test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Rare borg salvage and rare borg tech...

grethoregrethore Member Posts: 41 Arc User
Is there something wrong with the Rare Borg salvage and rare borg tech drops or something? I haven't seen ANY of the tech pieces in a week, and only about 3 of the salvages during that time. Even the common tech pieces have been mysteriously absent lately. In fact, across 4 characters able to do STF's, ever since season 6 started, I haven't seen diddlysquat of anything other than EDC's.

I used to average one or the other every 5 STF's or so...now though....NOTHING at all.

WTF is up? Where they removed? Or did Cryptic nerf the drop rate to make us grind some more?

Signed.....Not a Happy Camper
Post edited by grethore on

Comments

• Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Nope still dropping.

Afraid you just having bad luck.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I know the feeling. Ever since The 2800 I've seen nothing but TRIBBLE. :(
  • Options
    chrisedallen89chrisedallen89 Member Posts: 17,293 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Nope still dropping.

Afraid you just having bad luck.

I doubt that...

I really do.

To me I think they nerfed the drop rates, I guess to pander to hardcore people. I don't think that is wise. I have been having the same problem a month of those STF's and nothing... So its not bad luck, they just nerfed it.
  • Options
    thepleasuredomethepleasuredome Member Posts: 308
    edited August 2012
    Such is the (lack of) beauty of a random number generator that really isn't random.
    Arawn & Ihasa
    OP *is* the new balance, whether you know it or not! Gecko says so.
    Season 7 - Exodus, available online. U buy nao!
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/738221-monetizing-perfect-world-s-latest-update
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2012
    Honestly, I'm swimming in so much borg salvage that I wish you could trade it for EDCs or doffs. I've been feeding it to the vastly overpriced dilithium box store because I'm running out of room to put the stuff. I've got two XII space sets (omega and maco) on my main, and an extra maco shield for another ship- AND two more prototype shield techs sitting in the bank.

On my KDF I have 2/3rds of the XII honor guard set, and just earlier today I spent 5 rare borg shield techs on dilithium.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    illcadia wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm swimming in so much borg salvage that I wish you could trade it for EDCs or doffs. I've been feeding it to the vastly overpriced dilithium box store because I'm running out of room to put the stuff. I've got two XII space sets (omega and maco) on my main, and an extra maco shield for another ship- AND two more prototype shield techs sitting in the bank.

On my KDF I have 2/3rds of the XII honor guard set, and just earlier today I spent 5 rare borg shield techs on dilithium.

Thanks for rubbing it in.

I can't even get ANY of the X set. I'm not even talking about the XI or XII sets, but the X freakin set stuff.

Put it this way, I usually get my def, eng and shield first.....well, I've gotten enough EDC's to get ALL my weapons up to X level. Yet, not one single rare OR common tech token. NOT A FREGGIN ONE.

Bad luck is one thing, but I for one do NOT believe in streaks of bad luck like this. It's pure BS and the drop rate was nerfed a LOT by Crypalled in the hopes of getting us to spend more money.

I play to have fun. Grinding is NOT fun. I do not and WILL NOT spend money on a grind game. If Crypalled thinks this will generate more income, think again, all they're gonna do is TRIBBLE people off more.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I doubt that...

I really do.

To me I think they nerfed the drop rates, I guess to pander to hardcore people. I don't think that is wise. I have been having the same problem a month of those STF's and nothing... So its not bad luck, they just nerfed it.

Ya well, I've about had enough of this game as it is. This might be just enough for me to leave. From the horrible amount of bugs, glitches and constant game crashing, to a serious lack of content and anything new going straight to the C-store...well, I guess F2P type of games can shove it where the sun doesn't shine. I'll go some place else and pay my $15 a month for some actual game content.
  • Options
    baronvonhellerbaronvonheller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I am fairly new to the game so I don't know what the rates used to be, but, in the month or so that I've been a Va, I've gotten three (3) non edc drops. 2 engine tech, 1 prototype. Total waste of time, imho. They really should fix the drop rates.
  • Options
    eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Went through a couple months of playing STFs and did not see one tech drop from Normals - green or blue. That's when I stopped playing STO regularly. Haven't been on much since.
  • Options
    unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm not privy to the drop rates, but I've been reliably getting Rare Borg Salvage every 2 or so STFs I run (on normal).

I suppose you'd like to believe in this hardcore pandering conspiracy, and you're free to do so, but Occam's Razor would imply that you simply have TRIBBLE luck.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    grethore wrote: »
    Ya well, I've about had enough of this game as it is. This might be just enough for me to leave. From the horrible amount of bugs, glitches and constant game crashing, to a serious lack of content and anything new going straight to the C-store...well, I guess F2P type of games can shove it where the sun doesn't shine. I'll go some place else and pay my $15 a month for some actual game content.

Your not wrong. I am quite pissed and haven't logged any hours in the game in protest or bought anything from the C-Store because of it too.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I'm not privy to the drop rates, but I've been reliably getting Rare Borg Salvage every 2 or so STFs I run (on normal).

I suppose you'd like to believe in this hardcore pandering conspiracy, and you're free to do so, but Occam's Razor would imply that you simply have TRIBBLE luck.

That is doubt ful TRIBBLE luck is hardly ever this bad. It is a loong long grind and its a waste. Because you don't get the item you need. Also Occam's Razor says the same to them nerfing the drop rates because people complained..
  • Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The random number generator is just that...random. You have exactly the same chance at that rare drop the first time your run an STF or the 1000th time your run the same STF. I'd had all sorts of dry spells and monsoons in terms of drops. I've had a rare shield on one STF and a rare engine drop the very next STF I ran. I've run 119 (normal) STFs in a row and not gotten any common or rare drop. I had purchased a shield and defectors during that dry run and guess what I got on that 120 run? A rare Engine Drop. ARG!!!!! Murphy just rubbing my face in it. And on one character I've gotten engine (4) and shield (3) drops (both rare and common) but nary a deflector drop. Such is the way of the luck gods.
  • Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    From my point of view the drops are fine. Once or twice a week I get a proto tech drop, and often proto salvage (at least once a night).

So much so I've now stacked 4 proto deflector, 3 engine and 1 shield techs in my bank for when I get new ships to turn in for MKXII gear. Not to mention the 40 proto salvage, 30 rare salvage and 300+ EDCs I'm sitting on. I turn in any rare tech for dilithium straight away as it's useless to me otherwise.

For those complaining about not getting rare tech drops for MKXI gear, just hand in 40 EDC and get them! If you play it so much but don't have MKXI gear yet, hand in all that EDC you have for the MKXI gear. And really, the MKXI gear is 90-95% as good as the MKXII sets.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I doubt that...

I really do.

Sorry to disagree, but I think it's the opposite.

Truthfully, I didn't completely my FIRST ground set until a few weeks ago, after playing the STFs since Day 1. Now all of a sudden I'm seeing drops like crazy, and once where I went through an 8 month dry spell, now I'm almost at 4 complete MK12 sets!

And usually, there is at least someone getting at least a rare set per match, when before it was like 1 out of 5 would manage to get even a rare tech item.

So I really think they did increase the drop rates significantly. That or my bad luck has finally turned to good luck.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    So I really think they did increase the drop rates significantly. That or my bad luck has finally turned to good luck.

You've finally appeased the Random Number God. Tell me, what did you sacrifice?
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    You've finally appeased the Random Number God. Tell me, what did you sacrifice?

My money? :P

Maybe the Lords of Cryptic have gave mercy upon me and said. "Give him Tech" and it was good. That or the drop rates really go up after 1000 STFs. :P
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Maybe the Lords of Cryptic have gave mercy upon me and said. "Give him Tech" and it was good. That or the drop rates really go up after 1000 STFs. :P

So it took pity on you then? :P
  • Options
    unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Also Occam's Razor says the same to them nerfing the drop rates because people complained..

Why would people complain about having high drop rates? And no, Occam's Razor points to the SIMPLEST possible explanation. What's simpler, you having TRIBBLE luck dealing with a random number generator, or Cryptic having a nonsensical response to a vague forum complaint? I'd bet a few spare Borg Salvages that it's the latter.

I don't mean to be harsh, but some of these wild conspiracy theories are why gamers are basically the Tea Party of nerd-dom.
  • Options
    liquidacid29liquidacid29 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for rubbing it in.

I can't even get ANY of the X set. I'm not even talking about the XI or XII sets, but the X freakin set stuff.

Put it this way, I usually get my def, eng and shield first.....well, I've gotten enough EDC's to get ALL my weapons up to X level. Yet, not one single rare OR common tech token. NOT A FREGGIN ONE.

Bad luck is one thing, but I for one do NOT believe in streaks of bad luck like this. It's pure BS and the drop rate was nerfed a LOT by Crypalled in the hopes of getting us to spend more money.

I play to have fun. Grinding is NOT fun. I do not and WILL NOT spend money on a grind game. If Crypalled thinks this will generate more income, think again, all they're gonna do is TRIBBLE people off more.

if all you want is the X set who cares about the tech drops... just grind it out and buy it with EDC... in fact there is no point to your complaint unless you are talking about XII because those are the only ones you actually need the tech to acquire
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    skurfskurf Member Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    One night, I played 5 elite space STFs in a row. Out of those 5, I got 3 Prototype drops. So in about an hour and a half of play I was able to get the full XII Honor Guard set. I played maybe 8 or 10 STFs before these on this toon so it took about 15 total STFs to get a full XII set. However, on my Fed toon, I have played maybe 80 or so STFs and have only gotten 1 Prototype drop.
  • Options
    jelidanjelidan Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I am just into my second month in the game and my toon has a full load out of MKxi ground, mark xi omega and maco sets for space and 2 pieces of maco mk xii space. Yesterday I pulled 2 prototype salvage and a prototype shield tech in about 5 runs. It is probably just luck. Sometimes I go days with nothing and sometimes I get several items in the same day.
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Is there something wrong with the Rare Borg salvage and rare borg tech drops or something?
    I have given up on trying to get elite tech drops from stfs. Fighting to get a random drop is not worth the effort. If some of them do fall into my lap, I will shrug it off as just dumb luck. Elite Cure and Infected ground stfs have been recently tweaked upward; thus, the elite ground missions have been made that much harder. As a result of the new difficulty settings, I have reduced my participation in all Borg stfs. On one hand, I have abandoned Borg space stfs entirely. On the other hand, I have reduced my participation in ground stfs from steady to casual to sporadic. Chances are I will be abandoning all Borg stfs entirely. "Star Trek: Online" has so many other things worth exploring.

I have mentally changed the game. Instead of seeing the elite stf gear as the top set, I now see the Veteran MACO and Omega sets as the ceiling to reach. You can get the Veteran sets by working for them; thus, the player can control the outcome. When it comes to getting the elite sets, the drops are out of everyone's control. Its like real life. Don't worry about the things you cannot control, and only focus on the things you can control.

If you are not getting a specific tech drop, *shrugs*, just build up your Borg salvage.
  • Options
    voyagerrulzvoyagerrulz Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I have noticed this as well.
    I have 3 toons on my account (TAC,ENG,SCI)
    My Tac is the main one created from the start and i have managed to get both sets of OMEGA & MACO mark 12.
    Now i had created my SCI & ENG toons shortly after this but never really played these much..Recently i decided to get back into them and fix up the builds etc and go for the Mark 12 space items for them as well.
    OK here is the weird part.. with my ENG toon id say all up i managed to play maybe 40-50 games of STF's and managed to get both sets of OMEGA & MACO mark 12 .
    SO i moved onto my SCI toon then.
    Have Got both Mark 12 for Engines & Shields (Omega & Maco)...yet nothing for Deflectors.
    Ive been doing KA Elite nonstop.. I must have at least done KA now over 150 times just on this SCI toon and not once has it dropped a Prototype Deflector Piece.
    Am I doing something wrong?? Or have i just become really unlucky now?
    Are they are tips on helping ur chances to obtain it? or is it just pure luck?

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    arcademasterarcademaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Ah, the daily gambler's fallacy thread.
  • Options
    xathanael#5083 xathanael Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You just must have some terrible luck, I get them to drop all the time. Of course I play in the early A.M. so that might be helping too, not sure though. But like I said, I get them as loot all the time.
  • Options
    sortofsortof Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You are unlucky, I do get a prototype tech every week, every character, and salvage even more often. My impression is that they became a reliable source of extra dilithium. Todya I got a prototype tech drop, 2 prototype salvage and 4 rare ones, out of about 7-8 STFs.
    Whatever we deny or embrace, we belong togheter./ Pat Benatar
  • Options
    baronvonhellerbaronvonheller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I think that at the very least, they should create assimilated tholian lockboxes that contain random EDC's, prototype salvage, equipment, etc.

The audacity of including Tholian lockboxes as part of an STF drop is just stunning.
  • Options
    defcon1776defcon1776 Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    MHO: luck of the draw. I started right after S6 launch to go for elite STFs and on my 9th run, got proto shields, 10th run proto deflector and the 12th run proto engine. Since then, I haven't been so lucky with set pieces only 2 more since but I have averaged (est.) 1 out of 6 runs proto salvage which now are stackinng in the bank. I only do 1 maybe 2 runs a day now. Hope OP's luck improves.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." Q
    Join the 44th Fleet. [FED and KDF] Apply Online: startrek.44thfleet.com
  • Options
    bubblygumsworthbubblygumsworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I've lost count on how many proto salvage/ shield/ deflector/ engine tech I have picked up.

But I have not seen one proto PSG/ armour/ weapon tech in any ground STF (over 4 toons with 100s of ground runs between them, I have picked up heaps of rares though). Its about time some proto tech dropped for me :/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I drink, I vote, and I PvP!