test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What is this annoying 'repulsor' beam players are using?

2»

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    darkjeff wrote: »
    I had a hilarious reverse of this situation last night, a Romulan warbird had me tractored, launched high yield plasma torpedoes at me... and then repulsored me away, giving me time to take out the torpedos. I couldn't believe it.

I believe Romulan Warbirds do not use Tractor Beam Repulsors, but Photonic Shockwave. It also comes with a push/repel effect, deals some kinetic damage and stuns you (which means you cannot activate any abilities for a short time).

I believe there are some Gorn (?) ships that drop mines and then use Tractor Beam Repulsors to ensure that you don't accidentally fly into the space hazard they created. Gorn are good people.Well, if the race I had in mind are Gorn, and not something else.

Mustrum "But when that Gorn Guy in the first DS9 Featured Episode Mission said his Empire was stronger than ever, I wanted to tell him that his Empire was dead and broken and he was now just a mere servant of the Klingons, but for some reason, that dialog option didn't exist" Ridcully
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hm, not sure what it was, then. I didn't get my abilities disabled though, I was immediately able to fire off Fire At Will to take out the torpedoes.
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I use repulsors for:

- npc control ~85% of the time
    - cause people to rage ~15% of the time
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I've been seeing it more frequently in STF's and PvP. I've had it used on me in PvP, and don't recall it doing any damage or hindering my strategy whatsoever.

Like the regular tractor beam, repulsors deals a negligible amount of kinetic damage. I suspect that some players start using it, and relying on it, during the Romulan missions, when it comes in handy for stopping the HY Plasma Torp volleys.

Then, through the power of inertia, they keep it and keep using it.
  • coolfatburnercoolfatburner Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Actually was gonna post weeks ago but forgot...

... the battleships in the Mirror Universe Invasion daily seem to use repulsors that can actually do significant kinetic damage under the right circumstances.

And as some have noted, do well against pets. (too bad Cryptic refuses to add a "pet status window" so we know how many we have spawned at any given moment!)

:mad:
  • coolfatburnercoolfatburner Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Like the regular tractor beam, repulsors deals a negligible amount of kinetic damage. I suspect that some players start using it, and relying on it, during the Romulan missions, when it comes in handy for stopping the HY Plasma Torp volleys.

Then, through the power of inertia, they keep it and keep using it.

On a side-note, I can't think of too many other Trek games where you actually shoot incoming projectiles like you can plasmas in STO.

Back in OB of STO, I had a helluva time dealing with Romulan ships til I figured that out!

I remember the old SFC games, you have a point-defense system that could shoot down incoming missiles... And in Elite Force 2, there was a miserable level where you were playing Duck-Hunt against incoming projectiles...

...but shooting projectiles with ship weapons might have been new to STO?

• cptapollocptapollo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    one of the "nerfed into uselessness" skills from sci

dip squat dmg, and effect on players in pvp nonexistent. only use is Infected Space in case some noob blows gens early, but even then u can just use gravity well... it lasts longer.
  • carmenaracarmenara Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    For 'insurance purposes' TBR still has better usefulness on KASE than a gravity well. Ships without sufficient graviton generator output will notice they cannot stop probes with a gravwell as the NPCs there have inertial dampers or that gravwells were nerfed even more to the point of uselessness.
    STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    carmenara wrote: »
    For 'insurance purposes' TBR still has better usefulness on KASE than a gravity well. Ships without sufficient graviton generator output will notice they cannot stop probes with a gravwell as the NPCs there have inertial dampers or that gravwells were nerfed even more to the point of uselessness.

and consider also, that the borg console and deflector...aswell as the maco deflector give a boost of nearly 30 points to graviton generators...so basically tractor beams and repulsor receive an automatic buff with the "standard to use" set which is BORG/MACO

so, repulsor deals 500 dmg per tick or more (even the tier 1 version, which is also a Ltd. rank) and is buffed by certain set pieces.
    Go pro or go home
  • intrinsicalintrinsical Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    One trick I enjoy using a lot is the GW+TBR combo. Move your ship till its 5.5km to 6km from your intended target and pop gravity well together with tractor beam repulsors. Now watch as the trapped ships get bounced between the gravity well and repulsors like a yo-yo. Of course, you'll need to be very precise or the repulsors either don't work or ships will be bounced out of the gravity well.
  • paradise1killerparadise1killer Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This Thread is a JK.

None of you know the power that lies beneath.

Good luck on your journey.
    Nova Core
    ParadiseKiller

House of Beautiful Orions
    Zeadonouse
    ToLate