test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Geez - there has to be a better way to get Omega or MACO sets!

jonbrejonbre Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2012 in The Academy
Hey all,

So I've seen that for me to get those sets I have to grind and grind to MAYBE get a Borg salvage tech and probably never get a prototype tech. I've been playing these Elite volunteer missions for a while and I never seem to get any closer. I'm getting sick and tired of getting my butt handed to me because I don't have an "instant remodulator." I just sit there after firing my weapon for 2 seconds before the Borg adapt, tapping my rifle for what seems an eternity.

Are there missions where one has a better chance of getting those Borg techs, so one doesn't
have to accumulate Data Chips for a year?

Also, does anyone know of a place other than MACO or Omega requisitions to get very rare, rear-admiral-level kits (specifically, a Medic kit)? It seems they don't exist on the exchange and the best I've seen are blue rare kits at IX level from vendors.

Thanks, everybody! :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Eline: "The rest of us have been gone a thousand years. If you remember what we were, and how we lived, then we'll have found life again." / Picard: "Eline..."
Eline: "Now we live in you. Tell them of us... my darling." -The Inner Light
Post edited by jonbre on

Comments

• pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    purple mk X kits are player crafted. you can usualy find them on the exchange
  • jonbrejonbre Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Thank you - I'll look there!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Eline: "The rest of us have been gone a thousand years. If you remember what we were, and how we lived, then we'll have found life again." / Picard: "Eline..."
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The best chance of getting MACO/Omega gear outside of the STF's is the C-Store when they are released for that.

Right now the only way is to grind the STFs for it, till your fingers bleed.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • bubblygumsworthbubblygumsworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    jonbre wrote: »

So I've seen that for me to get those sets I have to grind and grind to MAYBE get a Borg salvage tech and probably never get a prototype tech. I've been playing these Elite volunteer missions for a while and I never seem to get any closer.

Ground proto tech is a ***** to get, I've been playing since F2P and I average about 20-30 hours a week playing and I have not seen any proto tech drop for any of my 4 toons for ground stfs, space is a different story as the space proto tech drops like crazy for me. Your best bet is to save up the 40 EDCs for each piece of MKXI item and just buy them for the time being.
    Are there missions where one has a better chance of getting those Borg techs, so one doesn't
    have to accumulate Data Chips for a year?

I dont know if the tech drop increases but I know that you get double the amount of EDCs on the wednesday - thursday featured stf, you could use that to get a boost in getting EDCs.
    I'm getting sick and tired of getting my butt handed to me because I don't have an "instant remodulator." I just sit there after firing my weapon for 2 seconds before the Borg adapt, tapping my rifle for what seems an eternity.

I might have cheated a bit. Once I got the full set and gained access to the instant remodulation, I just ended up binding it to my mouse button that I use to fire the weapon so I remodulate automatically :P

I have begun to save any EDCs /tech/ salvage that I come across anyway now as I hear that a new system that will be using borg chips and salvage etc is coming in with the release of season 7.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
  • jonbrejonbre Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for the replies, everyone! Looks like I'll have to look out for that Wed/Thurs thing, and just stack up the data chips!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    anazonda wrote: »
    The best chance of getting MACO/Omega gear outside of the STF's is the C-Store when they are released for that.

As much as I really don't like the sound of that, it wouldn't honestly surprise me at this point.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • maelwy5maelwy5 Member Posts: 593 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for the replies, everyone! Looks like I'll have to look out for that Wed/Thurs thing, and just stack up the data chips!

You'll find a lot of people prefer the Space STFs over the ground ones, because it's easier to build and control a ship with decent survivability/damage output than it is to do the same with your ground captain.

On my characters what I tend to do is save up 60 EDCs by flying the Space Elite missions, then use those EDCs to buy a complete Mk X ground set (MACO or Honor Guard).

That's 30 successful runs or less, as you get 2 EDCs per run minimum and more during the special featured-STF events. Once you get the hang of what's required for the STFs, Infected Elite and Khittomer Accord Space Elite are both fairly easy to complete (even with the optional intact) with random PUGs, so it really doesn't take all that long. (Though I'd stay clear of Cure Elite unless you're on cooldown for the other two and don't care if you get a bad PUG... it's fine when people know what they're doing, but if you get one or two idiots they have the potential to cause a fail unless the others are very well geared/prepared)

Once you have a Mk X ground set, you'll have the instant remodulator and most of the benefits of the Mk XII set. You just need a second Mk XII weapon (Pulsewave with MACO, Rifle with Honor Guard), a few Kits, some Hypos and a decent Tribble/Gambling Device and you'll definitely be able to pull your weight on elite ground missions.

Basically it's not worth saving up EDCs for a Mk XI set if you're aiming to eventually get a Mk XII set. Just get the Mk X for half the EDCs, and then play the missions. If Rare tech happens to drop, or you end up with a vast surplus of EDCs, then by all means upgrade to Mk XI. But for starting out- Mk X all the way!! ;)

The free 'Replicated' (non instant) Remodulators aren't that bad... they'll get you through Normals without much hassle, as long as you bring two different damage types of weapon along (say, a Disruptor Rifle and an Antiproton Pulsewave). But instant versions certainly help when you're doing Elites and trying to remodulate under fire.

[Edit: I should point out though that the above assumes you're already familiar with the STFs - if you're not, it's probably a good idea to start out with Normals to "learn the ropes" first before jumping straight into Elites. Normals are much more forgiving!! :D]
    [ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    season 7 will change the reward system for stfs, thats atleast what Dstahl said in the last AskCryptic...don't know specifics yet.
    Go pro or go home
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    mimey2 wrote: »
    As much as I really don't like the sound of that, it wouldn't honestly surprise me at this point.

Why would it...? Everything is being made accessable through money right now...

Just wait... at some point you will be able to buy a "Full level up and full Equip" from the C-Store too.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • joxertm2joxertm2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Just wait... at some point you will be able to buy a "Full level up and full Equip" from the C-Store too.

If we're talking about grind thousands of the same STF to get items, I don't think adding those items to C-store would be a negative thing.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Why would it...? Everything is being made accessable through money right now...

I would have expected Cryptic to never do something like this before this week. With all veteran rewards available to any lifer, then I fully expect everything to be on the C-Store or lockbox eventually. Makes no sense that a person that just started the game can get the Starfleet Veteran title, but a person that plays every day for 2 years can't because they don't have $200 to waste at once.