. You are not sucked out, you are blown out as the gas expands. Moronic reporters!

Hopefully this will lead onto better designed spacesuits, and other escape equipment for astronauts. And for low and near Earth orbit, space tourism. Maybe even a future sport in the making, albeit a very expensive one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Captain Bipto: What's the problem? Just vaporise; everyone, everything, boof, mission accomplished, medals, awards, a parade, next!
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I was watching it on my tablet on livestream...

Didn feel the need to go straight to FB or the forums to talk about it... After all I'd just be talking about how much cooler than me he is
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I didn't talk on it cuz...I didn't know it was happening until today.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    captbipto wrote: »
    I thought this would be one of the most talked about events on these forums. But sadly its not. Way to go Felix and his team, for this world record breaking and inspiring space jump. You are not sucked out, you are blown out as the gas expands. Moronic reporters!

Hopefully this will lead onto better designed spacesuits, and other escape equipment for astronauts. And for low and near Earth orbit, space tourism. Maybe even a future sport in the making, albeit a very expensive one.

Same; like you pointed out even, this will greatly help fututre space exploration in some areas most likely.

Dec '07 Account
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    xenor002 wrote: »

I was following it midweek watching discovery velocity.It was delayed.I expected it to at least get some mention on the news...and nothing.Shameful that political mudslinging upstages an event with scientific potential in the US right now.Guess the news only broadcasts what draws ratings, and right now..it's more Washington BS.
  • Options
    red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    It didn't even occur to me that anyone would be covering this live. So far as I know they've never done this for previously staggeringly-high skydiving.
  • Options
    raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The whole world was watching this plus me! :D
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited October 2012
    Sadly I missed the actual jump, I had other plans today. I had tried to watch the last attempt, but that obviously got postponed.

Maybe someone can help me understand this though.
    They keep talking about how he's going to (well, did) break the sound barrier on his way down. In the dark corners of my brain, I'm recalling the speed of sound at sea level is around 760 MPH.
    I also remember the terminal velocity of a human being being somewhere around 200 MPH.

So, when they say "he broke the sound barrier!" Did he actually get up to 760 MPH? Is that only possible because the air is thinner, thus there is less resistance, thus the terminal velocity is much higher?

Or, did he technically break the sound barrier, but because he's 22 miles up, where the air is much thinner, the speed of sound is much lower?

Is it somewhere in between? Is it none of the above?

Help me understand.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    As I understand it, the speed is slower due to the colder air, up higher, and as you said, its less dense too. Because of the density, it is possible to surpass your terminal velocity speed. So he basically had to do that before hitting the part of the atmosphere where regular air density would usually prevent him from surpassing his terminal velocity. But hes also racing against slowed down sound.

When he hits regular air it will slow him down to his terminal velocity.

So he did actually travel faster (pure legitimate speed wise) than sound (even though it was slowed sound) and did so before he was slowed down by regular air. Although maybe, it also means that due to his velocity, he'd actually also break through the regular speed of sound in regular air too if he could maintain it (like perhaps with a ACME Rocket pack). Either way, he traveled LUDICROUS SPEED.

o.0
  • Options
    androphorosandrophoros Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    re: moving faster than sound:

terminal velocity is related to air density. basically the air pushes back on you as you fall and limits your speed. less dense air=faster terminal velocity. with no air there is no terminal velocity besides the speed of light. as he descended his speed would have lowered as he air got more dense and acted as a cushion. in the upper portion of his fall he may have gone past 760 MPH and then have slowed down as he got closer to Earth.

Also it could be a combo of that and what you said about sound moving slower in less dense objects and just be technical breaking of the speed of sound.

Don't know, haven't done any research.
    "Wesley - He wants the Impossible
    Geordi - That's the short definition of Captain" - and the STO Forums
  • Options
    khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Anyone else got reminded by the stratospheric jump made by Kirk et al from 2009 Star Trek? ;)

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • Options
    targpetz101targpetz101 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    khayuung wrote: »
    Anyone else got reminded by the stratospheric jump made by Kirk et al from 2009 Star Trek? ;)

That was actually supposed to be in Generations.
    Kirk, not taking to retirement well, continued his dangerous stants.
    The opening scene to Generations was supposed to be a high orbital jump, then kirk popping his chute and landing next to Scotty and Chekov, who admonish him for being late for the Enterprise-B first flight ceremony.
    [SIGPIC]This is not as good as it used to be...[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Sadly I missed the actual jump, I had other plans today. I had tried to watch the last attempt, but that obviously got postponed.

Maybe someone can help me understand this though.
    They keep talking about how he's going to (well, did) break the sound barrier on his way down. In the dark corners of my brain, I'm recalling the speed of sound at sea level is around 760 MPH.
    I also remember the terminal velocity of a human being being somewhere around 200 MPH.

So, when they say "he broke the sound barrier!" Did he actually get up to 760 MPH? Is that only possible because the air is thinner, thus there is less resistance, thus the terminal velocity is much higher?

Or, did he technically break the sound barrier, but because he's 22 miles up, where the air is much thinner, the speed of sound is much lower?

Is it somewhere in between? Is it none of the above?

Help me understand.

I know he definately broke 740-750ish mph. Couldn't recall if he got past 760, blew my mind how high he jumped...and he just simply leaned forward and fell, was insane.

Dec '07 Account
  • Options
    raistalionraistalion Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    nynik wrote: »
    As I understand it, the speed is slower due to the colder air, up higher, and as you said, its less dense too. Because of the density, it is possible to surpass your terminal velocity speed. So he basically had to do that before hitting the part of the atmosphere where regular air density would usually prevent him from surpassing his terminal velocity. But hes also racing against slowed down sound.

When he hits regular air it will slow him down to his terminal velocity.

So he did actually travel faster (pure legitimate speed wise) than sound (even though it was slowed sound) and did so before he was slowed down by regular air. Although maybe, it also means that due to his velocity, he'd actually also break through the regular speed of sound in regular air too if he could maintain it (like perhaps with a ACME Rocket pack). Either way, he traveled LUDICROUS SPEED.

o.0

The speed of sound is lower the higer you are in altitude as thier is less for "sounds" to reverberate off. At the same time Terminal velocity is reduced by the thinner atmosphere as thier is less drag. So basically it was a combination of both being far enough but still able to "fall" combined with less needed speed. This change in atmosphere is why you see the 're-entry" glow on a spaceship as speed and differing atmospheric density creates friction.

All up he reached Mach 1.24 traveling at 833 mph jumping from 128,000 feet.

Here's a handy aerospace link that shows you various mach speeds at different altitudes, but in layman's terms, things go faster after you about 15km up. Also Gravity tends to all increase its hold on you the closer you get to the ground.

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/atmosphere/q0112.shtml

My personal favorite part of this was just how big of an acme whole he would have inflicted if the chute hadn't deployed.

- Raith
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    It was pretty awesome to watch, and kind of nerve racking when he first jumped when you really wrap your brain around just how high up he was.

what would have sealed it if he had landed on an X on the ground. :D
  • Options
    miloguymiloguy Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    i watched it from go to woahhhhhhhh

unbelievable, I would go so close to calling him a real Superman..
    flying in the air like he did..
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Historic moment? You're kidding right? What's so special about it? Gravity did all the work for him.
    Honestly, risking your life for 5 minutes of fame may give you an entry in the Guiness book of stupidity but certaintly not in history books.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    szim wrote: »
    Historic moment? You're kidding right? What's so special about it? Gravity did all the work for him.
    Honestly, risking your life for 5 minutes of fame may give you an entry in the Guiness book of stupidity but certaintly not in history books.

Hello, please refrain from posting like this in this thread. If you want to try to belittle an event for the sake of belittling please just stay quiet and let others enjoy it; you obviously had no interest in it so it's safe to assume you just want to troll.

And this morning it was confirmed that he definately broke the sound barrier. :D

Dec '07 Account
  • Options
    hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I watched it. Kind of reminded me of one of Torres' suicidal holodeck programs. I was sort of worried right then me and seven million others were watching a live snuff movie. (I'm sure there were a few Nascar fans watching.) Other than that, looked like fun. I just would've brought more than eight pages of reading material for the two and a half hour trip up.

And hit the ground at 200 kph, probably. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • Options
    hortworthortwort Member Posts: 281
    edited October 2012
    Hello, please refrain from posting like this in this thread. If you want to try to belittle an event for the sake of belittling please just stay quiet and let others enjoy it; you obviously had no interest in it so it's safe to assume you just want to troll.

He's not trolling, he's reponding to your original comment: People aren't wildly talking about it because for a lot of folks it's just some guy jumping from really high up. I just don't see any gains from this aside from setting a record. It's nice to know it can be done, I guess? But really, I had no reason to believe it couldn't be. :/

I'm more impressed by each and every space probe that goes out. Heck, I'm impressed by supercavitation experiments right here. I like a payoff besides "RAWRRR!!" when pushing boundaries.
    I miss my _.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, I found Curiosity more interesting. This is just some dude doing a stunt.