test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Target Lock Randomly Unlocking

trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
edited September 2012 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
An annoying space combat issue, especially for science ships, who depend on target locks for Sensor Analysis. I've seen it before Season 6 arrived, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't a one-time thing.

There are two ways it can happen:

1. During a battle, for no reason, it'll randomly unlock until you either manually target the ship again, or fire when the enemy is in your targeting arc.

2. When using a self-target power (like Science Team), sometimes it removes your current target lock.

The key issue being that it's entirely random; no consistency or pattern to it. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all during a battle, and sometimes it happens several times against one enemy.

As far as I've seen, it happens regardless of your ship, profession or any other factors. If it happens that is, because of the random factor.

Can we get a look at this issue?
Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
Post edited by trek21 on

Comments

• zodiemishzodiemish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I have had the same thing happen to me. I just figured it was some new power NPCs were using to disrupt my lock. but if it is a bug then it should be fixed. Those NPCs are making my life harder. :D
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    zodiemish wrote: »
    I have had the same thing happen to me. I just figured it was some new power NPCs were using to disrupt my lock. but if it is a bug then it should be fixed. Those NPCs are making my life harder. :D
    Well, the NPC's have definitely gotten smarter, in some way :) I now see every single Klingon ship shifting power to their forward shields by default, and when one side is down, they try and cover the gap. They don't do it every time, but compared to before, it's an improvement. And it's not just the Klingons doing that latter part.

Plus, they're using their special weapons and abilities, like the Bio Warhead, and that Aceton Assimilator.

But disrupting our target locks isn't one of those. I've made sure to see how and when this issue happens, and it doesn't seem to be the result of any enemy actions, or any I've listed above. It's apparently just an issue in the code somewhere...

And considering it affects ships, regardless of faction, ship classification, or any other factor... I'd say it's an issue worth looking at, even if the priority isn't high
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • astroroblaastrorobla Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yes, this one is killing me. Tac Team, Sci Team, Eng Team all cause target lock to shift... sometimes. Also I think I've seen it on Attack Pattern delta.

Also related is the loss of a friendly target lock (like when trying to heal freighters). Half the time I lose lock and it goes to me instead.
    Now a top-rated spotlight mission!
    STO-sig.jpg
    edited July 2012
    Anyone else seeing this? I've been trying to see more about what triggers it.

I use a game controller with key binds that often use 2-key combos. These seem to trigger the target shift. The times the target shift does not happen may be simply when there are no other available targets in the field of view.

What kind of key bind setup do you have?
    STO-sig.jpg
    edited July 2012
    One other seemingly-related problem is that the key combo I have to select friendlies (for heals) isn't sticky. As soon as I let go of the modifier key for that key bind, I lose target lock on the friendly.
    STO-sig.jpg
  • borthaniusborthanius Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I too have this problem & wonder if Cryptic can do anything without breaking something else? Have you no quality controll Cryptic? Just keep on pumping out more unwanted trash & just add this latest bug to the ignore list, like you've done with cloaking & all the rest. Pathetic Cryptic, simply pathetic.
    edited July 2012
    I'm going to submit an in-game bug report on this, but I would love to nail down more of the specifics so that we stand a better chance of getting it fixed.

Unfortunatley it seems to be something that affects a smaller fraction of the user base, making it harder for them to track down.

For me it seems to occur when I use keybinds that combine more than one key on a game controller. The command executes, but it's like it is immediately followed by a select next target command.

Specifically what kind of controller setup are you guys using?
    STO-sig.jpg
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    astrorobla wrote: »
    I'm going to submit an in-game bug report on this, but I would love to nail down more of the specifics so that we stand a better chance of getting it fixed.

Unfortunatley it seems to be something that affects a smaller fraction of the user base, making it harder for them to track down.

For me it seems to occur when I use keybinds that combine more than one key on a game controller. The command executes, but it's like it is immediately followed by a select next target command.

Specifically what kind of controller setup are you guys using?
    My control setup is keyboard/mouse combo. My only change in the default controls is in ground/space movement keys. (WASD to Up, Down, Left, Right)

In space combat, I mostly use the mouse to hit the Fire All Weapons button, along with activate Boff abilities, using the aforementioned keys to steer the ship in the meantime. Usually only when small bugs happen do I have to use the keyboard controls to activate them. And the Target Unlocking issues occurs inconsistentally and randomly, but it's never a one-time thing.
    Was named Trek17.

• pingaheadpingahead Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Very annoying and very random. It happens with the gateways, transformers and generators in CSE also.
  • latinumloverlatinumlover Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The patch may have messed up some of the control settings.
    Like:
    Click unselects target
    Only attack if target selected

Maybe?
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    A bump for this because it's driving me insane. Fix the target lock!
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • carmenaracarmenara Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The worst time it happens is when I'm in a PvP match and I try to donate an extra ST or TT to a teammate under fire and it loses lock and the heal is wasted on myself.

*teammate explodes soon after*

Nooooo :P Fix the bug!
    STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
    edited August 2012
    BUMP!

Not going away. Not learning to live with it.
    edited September 2012
    Bumparoony.

Is anyone reading this? :confused:
  • catcherintheskycatcherinthesky Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Noticed this issue over the last 2 days... Fleet blockade is a pain. I'm healing myself instead of target, alot.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    definitely getting worse, especially on targeted sci ships. Must be some new NPC power, especially the MVAM promethius within 5 seconds of it breaking up- impossible to target any of it's sub-ships.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • penclrtistpenclrtist Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I was on my KDF running infected ground the other day and it was dropping lock. Settings were ok. Tab targeting was also cycling through the fed characters on my team though I couldnt shoot them (I tried :))
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]