test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why Not a Ferengi Faction?

kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I realized today that I'm spending a ton of time playing as a Ferengi in STO. I don't mean that I have a playable Ferengi toon. I mean that I'm hunting commodities, searching for economic loop holes, lucrative vendors, sites, doff missions, etc. etc. etc.

I'm already crunching numbers, looking for schemes, and watching the clock for the next lucrative business opportunity, whether it's dilithium or fleet marks. I'm calculating conversion rates of currencies. I'm riding the great river of commerce.

Apart from making Foundry missions, STO has become a rpg-type of Ferengi commerce. For example, I spent my ECs on keys, so now I've been trying to sell commodities, contraband, and all of the stuff that certain doff missions require.

It's amazing because with the doff and the starbase system, everything has been made profitable, even for the small time aspiring Ferengi.

Ex: You can buy Saurian brandy for 20 ECs at SFA. They sell on the exchange for 5000 ECs each. That's a business opportunity for a Ferengi. It would be cool if he could level based on the profit margin of that sale.

It would be fun to start out as a small type merchant selling mineral samples on the exchange, while having a doff system of prisoners, slaves, Orion beauties, etc.

Maybe the ECs would be the ultimate prize for a Ferengi. They wouldn't play missions to get XP. There would be no fighting. They'd doff it the whole way through with contraband, illegal trade networks, etc. Some days, you'd play sto just standing at the exchange for hours. I'm already doing that some days.

And slowly my Ferengi would get a bigger ship, as he rose in ranks to eventually become a key advisor to the Grand Nagus.

We have the bones built for a Ferengi faction, don't you think?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by kirksplat on

Comments

• Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It might be fun to have a merchant/civilian faction, but like other factions in general, that's years down the road. STO would need a far larger dev team and player base in order to really consider this kind of stuff though.

That being said, having this game reach that level would be a dream come true. :D
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    It might be fun to have a merchant/civilian faction, but like other factions in general, that's years down the road. STO would need a far larger dev team and player base in order to really consider this kind of stuff though.

That being said, having this game reach that level would be a dream come true. :D

But, I guess what I'm saying is that the mechanics have already been put in the game, for the most part. It wouldn't need to be a huge expansion like a Romulan faction. Instead it would be a process of lvl a toon through profit margins, doffs, commodities, etc. etc. Maybe an additional weapons trafficking system or something.

Ferengi would have only one mission: profit in the existing sto universe. Their shinies could consist of special canes, clothing, or net worth.

You can play the game this way today, if you ignore the fact that you're in Starfleet. If you think of your doffs as employees, you can aspire to end up in the great treasury.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    kirksplat wrote: »
    But, I guess what I'm saying is that the mechanics have already been put in the game, for the most part. It wouldn't need to be a huge expansion like a Romulan faction. Instead it would be a process of lvl a toon through profit margins, doffs, commodities, etc. etc. Maybe an additional weapons trafficking system or something.

Ferengi would have only one mission: profit in the existing sto universe. Their shinies could consist of special canes, clothing, or net worth.

I know what you're saying. And yes, I like it very much. :D There's just a ways to go before such things are possible. How awesome would it be... if this game were that big? :D
  • Options
    jackdonnerjackdonner Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Ex: You can buy Saurian brandy for 20 ECs at SFA. They sell on the exchange for 5000 ECs each. That's a business opportunity for a Ferengi. It would be cool if he could level based on the profit margin of that sale.

Well, you just killed that business opportunity now that everyone knows you can get it at SFA for 20ec..

Making money on the exchange, and being successful requires you keep such things quiet if you want to make money.

*facepalms..
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    jackdonner wrote: »
    Well, you just killed that business opportunity now that everyone knows you can get it at SFA for 20ec..

Making money on the exchange, and being successful requires you keep such things quiet if you want to make money.

*facepalms..

*hangs head in shame and rereads the rules of acquisition.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Short Answer: There is no Profit in the Ferengi. ;)

Really, I agree with the merchant faction and Ferenginar as a base. I argued that point myself several times. We got transports in the game, they can go from world to world making money. Then it could involve a higher form of crafting, where the crafted items would be something specific to this faction, but would be in high demand by some of the playerbase like selling Accx2 starship weapons.

Orions could be the opposite of the Merchant faction in doing Privateering.

Also Ferenginar could be a major gambling hub, where we could do high-stakes gambling for Latinum (which is long needed), and maybe some of that Latinum could be converted into Lobi and players don't feel pressured to buy literally hundreds of Lockboxes to get some of those items (Cryptic, you know people aren't buying them like the clothing).
  • Options
    cusashorncusashorn Member Posts: 461
    edited October 2012
    Don't the Ferengi basically only have two ships in all of Star Trek canon anyway? The Maurader and it's shuttle craft.
    "My frozen dairy-based confectionery attracts all the males of the species to the facilities. They all agree on it's superiority. Indeed, it is superior to yours. I could teach you the finer details but that would require monetary recompense on your part."
    -The Milkshake Song: Vulcan Edition
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I would like to think that one day the Ferengi faction would cover the whole idea of a nuetral faction made of Traders and even pirates, mercs and etc.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    ltsmithltsmith Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Personally a Ferngi faction would be very intriguing, but it would be filled with too much exploitation and greed.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I can already do a Ferengi Faction just by picking a the Ferengi race for Captain, stocking the ship with Ferengi BOFFs, putting them all in plain clothes, and keeping them in a T1 ship until I can afford a D'Kora. I can do the non-combat Missions, DOFFs, and play the Exchanges. I don't need Cryptic to add anything for me to do all that. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    mithril2098mithril2098 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    the Ferengi as a faction would be too limited in gameplay i think.

but perhaps the Black Market could be be given it's own sub-arc, similar to how you have the Diplomatic Corps material.

only instead of becoming a diplomat, you'd be carrying out missions for the black market (the ferengi, for independant traders, for the orion cartel, etc). these could be missions to pick up and deliver items, rescue/assist 'traders', and so on.. and a set of new duty officer missions.

unlike diplomacy and marauding, the black market gameplay could be available to both factions equally.

"Tiny little dots far, far away. Our eyes drawn to the twinkle of a hundred billion galaxies. Giving life to illusion, illusion to life. Something upon which to hang our hopes."
    - Tobias LeConte - Dream Weaver - seaQuest DSV
  • Options
    odstgeneralodstgeneral Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I don't really do to much on the economics part of the game, but what described makes it sound really exciting. I could see it now , players getting to use the NPC freighters as they start off and as their ship grows they get expanded inventory slots. Perhaps even a good reason to go back to crafting for many people.

I always kind of wanted to see an Eve economics type of atmosphere outside of Eve, and I think this would be the closest it would get.
    It is all relative
  • Options
    notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    You can play Ferengi very easily in this game

1. Act like a Ferengi
    2. Press Need everytime you play stf, fleet alerts etc
    3. Don't heal anyone
    4. Don't keep your promises
    5. Announce that you'll start ground STF but actually you start space STF
    6. whine about prices in exchange
    etc...
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    They went with the Federation as Roms son did so in DS9.There is still the Romulans,Cardassians and maybe Borg to do.

There could be Tholians or Andromedans and they could throw in some StarFleet Battle races like the Lyrans and Kzinti.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • Options
    virgilpluton999virgilpluton999 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    We already have Kzinti, they are called Ferasans for legal reasons.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    We already have Kzinti, they are called Ferasans for legal reasons.

What faction are they in?
    Star Trek Gamers
  • Options
    mithril2098mithril2098 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    age03 wrote: »
    What faction are they in?

klingons.

and to elaborate on the naming thing, the Kzinti were originally a race created by Larry niven for his "Known space" series of novels, which are best known for the "Man vs. Kzin Wars" series of compilations (which are set in Niven's setting, but feature stories by other famous authors)

Larry Niven wrote the Star Trek Animated Series episode "the Slaver Weapon", which featured the Kzinti in the star trek universe. the episode was a partial rewrite of one of his short stories "The Soft Weapon", about a pair of humans and a Pierson's Puppeteer, who find find an ancient artifact from a prehistoric war, and how they outthink a group of Kzinti who want to artifact for themselves.

in the star trek episode, the humans and puppeteer are replaced by Spock, Uhura, and Sulu, and some of the background is loosely adapted to trek.

since Larry Niven holds the trademarks and copyrights to the kzinti, Cryptic renamed them and gave them a cosmetic overhaul to be a more generic cat people race.

CBS/Paramount had at various times tried to bring the Kzin back to trek (having enough money to buy the right to use the name and look), but Enterprise never got a 5th season and plans to do a CGI film with Sulu and the excelsior fighting against a Kzinti invasion never panned out.

"Tiny little dots far, far away. Our eyes drawn to the twinkle of a hundred billion galaxies. Giving life to illusion, illusion to life. Something upon which to hang our hopes."
    - Tobias LeConte - Dream Weaver - seaQuest DSV
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    I can already do a Ferengi Faction just by picking a the Ferengi race for Captain, stocking the ship with Ferengi BOFFs, putting them all in plain clothes, and keeping them in a T1 ship until I can afford a D'Kora. I can do the non-combat Missions, DOFFs, and play the Exchanges. I don't need Cryptic to add anything for me to do all that. :)

But in the end, you are still a Fed character, completely ignoring admirals' order. And you doffs are Starfleet officers. That makes no sense.

Seems like this would be the easiest way to add a 3rd faction, since Cryptic doesn't actually have to make story content to finish a faction, like they have to with the KDF.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Cryptic probably prefers to have that faction to themselves ^^
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    waveofthefuturewaveofthefuture Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I love STO, primarily for its economics. One can learn profit and loss, gains and windfalls, and the risk all without actual spending. A merchant faction would be welcomed, I think,
  • Options
    xenor002xenor002 Member Posts: 424
    edited October 2012
    Because that's the exclusive PWE/Cryptic faction.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
    I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
    Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
  • Options
    chikahirochikahiro Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I would like to see Ferengi for Klingons, at least.

That said, while the idea of having more factions sounds appealing, having actual 1-50 content seems a bit daunting/unrealistic, at least for the near future. I'd personally rather see "seedlings" of factions put in along with some sort of faction-based meta-game. Think Risk or Settlers of Catan, or maybe more accurately Civilization or Alpha Centauri. Compete via economics, cultural influence, politics, espionage, etc.

The nice thing with Star Trek is many of the of the factions already have strengths and weaknesses, and thus natural affinities and antagonisms.

Now, how to do this in a not half-baked way? Errr... beats me :p

My blog! Zen|Dilithium tracking on Thursdays
    http://samonmaui.blogspot.com
    As a lifetime member of STO, I officially became a financial liability as of April 2012 when compared to a subscriber.
  • Options
    admiralbrad77admiralbrad77 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    i was thinking, this may have even been suggested already but along with a Ferengi faction how about a neutral faction like for just crafter or traders that fly barges like for example Travis Mayweather's family in Enterprise???
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Ever since I got my Tuffli class freighter, I've wanted to see a civilian faction. I think it would be awesome to have a play style throughout this game that is a bit more focused on commerce and negotiation, than on battle and warfare.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    chikahiro wrote: »

That said, while the idea of having more factions sounds appealing, having actual 1-50 content seems a bit daunting/unrealistic, at least for the near future.

Well, the point of the OP was to stress that the content is already there. I'm not suggesting any story content. Cryptic can't do story. But, some kind of lvl mechanic could work.

Ex: The amount of XP is related to the profit margin of a sale. That's all the Ferengi faction would need to level a toon 1-50. If a Ferengi buys something for 20 ecs and sells it for 5000. That's worthy of a XP boost. However if a Ferengi buys something for 5 mil ECs and sells for 6 million, that's not really worthy of a boost, despite a profit of 1 million ECs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ...not another one.

The only way STO is going to have another faction, is to move away from factions in the first place. Have just Fleet based PvP, and allow everyone to attack everyone else should they declare war.

I don't know how that works with canon, but the mechanics of the game (and the aptitude of the devs) do not allow for proper management for yet another faction.

I'd much rather one have a third party faction that eventually has to choose between Starfleet and KDF. Its the best compromise we have. As such, all we need is to beef up KDF missions for 1-50, then have the new factions roll on the side they want once they clear their tutorial.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    khayuung wrote: »
    ...not another one.

The only way STO is going to have another faction, is to move away from factions in the first place. Have just Fleet based PvP, and allow everyone to attack everyone else should they declare war.

I don't know how that works with canon, but the mechanics of the game (and the aptitude of the devs) do not allow for proper management for yet another faction.

I'd much rather one have a third party faction that eventually has to choose between Starfleet and KDF. Its the best compromise we have. As such, all we need is to beef up KDF missions for 1-50, then have the new factions roll on the side they want once they clear their tutorial.

Why is nobody reading my OP?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    klingons.

They should be part of the Federation as that is what they are in SFB in the Alliance vs the Coalition.
    Star Trek Gamers