Install Arc
Options

Cryptic and the Borgs Origins

13»

Comments

• Options
    mithril2098mithril2098 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    actually i get the opposite impression. the borg come across a lot like an extreme form of Landru from TOS. a population completely dominated by a central artificial entity.

only with the borg, this entity is a gestalt of every member, instead of having its own seperate identity.

the borg queen doesn't seem to actually command the collective either, though she has major influence. IMO the queen represents a means by which the collective safely sublimates the self-expression and independence of the drones.... comparable to the Red Hour Landru allowed the natives of Beta III, only expressed as a specific person constantly instead of a regular period of no control.

i would imagine that the borg began without their prosthetic enhancements, and just their collective consciousness (and related implant). this might well have been the result of a desire for seeking a 'perfect society' with no war, privation, poverty, etc. the resulting collective then eventually started using other implants and prosthetics as a way to more efficiently deal carry all the gear required for each drone to do their jobs.

"Tiny little dots far, far away. Our eyes drawn to the twinkle of a hundred billion galaxies. Giving life to illusion, illusion to life. Something upon which to hang our hopes."
    - Tobias LeConte - Dream Weaver - seaQuest DSV
  • Options
    zabonamzabonam Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    kain9prime wrote: »
    If it was anything along the lines of the Destiny series, no thanks. One of the most bizarre and ridiculous origin stories ever conceived. Some things are better left unsaid and unknown...

...I'm looking at YOU, Typhon Pact, and the silly concept regarding the nature of the Breen.

:rolleyes:

I liked those books :(
  • Options
    age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The Borg in the game are nnothing like the way they are in the show.They don't even use the same weaponery as in cutting beams and gravametric torpedos all of which are in SFC3.The TV borg don't have shields they regenerate ther ships.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    age03 wrote: »
    The Borg in the game are nnothing like the way they are in the show.They don't even use the same weaponery as in cutting beams and gravametric torpedos all of which are in SFC3.The TV borg don't have shields they regenerate ther ships.

Well, I don't think Borg deserve to be the big boogeymen of Star Trek forever. And I can think of ways they're overpowered in game.

For example, Borg with personal shields down in game can still adapt to weapons fire.

I really hope Into the Hive marks a major hiatus for the Borg in this game and I wouldn't shed a tear if it's the last Borg Collective piece of content ever in STO.
  • Options
    tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So many theories. Quite fascinating. I am sure the answer is less complicated.

In the mid 21st century, Mechanon gains preeminance over the super villains of earth. He then destroys the Champions and takes over Cryptic and PWE by using nanotechnology to assimilate them. Knowing he would need forms that would be well received by the common post apocalypse human race, he designed his nano soldiers to take the form of the space zombies we now call the Borg. Their current incarnation is simply his magnificent and perfected dream of the end of all organics and the perfection of machine domination.

Mechanon forever. :D

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • Options
    admiralbrad77admiralbrad77 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Very interesting topic (Season 5 of Ent was also supposed to reveal that T'Pol was half Romulan) but if Cryptic had info about this they wouldn't be allowed to share with us, unless ingame in form of a Featured Episode series for example.

just wondering, T'Pol was really half Romulan, wow where does it say that i would like to see that info and read up on it, so that means was she also a spy?
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    just wondering, T'Pol was really half Romulan, wow where does it say that i would like to see that info and read up on it, so that means was she also a spy?

That was an idea for a season 5 episode that never got produced, so it's not canon. And even if it had been, I doubt she would have been a spy.

To the OP: note that the Unimatrix 0047 Command Ships look suspiciously similar to V'Ger.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    age03 wrote: »

The Borg do use Cutting Beams in STO, its a Red Anti-Proton Beam. This is really the first time Cutting Beams have been accurately used, compared to SFC3 that they were basically energy weapons.

And outside of SFC3, it's never been stated what type of Torpedo the Borg use.
    I really hope Into the Hive marks a major hiatus for the Borg in this game and I wouldn't shed a tear if it's the last Borg Collective piece of content ever in STO.

Yeah, the Borg have really been overdone. But looks like Cryptic is focusing more on the Tholians and the Mirror Universe lately. And looks like the Romulans are next.
  • Options
    tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The Borgs primary method of attack in every show I've seen has been tractor, cutting beam, board and assimilate. They are not a reproducing species. They don't have massive breeding tanks to supply living people or beings to assimilate to replace losses from attrition.

Frankly, the whole Borg story line makes little sense. The purpose for combining machine with a life form is to create a unity that is more effective than the separate components. The Borg take away all vestiges of individuality and make unthinking mindless automatons without initiative or drive. A pure machine is more efficient, easier to produce, easier to control, and more versatile. Logic would say firing a missile loaded with flesh disolving engine coolant to instantly destroy the tissue leaving functionless nano scrap would make the whole story short and final.

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE