test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

State of the game ( my view )

2»

Comments

• robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I agree that it seems that the content is seems slow and grinding is boring. I think the biggest problem is a distribution schedule. If you look at the last FE each of the 5 missions could be completed in 30 minutes. All five of them in about 2 hours. When season 6 came out and look at fleet missions they can also all be played in a couple of hours. Colony Invasion alone is less then ten.

There are only 2 things they can do and that is increase re-playability or spread it out so the content is not clumped together.

Starbases did increase re-playability because everyone was racing to for fleet marks at first and missions like Of Bajor was played though many time to do all the side missions that make it up.

Distribution schedule I think would be a better way to go. If you take a show like the Big Bang Theory in season 5 last year there were 24 episodes at about 21 minutes each. That is a total of about 8.5 hours. If featured episodes were to come out once every 2 weeks for almost half a year then you at least have what looks like more content instead of a cluster content like a DVD box set.

I'm at this point happy with the progress this game has made. Even though they have not released as many missions I would like I acknowledge that the systems they added in the last two systems (Doff/starbase) are huge systems. with each new system that gets created that is one less system they need to build in the future and can then focus on story.

I hope that once systems like PvP or crafting get revamped they can focus on new content that is simpler to make. I look at the embassy they are talking about and how it is an extension off the starbase system and I'm thinking that it is good that they can add to an existing system while probably took them a whole lot less time.

They also say that season 7 is about content. I like this but I'm afraid that this will be a lot of missions all at once. That means we will race through all of it and I will once again focuse on a few key mission and ignoring the rest.

I know I've played Colony Invasion hundreds of times and Starbase Incursion only a couple of times due to wanting more fleet marks. I know I probably would have played the other one more often if they didn't come out at the same time.
  • dakkidedakkide Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    You're missing one crucial point with the above list. Each of those content items cost money to get so they could easily recoup the contents of putting out actual expansions. Our expansions are free.

Sorry, what are these expansions you speak of? Weekly's that we have not seen for a year? Um... Doff missions? If you believe these are expansions, I just dont know what to say. Ive been in the MMO community for over 15 years. And these my friend are not expansions. Check out the new expansions that both Rift and WoW have released. Those are expansions,

MorBlade
    www.BladeMMO.com
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Just want to add yet again, that there are many new missions added to the game on a daily basis, but you guys don't play them.

You guys don't seem to want content, really. You want some shiny.

The game is full of content. Story content is flowing like an unstoppable river in STO. But you aren't playing it. So, what, really, are you after?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    kirksplat wrote: »
    So, what, really, are you after?

What I'm interested in is the continuation of the story lines that cryptic has started. I want to know about the Ionians and the Undine. As much as I like the concept of the foundry I'm not always interested in sifting though it looking for the nuggets. That is why I like the foundry spotlight. I also have goals I want to reach in the starbase and that means time management unfortunately which is another reason why I don't like the guess work.
  • solomacesolomace Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    I was clearly discussing the individual EPs and staying they add weeks of content, but they don't add months or years of content to the game. Also, I clearly said "weeks" rather then 1 week you seem to be implying.

Perhaps you should spend more time worrying about and playing the games you do like - as you've said several times on the forum that you hate STO and do no play it - rather then constantly seeming to find ways to attack everything I say in several different threads? Wouldn't that make for a better life for you?

You hate me, why? Because I get to play dozens of games year? Because I'm retired and have tons of free time? Because I playtest a lot of games that you don't get offers to playtest? Because I have opinions that are different then yours?

Grow up.

I don't hate you Cosmic, infact I don't hate anyone. The reason I focus on your posts, is that you and I both remember when you tried to belittle me and STO for that matter, when you stated clearly that you cared about as much about STO as you did your Starbuck coffee and was basically telling everyone not to care too much about STO.

Since then you spend an awful lot of time on the forums and playing STO and you ram it down everyone throat in every post with your condescending tone saying the same things.

Others too mention that they are tired of you repeating the same things. Yes, we know you "claim" to be retired. Yes we know you "claim to have played everything under the sun". Yes we know you no longer spend any money on STO and that you can make a ton of Dil in 5 seconds. See where am I'm going?

So, your comment about Wow be it "weeks" as you say, is still gumph and your still implying there's less than a months worth of content in every Exp.

I might decide one day to "grow up", but you still will be around saying the same old stuff.

Hate? Nah, never.
    Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
    edited October 2012
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Just want to add yet again, that there are many new missions added to the game on a daily basis, but you guys don't play them.

You guys don't seem to want content, really. You want some shiny.

The game is full of content. Story content is flowing like an unstoppable river in STO. But you aren't playing it. So, what, really, are you after?

Because some people are old school and they want official content to play and not just missions or story. Not only that, people like a sense of achievement and playing foundry missions may not give them that. Couple with all the dross that I am told that's in there with only a few gold nuggets.

I know you push the foundry and to me that means the foundry is everything to you and for all intents and purposes, it is STO to you. You need to step back a bit and realise that the foundry is not liked by many for various reasons and one of them being the fan base is no long a trek fan base but a f2p one. They come in, do all the content in "weeks" and then leave. Why would they care about story?

That said, when FE came out, you can clearly see the difference between fan made and official and you can see how many loved to play it. These people maybe gone too though.

Tell you what, it might be interesting to see why people do and don't use the foundry.

I will make a post on this and see.
    Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
    edited October 2012
    You're missing one crucial point with the above list. Each of those content items cost money to get so they could easily recoup the contents of putting out actual expansions. Our expansions are free.

And you're missing 2 crucial points.

1. STO doesn't do expansions and if your talking season, a lot of "seasons" were just adding in what should have been in from day 1 or were revamping/fixing stuff.

You were here at launch no? Shallow game with people hitting VA in a couple of weeks? 45 day patch?

2. That's the problem the game does need a "full" expansion. Get some meat on the table and charge for it.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    syberghost wrote: »
    It's over 60% of the North American MMO market, and you have to guess? :rolleyes:

Well given there are dozens of other MMOs, you can easily refer to another.
    Which is slower than STO's pace.

Slower as in not burning content up in less of a month? More or less a week? :rolleyes:
    Which STO has.

Since when has STO had any GM event? The closest we got is Devs goofing around on the Tribble Test Server or Branflakes events, which is pretty much "queue up and hope im there with you". :rolleyes:
    Which STO has even if you don't count the Foundry, which you should.

Lockboxes don't count. And at best we get a new mission that's people are over with in a few hours.

Besides, the Foundry is nice, but we paid for Cryptic to make the content. Not have fans do it for them.

Yeah, STO's expansions are free. But the cost of one Everquet Expansion is same cost as a C-store ship. Plus that expansion has enough content that could literally keep people busy for well over 6 months.