test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Potential Induction of Ground-based Vehicles

flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
We saw Picard's Buggy in ST:Nemesis, and sometimes, when on a planet I do find myself having to run around quite a bit to get to a certain location; something that that would vastly be reduced in time if I had another form of transport to get around without the use of my boots.

Then it came to me. Wouldn't it be good if we could drive little buggy's. Limit them to three people, maybe strap an enhanced weapon on the back or something (Worf loved that, I could tell). It would be something to get about in a little quicker (maybe for specific missions) and would add something extra to the game.

Adding to that, you could include mini-games for people who own these buggy's (no doubt a C-Store Purchase; though I think 700 Zen for an EV suit is a little steep, so something around the 500 mark would be good).

One option could / would be racing. Get a number of players together (a form of Ground PvP) when said player gets their buggy (with or without Boff's) and drives around a course in the hopes of winning. Rewards could be given for first, second and third positions (be that EC points, Dilithium or Items).

I'm thinking it could work out? Though I'd like to see Poker come in first. Thoughts?
attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
Post edited by flash525 on

Comments

• Options
    stohansonstohanson Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    With the current trend if they ever made this, it'll be 2,000 zen points per character...
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    stohanson wrote: »
    With the current trend if they ever made this, it'll be 2,000 zen points per character...
    Heh, lets be a little more optimistic eh? I'm hopeful that, with something like this, we'd get it for free. If they want to add Zen purchases, they'd easily be able to create other ground vehicles that people can buy, but the standard one should come at no extra cost.
    garaks31 wrote: »
    Looks good, just needs to be implemented now.
  • Options
    kimmerakimmera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The biggest problem with ground vehicles is that they would require maps big enough to warrant the use of ground vehicles.

And that would mean anyone without such a vehicle would complain bitterly about it just being another cash grab, since trying to do anything on a map large enough to make ground vehicles meaningful would be very tedious without one.

It would be cool to have, but very unlikely... not to mention it would beg the question why they wouldn't simply be beamed from one spot to the next rather than have to ride?
  • Options
    avantgarde01avantgarde01 Member Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If/when they ever get around to an exploration revamp, this would make for an awesome addition. Increase the size of the average ground map and then it would really be viable.

There is still the question of whether this tech would be doable with their engine. As we've seen, when you beam up to your ship, you actually become your ship as opposed to being in your ship. If we had to actually become the ground vehicle it would still be cool, but wouldn't be quite as cool as having 3 people/boffs actually sitting in different seats, performing different functions.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    kimmera wrote: »
    And that would mean anyone without such a vehicle would complain bitterly about it just being another cash grab, since trying to do anything on a map large enough to make ground vehicles meaningful would be very tedious without one.
    Whilst true, such could be unique to specific missions. You'd still have the common ground missions which are foot-based only. Vehicle missions could / should / would be their own unique features.
    It would be cool to have, but very unlikely... not to mention it would beg the question why they wouldn't simply be beamed from one spot to the next rather than have to ride?
    The same question / reason / excuse could be applied to the scene in Nemesis. :)
    There is still the question of whether this tech would be doable with their engine. As we've seen, when you beam up to your ship, you actually become your ship as opposed to being in your ship. If we had to actually become the ground vehicle it would still be cool, but wouldn't be quite as cool as having 3 people/boffs actually sitting in different seats, performing different functions.
    Aye, this would be a worry somewhat. Either they'd have to glue the ground officers in question to the vehicle in question (thus no enter/exit vehicle); the mission(s) in question would be pure ground-vehicle based, or they'd have to alter their code somehow to allow for a little bit more customization.
  • Options
    sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
  • Options
    kimmerakimmera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    flash525 wrote: »
    Whilst true, such could be unique to specific missions. You'd still have the common ground missions which are foot-based only. Vehicle missions could / should / would be their own unique features.

Either they would have rewards justifying the purchase of vehicles (in which case those not willing to spend on vehicles would cry foul) or they would not (in which case there would be little incentive to do them at all).
    The same question / reason / excuse could be applied to the scene in Nemesis. :)

You are comparing a movie with a game, and a movie that was seen as questionable at best.
    The term 'jumping the shark' comes to mind.....
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Either they would have rewards justifying the purchase of vehicles (in which case those not willing to spend on vehicles would cry foul) or they would not (in which case there would be little incentive to do them at all).
    Then give ground based vehicles to everybody and have them 'available' only on certain, specific missions.
  • Options
    sinsofanempiresinsofanempire Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I agree to this idea. Mind, having a weapon on the top would make the halo fans complain you are copying them. It would most likely require major engine editing, and how a gun like that would work (in TPS mode, of course) would be complex (AoE projectiles?).

Still, if we could get this for something like the new Romulan ground missions in S7, then that would be awesome.

President of Alpha Solaris, a Federation fleet.

I used to be Sinsofasolarempire
  • Options
    intrepidukintrepiduk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    One of the most TRIBBLE things about Nemesis was the buggy.

I would much rather have a suttlecraft instead that I can fly around the planet environment.
  • Options
    mistree89mistree89 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I have to agree that shuttles and transporters do really make something like this a little obsolete but they would be really fun to have in a mission.

I know the devs were talking about finding a way to include the Argo a while back in a mission but would love to see this in game.
    Something along the lines of getting to drive one would be great and it would be an excellent opportunity to make use of the first person shooter mode by having parts of missions where you are the gunner and an NPC drives.

I'd love to see a hostile sand box planet along the lines of the Nimbus III with regressed technology where the colonists rely on these vehicles to get about. For frontier backwater planets this would be brilliant and allow to get something very trek back into the game that is sadly under represented, exploration.

If used right they could open up large areas of untapped game play and avoid players pulling donuts in the temples on vulcan. :D
  • Options
    skhcskhc Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    From a canon perspective: Yes, there was the Argo, so ground vehicles are canonical. But it was a once off and was used in exceptional circumstances that were concoted purely for an action sequence, like half of that bloody film. Generally in Star Trek, ground vehicles, particularly in combat have seemed fairly pointless. You have shuttles, and you have transporters. Anything that can't be beamed to is either shielded, underground or indoor, or AotA. Doesn't seem like something that can be solved by having an Argo.

Now I'm sure that people don't walk from one end of San Francisco to another, beam everywhere, or have public transit systems that go exactly from their front door to where they want to be in the 24th century, so vehicles probably see civilian use. But there doesn't seem to be much of a reason for one to be used by the crew of a starship.

From a gameplay perspective: I just don't see a place for it to be used at the moment. It'd have to be brought in as part of a bigger map/mission.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    skhc wrote: »
    From a canon perspective: Yes, there was the Argo, so ground vehicles are canonical. But it was a once off and was used in exceptional circumstances that were concoted purely for an action sequence, like half of that bloody film. Generally in Star Trek, ground vehicles, particularly in combat have seemed fairly pointless. You have shuttles, and you have transporters. Anything that can't be beamed to is either shielded, underground or indoor, or AotA. Doesn't seem like something that can be solved by having an Argo.

This was what I was thinking. We know that Klingons still use planetary vehicles, they could get some. But really, they don't make any sense at all. Even less then fighter-craft. Starfleet is using antigrav-technology for even the most basic things, urban-vehicles are just obsolete. Shuttles and transporter, period. And I can't imagine Klingons using these in actual combat, but hey in STO they even launch hundreds of puny, useless fighter-craft so go on. And while we're mention it, where are the Starfleet combat walkers? And bad-TRIBBLE battletanks? Lightsabres, please, and personal jetpacks would also absolutely rock...

I bet they will introduce vehicles at some point, only to mess with the star Wars MMO which has them. Damn it, they put every frigging nonsensical thing in this game because anyone else got it, and they can sell it for zen so yes. Brace yourself for buggy-funtime...
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    zzomb1zzomb1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The only way i see this in current game (same as with shuttle) that its actualy a mission based stuff, where you are not in controll of it, your just a shotter(along with the other captains and bofs) and an NPC is flying the thing not the players.
  • Options
    liquidacid29liquidacid29 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I can walk across even the largest ground map in game in a few minutes... what would I need a vehicle for?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]