test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Need/Greed argument.

2»

Comments

• jknamejkname Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well, sometimes you actually want to use those uncommon and common items, perhaps because this is your first time taking that toon through STFs and therefore the only things you have on you is stuff you could pick up cheap off the exchange with the cash gained from selling off your free level-up vendortrash.

But, of course, everyone says they NEED those, so you can't actually say you ACTUALLY need those.
  • amdarkwolfamdarkwolf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    jkname wrote: »
    Well, sometimes you actually want to use those uncommon and common items, perhaps because this is your first time taking that toon through STFs and therefore the only things you have on you is stuff you could pick up cheap off the exchange with the cash gained from selling off your free level-up vendortrash.

But, of course, everyone says they NEED those, so you can't actually say you ACTUALLY need those.

Kinda gotta roll my eyes at this... I mean who, and how, could someone step into even a NORMAL stf at 45 and NOT have any slot AT LEAST Filled by a WHITE mk X?

I don't think its even possible... maybe a tiny slim chance the MORON didn't understand how to equip something?

No I'm sorry, anyone running stf's can't possibly 'Need' (And i mean need not the roll need) white mk X/XI gear.. or even green engines/deflector/shields(Since MANY storylines give much better options than ANY random loot) - Purple.. MAYBE, if not a weapon.

But the rest, Really sorry, I just can't see someone in a stf with empty gear slots and if so, they don't belong in a stf... let alone playing STO.

Now as in needing (the roll) so that u can sell to vender? I agree, for the most part thats what veryone does, and I can easily see someone being 'poor' when running stfs(Thanks to my fleets, I am often below 10k ec while running stfs) - and being that any non purple weapon, non blue or better console, and any and all engine/shield/deflector pulled out of stf's gets forced fed to the venders, I have no problem with everyone 'needing' the junk.. cuz i do too.

Point is, the greed button is just there to create drama, and the only people I see ******** about people NOT using it are teh same people who want to snag the 'expensive items' so they can sell on the exchange.
  • mattimeo97mattimeo97 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    chuckwolf wrote: »
    Frankly I find the whole need/greed thing annoying, it should be a simple round robin drop system, you get what drops. As for the issue of clicking need, greed or pass I simply click one at random just to get that box off my screen, it's annoying as all get out.

Actually, this is exactly how I run any STFs or other team/fleet queues that I do with my fleeties. I set the loot threshold to Rare (Blue) and the loot type to Round Robin. This way everybody gets something in turn, with no stupid rolling for loot.
  • angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    i always thought greed out ranked need. thats why i always went with need. in sto and tor.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    i always thought greed out ranked need. thats why i always went with need. in sto and tor.

This is why I don't get as angry about people "Need"ing as some folks do; it's an obvious system to those of us who've been playing MMOs for years, but to folks who haven't, your interpretation is a completely reasonable and common one.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    mattimeo97 wrote: »
    Actually, this is exactly how I run any STFs or other team/fleet queues that I do with my fleeties. I set the loot threshold to Rare (Blue) and the loot type to Round Robin. This way everybody gets something in turn, with no stupid rolling for loot.
    Same here. It's much more enjoyable teaming when those stupid, worthless, POS need/greed boxes don't show up!!!!

EDIT: WHEN forced to use need/greed I only bother with Need on things I want(to keep), which isn't much.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • onlineangelonlineangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    amdarkwolf wrote: »
    This is a rant, just a warning.

I want to know what the big fraking deal is over people needing stuff in runs. I mean, ANYTHING that someone would ***** about needing on would not be bound, so it can be freely traded, given, sold, etc. I don't get why people will literally spend hours sending you tells and bashing your name in pub channels, because you 'needed' all the loot.

if something dropped that you wanted, just ask for it, No big deal, the one and only reason I can see people moaning and ******** about it is because they want everyone to 'greed' until they see a shiny item that can slap on the exchange for lots of money, and they 'need' it while everyone else is stuck greeding it. Yes it means the people ******** are the ones who are the REAL loot ninja's.

Greed as a button should not even exist, it only creates drama. Should simply be roll/pass.

I personally would rather my team focus on the battle rather than picking though loot. And anyone running elite STF's shouldn't be depending on stuff that happens to drop as random loot. If you do, you don't even belong in NORMAL stf's.

K rant over. (And a wave to the Eric Cartmon who now runs the EliteSTF channel, can't want till I can have a talk with the chan owner :D)

This arguement is simple...

They want you to click greed on everything, cept purples or chips/tech... Why? So if they see something they really WANT they can click need and win it un hindered. (liek you suggest)

Like you, I don't have time, patients or the will to sit looking at every item, deciding if I need that for a fleet m8, for me or for 1 of my alts.

For anyone else in the game to suggest they know what items i need better than i do is just arrogant...

This isn't Star Trek, cept by name... It makes me sad how this game has changed my opinion of Star Trek as a whole.

There is no money in Star Trek, yet this game is driven by greed, from the developers down to individuals. Gene Roddenbry would turn in his grave.
  • therealtedtherealted Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Gene Roddenbry would turn in his grave.
    Only because he's not getting a cut. ;)
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    There is no money in Star Trek, yet this game is driven by greed, from the developers down to individuals. Gene Roddenbry would turn in his grave.

Except for the fact Roddenberry himself wrote lines in TOS and TNG indicating there was money in Star Trek.

Unless we're saying off-the-cuff offscreen comments are higher in the canon hierarchy than actual onscreen dialog.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • intrepidukintrepiduk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'd rather they just give each player in the STF the same reward bag for completing the optional, no needing, greeding or passing.

Simples.
  • lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    aarons8 wrote: »
    i dont see what the big deal is, if everyone hits need then the whole team has the same chance to get it..
    its not like one person is scooping up all the loot..

if you dont really want it, hit greed, then if everyone else passes you get it.. then just recycle it.

if everyone hits pass, then it just stays floating in space.. might as well recycle it to make some ec?

I'll 2nd that emotion... the "greed" button is the dumbest idea I've seen. And when you're trying not to get your tail feathers singed the last thing you want to have to do is pause to reflect over the loot table... "Need" or "Pass" simplifies things tremendously.

Also... love the Siggy (especially the pic of the Liberator)
    :cool:
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!