test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So How's you Starbase Grind going?

levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
It's like a Ghost town in here as far as Starbases go - just wondering how the Grind is effecting everyone?

How are those Lvl 4 projects going? What are some of the requirements?

I would prefer to hear from fleets under 50 active members - which is what Cryptic based its stats on.

a 400 person fleet probably does not feel the grind yet.

but if you are a lower ranking member of a super fleet i would like to hear what you think - not really interested what the top thinks.
Post edited by levi3 on

Comments

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    My KDF Fleet, 33 people, is currently T3 Tac, T2 Engineering and T1 Science - I guess those Klinks don't believe science is important. :) Of course earning Dilithium is fairly easy on the KDF side. It's like it's stored under every rock there. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    ryanevryanev Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm in a fleet with about 40-50 unique players and with about 10 players active at any given time.
    So far we're almost at tier3 (only because we started as 5 man fleet with 2 players soloing trough tier 0 and 1).

Except for the dilithium, the rest of the grind is seamless.Even The top contributors have stopped contributing, to give a chance for the newer players to feel the thrill out of being part of something big, and still there isn't a problem with filling up the requirements (we're even considering starting doing special projects so players from different timezones can contribute whenever all the projects are running and they need the credits for whatever reason).

All in all with a good amount of people 1800 marks per day (2700 later) isn't all that hard.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    People's hoards have pretty much played out, and the progression is settling down into its long-term pace.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    My KDF Fleet, 33 people, is currently T3 Tac, T2 Engineering and T1 Science - I guess those Klinks don't believe science is important. :) Of course earning Dilithium is fairly easy on the KDF side. It's like it's stored under every rock there. :)

You are so witty - most people here don't read the KDF forums so they would have know idea what you are joking about:eek: But I know your poke was intended for me:cool:

Edit - and I have slowed down my pace to a crawl - just 40k/40k/43k xp on my base
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    As someone who has a one-man, multiple-character fleet, I must say the grind has gotten less with each tier and improvement to the base. I can pretty much cover the doffs needed with those I'm getting from SFA exchanges and recruitment assignments, as well as with those from the starbase. My Fleet Mark consumption is currently more than covered by filing commendation reports and the officer report dailies.

I stacked up on Personal Requisition & Fleet Provision tokens when the base moved from Tier 1 to Tier 2, so I'm able to concentrate on the 1000 xp starbase assignments, needing no dilithium, 600 marks and 60/60 doffs.

The plan was to stop after reaching T2 on each profession, but seeing the current requirements, I think T4 will be doable.

It took me way more effort and grinding to get the base from T0->T1 then it currently does.
  • Options
    jnohdjnohd Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    VERY small number of active members thanks to several game betas and games being out (MWO, GW2, WoW:MoP, and I'm sure Borderlands 2). Then again, that's the point of our group: we tend to try everything.

• Fleet Level 5: Starbase 1+, Shipyard 1, Industrial Fabricator 2, Transwarp Conduit 1
    • Current: 22,005 Mil XP, 27,505 Eng XP, 16,505 Sci XP, 4,000 Starbase XP.
    • ALL Featured Projects: Windows, Interior Decorator, Targs, Ops Screens, Banners.

So yeah... at this point its becoming a slow haul, but the 50FM for UGC is helping enormously.

The SB2 FM grind still hurts, however.
    Wampaq@Jnoh, Fleet Leader: ..Bloodbath and Beyond [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 'Iw HaH je Hoch!
    ALL HOLDINGS FINISHED! - Starbase 5-5-5-5 || Embassy 3-3-3 || Mine 3-3-3 || Spire 3-3-3
    A laid back KDF fleet welcoming independent, casual, & part-time players and groups. Roms & alts welcome.
    Send in-game mail to Wampaq@Jnoh, visit our recruitment thread and FB page for more info.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    ...earning Dilithium is fairly easy on the KDF side. It's like it's stored under every rock there. :)

Which is kind darkly humorous considering this would indicate the KDF blew up their own moon and destroyed their planet's ozone layer, forcing them to end hostilities or have no home-world, just because the dilithium deposits there were close and they could be lazy mining right there instead of all over the Empire...
    Wampaq@Jnoh, Fleet Leader: ..Bloodbath and Beyond [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 'Iw HaH je Hoch!
    ALL HOLDINGS FINISHED! - Starbase 5-5-5-5 || Embassy 3-3-3 || Mine 3-3-3 || Spire 3-3-3
    A laid back KDF fleet welcoming independent, casual, & part-time players and groups. Roms & alts welcome.
    Send in-game mail to Wampaq@Jnoh, visit our recruitment thread and FB page for more info.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    jnohd wrote: »
    Which is kind darkly humorous considering this would indicate the KDF blew up their own moon and destroyed their planet's ozone layer, forcing them to end hostilities or have no home-world, just because the dilithium deposits there were close and they could be lazy mining right there instead of all over the Empire...

Well, ny guess is, because Praxis blew up, that's why Dilithium is now everywhere in Klingon space. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Well, ny guess is, because Praxis blew up, that's why Dilithium is now everywhere in Klingon space. ;)

:eek:

HA!!! :D
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Right now, we are now finishing Tier 2, and going to stop there.

The costs have left us bankrupt, and we find the benefits of player starbases to be unfulfilling. Not to mention the hassle in doing Fleet Mark grinding which is now completely unfun due to people leveling their lowbie characters and all the griefers out there messing with the Fleet queues.

This may change if Cryptic made Fleet Marks available in all missions, so we can do the things we want to do. And the Starbase costs are scaled for small fleets.
  • Options
    kingdoxykingdoxy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Solo fleet here, not even Teir 1. But I sell my delithium for Zen since its such a good exchange rate right now. I have an Alt in a Teir 3 fleet and Don't see what the big deal is.
  • Options
    darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited September 2012
    My fleet has T3 Eng, Mil and Sci. We are doing Starbase 3 now which should be done 5 or so days time.

We will get to tier 4 and 5, but they are not critical and the resources needed are getting silly even with our 300+ fleet!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    darkenzedd wrote: »
    My fleet has T3 Eng, Mil and Sci. We are doing Starbase 3 now which should be done 5 or so days time.

We will get to tier 4 and 5, but they are not critical and the resources needed are getting silly even with our 300+ fleet!

"silly" is that a euphemism for "insane"?
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    We're doing well enough, all things considered. Still haven't hit T3 yet, though. White DOff requirements are proving to be a bit of a stumbling point that's slowing us down noticeably.

Our KDF branch is kinda pitiful, though. We're about 2/3 the way to T2 there. I'm kind of giving on on my Fleet Orion ship at the moment... ^^;
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The DOFF requirements are frigging RIDICULOUS. My tiny little fleet may never reach tier 3 because of that alone. I refuse to join some huge guild of strangers, and if PWE is smoking some bad granola if they think I'm paying real money for common duty officers.

:mad:
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Im in a few different fleets. some small and some huge. so i cant speak for everyone but im pretty happy with it. my small fleets seem pretty pleased just about hitting tier 2 now and the big ones are hitting tier 3 and above.

there could be more incentives along the way, and some of the doff requirements are turning out to be a bit steep but its generally going ok.

sometime it really comes down to the players that are helping you. you might be in a fleet of 5, but if all those players are hardcore players with shed loads of resources then its not a huge problem. or you could have a fleet of 50 people and no one really wants to contribute.

the important thing is try not to let the goal of the starbases consume you. play the game as you normally would and add in resources as you get them. try not to get too bogged down in always advancing the base as the be all and end all of your gameplay.
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The thing is, this fleet stuff is the only "new" thing there is to play at. I could go back to repeating STFs or something, but for me the game is all about the ships, and the only way to get the fleet ships is to grind out this fleet base stuff.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    my fleet died before geting most of every thing to T2 we got Eng to T1 Tac to T1 both where colse to T2 Sci we was going to leave at T1 for a good whlie
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    happymarvinhappymarvin Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    My fleet is just 200 Stem Bolts away from getting the T2 Base going. For some reason I'm having one hell of a time getting the damned things.

Once the T2 base is done, we'll start working on getting Eng to T2 so we can get can start getting ship weapons. After that I think we're going to slow down some.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    My fleet is just 200 Stem Bolts away from getting the T2 Base going. For some reason I'm having one hell of a time getting the damned things.

You know there are vendors who sell them for EC, right?

http://www.stowiki.org/Self_Sealing_Stem_Bolts
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    happymarvinhappymarvin Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    syberghost wrote: »
    You know there are vendors who sell them for EC, right?

http://www.stowiki.org/Self_Sealing_Stem_Bolts

I know, but I drained A LOT of EC buying commodities for other projects, plus batteries and hypos, not to mention a couple of consoles.

I'm spending the EC almost as fast as I'm earning it.
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I know, but I drained A LOT of EC buying commodities for other projects, plus batteries and hypos, not to mention a couple of consoles.

I'm spending the EC almost as fast as I'm earning it.

I know how you feel. I finished out my fleet's Bartender project after I noticed we probably weren't gonna be able to get it without grinding it out or paying loads of EC, so I just decided to do it, and get it outta the way.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Small fleets get financially shafted. I pointed this out a while back but of course Pakled World ignored it like most things. THey said small fleets wouldnt be hurt, think we all knew that was BS from the start
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • Options
    pianowizzypianowizzy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Our fleet of currently 8 unique active members (not sure if the last two are even contributing) and we got a T1 Shipyard, T1 Fabricator (currently grinding to T2), and a T2 Comm array, with the T2 Starbase as the current active project and the T2 Transwarp in queue.

It is, as it was designed, a powerful resource drain. I would have a much happier inner Ferengi if it were not for these Starbase projects and my dooming generosity.

I'm not sure how certain people are considering the projects as getting easier due to the increasing dilithium requirements and of course the 8k refining limit per day.
    Vulcan Science Officer -- Captain of the I.F.D. Gallifrey [Tholian Recluse]
    Ambassador of The Order Of Gallifrey // Representative of the 1701 Renegades

"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    wolfpacknz wrote: »
    Small fleets get financially shafted. I pointed this out a while back but of course Pakled World ignored it like most things. THey said small fleets wouldnt be hurt, think we all knew that was BS from the start

Indeed, I also said the same thing that this Starbase system wasn't for small fleets.

Granted, we don't have the numbers of how many Fleets have X ammount of players, but from my play time, most fleets are under 20 people. But not sure why they didn't add somekind of scaling feature that lowered costs based on fleet size?

Or give Small Fleets alternatives. I made a post few months ago, wondering why they couldn't have small fleets work together and share resources, share resources with a large fleet (there are fleets with alternate / reserve fleets), or have small fleets be on existing Hubs and have less to unlock, since the majority of the work is basically unlocking NPCs we already have on ships and Hubs.

Really, given the flaws we are seeing, the Starbase system was rushed and was mainly designed as a money sink.......eh more like a money toilet (ba-woosh). ;)

As for Fleet Marks, why grinding? It just forces people to work on one thing. If you got Fleet Marks as a general mission reward, there be less sence of grinding and people wouldn't get frustrated or discouraged. You do what you want to do, and like those Experience points, it adds up and its added to the Fleet. So really, Cryptic needs to go back to the drawing board with the fleet system.

On that thought, makes me worried that the Reputation system might be as flawed and we end up grinding for reputation.......... /facepalm